Baseball Caps in MDR

Poohb

I rather sit at a table with someone wearing four baseball caps on his head, then sit at that same table with a woman, dressed to the nines that smells like she took a bath in a 50 gallon drum of perfume.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Now, now, women don't have a monopoly on overscenting.:D

I do not typically wear a hat, at any time, but have NO PROBLEM with anyone who wears any kind of hat in the MDR. Once on St. Martin I hiked all day and burned my bald head so bad it was bleeding the next day (I know dumb a** right?) but the next day my head looked really brutal so I wore a hat to dinner, nothing from the staff but a passenger came up and said "show some respect for your lady and take off that hat" to which my DW replied "go sit down I asked him to wear it", end of discussion. So I now wear an assortment of colorful doo rags for my hikes and bikes, are doo rags any less offensive than ball caps? I often leave it on when going in for lunch or breakfast but not at dinner.

I wonder if these same discussions went on as women's dresses kept getting shorter. If I remember correctly, wasn't it "polite" and "respectful" for women to cover their legs down to their ankles? I wonder how many women want to go back to when everyone was "respectful" of others.

Good manners has nothing to do with being a snob.

But if one reads Ms Manners, one will learn it is rude and snobbish to comment on others manners. Like it or not, it's the height of rudeness to point out manners to other people, who are not your own minor children. One can ask to be moved discreetly, and make your opinions known to the management. Anyone (not wearing a uniform) enforcing rules in the MDR is also boorish.

The whole head is about 9% of your total body. That makes the top of the head about 3-4%. I've chosen not to be offended by 3-4% of someones body being covered by fabric.

I was raised not wearing a cap to dinner or even inside. But times are changing. I automatically remove my cap when sitting at a table. But I really don't care what other people do. Life is to short to care what other people wear on their head.

Those other cruisers who do not have your manners should go on Carnival. Over there they started with the relaxation of dress codes. Next they cut back on steak and started serving mac and cheese and meatloaf in the MDR. Once you open the door a crack then it becomes so easy to relax everything including the menus as has been proven on Carnival. You're liable to see anything in a MDR on Carnival. I don't think its unfair to say that a once elegant dining room with excellent food that has been turned into a Roy Rogers with the food to match is unfortunate.We went on the Carnival Fantasy for our first cruise years ago and nobody was dressed down in the MDR on any night. It was all very nice. On my last Carnival cruise (and I do mean last) the MDR was a circus. A conglomeration of poor food, wife beaters, shorts and ball caps.

The MDR is supposed to be a venue of higher dining. Nobody is forcing anyone to go there. If people want to wear shorts, TShirts and a ball cap then by all means, its their vacation. They should feel free to do so in the Windjammer.

Those other cruisers who do not have your manners should go on Carnival. Over there they started with the relaxation of dress codes. Next they cut back on steak and started serving mac and cheese and meatloaf in the MDR. Once you open the door a crack then it becomes so easy to relax everything including the menus as has been proven on Carnival.

The MDR is supposed to be a venue of higher dining. Nobody is forcing anyone to go there. If people want to wear shorts, TShirts and a ball cap then by all means, its their vacation. They should feel free to do so in the Windjammer.

When the Windjammer offers the same level of service as the MDR, I'll be glad to dine there on a regular basis. For now, I like meat loaf and mac and cheese and wearing what I want in the MDR on RCI.

I find certain things, such as ball caps , t-shirts, shorts, etc in the MDR in bad taste....

BUT it is not my place to tell anyone how they should dress, or anything else for that matter.....

I quess the only thing one can do is complain to management. If enough people complain they will change the rules and hopefully enforce them.

I find certain things, such as ball caps , t-shirts, shorts, etc in the MDR in bad taste....

BUT it is not my place to tell anyone how they should dress, or anything else for that matter.....

I quess the only thing one can do is complain to management. If enough people complain they will change the rules and hopefully enforce them.

I really like this post. I have always thought if someone has a complaint with what people are wearing in the MDR, that complaint is with RCI not the "offending" party.

But, obviously he wasn't raised to not wear a cap indoors.:eek:U

What are you talking about? He's the most polite and respectful man I've EVER known, besides my own Dad. We live in TEXAS and caps and cowboy hats are the norm here. Of course, like I said before, he wouldn't wear his into a nice restaurant, etc. Don't try to make my statement into something negative. I don't appreciate it.

Agree. on our last cruise we saw several men wearing tank undershirts and ball caps in the MDR at lunch. I don't have a problem with more casual clothes at lunch, but ball caps and anything sleeveless is a bit too much. I would like to see the MDR staff enforce the dress code.

There are lines that do enforce a certain level of dress at dinner. I have seen RCI ask passengers to remove hats but from what I am reading here it is sporadic at best.

It isn't the ball cap that bothers me, it is the sense of entitlement. The "I don't care what anyone else thinks, I'm doing what I want" attitude, that makes me sad. And not just on cruise ships. A ball cap can be removed but a sense of entitlement cannot.

Just a little something to break the tension:

A farmer was having trouble with hunters shooting his livestock so on the side of the animals in big white letters he painted COW, HORSE etc. So what happened? They shot his TRACTOR!!! And what was written on the side of his tractor? JOHN DEERE!

I wonder if these same discussions went on as women's dresses kept getting shorter. If I remember correctly, wasn't it "polite" and "respectful" for women to cover their legs down to their ankles? I wonder how many women want to go back to when everyone was "respectful" of others.

Nice post! Chew on that one for a while.

What are you talking about? He's the most polite and respectful man I've EVER known, besides my own Dad. We live in TEXAS and caps and cowboy hats are the norm here. Of course, like I said before, he wouldn't wear his into a nice restaurant, etc. Don't try to make my statement into something negative. I don't appreciate it.

But he does wear a hat indoors, something some people consider bad manners.

He wouldn't wear one in a nice restaurant, what about just an ordinary restaurant, would he keep it on then?

Interesting read. It appears that RCI is following Carnival's policy changes.

We haven't cruised RCI in a few years and decided to try them again next month to see how they compare to other lines. If a RCI cruise is comparable to Carnival, Carnival is cheaper.

Burt

I think ballcaps and sleeveless shirts (on men or women with hairy armpits...if either gender shaves/waxes etc then thats fine) have no place in a "sit down" dining area anytime

Be careful ... You may be insulting some European women that don't follow your grooming standards.

I really don't care one way or the other if someone wears a hat indoors or at the table, but I am wondering why it is considered rude?

Is it because it always has been? I mean there must be an actual reason why it is rude. Or did customs of the time determine that for a valid reason and it just stayed with us?

Lots of things were considered not socially acceptable in the past, and are OK now. I can show my ankles in public and not be considered indecent. I can go out on dates without a chaperone.

I really don't care one way or the other if someone wears a hat indoors or at the table, but I am wondering why it is considered rude?

Is it because it always has been? I mean there must be an actual reason why it is rude. Or did customs of the time determine that for a valid reason and it just stayed with us?

Lots of things were considered not socially acceptable in the past, and are OK now. I can show my ankles in public and not be considered indecent. I can go out on dates without a chaperone.

I am not an etiquette expert. However, I was raised in a military family where such customs are still followed. Removing one's hat is a sign of respect and I do think there are Christian roots to the custom. Total guess on my part, but we remove our hats in church, at weddings, funerals and the playing of our national anthem. I would imagine that hats are not appropriate during meal time for similar reasons - Christian families often bless the food before each meal.

Personally, I think it is a very simple request. But, since I only have influence over my two sons, I'll try and keep my focus on them.

Edit: I also think we should have tolerance for those whose customs call for wearing head wear indoors.

Me too. According to whom? Old traditions die hard, I guess. I figure new one's start by people challenging old traditions. This from someone who doesn't wear a hat but wonders why anyone cares if someone else does.

I agree with the OP....My husband is almost 65 and was raised to show respect for everyone, especially women and anyone older than him. He still removes his cap when a lady enters the room, opens the door for me, and ALWAYS removes his cap when we enter a nice restaurant. Our sons are 41 and 33 and were raised the same way. :)

:cool:Why would your husband have to take off his hat when a lady enters the room? If he was a true gentleman, he would not have his hat on in the first place. A room is inside. A true gentleman would remove his hat upon entering that room:cool:GOT CHA

Archived