P & O cost cutting apparent

Blackpuddi

We haven't had the plastic wallets to keep the cruise card/room key in for the last couple of cruises. I must admit, for what they must save by not supplying them and the quantity they must buy in, it seems a bit penny-pinching.

Why would anyone want a little plastic wallet - do you keep your normal Credit/Debit card in a little plastic wallet?

Confused!

We haven't had the plastic wallets to keep the cruise card/room key in for the last couple of cruises. I must admit, for what they must save by not supplying them and the quantity they must buy in, it seems a bit penny-pinching.

They supplied a plastic wallet when you had separate cruise cards and cabin keys. Now you just have one dual use card, so a platic wallet is not necessary.

• 1 month later...

I have just read Frederick the Great's June 2012 review of his experience on Aurora's World Cruise.

Some of the leaks and toilet problems were still apparent on Aurora's Eastern Med cruise 11 - 12/12. As a non-expert it seems Aurora is overdue for an overhaul. My report compares Aurora with Celebrity Silhouette. No prizes for guessing which comes second.

:)I first cruised with P&O in 2000 we have done 25 cruises since with four companies. Yes it is not what it used to be but I paid the same this year as I paid for my first cruise. Nice for me but who loses out and where did they cut those inflation costs over the last 13 years. In my experience the little touches went first ie getting a blanket given to you on the prom deck when the sun went in to now the MDR not serving when in port at lunch time. I will still cruise with P&O but I don't expect the same level as in 2000.

...............the MDR not serving when in port at lunch time............

The main dining room has always been open at lunchtime with P&O when in port. Well it was two months ago. Unlike some other cruiselines (eg Royal Caribbean)

Brian.

I can't comment on whether P&O are cost cutting, but we've just returned from a 2 week cruise from Southampton to Barbados on Azura, this was our first time with P&O (and our last) and the standards were definitely not up to other lines we've been on. Another couple we spoke to had been on Ventura previously and said the food was wonderful on Ventura but they also thought the food on this particular cruise on Azura was terrible, so don't know if it was just specific to this cruise or not.

The choice and quality in the main dining room (freedom dining) was not very good at all, and the buffet was absolutely terrible and very limited. The soups were the exception in the main dining room, they were usually good, but the mains were just not very exciting or tasty at all (with the exception of beef wellington), and a desert never appealed to me in the main dining room.

The pay venues though were amazing - but we don't want to have to go to a pay venue every single night! Sindhu was very good, as was Verona Lava Rock Steak (but after the first couple of days unless you were queuing well before they opened you had no chance of getting in), Glasshouse was great and 17 food was amazing - service in all of the pay venues was exceptional - but in the main dining room was very hit and miss. The freshly cooked Pizza station near the pool was very good as well, they ought to keep that open in the evening in the Caribbean

The juices with breakfast were like orange squash - extremely watered down, terrible - same in buffet, room service or main dining room. The deserts were dismal (except for the pay venues again) and not sure why P&O think a cheese board means thin slices of red leicester or white cheddar only (except 1 night when there was 1 tiny camembert as well on the buffet (which was gone in about 2 mins)

The buffet layout was terrible, they usually only had 1 of the 3 buffet areas open (except at breakfast) so it was usually hectic and people going all directions - don't know if they normally do it, but each of the 3 buffet areas was split down the middle and then did the exact same food each side of that one buffet area - which meant small areas and limited choice - usually same salad stuff each day, ham, beef, etc. and 2 or 3 hot options (joint and a stew type option), and a small section with about 3 desert options

It was a 2 week cruise but they only seemed to have entertainment for 1 week - so a lot of things were repeated in the second week

Also we paid for specific seats on Flight Booker (when it was eventually working) but when we got the Boarding Cards they had put us elsewhere and said it happens often that the seats booked online before the cruise sometimes don't get through to on board - so even though they say on board not to go to the flight desk if you've already booked seats - you should go and see them to make sure - by the time they send the boarding passes to your cabin its too late and they then won't change them, even though you have proof of payment for the seats, they are not interested and will not refund your money. Even ashore won't refund the money without me filling in forms and sending them to P&O - even though they confirm on the phone that they messed up, they won't refund the money without the form and email!

Gosh - this sounds terrible. Which ship was the food so bad? We are on Oriana in September. Mind you it could be our last P&O - we preferred Fred O in lots of ways

You may not get a reply it is a very general swipe at P&O

Gan Canny

Dai

We were on Aurora 3 week cruise to Caribbean. We were first sitting in Alexandra restaurant. The food could not be faulted. One of the best cruises as far as the food is concerned. Other faults with Aurora but food in MDR definitely not one of them. Buffet was exceptionally bad probably the worst ever but we are not buffet fans. Not over keen on the select dining venues either on this ship.

We are on Azura in March so hope the MDR has improved by then, but we can always go to Sindhu and the Trattoria on there.

Sue

We were on Aurora 3 week cruise to Caribbean. We were first sitting in Alexandra restaurant. The food could not be faulted. One of the best cruises as far as the food is concerned. Other faults with Aurora but food in MDR definitely not one of them. Buffet was exceptionally bad probably the worst ever but we are not buffet fans. Not over keen on the select dining venues either on this ship.

We are on Azura in March so hope the MDR has improved by then, but we can always go to Sindhu and the Trattoria on there.

Sue

Sue some people will get a meal they do not like and say the food was bad for the whole cruise. Like every other cruise line P&O are dealing with mass catering and from our experience they do a good job. As I am sure is the case on all other lines.

They do not try to produce fine dining that would be impossible. Fine dining is to be had in 17 etc.

Clearly on all ships on all lines things will go wrong so picking on one or 2 instances is clearly wrong. In our 20+ cruises I have never seen anyone on our table of 8 complain about the standard of food.

Gan Canny

Dai

:cool:

Sue

As I said I hope that this is just a one off, but the food was most definitely below par on this Cruise 10th - 24th Jan 2013 on Azura - I haven't been on P&O before so can't comment, but others praised other P&O Cruises, so am assuming it was just this one.

Have never on other cruises felt the food selection was bad, but the buffet really was terrible. It is not a sweeping statement against P&O as someone else mentioned, we've cruises sister ship with Princess with no problems, we wanted to give P&O a go as we like to try different lines, but out of 8 cruises this comes the bottom of the list for us - but as I say hopefully for others that is just a one off for this cruise, most dining room staff were not friendly at all in freedom dining - of course there were a few exceptions, but on the whole did not feel the service or food was up to scratch

Entertainment OK, theatre group couple of good shows, couple of terrible ones, but no idea whey they have to chuck loads of smoke out for every performance. Guest speaker Ian Brown (ex policeman) was excellent, Jessica Lloyd vocalist was amazing, comedian, one exellent, one terrible - but you can't cater to all - can only give your honest opinion for others and then move onto lines that suit you - as we will do!

Sue the Verona was wonderful but you did have to get there at least half an hour before opening to get in - again, that may be because the food in MDR was below par on this cruise, so may not be the case on your cruise later in the year?

As I said I hope that this is just a one off, but the food was most definitely below par on this Cruise 10th - 24th Jan 2013 on Azura - I haven't been on P&O before so can't comment, but others praised other P&O Cruises, so am assuming it was just this one.

Have never on other cruises felt the food selection was bad, but the buffet really was terrible. It is not a sweeping statement against P&O as someone else mentioned, we've cruises sister ship with Princess with no problems, we wanted to give P&O a go as we like to try different lines, but out of 8 cruises this comes the bottom of the list for us - but as I say hopefully for others that is just a one off for this cruise, most dining room staff were not friendly at all in freedom dining - of course there were a few exceptions, but on the whole did not feel the service or food was up to scratch

Entertainment OK, theatre group couple of good shows, couple of terrible ones, but no idea whey they have to chuck loads of smoke out for every performance. Guest speaker Ian Brown (ex policeman) was excellent, Jessica Lloyd vocalist was amazing, comedian, one exellent, one terrible - but you can't cater to all - can only give your honest opinion for others and then move onto lines that suit you - as we will do!

Sue the Verona was wonderful but you did have to get there at least half an hour before opening to get in - again, that may be because the food in MDR was below par on this cruise, so may not be the case on your cruise later in the year?

If you want to go to the Verona evening meal and it is full turn up at the door and they will give you a pager. You go to a bar and wait. We did this twice and had about half an hour to wait. We always go for a drink first so it was no hardship. It's not the kind of restaurant you want to be in all at the same time as the service would suffer. The food is excellent. Especially the steak on the hot rock.

Gan Canny

Dai

If you want to go to the Verona evening meal and it is full turn up at the door and they will give you a pager. You go to a bar and wait. We did this twice and had about half an hour to wait. We always go for a drink first so it was no hardship. It's not the kind of restaurant you want to be in all at the same time as the service would suffer. The food is excellent. Especially the steak on the hot rock.

Gan Canny

Dai

Hi Dai

Yes I agree and that's what we did on about Day 4 (of 14) we arrvied at 6.20pm, they open at 6.30pm, there was a queue already, we waited and then they gave us a buzzer and told us an hour wait, we went to a bar and then came back when buzzed and had a fantastic Lava Hot Rock Steak.

We went another night just after 6.30pm and the queue was massive so we went away, we came back later about 7pm to find some others complaining in front of us that they'd tried 3 nights on the trot to get a table without any joy. the waiter said he'd ran out of buzzers and all the tables for the night were gone - which is why I say go early

Maybe if you come back at say 8pm there will be tables open again but the waiter was insistent that there was no space even with buzzers

Again, this may just have been that many more than usual were trying to use Verona than usual on other cruises?

In the main dining room if you wanted a table for 2 the wait was always an hour or more with a buzzer, sometimes we didn't mind this, as we knew it would be the case so we went planning to go to a bar for an hour or so, to be honest the wait was never as long as they claimed. Other nights we just shared and then you get in straight away

Hi Dai

Yes I agree and that's what we did on about Day 4 (of 14) we arrvied at 6.20pm, they open at 6.30pm, there was a queue already, we waited and then they gave us a buzzer and told us an hour wait, we went to a bar and then came back when buzzed and had a fantastic Lava Hot Rock Steak.

We went another night just after 6.30pm and the queue was massive so we went away, we came back later about 7pm to find some others complaining in front of us that they'd tried 3 nights on the trot to get a table without any joy. the waiter said he'd ran out of buzzers and all the tables for the night were gone - which is why I say go early

Maybe if you come back at say 8pm there will be tables open again but the waiter was insistent that there was no space even with buzzers

Again, this may just have been that many more than usual were trying to use Verona than usual on other cruises?

In the main dining room if you wanted a table for 2 the wait was always an hour or more with a buzzer, sometimes we didn't mind this, as we knew it would be the case so we went planning to go to a bar for an hour or so, to be honest the wait was never as long as they claimed. Other nights we just shared and then you get in straight away

Yes we had no problem and our friend who came with us had used it on a number of occasions. Perhaps we should stop talking about it and saying how good it is so we can get in when we want.:)

We always go second sitting with a large table so not a problem there.

Gan Canny

Dai.

:cool::cool:

Gosh - this sounds terrible. Which ship was the food so bad? We are on Oriana in September. Mind you it could be our last P&O - we preferred Fred O in lots of ways

I really wouldn't worry. I took two three-week cruises on Oriana last year (one over Xmas & New Year) and found the food excellent - although I guess it depends what you are used to at home ?!

What a clown. Every cruise line does the same.

I don't agree that they all do it - yes they all have Speciality 'pay' restaurants, but I've never felt the other lines so far have reduced MDR choice, quality and service to force you to use the pay venues - as I say I hope it was just a one off cruise on Azura

There are no reviews on here so far, but there are 2 for this cruise on another forum (I assume I'm not allowed to mention it) and one has 1 out of 5 stars and the other has 2 out of 5 stars (I've not done my review yet) so shows it's not just me (and others I'e spoken to who were on board also agree it was below standard for P&O) - but the previous reviews especially a couple of months ago are usually all 4 or 5 stars - so it definitely sounds like it was a one-off on this cruise, but that is bad for P&O as that's how they loose customers.

And because previous reviews are good anyone giving a bad review is accused of P&O bashing instead of giving an honest opinion and review :(

I don't agree that they all do it - yes they all have Speciality 'pay' restaurants, but I've never felt the other lines so far have reduced MDR choice, quality and service to force you to use the pay venues - as I say I hope it was just a one off cruise on Azura

There are no reviews on here so far, but there are 2 for this cruise on another forum (I assume I'm not allowed to mention it) and one has 1 out of 5 stars and the other has 2 out of 5 stars (I've not done my review yet) so shows it's not just me (and others I'e spoken to who were on board also agree it was below standard for P&O) - but the previous reviews especially a couple of months ago are usually all 4 or 5 stars - so it definitely sounds like it was a one-off on this cruise, but that is bad for P&O as that's how they loose customers.

And because previous reviews are good anyone giving a bad review is accused of P&O bashing instead of giving an honest opinion and review :(

Nyree

I have no problem with your full review. The above was for other eyes. And I was talking about pay restaurants. The implication above was that P&O deliberately had bad food in the MDR to drive people into the pay ones.

Gan Canny

Dai

Archived