Noro virus onboard Constellation

Mousehound

My husband, son and I are currently on Constellation and a much looked forward to cruise has proved a nightmare, only redeemed by the fact we booked an accessible Sky Suite (our son is profoundly disabled) and we have been wonderfully cared for by our butler (Armando) and our stateroom attendant (Michelle) plus her assistant (Rakesh) whose jobs in the current crisis cannot be pleasant. Our first night was dreadfully disappointing with awful service and food at dinner that came nowhere near to our expectations. We sorted out a new table for the folowing evening and things looked up - we had an excellent dinner with great service - so the initial problems were just a hiccup - so we thought. However we started to notice that many of the staff lacked the joie de vivre we've seen on other cruises (notably Royal Caribbean). A long chat with a member of staff elicited some concerns about overwork and reduced staffing levels. I also felt there were some worries about the fact that tips might be down because there are so many British on board.

Despite thinking that perhaps things were improving, they nose dived again when the disabled hoist for the jacuzzi broke when my son was using it - fortunately over the water and not the tiles. My son narrowly missed a very serious accident - I won't go into the details of what has occurred since as we are still trying to resolve things. However a meeting with health and safety had to be postponed due to my husband developing gastro enteritis on Day 4 and I succombed on Day 5 (Monday).

Yesterday (Tuesday Day 6) when we thought we were on the mend, our son (who is confined to a wheelchair) developed the same dreadful symptoms and we are praying his are short lived as he doesn't understand why we can't leave our stateroom. He has little to do as he was ill all over his colouring books which keep him busy - but lovely Michelle (our stateroom attendant) has said she'll try and get him some more at our next port. Bless her!

We have been so careful about hygiene because my husband has a compromised immune system - we use the Purell, we have anti bac hand wash in our room, we use anti viral foam before eating and I wiped down key areas in our cabin with Dettol wipes on boarding. We also try to use knuckles not fingers to press lift buttons and we've still fallen ill. Strangely Constellation had noro virus at exactly the same time last year. There is a real lack of material to help passengers as we're not allowed any toilet cleaning fluids for example but I have acquired rubber gloves, plastic bags and paper towels. The library is closed, we've had our kettle removed along with all magazines, the stateroom guide and room service menu and the ice bucket. Not sure what's happening outside on the ship but the captain has made at least one annoucement about the situation.

The medical centre has run out of anti sickness pills and they gave our son a phenergan shot last night to help minimise sickness - this certainly knocked him out. We're just praying that things get better as all we want to do now is go home. I'm sure we'll laugh about it one day but we feel more like crying for now. :(

Twogaterz; that is an awful tale and I can only hope things improve for you all in the next few days.

You seem to have taken as many precautions as humanly possible, could I ask, do you use the buffet for many meals, as that area always concerns me in many ways for the potential to spread gastro type illnesses when I am at sea?

Twogaterz; that is an awful tale and I can only hope things improve for you all in the next few days.

You seem to have taken as many precautions as humanly possible, could I ask, do you use the buffet for many meals, as that area always concerns me in many ways for the potential to spread gastro type illnesses when I am at sea?

We had to use the buffet for breakfast as MDR was closed by 8.30 or 9.00 and room service isn't quite the same as it's invariably cold/soggy. We'd had lunch there on day 1 and after my husband fell ill I didn't feel able to join the MDR table at dinner so my son & I ate dinner there. We'd also eaten in AquaSpa and Bistro on 5 as well as a fabulous afternoon tea in Ocean Liners. Much of the food in the buffet was served apart from some condiments and a few food items. So where we caught it remains a mystery.

Dear Twogaterz,

My heart goes out to you...we are on this cruise next week...I am a little OCD when it comes to hygiene and am completely paranoid of getting sick...I have an unreasonable aversion to vomiting.

Just reading your post makes me feel like staying home next week.

I know my friends and wife will encourage me. But now I'm preoccupied by Norovirus.

Get well, keep well and try to enjoy the last week of your cruise.

ANDREW (Yateley, Hampshure, UK)

Many people believe it best to say nothing if they have norovirus. They don't want to be confined to their cabin and seem more than willing to place others at risk. If you have it, you know it and probably won't want to leave your cabin anyway! If you do report it the treatment of the symptoms will be free. You are confined to the cabin until you are symptom free for 24 hours. They will arrage for food and will provide Gatorade.. They will also provide you with a free movie from the Pay for View list. Last year those who reported received a portion of their cruise cost based on days confined as a future booking credit that had to be used within a year from issue. That saved me about $200 on a future cruise. Many of those who tried to hide complained that they too should have received the benefits and were quite vocal about it. As one who knows your pain I understand what you are experiencing and how morale of both passengers and crew suffer. Hope those who contact the virus recover quicky.

Many people believe it best to say nothing if they have norovirus. They don't want to be confined to their cabin and seem more than willing to place others at risk. If you have it, you know it and probably won't want to leave your cabin anyway! If you do report it the treatment of the symptoms will be free. You are confined to the cabin until you are symptom free for 24 hours. They will arrage for food and will provide Gatorade.. They will also provide you with a free movie from the Pay for View list. Last year those who reported received a portion of their cruise cost based on days confined as a future booking credit that had to be used within a year from issue. That saved me about $200 on a future cruise. Many of those who tried to hide complained that they too should have received the benefits and were quite vocal about it. As one who knows your pain I understand what you are experiencing and how morale of both passengers and crew suffer. Hope those who contact the virus recover quicky.

Thanks for the advice as we've certainly used pay per view twice now. Gatorade is not as far as I'm aware available so we gave our son flat coke zero. He was ill yesterday on but fine ever since and has now been 'released'. You are correct though - if you get the bug you really don't want to be out. There is extensive sanitising taking place (right down to individual books in the library) and lots of hand washing announcements. I understand that a P&O ship is also having problems so it must be that time of year.

Thanks for the advice as we've certainly used pay per view twice now. Gatorade is not as far as I'm aware available so we gave our son flat coke zero. He was ill yesterday on but fine ever since and has now been 'released'. You are correct though - if you get the bug you really don't want to be out. There is extensive sanitising taking place (right down to individual books in the library) and lots of hand washing announcements. I understand that a P&O ship is also having problems so it must be that time of year.

The Gatorade came from the Medical Center. Glad your son is better and wish you only the best from this point forward.

Dear Twogaterz,

My heart goes out to you...we are on this cruise next week...I am a little OCD when it comes to hygiene and am completely paranoid of getting sick...I have an unreasonable aversion to vomiting.

I know my friends and wife will encourage me. But now I'm preoccupied by Norovirus.

Try not to worry - they are working v hard to deal with it but I would suggest you bring precautionary items as talismen (!) (hand wash, anti bac kitchen wipes & anti viral foam etc).

Also as far as I am aware its still only a small proportion when you consider there are 2000 people on board (when I last enquired). We've been horribly unlucky Our stateroom attendant was so tired from the extra work this all creates she was using her time off to sleep. The stateroom staff have been fantastic.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Folks,

You may not be aware that 3 out of our party of 4 suffered from the sickness and diarrhea “bug” whilst on-board Constellation last week (6th Nov to 18th Nov).

When I reported this situation to sickbay, I was confined to quarters (medical isolation), for a minimum of 24 hours following last episode of sickness/diarrhea. The letter I received openly advised that “compensation” would be offered. However, on the day of disembarkation we received a letter advising that a discount against a future cruise would be the full extent of the “compensation”.

A legal definition of Compensation is “Payment for injury, loss, or otherwise depriving a person of something he or she is entitled to. E.g. damages.”; whereas a legal definition of Discount is “a reduction from a usual or list price”.

I was just wondering what experience anyone on the forum has of receiving genuine compensation from Celebrity?

Regards

ANDREW

Dear Twogaterz,

Andrew - me too. I have a huge phobia and do get overtaken by the thoughts. I try not to but can't help it. It would not stop me cruising!

Andrew, how much of a discount were you offered?

Although I feel for you that you were ill it sounds as if you have recovered just fine, and thank the lord that you have. Good friends of mine on this cruise had to medevac shortly after leaving port in Portugal, they are still in Portugal, in a hospital, wishing only that she recovers, I'm certain they are not wondering what the legal definition of compensation is. Accept what has been offered to you and don't waste any more of your energy on it, life is to precious to stress over such a trivial things.

I feel so bad for everyone who has gotten sick. In May and June of 2010, the Constellation was infected with Noro throughout several of its Baltic cruises, a situation that seemed to spiral out of control on our sailing. In spite of our best efforts at avoiding infection, my husband became ill, and although we notified the infirmary and made several attempts via phone to receive care, as directed in the daily, he was not able to obtain medical assistance, he was not quarantined (he isolated himself), and the ship never even entered his illness into its records. Numerous other passengers reported similar experiences, and I'm sure the total numbers of people who became ill were much higher than Celebrity recorded.

I am sad to hear that the Constellation continues to have recurring Noro issues that persist throughout several sailings, exhaust the crew, and overcome the ability of the staff to control it. What could have been an amazing cruise for us was fraught with anxiety, and marred by interrupting our much anticipated private tours of St. Petersburg. This was not the first "Noro" cruise we had been on, but it certainly was the worst in terms of escalating infection, and I don't think it was handled well.

Hi,

Personally, I don't ever think it goes away!. Its hard to imagine a cruise liner full of passengers who will all wash their hands multiple times a day.

We are booked on Constellation for her next cruise (30/11/12) and whilst I am fastideous about hand washing (and anything else which prevents the spread of Noro) I have to say I am becoming increasingly worried about the present situation onboard.

I have cruised many, many times and whilst I consider myself 'lucky' having never caught this germ, I have to say I have seen some really disgusting habits displayed by some passengers.

Unless food is being served by the servers in the buffet, I have decided to bypass this dining option- it may help, it may not!!

We are boarding the Constellation on December 20th. Based on past experiences, could the virus still spread after 30 days? I'm thinking that the peak time would have passed.

Detroitreds...we'll be with you on this sailing and I am becoming concerned. Do think that perhaps the advice of the next poster to not eat in the buffet is a wise suggestion.

Detroitreds...we'll be with you on this sailing and I am becoming concerned. Do think that perhaps the advice of the next poster to not eat in the buffet is a wise suggestion.

If you see someone with plastic, disposable tongs and utensils at the buffet, come and say Hi as I'm thinking of bringing my own :).

If you see someone with plastic, disposable tongs and utensils at the buffet, come and say Hi as I'm thinking of bringing my own :).

what a brilliant idea and put alongside the disposable plastic gloves I am definitely taking, hopefully I can kiss goodbye to Noro!!! (Just joking - kissing may not be such a good idea!)

There was rumored to be a minor Noro outbreak on Deck three. I was behind a passenger at the front desk asking when his significant other would be released from quarantine. I took a few more steps back.:D

They were very good with the hand sanitizer. We also brought along a medical grade hand wipe ..brand name of PAWS for use during shore excursions and when on deck.

There was rumored to be a minor Noro outbreak on Deck three. I was behind a passenger at the front desk asking when his significant other would be released from quarantine. I took a few more steps back.:D

They were very good with the hand sanitizer. We also brought along a medical grade hand wipe ..brand name of PAWS for use during shore excursions and when on deck.

OMG I'm on Deck 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I'm on Deck 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yoj...check the title of the post about Deck 3. It says April 7th cruise was o.k. So I'm not sure that you should be concerned.

And where are you going on your cruise? Our four day in December is to Key West and Cozumel.

The question was asked - could the virus still spread after 30 days? People can spread this virus for up to two weeks after first coming down with it. I think it can live on surfaces about as long. But for practical purposes, by 30 days it should have peaked and mainly run its course. As cases mount, the cleanings in-between cruises also become more and more intense. That's all to the plus side. On the other side - it's that time of year, so there are never any guarantees. Also on the plus side - as I mentioned on an earlier post - even if 20% of the passengers get sick, that means that 80% of the passengers stay healthy. I know the anxiety and paranoia can get to you (it has me on these types of ships) but maybe if you keep the odds in mind it will help. If you are part of the 80% (or 90% or 70%) then all that worrying will have been for naught. If you are in the unlucky percent, then you suffer even more by worrying beforehand. Now, after all that preaching if I can just follow my own advice:D

Yoj...check the title of the post about Deck 3. It says April 7th cruise was o.k. So I'm not sure that you should be concerned.

And where are you going on your cruise? Our four day in December is to Key West and Cozumel.

Southampton- Miami via the Canaries. I have got more than my fingers crossed I can tell you! I too, hope my concerns will be in vane

More important than using the hand sanitizers is washing your hands after using the washroom. I have been in public washrooms on ships many times and seen women use the restroom and then walk out the door without washing their hands. That is what makes everyone else sick because they are touching everything around the ship. Disgusting.

Try sitting while waiting to board a ship (Equinox) because of a norovirus breakout and seeing a woman walk out of the ladies washroom without washing her hands despite the large notice on the mirror about the transmittal of various viruses!!:eek: I really wanted to trip her as she went by me as we had already been there waiting for four hours!!

Snow bunny

Archived