MUST READ if you're flying American Airlines in the near future

Loyal2RCCL

If you don't use the first leg of a flight, do they auto cancel the second leg booked on the same PNR?

Yes- in fact a friend on FaceBook just reported that when he drive from Hartford to Newark because his flight from Hartford was so delayed he was going to miss his connection in Newark, he called the airline and told them not to cancel the rest of the trip They did anyway and he had a heck of a time getting it straightened out. (This was not AA.) You could try it and let them know. I'd just be very concerned that if they messed it up you'd have a very hard time getting back on another AA flight.

and told by both "not to worry,,we ll let you know if any changes" for Dec.24 flight,,and now above poster says hers not shown after Dec.1st...makes me VERY NERVOUS...

Not sure if I should book another company and just take the loss,,,,NEED to get to continuing flight for cruise...?????????????????

Are most people just waiting to see what happens>>:confused::confused:

and flight NOT LISTED,,,called both AA and internet agency,,,told flight changed to different time,,and were "going to inform me," right,,,had JUST received yesterday a confirmation of old times/flight...

Thank God,,for CC..and info or I would never had kept checking....keep up good work....

If the flight change time is sufficiently long, about 1.5 hours for AA, then this might be your big chance. Ask them if you can cancel without penalty due to the flight change time. Then proceed to schedule flight on another airline. Good luck.

If you don't use the first leg of a flight, do they auto cancel the second leg booked on the same PNR?

Not necessarily. I had a situation in 2005 when I was booked on KLM to leave from Cairo-Amsterdam-Melbourne. I had changed part of my trip and couldn't get a flight back to Cairo to meet the first flight departing on my ticket. Between myself, my TA in Australia and visiting KLM office in Cairo they agreed to allow me to start my journey from Amsterdam.

Ring the airline and see if you can make an arrangement.

Spitting feathers right now.

Just received an email to say BA have cancelled my return AA flight on Dec 2nd to MIA from SJU and moved me to a flight an hour earlier (heading ultimately to LHR). This is the 2nd time they've cancelled on me. Now on a 1235. The RCCL site recommends a flight not before 11am..... so doable but still....... @@@@ :eek: :mad:

I have a flight booked at the end of October from Vancouver to Miami on Alaska Airlines and the second leg from LAX to MIA is Alaska Air "operated by" American Airlines. So I assume for that second leg I could be affected by these slowdowns/flight cancellations? Would it be Alaska Air that would try to find space on another flight if indeed there was a cancellation or would I be dealing with AA?

Since apparently insurance won't cover this, I'm thinking I should have a plan B....

Andrea

To answer your question, if the cancellation happens in advance, then it is Alaska's responsibility to rebook you. If it happens day of travel, then it is AA's but you can always call Alaska for more help.

Not necessarily. I had a situation in 2005 when I was booked on KLM to leave from Cairo-Amsterdam-Melbourne. I had changed part of my trip and couldn't get a flight back to Cairo to meet the first flight departing on my ticket. Between myself, my TA in Australia and visiting KLM office in Cairo they agreed to allow me to start my journey from Amsterdam.

Ring the airline and see if you can make an arrangement.

But this was with prior arrangements and you were probably very lucky or had a changeable ticket. Believe me, 99% of the people who fly over here aren't able to do this.

But this was with prior arrangements and you were probably very lucky or had a changeable ticket. Believe me, 99% of the people who fly over here aren't able to do this.

I was 3/4 way through my existing trip when I made the change. I did it all while I was in Cairo. I'm not sure what type of ticket I had on but the TA at the time was fantastic (too bad she left the industry).

It's a good thing sometimes people can still make some exceptional service-minded decision in this heavily ruled industry. It's a sad thing check-in and gate agents don't have the 'power' they used to have.

To get back on topic: it seemed my flight's been affected as well. As I predicted yesterday, my flight form FLL to ORD has been rescheduled. But in a good way for me. Used to be on an older plane and got about 40 minutes more transfer time which gives me a bit more time to enjoy the lounge at ORD :-)

I think I got lucky, because for a lot of people this thing is turning out to be a nightmare in regards of their travel plans.

To answer your question, if the cancellation happens in advance, then it is Alaska's responsibility to rebook you. If it happens day of travel, then it is AA's but you can always call Alaska for more help.

Thanks so much for the reply. At least I know where my starting point will be. I'll keep monitoring the situation and will have a list of potential back up flights on hand just in case.

Andrea

Just checked my flights at AA.com. They cancelled 3 of the 4 flights for December 1st and 10th:eek:. They rebooked me on other flights that only give me a 45 minute layover in DFW. Is this usually enough time? I don't care about the trip home....:). There are flights with a stop in Miami that are better suited for me that are available now. Does anyone know their policy about me making changes since they are the ones that initiated the changes? I booked nonrefundable airfare. (The cheapest).

Just checked my flights at AA.com. They cancelled 3 of the 4 flights for December 1st and 10th:eek:. They rebooked me on other flights that only give me a 45 minute layover in DFW. Is this usually enough time? I don't care about the trip home....:). There are flights with a stop in Miami that are better suited for me that are available now. Does anyone know their policy about me making changes since they are the ones that initiated the changes? I booked nonrefundable airfare. (The cheapest).

if the flight time is more than 1 and half hrs...was told I could cancel by a poster here...would the next flights also be on AA??If so,,guess I d stick with one you ve got..

Personally,,I always worry with so little time,,,planes always seem late and then such a rush,,,check if you have to go far???That might help.Good luck,,,we re both in similar situation it seems.:(

I've had three friends complain about cancelled AA flights in the past 24 hours. I'd make sure you know your other options. Airlines aren't good at providing options during ir ops, but they are good at working with you if you are the one who comes up with the ideas.

I've had three friends complain about cancelled AA flights in the past 24 hours. I'd make sure you know your other options. Airlines aren't good at providing options during ir ops, but they are good at working with you if you are the one who comes up with the ideas.

I will say it really depends on agent and airport. When I got screwed up at Kansas City, the agent was great and I had a new ticket within minutes and was on a new plane, in a different direction, within an hour. Got me to DCA only an hour or so later than planned. But I know the gate agent and she is always fantastic.

Also, make sure you know what your rights are. For example, if pre-flight cancellations happen and this affects your trip with more then 2 hours, they need to give you other (and free!!!) alternatives.

If you are worried about your flight getting changed/cancelled, thoroughly read the rights you have.

Also know that at a lot of airpots agents aren't the one who take decisions. They have to listen to the supervisors and can only do as much as they are allowed to. Being a customer service agent myself, I think it's a shame how less we can still be of help to pax.

A 45 minute connection at DFW is usually okay. ORD on the other hand - well I just changed to a 10:20pm arrival (have to be at work at 6am the next day) rather than risk a 45 minute connection at ORD even though it would get me home 5 hours earlier.

As to your change, if your arrival/departure has changed by more than 1.5 hours they will absolutely allow the change, less than that it depends but if you point out politely that you are uncomfortable with the change they have a lot of leeway to make changes at the moment.

A 45 minute connection at DFW is usually okay. ORD on the other hand - well I just changed to a 10:20pm arrival (have to be at work at 6am the next day) rather than risk a 45 minute connection at ORD even though it would get me home 5 hours earlier.

As to your change, if your arrival/departure has changed by more than 1.5 hours they will absolutely allow the change, less than that it depends but if you point out politely that you are uncomfortable with the change they have a lot of leeway to make changes at the moment.

And I would take a slightly shorter connection in ORD than DFW depending on time of year. At ORD, all of AA's operations are in the same terminal.

I've made 45 minute connections in both without issue. I've also missed scheduled 45 minute connections at both due to delays.

Archived