Last day on the ship- How late in the cabin

showdog

On most cruises the cabin steward starts making a bunch of noise around 7 am and wants you out of your cabin no later than 8 am. Will this be the case on the Zuiderdam?

To me that is the most unpleasant part of the whole trip. I understand that they want you out of our cabin, but it's the way that they usually go about it.

They are nice and friendly to you all week and then all of the sudden they are banging around and trying to get you out of there.

I was just curious on what it will be like on our last day. We will be able to sleep in until 7 or 8 and leave our cabin by 8:30 or 9:00. Is that out of the question?

I've been on over a dozen cruises and different lines and all of them do this. To some of you out there, you know what I'm talking about.

I've never been on HAL.

Thanks

Disembarkation began around 8 a.m.

We were among the last off, as we live in the area and had no flight to catch. We got off the ship at about 10 a.m.

We woke up at 6 and went to the Lido for breakfast at 7:30. It was very crowded.

My daughters and their boyfriends joined us at about 8:15 -- I think they all just rolled out of bed and wanted to grab breakfast quickly. By then the lines were short and the crowds long gone.

The breakfast serving stations promptly shut down at 8:30.

We went down to my room and sat there until we were called at 10 to disembark. There was no problem with staying in our rooms.

My daughters and I actually had a little tour, courtesy of our cabin steward, of two of the aft cabins on Deck 6. I'd always wanted to check them out -- wow!

One more thing: I have never had a cabin steward on HAL who was unfriendly or rushing me out on the last day. They are the best -- even the stewards for other cabins on your floor will greet you with a big smile and a warm "good morning."

As we were waiting to disembark, I was looking for Budi, our steward, to give him an additional tip. He was nowhere to be found and I was getting worried! One of the crew members was passing by with a laundry cart, and I asked him if he'd seen Budi. He and one other steward went searching until they found him for me -- and were happy to assist!

I cannot say enough about the wonderful crew on the Zuiderdam.

I don't mind getting up early and getting out of there.

I just noticed on the other lines the cabin stewards are banging on the door and yelling in the halls to get you out of the rooms and I think that's a little rude.

So you able to go back to your room and sit in there until 10 am? that sounds really nice. I sure hope they allow us to do that.

I don't think anyone will be pounding on your door and yelling for you to get up ... unless you sleep till noon!

HAL allows you to stay in your room until your number/color is called to disembark. [We were Green 5. :D]

It goes according to your plans following the cruise. Those off earliest have early flights to catch.

Since we drove to the port and live 1.5 hours away, there was no need for us to hurry and we were assigned to leave last.

It has happened on NCL, MANY times on Carnival, Big Red Boat, and even on Princess I hate to say a few times.

I understand that they only have so much time to turn around the cabin and clean up before the next group gets on but the way their whole demeanor changes from one day to the next amazes me.

One day a smile and going out of their way to be nice to you and the day of departure a whole different attitude. That is the day you would think they would not be this way as you might want to give them a little extra something.

I always wait to see how this last morning goes and not give them an extra tip the night before.

I'm not sure if their attitude changes because they realize that your trip is over and they know that they have gotten what ever tip they will get out of you and now they are done with you or what but it is very depressing in a way.

Like I said, I have been on many cruises and that is always the worst part for me. It really leaves a bad feeling for me and I always try to forget that part of the cruise. That's what keeps me going back 2 times a year.

On our recent cruise I wasn't sure what to expect the last day but was pleasantly suprised. Most of the guests near our stateroom lingered in their rooms with their doors opened and everyone casually invited each other into their rooms to compare notes on cabin space, views, etc. The stewards were also very casual but polite and it was an enjoyable way to end a great cruise.

That is really a nice surprise. I always like looking at the other cabins to see which one I might like to get on the next trip. We've already booked our Alaska cruise for next year because my husband found the cabin he wanted by doing this on our last cruise.

On the Zuiderdam, no one pounded on doors nor did were anyone noisey in the hall ways. Disembarkation started at 8 a.m. sharp, we were the 2nd called off the ship at about 8:06 a.m.

We have never experienced the steward or anyone else banging on the door asking us to leave and any of the cruise lines we have been on Carnival, NCL and Hal. I will say though that when we have left the cabin we see or hear that they are nearby and still as polite as ever.

On our recent Ft. Lauderdale to Rome cruise on Westerdam, it was announced that you could remain in your cabin until your disembarkation color and number was called. The announcements were carried both on the PA system in the corridors, and on the TV (ch. 44).

We stayed in our cabin until our color was called. The only noise that the crew made was walking from balcony to baclony opening up all of the partitions. I guess this makes it easier to clean.

The only issue was they called too many groups at once, so by the time we walked to the gangway, it was chaos. They should have called less groups and allowed the lobby area to clear out some.

I thought possibility to stay in your cabin untill your # (we had 30 or something) called was a great advantage of our Zuiderdam experience! I love Celebrity , but they make you wait in the theater or one of the lounges.

On HAL you can stay in cabin and watch TV, then walk off the ship .:)

I much prefer disembarkation HAL-style.

Nothing more depressing than the end of the cruise, and being coaxed out of your room to languish in a lounge for a couple of hours makes it horrible.

It's much nicer being able to have a relaxing breakfast on your verandah while you chat w/ your steward and wait for your number to be called.

I just noticed on the other lines the cabin stewards are banging on the door and yelling in the halls to get you out of the rooms and I think that's a little rude.

I've never experienced anything like this on HAL ... I wouldn't expect it, either, on the Zuiderdam. You'll be able to enjoy your cabin and wait until your number is called to disembark.

On our Oosterdam cruise in March 2004 we were allowed to stay in our cabin until our group was called. Our steward did ask if we minded that he started on the cabin to get it ready for the next occupants. It actually was very pleasant as we got a chance to really chat with him for the first time. On the Galaxy this past March we were asked to move to one of the lounges. Nicer to stay in the cabin....particularly since we had a beautiful suite....but it's also a catch-22 situation. We had priority boarding at the beginning of the cruise and our cabin was ready the moment we walked on the ship. If the previous occupants hadn't have vacated early then that wouldn't have been possible...at least the cabin being ready part. Guess I'd rather be able to go to my cabin and drop off my carry-ons than have an hour or two on disembarkation day in my cabin to "mourn" the end of the cruise.

That is really a nice surprise. I always like looking at the other cabins to see which one I might like to get on the next trip. We've already booked our Alaska cruise for next year because my husband found the cabin he wanted by doing this on our last cruise.

Are you booked already on a HAL ship to Alaska? If so, how did you do this? I cannot find out any info on booking for 2006 - have called several TAs - I know other lines have their info out already.

Also - if you are with HAL - what ship did you book? It seems that the Vol and Zui are my choices for the RT Vancouver in 2006.

Thanks!

Gici

I'm cruising to Alaska in August on the Amsterdam. I am staying over in Seattle one more day (after disembarking), so I won't be in a rush to get off the ship. Is there something you fill out when you get on the ship...or do they take this information off the immigration form you fill out ahead of time? I notice on that form they do ask when you are leaving, what day and flight time, etc. Just wanting to know how I can attain one of those coveted "later" disembarkation numbers!

Thanks!

Jane :)

SantaAna, at some point, all too early in your cruise, you will be asked to complete a form listing out your plans for disembarkation day. That form will be turned in to the Front Office, and they will determine the disembarkation order based on the info provided.

The people with early flights get lower numbers than those with later flights. Those with no time crunch are usually toward the end.

Thank you Ruth. I am actually staying another day in Seattle because I'm flying back (via Kenmore Air) to Victoria. The ship gets in so late to Victoria, I didn't want to skimp on time spent at Butchart Gardens, so I'm taking another day to fully enjoy it. I can't wait, it seems like forever; 9 weeks and counting until my Alaska cruise leaves!

Thanks again,

Jane :)

Archived