3 different cruises on one ship - back to back??

DaveOKC

I understand that there is no distinction between US citizen or not, but the act is still about the vessel and not about who it transports. ;)

So, rather than fining fault with how I answered the question that was asked, how would you have answered it?

Perhaps I can learn some way to say it better, so that if there's a next time, we won't go off focus.

So, rather than fining fault with how I answered the question that was asked, how would you have answered it?

Perhaps I can learn some way to say it better, so that if there's a next time, we won't go off focus.

I am not finding fault with what you said, Ruth, I was just saying that the PVSA addresses vessels and not passengers. Trying to expand on what you said.

On a PVSA compliant cruise a passenger might disembark at an intermediate port and that would cause the ship to violate the act, not the passenger. The fine is levied against the cruise ship

Yes, that is the PVSA which has been referenced many times on these boards.

Glad you posted a link to it again. New readers can see for themselves what is really restricted by the PVSA and what is not, despite the unsubstantiated false rumors that sometimes resurface.

I know you can often do back to back cruises on a ship, but how about this - all on the same ship:

Cruise:

#1 Seattle to Seattle for 7 days

#2 Seattle to Vancouver for 1 day

#3 Vancouver to San Diego for 5 days

Can this be done?

DaveOKC

:D Now that my head is aching, I would like to know from the original OP if he has contacted HAL regarding this. In my opinion, (and as I have learned I know nothing) coming back to Seattle would be like stopping in a port for the day then going to Vancouver for the day then onto San Diego. I would like to know the end result of his question. No need to respond to this and continue to tell me I don't know what I am talking about, unless you are the OP and can say what HAL said. :D

On the matter of the PVSA, when we cruised from San Diego to Vancouver, the Oosterdam, our ship, was in the midst of a cruise that originated in San Diego and did a 10 day itinerary in Mexico before going north. Next to us in San Diego and close to us most of the way was the Zuiderdam which was in the midst of a Panama Canal cruise from Florida to Vancouver. Both ships sailed overnight from Vancouver to Seattle, but we could not take either one since we had boarded in San Diego.
Changing ships is not enough. In order to have a chance of getting away with this "under the circumstances" you must change cruise lines.

:D Now that my head is aching, I would like to know from the original OP if he has contacted HAL regarding this. In my opinion, (and as I have learned I know nothing) coming back to Seattle would be like stopping in a port for the day then going to Vancouver for the day then onto San Diego. I would like to know the end result of his question. No need to respond to this and continue to tell me I don't know what I am talking about, unless you are the OP and can say what HAL said. :D

I have not had the time to call HAL yet (in the middle of a major kitchen remodel at home - what a mess!), but I will call next week and find out and post it here.

I guess this "easy" question I thought it would be is alot more complicated! Thanks for everyone's input - at least it tells me I need to visit with HAL to be sure.

DaveOKC

:D... unless you are the OP and can say what HAL said. :D
Why don't you call HAL yourself and ask? Tell them you're considering sailing from Seattle to Vancouver on 9/28/13 on the Westerdam, and then on down to California on either the Westerdam or Statendam on 9/29. Then please come back and tell us what they said.

I have not had the time to call HAL yet (in the middle of a major kitchen remodel at home - what a mess!), but I will call next week and find out and post it here.

I guess this "easy" question I thought it would be is alot more complicated! Thanks for everyone's input - at least it tells me I need to visit with HAL to be sure.

DaveOKC

Why don't you call HAL yourself and ask? Tell them you're "considering" sailing from Seattle to Vancouver on 9/28/13 on the Westerdam, and then on down to California on either the Westerdam or Statendam on 9/29. Then please come back and tell us what they said.

Unfortunately, there have been many reports on this board that HAL (and other cruise lines) have taken the reservations only to let people know about a month or so before sailing that the combination is illegal and one of the cruises has to be canceled

Unfortunately, there have been many reports on this board that HAL (and other cruise lines) have taken the reservations only to let people know about a month or so before sailing that the combination is illegal and one of the cruises has to be canceled
Too true. We've seen that happen more than a few times.

The logical way to think of this is that if it were legal, HAL would be offering the Seattle-Vancouver-San Diego itinerary as a cruise. Heck, with Collectors Cruises they'd probably offer it combined with the 7-day Alaskan sailing too.

As long as we're being logical, if one could legally sail between two U.S. ports, without a stop at a distant foreign port, wouldn't HAL (and other lines) be offering one-way cruises between California & Hawaii? As was pointed out earlier the Hawaii cruises stop in Ensenada, Mexico. If that foreign port met the legal standard, the (foreign flagged) cruise lines would be jumping all over themselves to take advantage of passengers who want to go to Hawaii but don't want to fly. However, it doesn't. That is why passengers who 'miss the boat' in Hawaii and don't return to California face the $300/pp fine.

The supervisors with whom we spoke at both cruise lines were very aware of the restrictions of the PVSA. When we questioned them each time, they specifically pointed out that the PVSA says nothing at all to prevent a passenger from changing ships.

Not only is it frequently done, but it is their recommended method of dealing with these circumstances.

If this was clearly legal there would be no need to have a "method" of "dealing with the circumstances".

If this was clearly legal there would be no need to have a "method" of "dealing with the circumstances".
Exactly right!

The reason for needing to use the alternative, legal methods is precisely because it is illegal for the ship (the "vessel") to transport passengers who embark at one US port and disembark at a different US port without visiting a distant foreign port.

DaveOKC - here's another possibility - do your 7-day AK on the Volendam 9/18/13 to 9/25/13 r/t out of Vancouver. You could then stay on the same ship for a 3-day to Los Angeles, LEGALLY!

Also you could do 7 days AK out of Vancouver on the Zuiderdam 9/21/13 to 9/28 and stay on down to San Francisco, or the Statendam 9/22 to 9/29 and stay on for 5 days to San Diego. :)

LOL! The ones who were notified about a month or so before sailing were the lucky ones.

We were notified only a couple of days before sailing when we booked such B2B cruises as naive, innocent, unsuspecting neophytes about 7 years age. That was how we first got involved with the legal department and came to find out more about the restrictions of the PVSA than we ever wanted to know. :D

DaveOKC - here's another possibility - do your 7-day AK on the Volendam 9/18/13 to 9/25/13 r/t out of Vancouver. You could then stay on the same ship for a 3-day to Los Angeles, LEGALLY!

Also you could do 7 days AK out of Vancouver on the Zuiderdam 9/21/13 to 9/28 and stay on down to San Francisco, or the Statendam 9/22 to 9/29 and stay on for 5 days to San Diego. :)

Great ideas! I like the Z idea as I really want to see some friends in SF.

Thanks

DaveOKC

Archived