How many medical emergencies on 7 day cruise?

jdr1000

Just came off the Oasis and my wife and I were surprised with the amounts of Alpha Alpha Alphas (medical emergencies) we heard during the week. Add two ambulances in Nassau and one in St. Marteen.

We cruised many times before but never heard more than one.

Is this normal?

Freedom two summers ago.

First sea day alpha on deck 10, pt having heart attack.

Day two, Labadee, helicopter landed on island, medical emergency. Surprised they waited to dock, probably too much of a hassle with the "basket" at sea.

Those are only ones we heard.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

About 6000 guests / passangers and close to 2400 crew - that is a lot of people.

Probably on other ships with a lot more older guests - the number of medical emergencies might be the same, even that the number of guests and crew is a lot smaller.

There is nothing normal or abnormal about the total number of alpha codes you heard. It doesn't matter whether you are on a ship carrying 200 or 6000+ people. Healthcare emergencies will occur and unless there is a significant threat recognized on the ship such as the infamous norovirus, the total number of the emergency occurrences is irrelevant.

The person teaching the class, once said, than on a seven day cruise, most likely there will be one death, and potentially several other medical issues.

I live in a retirement area, and it is not uncommon to see the EMT at restaurants on a seemly regular basis, so we are familiar with medical emergencies, just the nature of getting old and traveling or having a good time, but what a nice way to go(we have a different outlook than many) better than most alternatives

Travel insurance is your friend, for more than the price of the cruise.

Just came off the Oasis and my wife and I were surprised with the amounts of Alpha Alpha Alphas (medical emergencies) we heard during the week. Add two ambulances in Nassau and one in St. Marteen.

We cruised many times before but never heard more than one.

Is this normal?

Personally, I have never died or had any medical emergency, so I always wind up having such a good time I pay no attention about those that do.;)

I was on this Oasis last week. I only remember hearing 3 ALPHA's including one of which I am not sure they ever found. I did see one of the Ambulances but from where I was I couldn't tell which ship it was at. All in all I think those are fairly good statistics for 6,000 passengers and a large crew.

We just got off Oasis yesterday, too, and my DH and I thought it was an abnormally high number of "Alpha" calls, too. We counted 4 in all. On our other cruises, the most we can remember is one. We heard that an older lady fell down near the Aqua Theater and busted her head-- she was one who needed an ambulance in Nassau-- she was apparently fine after they got her stitched up in Nassau. We also heard that the one in the dining room was from someone choking on food. That person was also fine, according to our waiter. Don't know about the other two. --Katie

About 6000 guests / passangers and close to 2400 crew - that is a lot of people.

Probably on other ships with a lot more older guests - the number of medical emergencies might be the same, even that the number of guests and crew is a lot smaller.

When we sailed Holland America (just the once aggghhh !!!) they said they have a morgue twice as big as other cruise lines because of how old their passengers are !

On Oasis 9/15 a man was taken off by helicopter when we were in Labadee. Heard he had a blood clot and was taken to DR and then to Miami. His wife was hysterical because they wouldn't let her on the medi-vac. No idea how she was able to meet up with him

On our recent FOS cruise, we had a delay in Falmouth, Jamaica while an ambulance was called to evacuate someone. We also saw an elderly lady slip and fall in the Solarium near the pool, I don't think she was seriously hurt, more embarrassed than anything. She kept telling them she was fine, she was having a bit of trouble getting back up on her own, but they drug her to the hospital to be checked over just in case. I am a nurse and was just about to run to her but the staff in the Solarium beat me to her. ;)

On our recent FOS cruise, we had a delay in Falmouth, Jamaica while an ambulance was called to evacuate someone. We also saw an elderly lady slip and fall in the Solarium near the pool, I don't think she was seriously hurt, more embarrassed than anything. She kept telling them she was fine, she was having a bit of trouble getting back up on her own, but they drug her to the hospital to be checked over just in case. I am a nurse and was just about to run to her but the staff in the Solarium beat me to her. ;)

Oh my god !!!!! They drugged an old lady !!!!!! Ha ha ha

We've heard two triple alphas on a cruise, but never more than that. We were more concerned to hear two fire calls during one 7-day cruise, though. Not that we're uncaring about someone's medical emergency, but the fire calls potentially threaten more than one passenger. Apparently they were kitchen fires, in these cases.

Archived