Whatever Happened to Filet of Zander?

Pia1913

The fish of choice in the upper midwest (MN, WI) is the Walleye, zander is known as a "knock off" up here. Restaurants have been sued for subsituting zander for walleye (as the taste is similar). I would love a "friday night" fish fry on a cruize - on any day.

JK

I would love a "friday night" fish fry on a cruize - on any day.

JK

EXCELLENT idea! It would be great if it were with actual SE US pond raised catfish but I'd even take fried tilapia! which is pretty dang good! Throw in some hushpuppies, cole slaw, and corn on the cob... That would be a great way to spend a Friday night!

EXCELLENT idea! It would be great if it were with actual SE US pond raised catfish but I'd even take fried tilapia! which is pretty dang good! Throw in some hushpuppies, cole slaw, and corn on the cob... That would be a great way to spend a Friday night!

Now you're talking.:cool:

Mike:)

You could always count on seeing Zander on the menu the first night aboard every Princess ship. Where, or where, did the Zander go?

I've only been sailing Princess since '09 but it has always been baramundi on the first night that I remember. I've never even heard of zander, but I don't eat fish either.

I've only been sailing Princess since '09 but it has always been baramundi on the first night that I remember. I've never even heard of zander, but I don't eat fish either.

I've never heard of zander either, but have heard of, and eaten, the Baramundi. Good.

I'm still laughing at KruzPrincess' comment. I am getting very tired of hearing people's complaints about the burger. Some nights that sounds just perfect! And, it's not like there aren't other things on the menu that night. Thanks for the laugh.

Maureen

I believe barramundi was on the embarkation menu since the introduction of the new menus sometime before 2009. I say was because barramundi is now on the Captain's Welcome dinner menu and has been replaced on the Sailaway (not called that anymore) menu by Seared Bassa Filet with Pineapple-Papaya Salsa. Bassa (Basa?) is apparently a Southeast Asian catfish. Aand you wondered what Barramundi was?

You're going to get in trouble with the folks who think this is too common for cruise food. Mac & Cheese with shrimp and scallops or a sirloin burger on the menu.........then a fish fry???? Heaven forbid.

I've never heard of zander either, but have heard of, and eaten, the Baramundi. Good.

I'm still laughing at KruzPrincess' comment. I am getting very tired of hearing people's complaints about the burger. Some nights that sounds just perfect! And, it's not like there aren't other things on the menu that night. Thanks for the laugh.

Maureen

Even a good burger isn't what I plan to eat in the MDR for dinner but I don't understand why some get so upset about what others want to eat & enjoy that option.

There are a few who no matter what a thread is about they somehow manage to mention their anger about a burger and seafood mac & cheese for the umpteenth time. :rolleyes:

Even a good burger isn't what I plan to eat in the MDR for dinner but I don't understand why some get so upset about what others want to eat & enjoy that option.

It is not a matter of caring what others eat.

It is a matter of what was eliminated from the menu in order to make space for the burger.

The old menu had the "always available" listed on a different page than the items for that evening's theme. By moving them to the main page, some items had to be dropped unless the print is smaller or the menu page size increased.

It is a matter of what was eliminated from the menu in order to make space for the burger.

The old menu had the "always available" listed on a different page than the items for that evening's theme. By moving them to the main page, some items had to be dropped unless the print is smaller or the menu page size increased.

Changes have been made but there's still plenty of choices for most passengers & the way it's listed on the menu isn't a big concern for me.

It does matter very much to some that these items are on the menu & that they might have to see someone on formal night eating them. They have repeatedly said it on threads that don't even have anything to do with food.

I've seen the posted new menus which still have plenty of choices & I'll never go hungry just like most of the other passengers & don't agree that it's a big issue for most passengers. :rolleyes:

Hi All

When it comes to fish, most are going to be farmed if they are to be in the price range a cruise line wants to pay, no problem with that,

OK wild has a better taste but things need to be cost effective,

so with fish like salmon and trout being shipped around the world in massive quants, why not more on a cruise ship.

yours Shogun

Then I guess zander's been gone at least three years. I can't believe I started this thread about a fish I would never eat. :D

The number of "always available" items were not reduced on the new menus. It is true that the medallions of beef were replaced with tri-tip but we found that entree to be pretty good and better than what we get in almost any restaurant in Southern California (the home of tri-tip?). Admittedly that was only one day on one ship. Other than that, the burger and the creme brûlée were two additions and everything else such as shrimp cocktail, Caesar salad, salmon, chicken, fettuccini alfredo and the Love Boat dream are still there.

Maureen

You're very welcome! :)

Archived