Mattresses on Princess cruises

auntkaty

I am thinking about trying a Princess cruise, but I am very concerned about what I read about the uncomfortable mattresses that cruisers describe on Princess. When I sailed NCL, I was miserable, because the mattress on the Sun was lumpy and uncomfortable. I tried Carnival and their beds were awesome! I don't want an egg crate to compensate for a lousy mattress. What's the scoop?

The old mattresses were very firm. We never had an issue with them in 5 cruises but some people certainly did/do - but then we much prefer a firm mattress.

They are being replaced by pillow top mattresses. We had the new mattresses on the Sapphire (VS suite) and Coral (mini-suite) Princesses this summer and found them extremely comfy.

I can't speak on the Coral's situation but we were on the Star in March and they were changing out mattresses, then we were on her again in september and they must of changed out 1,000 mattresses in San Diego including our.

It is an ongoing process.

I find the beds to be comfortable, not GREAT, but I sleep fine. They use to be worse. this is just my opionion.

Now it is a personal opinion on how you like your mattress, kind of like the food offerrings.

Mattresses on Princess are a problem for me. I need a softer mattress and Princess mattresses have been horrible for me. If you like a very firm mattress you will like the mattress on Princess probably. Some complain that they are hard and lumpy. There are mixed reports on the mattress change story. I ask about mattresses all the time and many people say there is no difference. Others say they had a new mattress. Others report that they have a new padded topper (not an egg crate). At this point, your mileage may vary. Princess advertises that mini-suites and suites have premium bedding. Personally, I think they should make sure everyone gets a decent night's sleep, but only the more expensive cabins are supposed to have better bedding. I've booked a mini on the Sapphire and will be going in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing what the bed is like, but I am also taking my own foam topper just to be safe. I don't want to be miserable for 14 nights. They will put a topper on the bed if you request it, but they are often old and thin, so they make little difference. To answer your question: There's no way of knowing what your mattress experience will be on Princess.

To the person who is going on the Ocean, they don't normally change the mattresses at drydock. Mattresses are replaced as needed.

I am thinking about trying a Princess cruise, but I am very concerned about what I read about the uncomfortable mattresses that cruisers describe on Princess. When I sailed NCL, I was miserable, because the mattress on the Sun was lumpy and uncomfortable. I tried Carnival and their beds were awesome! I don't want an egg crate to compensate for a lousy mattress. What's the scoop?

If you prefer sleeping on a less-than-firm mattress, I'd request a pad just in case. I've needed them on Diamond and Ruby. Didn't know any better when we sailed on Regal Princess, Ha!

I can't speak on the Coral's situation but we were on the Star in March and they were changing out mattresses, then we were on her again in september and they must of changed out 1,000 mattresses in San Diego including our.

It is an ongoing process.

I find the beds to be comfortable, not GREAT, but I sleep fine. They use to be worse. this is just my opionion.

Now it is a personal opinion on how you like your mattress, kind of like the food offerrings.

Vickie, We're booked on Star Nov 20th and glad to hear the mattresses are getting upgraded, hope we get a new one but have ordered a pad anyway:)

Loved following your blog, thanks so very much. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

Like food, mattress comfort is subjective. That's why mattress stores have so many options.

Some people prefer a soft mattress, I find them very uncomfortable and tend to develop sciatica very quickly on them. I've never had a problem with the mattresses on Princess but have on HAL and Celebrity where the mattresses are softer with less support.

Had a pillowtop mattress on the Star last March which was great. Firm support with a soft layer for comfort, just like at home. :)

Do you know if the Crown Princess has had their mattresses replaced?

We were on the Crown earlier this month. The mattress in our Emerald mini suite was an old lumpy one with a padded topper. My wife found it uncomfortable but I thought it was OK.

I find the mattresses on Princess extremely hard. They do not bother my husband. I am going on a 28 day cruise on the Star in the spring. I will take my own topper for the mattress.

We just spent 15 days on the Star and they now have nice thick mattresses. No need for topper

just sailed on the Sspphire and the matrress was rock hard...I had trouble getting to sleep. Pillows were feather and I kept feeling like I was getting poked.

I hope that I can request a change of pillows since I am allergic to feathers & down.:eek: Does anybody know if pillows change by room type? What about the duvets? I'm in a mini on the Star, leaving 11/20/12.

I hope that I can request a change of pillows since I am allergic to feathers & down.:eek: Does anybody know if pillows change by room type? What about the duvets? I'm in a mini on the Star, leaving 11/20/12.

We did not have feathers. Duvets are nice, but too warm. Ask for top sheet under duvet, which has it's own blanket cover.

We did not have feathers. Duvets are nice, but too warm. Ask for top sheet under duvet, which has it's own blanket cover.

Pia,

Thanks for the heads-up on the duvet. I sleep warm. On my last cruise, I slept on top of the duvet, with just the sheet over me.

Also, really enjoyed your Live from the Star r/t to Hawaii. That is the cruise I am going on. Can't wait for all those sea days.

I always take a topper and leave it for the cabin steward or for him to give to one of his friends/coworkers. They always seems to be very happy...:confused: I hope they are.

Anyway to me the mattresses are HORRID !! Other hand, DH sleeps like a rock and has no complaint. :rolleyes:

I have one in the closet, wrapped and ready for our Nov cruise on the Grand. :)

We sailed 17 days in the Coral. We had an inside room and IOHOs the bed was beautiful. It was firm and we like that. We did not ask for a topper. We did ask for firmer pillows and out steward produced some that were also excellent.

We slept just fine.....

Oh dear, we booked a mini on our upcoming W Caribbean cruise on the Crown with the expectation that mini's would have toppers :eek:... Was hoping to avoid bringing our own memory foam. Only a 7-day so maybe we'll chance it and hope for the best.

I always do this--who can sleep with the heavy, hot duvet without a top sheet? Too hot with duvet on, too cold with it off. A sheet and blanket works for me.