So dissappointed by the Majesty :(

Hey guys,

My fiancee and I just got off the Majesty yesterday morning. We did the 3 night cruise. I have to say, I only have Carnival to really compare RCI to, but I really expected more from what I read on the boards.

1. The decks were dirty (food just flying around, nobody crew or cruisers picked up anything). Literally got smacked with someone's old boarding pass as I was laying out, and just the number of orange rinds and cherry stems that littered the deck made my skin crawl.

2. Our room steward was an idiot (he kept leaving his cleaning supplies in our bathroom when he was done with the room, and then he threw away our soap and cleaned the bathroom *new cups, towels, etc* on the last morning, even tho he knew we were coming back to brush our teeth before we got off the boat),

3. And dare I even mention the food, since that's so subjective anyway.

I plan to put together a more formal : The good, the bad, & the reasons I just kept drinking, later, but if you have any questions let me know!!

Our itinerary was messed up due to weather, but we really didn't care because we didn't exactly do this cruise for the ports. We did it to get away, before our wedding next month, and hide from our families for a couple of days....

And really, I met those objectives, so really I'll be okay, but I don't know if I'll sail RCI again, or at least not soon... The bad taste in my mouth may be more than just the bad coffee :)

Sorry you had a bad time on MAJ - we've been on her two times and enjoyed each:). Not to sound like a cheerleader, but the room steward does have a ton to do before the next passengers board and doesn't really have time to wait for you to finish your morning routine (especially if you've left the cabin already). We always try to get out of their way as early as we can to help them out. You are right, food is subjective and what's good to me may not be good to you. As to the general level of cleanliness, I find that one hard to believe, but maybe you were on board with a slovenly group. Each RCCL trip I've been on I've always seen tons of crew moving around cleaning, painting etc.

Hope your wedding goes well and that you enjoy your trip on Carnival:D

Hey guys,

My fiancee and I just got off the Majesty yesterday morning. We did the 3 night cruise. I have to say, I only have Carnival to really compare RCI to, but I really expected more from what I read on the boards.

1. The decks were dirty (food just flying around, nobody crew or cruisers picked up anything). Literally got smacked with someone's old boarding pass as I was laying out, and just the number of orange rinds and cherry stems that littered the deck made my skin crawl.

2. Our room steward was an idiot (he kept leaving his cleaning supplies in our bathroom when he was done with the room, and then he threw away our soap and cleaned the bathroom *new cups, towels, etc* on the last morning, even tho he knew we were coming back to brush our teeth before we got off the boat),

3. And dare I even mention the food, since that's so subjective anyway.

I plan to put together a more formal : The good, the bad, & the reasons I just kept drinking, later, but if you have any questions let me know!!

Our itinerary was messed up due to weather, but we really didn't care because we didn't exactly do this cruise for the ports. We did it to get away, before our wedding next month, and hide from our families for a couple of days....

And really, I met those objectives, so really I'll be okay, but I don't know if I'll sail RCI again, or at least not soon... The bad taste in my mouth may be more than just the bad coffee :)

That is a hoot...you are almost repeating word for word my review of Carnival Ecstasy:D except the dirty mop and bucket that was left in the main lido restroom for a week

Not to make excuses, but Majesty is one of the smallest ships in the fleet and really does not represent Royal to its fullest.

Try one of the larger ships, at least a Voyager class if not larger, then come back and let us know your thoughts. We have done both Carnival and Royal and really do prefer the larger Royal ships over anything we sailed on with Carnival. Having said that, if there was an itinerary I liked for a good price on Carnival I would definitely consider it.

You picked the second oldest ship in the fleet to make a great impression. To experience the WOW effect and see what Royal Caribbean is all about you'll have to sail on a ship that was produced within this decade.

Pity that RCCL uses the oldest ships with the smallest cabins and fewest amenities for the 3/4 night cruises. Many new to RCCL or new to cruising try these short cruses and are often disappointed. I imagine it will change a bit when the Enchantment come to Port Canaveral.

However - this still does not excuse a dirty ship.

M

Pity that RCCL uses the oldest ships with the smallest cabins and fewest amenities for the 3/4 night cruises. Many new to RCCL or new to cruising try these short cruses and are often disappointed. I imagine it will change a bit when the Enchantment come to Port Canaveral.

However - this still does not excuse a dirty ship.

M

The ship doesn't need an excuse. We were on her the weekend prior, and didn't see anything that dirty- just the normal stuff people would leave next to them. She's a great ship.

Sometimes, we share cruises with slobs, sometimes we don't. The crew does the best they can, and most of the time I see, it's a great job.

Then again, we did manage to have an awesome day at Coco Cay, moving the rif-raff to the island for a while... :p

Blaming the age and size of the ship for food being left lying around? Really?

Blaming the age and size of the ship for the cabin steward doing a poor job? Really?

Some folks must have really tired arms from waving those pom-poms.:rolleyes:

Sorry about your experience but I have been on the Majesty/Sovereign 9 times and have never had a problem. While I know ever little thing cant be kept up, picked up and tidy I know I have seen them always hard at work. I can tell you this... I would never want the job of cleaning up after passengers who know they have people to clean up after them and its a free-for-all with everything.

Ive also come to know that some people see things differently than others. I am a neat freak and trust me, if I had experienced this I would not have gone back 8 more times. While I know there are things that happen my overall experience has always been good.

Im not saying that what you experienced didnt happen. But I challenge you to try again. Ive been on the oldest ship RC has and I can not imagine it getting better than what Ive seen on the other newer bigger ships. Please post your review, that might help us understand more.

I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy the Majesty. I love sailing on her for a few days away. We've really enjoyed the personal service we've always gotten on her. Good thing it wasn't your wedding cruise though!! Enjoy Carnival.

Blaming the age and size of the ship for the cabin steward doing a poor job? Really?

I was thinking the same thing so I'll just pray for the OP while they jump all over her!!

The problem is that many people hear about all the things to do on Royal and how it has this great WOW factor, then they book on the small ships without the wow. They then come on here and say Royal is not what I expected, I am never coming back. That's where I have the issue, they didn't do their research and blame the cruise line.

As for the dirty decks, they were on a 3 day weekend cruise, what type of other passengers usually sail on those? Especially in off season where they can get on cheap. I am not saying it is acceptable but again, some research and a little common sense goes a long way.

Now the cabin steward. There was no reason for them to leave their cleaning supplies there. As for throwing out their stuff (I am assuming on the last morning) did they let the steward know they would be back and what they needed? Maybe he thought they were done with those items??

I do feel that OP did not like their cruise, but feel that some of that is on them. It is always amazing to me how 2 people can be on the same ship, one who loves it and the other who hates it. I have seen reviews of cruises I have been on that were so different from my experience that I wondered if they were truly on the same ship. Expectations and research go a long way.

I never said anything about the ship itself being "old" or anything like that!

The ship itself I thought was far beyond what some people had written in their reviews... It didn't seem old, outdated, not painted or anything like that. we had an ocean view on deck 9, and I thought it was much larger than people let on. I think in that regard, some people have been really harsh.

However, I do feel that the ship was just dirty.

I'm specifically saying, We would see certain food dishes and food products and cups/cans etc rolling all over the deck. And they never got thrown away. It was there yesterday, it was there today. Not even the 50 mph winds tried to pick it all up. And honestly, I got tired of cleaning it up myself... I went on vacation to not have to clean up after other people for a while!

I will get the review done shortly (also doing wedding planning, laundry, work for my day job etc) so it might take a while.

I realize that the ship is one of the oldest, and one of the smallest, but you generally end up paying more per night on the shorter cruises, so you would think you would get at least their normal treatment!

I never said that the crew's job was easy, and I agree, some people are pigs, but if you are representing your company, you should be selling your product hard. I really felt like Royal wasn't trying to convince me to go on a bigger/longer cruise. This is probably a lot of people's first glimpse of the line/fleet, and I just think they could try harder.

Okay, now resume arguing with me and telling me I'm wrong about points that I didn't make!! (obviously I'm smiling as I write this, I'm not trying to offend anyone).

The problem is that many people hear about all the things to do on Royal and how it has this great WOW factor, then they book on the small ships without the wow. They then come on here and say Royal is not what I expected, I am never coming back. That's where I have the issue, they didn't do their research and blame the cruise line.

As for the dirty decks, they were on a 3 day weekend cruise, what type of other passengers usually sail on those? Especially in off season where they can get on cheap. I am not saying it is acceptable but again, some research and a little common sense goes a long way.

Now the cabin steward. There was no reason for them to leave their cleaning supplies there. As for throwing out their stuff (I am assuming on the last morning) did they let the steward know they would be back and what they needed? Maybe he thought they were done with those items??

I do feel that OP did not like their cruise, but feel that some of that is on them. It is always amazing to me how 2 people can be on the same ship, one who loves it and the other who hates it. I have seen reviews of cruises I have been on that were so different from my experience that I wondered if they were truly on the same ship. Expectations and research go a long way.

Since you felt it was necessary to say I didn't do my research and I don't have common sense, I feel I should probably respond to you.

You don't know me, but I am educated, I went to school for a very long time, and I really don't appreciate anyone saying I was under-prepared or that for some reason I don't have "smarts." I did do my research, I chose Majesty over Monarch. We wanted a get-a-way weekend.

I specifically did not go on a bigger RCI cruise ship because A) I didn't have the time to do a 7 day cruise

B) I didn't want to reserve a seat just to go to a show (seems ridiculous to me.... what if I have a change of heart and what to see a show on a whim... its MY vacation)

C) I don't want to pay for all the "WOW" factors then pay again when I get on board (and it seems most things have a fee with RCI)...

I don't want to hear "oh it was a 3 day cruise" because they should still do their jobs...

That's like saying a surgeon who does a great complicated surgery well but if it's "just a gallbladder" it doesn't matter if your mom dies of an infection. Oh well, what did you expect, it wasn't a longer procedure. That's ridiculous. Do your job right, all of the time, not just when it's "convenient"

I'm blaming the cruise line for not trying harder to retain it's customers.

Also, we told our room steward specifically, "we will be back in 20 minutes, we will be done after that". Our luggage wasn't even completely packed yet. It wasn't like it was 9 AM; it was 7 AM.

Quite honestly I'm just offended at how close minded you are. Maybe try to put down the pompoms and think a little bit.

Cheers!!!

Nowhere does the OP express a concern for a lack of amenities or "wow" factor. A dirty ship is a dirty ship and there is no excuse for it. Would not expect it from a smaller ship like Majesty or Monarch or a larger one like Freedom or Oasis.

Nowhere does the OP express a concern for a lack of amenities or "wow" factor. A dirty ship is a dirty ship and there is no excuse for it. Would not expect it from a smaller ship like Majesty or Monarch or a larger one like Freedom or Oasis.

Thank you!:)

As a Wesleyville native, I will say a bad day on Majesty is better than a good day in Erie! (kidding to others, I'm originally from her area)

I do recommend you try it again. These 3 day cruises can vary drastically from one week to the next and I assure you we haven't had a bad one yet. This particular cruise can be a weekend getaway party for many people.

I was thinking the same thing so I'll just pray for the OP while they jump all over her!!

Well, I find it interesting that just a week prior, we didn't notice anything like what was being described. Cabin didn't have cleaning supplies all over the place, food and stuff wasn't strewn all over the decks, the food was even edible for a human. This was over 10/5-8.

I find it just as interesting that people put 100% validity into negative reviews and then tag people who post other wise as cheerleaders. Are you *hoping* or just looking for bad reviews to lower your expectations?

Heck, we even got 2 towel animals in our cabin last weekend.

So it's true when you post negative, and cheerleading when you post positive? wow.

I never said anything about the ship itself being "old" or anything like that!

The ship itself I thought was far beyond what some people had written in their reviews... It didn't seem old, outdated, not painted or anything like that. we had an ocean view on deck 9, and I thought it was much larger than people let on. I think in that regard, some people have been really harsh.

However, I do feel that the ship was just dirty.

I'm specifically saying, We would see certain food dishes and food products and cups/cans etc rolling all over the deck. And they never got thrown away. It was there yesterday, it was there today. Not even the 50 mph winds tried to pick it all up. And honestly, I got tired of cleaning it up myself... I went on vacation to not have to clean up after other people for a while!

I will get the review done shortly (also doing wedding planning, laundry, work for my day job etc) so it might take a while.

I realize that the ship is one of the oldest, and one of the smallest, but you generally end up paying more per night on the shorter cruises, so you would think you would get at least their normal treatment!

I never said that the crew's job was easy, and I agree, some people are pigs, but if you are representing your company, you should be selling your product hard. I really felt like Royal wasn't trying to convince me to go on a bigger/longer cruise. This is probably a lot of people's first glimpse of the line/fleet, and I just think they could try harder.

Okay, now resume arguing with me and telling me I'm wrong about points that I didn't make!! (obviously I'm smiling as I write this, I'm not trying to offend anyone).

Please don't feel like you have to justify yourself to the minority of CC's on here who do not like letting people have their own opinion.

Please don't feel you have to justify yourself against other peoples self centredness - you don't !!

You had a trip with faults on the ship and I wouldn't have been happy at all with the things you say which I take at full truthful face value.

I do hope you will try RCCL in the future as the Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class ships would be much better for you !!

I agree completely. And RCI needs to be very aware of this because a dirty ship can actually haunt them for years to come.

As an example -- I went on Grandeur once and while I enjoyed the ports and the people I met I will probably never cruise on that ship again because it was dirty and in dire need of repairs. It seemed that more sliding doors to the pool deck were broken than were working and the muster station sign for my station was held together with duct tape. If that ship had been my first experience with RCI I might never have cruised with them again. Yeah, Grandeur may be a much better ship now than she was then but her appearance and state then has certainly tainted my view of her.

It may have just been a bad weekend for Majesty and maybe a bad weekend for the stateroom attendant, but that still doesn't negate the fact that the OP's experience wasn't up to her expectations.

Maybe RCI needs some 'secret shoppers' to anonymously go on cruises and report their findings back to HQ! Any volunteers? :D

Well, I find it interesting that just a week prior, we didn't notice anything like what was being described. Cabin didn't have cleaning supplies all over the place, food and stuff wasn't strewn all over the decks, the food was even edible for a human. This was over 10/5-8.

I find it just as interesting that people put 100% validity into negative reviews and then tag people who post other wise as cheerleaders. Are you *hoping* or just looking for bad reviews to lower your expectations?

Heck, we even got 2 towel animals in our cabin last weekend.

So it's true when you post negative, and cheerleading when you post positive? wow.

You might not have found the things the week before, but the OP obviously did the week later !

:-)

You might not have found the things the week before, but the OP obviously did the week later !

:-)

Man, the ship just fell into a black hole of garbage in a week, didn't it?:rolleyes:

You know, if you are LOOKING for faults, and reasons to have a bad time, it's pretty easy.

Call me a cheerleader if you want, but when I spend money on a vacation, I don't attempt to find things that make me think I wasted my time and money.

Archived