RCI Drink Packages on U.S. Based Cruises

cgags47

Hey Everyone,

I was curious if anybody has heard any information about Royal implementing the Beverage Packages that they offer on their UK and Asia based sailings. I believe there are 3 options for the alcohol packages ($29, $39, and $49) that are offered on the Legend, Grandeur, Independence and Liberty, when they are abroad. I am very Loyal to Royal, but after sailing on a Celebrity cruise this past spring, I fell in love with the beverage package. It simplified things to such an extent, that I actually enjoyed the vacation more (not that I wasn't going to have a blast anyway).

Not sure if anybody on here might have access to some insider information, or if there was a way we could "petition" RCI to do this. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps if we start a long enough discussion on this, they'll notice it!

Thanks!!

What was the package offered on Celebrity?

For the alcohol package, it was $45 per day, all inclusive up to $8 per drink, all beer, wine and liquor. $54 per day, all inclusive up to $12 per drink. I got the $54 package, and it was amazing. Never had to sign a slip, tips were already included, and the bartenders/wait staff liked it too. Less work for them. And if I wanted a drink that was over $12 per glass, they only charged me the difference. I paid it months before the cruise, and it was one less thing to worry about on the last night. Definitely got my money's worth. And even if I hadn't "broke even", I would do it again in a heartbeat for the sheer convenience. Aside from the watch I bought onboard, I have NEVER had an onboard expense account be so little. It has seriously made me consider Celebrity over Royal in the future. I think that since they are the same company, it makes perfect sense to offer it. It's an option to the traveler, so if you don't want it, you don't have to get it.

For the alcohol package, it was $45 per day, all inclusive up to $8 per drink, all beer, wine and liquor. $54 per day, all inclusive up to $12 per drink. I got the $54 package, and it was amazing. Never had to sign a slip, tips were already included, and the bartenders/wait staff liked it too. Less work for them. And if I wanted a drink that was over $12 per glass, they only charged me the difference. I paid it months before the cruise, and it was one less thing to worry about on the last night. Definitely got my money's worth. And even if I hadn't "broke even", I would do it again in a heartbeat for the sheer convenience. Aside from the watch I bought onboard, I have NEVER had an onboard expense account be so little. It has seriously made me consider Celebrity over Royal in the future. I think that since they are the same company, it makes perfect sense to offer it. It's an option to the traveler, so if you don't want it, you don't have to get it.

Agreed! I don't really care if I "break even" or not. I'd like the peace of mind while I'm on vacation to grab a drink or two without the card swip/paper sign ect. I would think RCCL could profit from this fleet wide at the right price.

they don't do a drinks package on Liberty - this is their reply to me..........

This policy was implemented in order to prevent inappropriate alcohol consumption

when I queried again I got a different reply from the same person.............

I have shared your inquiry with our management team and it was confirmed that at this current time, the beer and spirit package has not yet been implemented on the Liberty of the Seas but will soon be

so we have 2 different answers to the same question, however I did reword my 2nd question in a different way :eek:

What was the package offered on Celebrity?

In addition to the alcohol, both packages include canned soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas, bottled juices and fresh-squeezed oj, bottled water, etc. When you add in the non-alcoholic beverages, the package can make a lot of sense and there's no pile of receipts at the end of the cruise.

In addition to the alcohol, both packages include canned soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas, bottled juices and fresh-squeezed oj, bottled water, etc. When you add in the non-alcoholic beverages, the package can make a lot of sense and there's no pile of receipts at the end of the cruise.

That's right! I forgot to mention that. Each package includes the benefits of every "lesser" package. So for the price of $54, you not only got the premium alcohol package, but also the water, soda, coffee and juice package as well.

they don't do a drinks package on Liberty - this is their reply to me..........

This policy was implemented in order to prevent inappropriate alcohol consumption

when I queried again I got a different reply from the same person.............

I have shared your inquiry with our management team and it was confirmed that at this current time, the beer and spirit package has not yet been implemented on the Liberty of the Seas but will soon be

so we have 2 different answers to the same question, however I did reword my 2nd question in a different way :eek:

This is an interesting turn...

"Inappropriate alcohol consumption"? You'd think that Celebrity, the more "luxurious" of the two brands, would be more concerned with things being inappropriate. Yet, on that sailing, I did not see anything inappropriate because of the unlimited alcohol package. It's my philosophy that if someone is going to be sloppy, annoyingly drunk, having to pay for each drink is not going to stop them.

The last time I heard something official from RC (Adam's blog, maybe?), the word was that RC has no intention of offering these packages on this side of the pond.

I agree with Mom on this. As far as inside information I get my insider tips from the crew member that revarnishes the balcony railings that shares a cabin with one of the engine room mechanics that has a sister that works at RCI HQ in Miami. I have not heard anything from them yet either.....:D

I agree with Mom on this. As far as inside information I get my insider tips from the crew member that revarnishes the balcony railings that shares a cabin with one of the engine room mechanics that has a sister that works at RCI HQ in Miami. I have not heard anything from them yet either.....:D

Here is some salt and pepper, Eng. Eat your words.

111117sandp.jpg

:D ;)

Dear Adam, can you give us an update on the progress Royal Caribbean has made on implementing its “Alcohol Drink Program”? I heard Royal Caribbean was looking into it, but haven’t heard anything new. – Tom K.

Tom, liquor packages are available on select ships in Europe. At this time, Royal Caribbean has no plans to offer the packages onboard North American itineraries.

http://www.answeritroyally.com/blog/?p=5046

Here is some salt and pepper, Eng. Eat your words.

111117sandp.jpg

:D ;)

Dear Adam, can you give us an update on the progress Royal Caribbean has made on implementing its “Alcohol Drink Program”? I heard Royal Caribbean was looking into it, but haven’t heard anything new. – Tom K.

Tom, liquor packages are available on select ships in Europe. At this time, Royal Caribbean has no plans to offer the packages onboard North American itineraries.

http://www.answeritroyally.com/blog/?p=5046

But I'm not hungry :).....I agree and think that your info trumps the info I can get from my insiders....Not that it will be of help to the OP....:cool:

Its such a shame as we enjoyed 14 nights on the IOS with the package just flashing the card when we wanted a drink no signing no checkin receipts etc

Thought we could do the same in the Caribbean on the FOS but NO!

If Celebrity do it why dont RCCL they are the Same company FHS

May have to switch cruise now

Phil

If Celebrity do it why dont RCCL they are the Same...

Phil

Same company, different clientele. More 18-25 year olds on Royal - this is where I suppose the concerns are.

As a side note, drink packages are available for groups with 40 or more cabins in case a roll call wants to all get together.

It's not available on all European cruises - the ships which do have it are Legend (which has been in the Far East) and Grandeur, Splendour and Independence (in Europe). We bought the beer package for our sons on our recent Grandeur sailing and thought it was definitely worth it - it also meant that they stuck to beer (and house wine with dinner) and didn't get into the silly stuff like shots when they were out in the club late at night. We knew exactly how much their drinks would cost for the cruise and they didn't charge anything extra to their cabin.

The package doesn't appeal to us 'grown ups' as we find it a bit limited. We love the Celebrity package though - which includes bottled water and speciality coffees (which the RC packages don't include).

Can only one person in the cabin buy this? I don't drink, but this would probably be a good deal for my husband.

No. The package has to be purchased for all people in the cabin of legal drinking age on the reservation.

We would not drink enough to make this worth our while. You have to drink an awful lot of alcohol to break even.

Actually, you really don't:

Coffee in the morning with breakfast

Drinks by the pool during the day

Before-dinner cocktail

2 glasses of wine with dinner

After dinner drinks.

Not to mention all the bottled water you can take ashore, and the juice with breakfast as well. It's quite easy to break even, and even to come out on top. It's all up to the individual guest. If you do a little math beforehand, you can figure out whether or not it is worth the purchase.

I am far too frugal to adopt this attitude. If it's not a good deal financially, I would never do it.

Anyway, I can't afford the calories in multiple alcoholic drinks, and I'll choose wearing a bikini over tossing down drinks.

I am far too frugal to adopt this attitude. If it's not a good deal financially, I would never do it.

That's the best thing about it. If you don't think you'll really benefit from it, you don't have to get it. But it allows those people who want the "all-inclusive" atmosphere, to actually have it.

Archived