Baseball Caps in MDR

Poohb

I would rather have some one wear a cap in the MDR than keep reading that people eat in the dinning room.

Seriously. It's a dining room.

Exactly how does someone wearing something on their head affect your food. This is why I eat in the WJ. Snobs rule the MDR.

Come on everyone, there have to be exceptions. I understand that an old cap covered with dirt and oil isn't acceptable. I bought a new John Deere cap, traditional green and yellow colors, for my next cruise. Hopefully there won't be an issue with my new, clean cap.

I remember reading a story about Bum Philips and Bear Bryant with respect to wearing hats inside. I couldn't dig it up but found this quote on wikipedia.

He was known for his trademark cowboy hat on the sidelines, except when the Oilers played in the Astrodome or other domed stadiums. (He stated that his mother taught him not to wear a hat indoors; his former boss Bear Bryant similarly refused to wear his trademark fedora during indoor games.)

I certainly wouldn't stick my nose in someone else's business if they decided to wear a ball cap in the MDR (don't want it punched :D) but to me its a step in the wrong direction. Next will be T Shirts, then wife beaters, then shorts and then you've turned a nice dining experience into nothing more than a buffet. Unless a person has a medical reason (i.e. cancer or some other sort of malady) and they wanted to wear a hat then I say go to the buffet and knock yourself out but stay out of the MDR.

I would rather have some one wear a cap in the MDR than keep reading that people eat in the dinning room.

Seriously. It's a dining room.

Exactly how does someone wearing something on their head affect your food. This is why I eat in the WJ. Snobs rule the MDR.

Good manners has nothing to do with being a snob.

Any time we've seen someone enter the dining room wearing a cap they have been asked to remove it. I think most times men just forget they have it on. Sometimes they just don't know that it isn't appropriate.

I've noticed recently at sporting events, the announcer will say "Please remove your hats for the playing of our National Anthem" because so many just don't know they are supposed to. It seems more and more, men are not taught when it is proper to remove their caps.

After my husband had brain cancer surgery he ended up with bald spots and 23 staples. He did wear a baseball cap or a Fedora hat while we went out to eat so not to gross out our servers and fellow guests.

###

The OP specifically noted any exceptions in regards to medical issues, and others have noted religious requirements.

M

I continue to be amazed by the number of people that somehow link their enjoyment of dinner to something that another person wears. Get over it.

Speaking just for myself, I don't care what someone else wears to dinner. However, I do know that baseball caps are not appropriate at dinner and I do enforce that rule with my sons. Just because someone happens to know that doesn't necessarily mean that they care one way or another what someone else wears. If someone wears a cap to dinner, I might notice but there is not a chance in the world it will affect me or my dinner.

I was alway taught to night wear your hat indoors unless it was for religious or medical reasons. I was also taught to never put your hat o the table when you or people are eating there.

I had went on a cruise after I had had kemo and lost my hair and went without wearing a hat in the MDR and asked the people I was sitting with that if they felt uncomfortable with the way I looked that I would put my hat on. Everyone at the table told me they were fine with the way I looked that I only need to put the hat on if I felt uncomfortable.

The new standard is NO STANDARDS????

I will take exception with one comment. ignorant means you do not know something. STUPID, means you know but are too lazy, arrogant, (you fill in the word that fits) to have a standard.

Today's mentality of "Oh, it is ok" Is garbage! The mentality is that if you accept everything, then you will feel so good about yourself because you are just a wonderful caring person.

Take a look around you....all the wonderful and caring folks have been culpable in downgrading standards...on a ship, in our home town, just about everywhere these days....

But before you fire back at me, remember, you are a caring person so you have to accept my point of view without any criticism.

The new standard is NO STANDARDS????

I will take exception with one comment. ignorant means you do not know something. STUPID, means you know but are too lazy, arrogant, (you fill in the word that fits) to have a standard.

Today's mentality of "Oh, it is ok" Is garbage! The mentality is that if you accept everything, then you will feel so good about yourself because you are just a wonderful caring person.

Take a look around you....all the wonderful and caring folks have been culpable in downgrading standards...on a ship, in our home town, just about everywhere these days....

But before you fire back at me, remember, you are a caring person so you have to accept my point of view without any criticism.

I accept you have a point of view, and you appear to be passionate that no one should be able to force their viewpoint on you, Given your viewpoint, I still don't understand why you believe you have the ability to establish standars for another person's dress. Just because it's not what you like, I don't accept your position that the standards have been downgraded

I have news for anyone who thinks that t-shirts..and "wife beater" shirts aren't worn in the MDR yet. They are and have been for awhile now.

Once RCI relaxed their dress code and crew stopped asking pax to return to their cabins and change it has become a "fashion" free for all in the MDR.

We've seen most of it....:eek: Baseball caps are the least of it.

I would much prefer they leave the caps on their heads than have them place them on the table.

Makes me wonder just who raised some of the people out there.:confused:

I agree with the OP....My husband is almost 65 and was raised to show respect for everyone, especially women and anyone older than him. He still removes his cap when a lady enters the room, opens the door for me, and ALWAYS removes his cap when we enter a nice restaurant. Our sons are 41 and 33 and were raised the same way. :)

I have a feeling this may cause in argument but other threads got me thinking. I am a 'senior' and cruise 2X a year. My parents were not strict but one of their rules was that we had to remove caps if we expected to sit at the dinner table. I would like to know CC folks feelings about men (or ladies) wearing ball caps during lunch or dinner in the MDR. I can't 'shake' this off and this is probably the only thing that 'annoys' me. Would it be improper to ask the wearer to remove it? I have seen the waitstaff at the door ask men to remove their caps but they will often put them back on once they are at a table. I am not trying to cause trouble. I am looking for other people's opinions. I do think that if I noticed that someone was wearing a cap and they had a 'hair' issue i.e. cancer or other problem, I wouldn't mind so much. No rudeness please.

Why would you want to? It's just plain Rude :)

Come on everyone, there have to be exceptions. I understand that an old cap covered with dirt and oil isn't acceptable. I bought a new John Deere cap, traditional green and yellow colors, for my next cruise. Hopefully there won't be an issue with my new, clean cap.

Wow, a new John Deere hat. Absolutely the pinnacle in dining room attire!

If my family and I were seated at a table of 8 or 10 or more at dinner and one of our table mates decided to come to the table with a ball cap on I would be asking for it to be removed. After all, the dinning experience comes from the table at which you are seated.

Just let us know , if you ever tell someone to remove the cap, how that went for ya !!!:eek:

Just let us know , if you ever tell someone to remove the cap, how that went for ya !!!:eek:

I'll help with this.... I hope the person with the cap tells the that person to mind their own business. At least that is how it would go with me. ;)

This sentence summates as to why I would never ask someone to remove their cap, hat, turban, etc. because frankly, it's none of my business! I'm at the MDR for my dining experience, not their's!

Thank You.....if people would just stop it with what other people do or don't do.

We are on a ship with 1000's of other people who are all different.

How anyhow can argue that dining with a baseball cap is acceptable, just shows the type of clients that RCCL is attracting.

Well said,as another reply stated,wearing a cap is plain tacky.Come on people we want the MDR to stay the MDR not a waiter service version of the Windjammer.

Well said,as another reply stated,wearing a cap is plain tacky.Come on people we want the MDR to stay the MDR not a waiter service version of the Windjammer.

That's a bit judgemental!!! Maybe that's what you want, but that's not what many passengers desire. Perhaps you should just stay with Cunard

The whole head is about 9% of your total body. That makes the top of the head about 3-4%. I've chosen not to be offended by 3-4% of someones body being covered by fabric.

I was raised not wearing a cap to dinner or even inside. But times are changing. I automatically remove my cap when sitting at a table. But I really don't care what other people do. Life is to short to care what other people wear on their head.

Well said!

Archived