3 different cruises on one ship - back to back??

DaveOKC

I know you can often do back to back cruises on a ship, but how about this - all on the same ship:

Cruise:

#1 Seattle to Seattle for 7 days

#2 Seattle to Vancouver for 1 day

#3 Vancouver to San Diego for 5 days

Can this be done?

DaveOKC

It's not legal unless you spend at least one night on land in Vancouver ... which of course would not be possible on the same ship unless it overnighted there.

BUT: you could get off in Seattle after the first 7 days, spend a night in Seattle, or travel to Vancouver by land or air for one night there, and get back on the same ship in Vancouver the next day and you would be fine. :D

OK - how about this. Take the Seattle to Seattle for 7 days, then stay onboard for one night to Vancouver. In Vancouver (on the same day), change ships for the next 5 day cruise?

DaveOKC

That would not be legal either, although the chance of getting caught would be less if you changed to a different cruise line in Vancouver. Why not just spend a night on land in either Seattle or Vancouver and travel to V by land?

That would not be legal either, although the chance of getting caught would be less if you changed to a different cruise line in Vancouver. Why not just spend a night on land in either Seattle or Vancouver and travel to V by land?

Why wouldn't it be legal? They won't be on the same ship from Seattle to San Diego. Seattle - Seattle & then Seattle - Vancouver. Change ship, Vancouver - San Diego.

:)

Dave

What you want to do is not possible.

We have friends are doing a HAL cruise right now -- Zuiderdam. At the end of that cruise they will overnight in Vancouver and then get on a Princess ship to come down the Pacific coast.

Now if you want to do a back-to-back-to-back cruise, we met a couple a few years ago who stayed on the Noordam for 30 days -- 3 ten day cruises round trip out of Ft Lauderdale. That is legal.

How about this combination:

Vancouver to Vancouver 7 days, then Vancouver to San Diego 5 days. Does not involve Seattle, but on the same ship without disembarking between the two.

Legal? Or NOT LEGAL?

Penny

(Oops, I didn't see DaveOKC's post....that's what I'm asking about in reverse)

Last May we were on a repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. A number of people stayed on for 7 more days to do the Alaska cruise on the same ship.

How was that legal?

DaveOKC

Because the cruise(s) did not start and end in different US cities. San Diego to Vancouver for the first one. Vancouver to Vancouver (round-trip) for the second one.

It's illegal for a foreign flagged ship to transport a passenger from one US city to a different US city on the same ship without a stop in a distant foreign port. B2Bs that start in one US city and end in Canada are fine. B2Bs that start in one US city (Seattle) and end in a different US city (San Diego) are illegal.

:)

Why wouldn't it be legal?
Because unless you spend one night on land it's considered one continuous voyage, whether you change ships or not. I don't doubt that people have gotten away with this, but if you get caught trying it you could be denied boarding in Vancouver or fined $300 pp when you get off in S.D.
Vancouver to Vancouver 7 days, then Vancouver to San Diego 5 days. Does not involve Seattle, but on the same ship without disembarking between the two.

Legal? Or NOT LEGAL?

That's okay, because it does not start in a US port. The reverse (SD to VCR to VCR) is also okay because it does not end in a US port.

How about adding Princess, Celebrity to the mix?This should make you legal.
Not if the initial port is Seattle and the final is San Diego, unless you spend a night on land.

Legal? Or NOT LEGAL?

That would be legal even if it stopped in Seattle, because it did not start in a US port.

Last May we were on a repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver. A number of people stayed on for 7 more days to do the Alaska cruise on the same ship.

How was that legal?

You are aware that the Vancouver involved in Alaskan cruises is in Canada? There is another Vancouver a bit south in Washington State (actually across the river from Portland, Oregon) that if that city was involved would be a violation. U.S. law prohibiting transportation between two U.S. ports (without that stop in a distant foreign port) doesn't give a rodent's fanny if passengers board in the U.S. and disembark in Canada.

:eek: I am getting a headache reading all of this legal and not legal.

It is very simple, Seattle to Seattle 7 days would involve a stop in Victoria to settle the foreign port. Seattle to Vancouver for 1 day is from US to foreign port. Then 5 days Vancouver to San Diego is foreign port to US. Where does it say you need to spend a night on land? Anyways, HAL is the place to contact. They offer the cruise, so it should be fine, it stops in a foreign port on each segment.

:eek: I am getting a headache reading all of this legal and not legal.

It is very simple, Seattle to Seattle 7 days would involve a stop in Victoria to settle the foreign port. Seattle to Vancouver for 1 day is from US to foreign port. Then 5 days Vancouver to San Diego is foreign port to US. Where does it say you need to spend a night on land? Anyways, HAL is the place to contact. They offer the cruise, so it should be fine, it stops in a foreign port on each segment.

What you are missing is the word distant. The requirement is that a ship carrying passengers between two U.S. ports has to stop in a distant foreign port. NO port in Canada qualifies as distant. This is why the one way cruises to or from Alaska begin or end in Vancouver, not Seattle.

OK - how about this. Take the Seattle to Seattle for 7 days, then stay onboard for one night to Vancouver. In Vancouver (on the same day), change ships for the next 5 day cruise
Yes, that is perfectly fine.

No problem doing this because the same ship is not transporting you between two different US ports.

How about this combination:

Yes, there is no problem doing this either.

How was that legal?

It is legal when the Alaska cruise out of Vancouver is a round-trip cruise, for example the itineraries from Vancouver that the Volendam and Zuiderdam did this summer.

OK - how about this. Take the Seattle to Seattle for 7 days, then stay onboard for one night to Vancouver. In Vancouver (on the same day), change ships for the next 5 day cruise?

DaveOKC

Several years ago, we booked (online) a Princess cruise that ended in Vancouver, then booked another Princess 1 night cruise (same ship) that went back to Seattle. We were not trying to do anything illegal, we were just ignorant of the laws. Princess "caught it" and called us and explained that we could not do that, for the reasons mentioned above.

What is the reason for these laws anyway, to help the hotel industry. What is the logic in not allowing a citizen the option of traveling from one US city to another.

We can do it in cars, on bicycle, bus, airplane, train, or even foot. Why not a cruise ship. This is one of the United States stupidest laws after abortion (and no I don't want a debate on that law).

Where is the reasoning and common sense behind the law, I don't see it. Once upon a time people used cruise/passenger ships to get from one part of the country to another.

Ask Hal .they would advise you properly .IM not sure i understand the problem .we can go back and forth to the states as much as we want ...the only ..ich is customs and bringing back stuff re time allotments ...it would need to be out of country formore than 24hours

Call Hal they will tell you

Michele

What is the reason for these laws anyway, to help the hotel industry. What is the logic in not allowing a citizen the option of traveling from one US city to another.

We can do it in cars, on bicycle, bus, airplane, train, or even foot. Why not a cruise ship. This is one of the United States stupidest laws after abortion (and no I don't want a debate on that law).

Where is the reasoning and common sense behind the law, I don't see it. Once upon a time people used cruise/passenger ships to get from one part of the country to another.

The PSVA applies to ALL passenger vessels. You can not fly between US cities on a foreign flagged plane. A British Airways plane can fly from London to New York and discharge passengers, then continue on to Los Angeles - but may not pick up passengers in New York and discharge them in LA.

Ask Hal .they would advise you properly .IM not sure i understand the problem .we can go back and forth to the states as much as we want ...the only ..ich is customs and bringing back stuff re time allotments ...it would need to be out of country formore than 24hours

Call Hal they will tell you

Michele

Unfortunately, depending on who you talk to at HAL you may or may not get the right answer. The booking software will allow you to make the reservations, then flag them later as non conforming.

Rich

for instance, why if a ship is sailing from, let's say NY or Boston and it's first port of call is Port Canaveral. Why can I not take the cruise and just get off at Port Canaveral if I live nearby? Answer: Because it is the law. But what is the purpose of the law.

Why would it matter if it was foriegn flagged? Is this the United States way of trying to get cruise ships flagged as American ships? If so, it hasn't worked.

This a problem I have never understood sound reasoning for. If they are worried about illegal entry they should check the passport at both the outgoing and incoming port and match them up.

I know my question won't change things, but it is just stupid from the knowledge I have. Which is why I need more knowledge. :D

Archived