Northern Europe 2013 - book cheap MSC cruise now, or wait for X /HAL price drops?

CarolinaMamma

We are looking at the Connie cruise out of Amsterdam that goes to St. Petersburg. I also saw some MSC cruises that are super cheap. I'm wondering if I would hate MSC after cruising Celebrity, and how likely it is that X will discount fares.

I know you can never tell what will happen with pricing, but I am looking for history here. There are some itineraries, like Alaska, that never seem to have price drops. Is Northern Europe In July one of these? Have there been discounts during wave season or last minute price drops in recent years?

Also, I know MSC is the budget cruise line of Europe and you get what you pay for, but how bad is it? Would it be like Carnival? Would there be smoke everywhere? Things we like about X are the uncrowded, quieter ships, the good food and service, the fact that it is not child-centered, and the polite and interesting fellow pax. We are not major party animals. No point in paying for a "cheap" cruise if it is going to be hell.

There are also cheap Costa cruises, but I just can't do that. My kids would be worried about theCompetency of the captain and the ship sinking the whole time.

We have not cruised HAL, but I am guessing we would like it.

We are a family of 5, which makes it hard for us to book at the last minute, as we need either a family veranda (which never seem to go on sale during school vacation months) or two rooms right next to each other. We are Americans, but living in Europe, so airfare to Amsterdam should be reasonable.

Any advice and pricing history would be appreciated. Thanks!

we are thinking of doing this cruise in 2014- so would also like pricing history. What did they start out at- are much have they gone up since listing. When will the 2014 dates and prices be available

thanks Randy

MSC is really cheap in - as far as I know - The Netherlands and Belgium. They have frequently a "Pay full for 1 person and only $1 for the 2nd person-offer" :eek:

Sometimes they offer "children for free" :eek:

And although I have no personal experience with MSC, it is an Italian company, so will probably attract more Italian passengers than X or HAL. And Italian do smoke a lot!! :eek:

X is running a Europe promotion right now to save $1000 off your cabin if you book airfare, I don't know if that would help you.

I have never cruised MSC but what I have read turns me off. Lots of announcements in multiple languages, and smoke. I cruise for relaxation, so noise and odour don't appeal to me.

This itinerary is on my list of "hope to do" but we decided on an Adriatic for 2013. That being said, I have also had my eye on the Baltic itineraries but they are much pricier than the Med. I think I have seen better prices on the Baltics sails 1) when they first came out in April, 2) there was a sale around the 4th of July when you could book a vernadah for an OV price. Now the deal is $1000 off with booked airfare BUT I assume that is only from the US.

So it seems to me occaisionaly better deals can be found so you could book a MSC cruise and hope an X deal showed up. That is assuming you decide you can "live with" MSC. Do they give you enough time in port? And I've heard them nick-named Med. Smoking Cruise - so how much will the smoke bother you?! OR maybe wait and hope better prices for 2014 on Celebrity but there were also some recent posts about X hoping to increase their pricing model. Tough call, isn't it? Hope it all works out for you!

Our Baltic cruise Jun/13 has increased 3 times since we booked when itineraries rolled out Mar/12 for eg 1A $3687 now $4137 and a 2B $3536 is now $3986 pp and we are still 8 months out. I think the pricing is higher for the Baltics because of the short season - the Eclipse only does this itinerary 5 times during the summer and the Connie 7 times. My preference is to book early. You can always re-fare or cxl before final payment. (if you are in Canada or the US)

The prices are likely to stay high and get higher.

You might be lucky and get a last minute deal (during the Tuesday sale/Exciting deals) on unsold cabins, but, its a gamble since you need cabins next to each others.

As you are living in Europe you can check the pricing in different markets. (UK, Germany, Spain....)

Our Baltic cruise Jun/13 has increased 3 times since we booked when itineraries rolled out Mar/12 for eg 1A $3687 now $4137 and a 2B $3536 is now $3986 pp and we are still 8 months out. I think the pricing is higher for the Baltics because of the short season - the Eclipse only does this itinerary 5 times during the summer and the Connie 7 times. My preference is to book early. You can always re-fare or cxl before final payment. (if you are in Canada or the US)

That was our experience in the Baltic as well in 2011. By the time we sailed, cabins were going for a thousand more than what we paid at booking. And the price had already gone up twice by the time we booked.

You're looking at a very limited number of sailings in a short season. And you're talking about the height of the season. Prices are only going to go one way--up.

So, you need to look at what sort of quality of life you want on board. Can you handle lots of smoke? Endless announcements from the PA? Check the roll call for the MSC cruise you're considering. Will you be able to book private shore excursions with other folks from the roll call? I'd also check the reviews of the ships.

You don't say what European country you are in, so booking advice by nature can only be generalised.

However, I can tell you two things. Firstly, I've booked two X cruises in the last 12 months and seen big UK price drops before we sailed. In the UK, we get the price drop, which is something you don't get with many other lines. Secondly, if you are talking about school holiday times, you can pretty much abandon all hope of the price going down.

Looking up MSC reviews is the best way to go. But beware of one thing - folks who travel ultra budget often have lower expectations so rank lines more generously than you might expect. Instead, I'd recommend buying a copy of the Berlitz Complete Guide to Cruising and Ships which has every line, every ship in it and seems pretty objective to my eye.

I've never sailed MSC, but have been moored up beside them several times. Sometimes it looks like throwing out time outside a soccer ground - lots and lots of bodies on board, so I suspect the passenger/space ratio is nothing like as good as on board Celebrity.

I have friends who have sailed on MSC and said never again! They usually do Celebrity, Holland, Norwiegan, RCL and are very casual people. They've also sailed Costa and said that was better than MSC and the probably wouldn't book Costa again, but it would depend on itinerary, price etc. But MSC is a no-go for them.

In your case, with a family of five, you can't wait until after final payment (well... maybe you could, if you don't need the rooms to be immediately adjacent, and since you are already in Europe.). Are you happy with any two cabins, or do you want specific categories or location? Also, if you didn't get to go on the cruise, would you be upset? Would it ruin your summer? If so, don't wait - book it.

In our case, we are eyeing either the Constellation Baltic cruise from Amsterdam or the Ryndam Baltic Cruise from Dover. We will NOT book until after final payment, but we are only a couple. This year, the Norway cruise we took on Ryndam dropped by over 40% after final payment, but we are not picky about cabin - just give us one - any one.

This itinerary is on my list of "hope to do" but we decided on an Adriatic for 2013. That being said, I have also had my eye on the Baltic itineraries but they are much pricier than the Med. I think I have seen better prices on the Baltics sails 1) when they first came out in April, 2) there was a sale around the 4th of July when you could book a vernadah for an OV price. Now the deal is $1000 off with booked airfare BUT I assume that is only from the US.

So it seems to me occaisionaly better deals can be found so you could book a MSC cruise and hope an X deal showed up. That is assuming you decide you can "live with" MSC. Do they give you enough time in port? And I've heard them nick-named Med. Smoking Cruise - so how much will the smoke bother you?! OR maybe wait and hope better prices for 2014 on Celebrity but there were also some recent posts about X hoping to increase their pricing model. Tough call, isn't it? Hope it all works out for you!

I am not seeing where the 1000 deal is for booking airfare. I only see this offer for Asia and New Zealand cruises. If you could point me in the direction of this sale I would greatly appreciate it!

This year colleagues of mine booked HAL's Eurodam around final payment and QTY Veranda's were $1,499.00 per person. This is a 10 night cruise and their first on HAL. They received a Spa category, loved it, and said they will never go on any other line (previously cruised RCCL which they hated).

I still can't believe the price, but would prefer the longer itinerary on one of HAL's other ships. The smaller ships are more expensive of course.

In your case, with a family of five, you can't wait until after final payment (well... maybe you could, if you don't need the rooms to be immediately adjacent, and since you are already in Europe.). Are you happy with any two cabins, or do you want specific categories or location? Also, if you didn't get to go on the cruise, would you be upset? Would it ruin your summer? If so, don't wait - book it.

In our case, we are eyeing either the Constellation Baltic cruise from Amsterdam or the Ryndam Baltic Cruise from Dover. We will NOT book until after final payment, but we are only a couple. This year, the Norway cruise we took on Ryndam dropped by over 40% after final payment, but we are not picky about cabin - just give us one - any one.

How did you like Ryndam. We have been on sister ships Veendam and Maasdam.

The problem with late bookings is the airfare.

Thanks for all the advice. After reading some reviews of MSC, I think it is not for us.

When do the 2014 itineraries come out? Maybe we should book for 2014 right when they come out, unless a deal comes out before then. And if something miraculous happens this summer and there are suitable cabins available, we could grab it. I'm not getting my hopes up, though.

We are in Budapest, Hungary until August, 2014. Pricing on everything here is inconsistent and all over the map and Hungary is not on the Euro yet. Exchange rates are constantly fluctuating.

I don't know why you have to book airfare to get the $1,000 off on this latest deal, because the airfare does not have to be booked through X. The double tier credits are appealing, though, especially on a 12-night cruise.

I got a postcard in the mail about this deal but you can also find it on the website but you have to look under "Captain's Club" specials NOT in the regular specials section. But I think starting next week it will be open for non CC members. I figure they are giving this discount to those willing to book their airfare at this point as if you book airfare you are not likely to cancel. It doesn't seem quite fair to those that use FF miles but Azamara has had promos like this for several years now.

Carolinamama - did you check out the RCCL sail? - I would think that could be a good ship for your kids, a good price and a much better product than MSC.

Thanks for all the advice. After reading some reviews of MSC, I think it is not for us.

When do the 2014 itineraries come out? Maybe we should book for 2014 right when they come out, unless a deal comes out before then. And if something miraculous happens this summer and there are suitable cabins available, we could grab it. I'm not getting my hopes up, though.

We are in Budapest, Hungary until August, 2014. Pricing on everything here is inconsistent and all over the map and Hungary is not on the Euro yet. Exchange rates are constantly fluctuating.

I don't know why you have to book airfare to get the $1,000 off on this latest deal, because the airfare does not have to be booked through X. The double tier credits are appealing, though, especially on a 12-night cruise.

The 2012 itins should be out around mid. March 2013.

We sailed MSC Poesia in the Caribbean and absolutely loved the ship and everything about it. Very modern, cleaner than any ship I have ever been on. We could not find a bit of rust on our balcony. The food is Italian and much lighter than heavy european meals but very good. The best pizza we have ever had and great salads and gelato. We have been on Celebrity and Princess many, many times, Royal, Carnival, Norwegian and Cunarda few times and would go back to MSC if we found something we liked itinerary wise. The European flare is really neat and we even had Italian lessons every day. In the Caribbean we had a lot of Australians and lots and lots of French Canadians. Unfortunately the French Canadians were the pushiest of all and made it almost impossible to get off the shipon disembarkation morning. Sure this wouldn't be the case in Europe.

Before we sailed I reviewed all the Cruse Critic boards on MSC and if you look carefully, it is the same few people that bad mouth the entire cruise line over and over.

Look at it as a true European experience and I am sure that the cruise would not dissapoint anyone with an open mind. If you are a "snob" then it would not be for your.:)

Thanks for the suggestion to check Royal. They have some very good prices in Europe cruises, plus shorter itineraries than Celebrity, which also cuts the price. I think that for the price difference between Royal and X, I can live with slightly inferior food. Service on both lines is good.

We sailed MSC Poesia in the Caribbean and absolutely loved the ship and everything about it. Very modern, cleaner than any ship I have ever been on. We could not find a bit of rust on our balcony. The food is Italian and much lighter than heavy european meals but very good. The best pizza we have ever had and great salads and gelato. We have been on Celebrity and Princess many, many times, Royal, Carnival, Norwegian and Cunarda few times and would go back to MSC if we found something we liked itinerary wise. The European flare is really neat and we even had Italian lessons every day. In the Caribbean we had a lot of Australians and lots and lots of French Canadians. Unfortunately the French Canadians were the pushiest of all and made it almost impossible to get off the shipon disembarkation morning. Sure this wouldn't be the case in Europe.

Before we sailed I reviewed all the Cruse Critic boards on MSC and if you look carefully, it is the same few people that bad mouth the entire cruise line over and over.

Look at it as a true European experience and I am sure that the cruise would not dissapoint anyone with an open mind. If you are a "snob" then it would not be for your.:)

Thank you for giving another perspective on MSC. I appreciate a diverse mix of passengers, and think it's great when my kids get to make friends from other countries. (If I didn't, then we wouldn't be doing this expat assignment.) that part sounds exciting, and we are game to try different food as well, as long as it is not overly processed.

What concerns me most about MSC is the smoking and the sqace per passenger. I am an introvert and do not like to feel crowded. Also can't stand going out on deck for fresh air only to be surrounded by a cloud of smoke.

we were on the msc lirica many years ago. the itinerary was great ...but the ship had issues .Be prepared for very small cabins .Food is served at specific times and limited at that so make sure you follow those schedules .there is nothing available at other times ...except perhaps a few items in room service

Getting pizza at 5 pm was crazy

our dining room service was dreadful ...our waiter was in lala land ...never got an order straight .I found if you were Italian you got preferential treatment. With special dishes made etc ...others like me ....non italian were ignored while watching the fuss made over Italians ...at the next table ....After a week I was asked if we wanted to taste the head waiters pasta .....duh ....it was really good Every night he prepared something nes

W .....so brush up on your Italian

i havenever returned to Msc so I do not know if things have improved

but my girlfriends went on Opera and said it was the best

i loved Costa ..of course i understand hesitations after Concordia mess

remember chances are you will get what you paid for .....so if you did not pay much ...do not expect gourmet food ?If you are ok with that ...go on Msc

You can make it a fun cruise nevertheless

Michele

Thanks for the suggestion to check Royal. They have some very good prices in Europe cruises, plus shorter itineraries than Celebrity, which also cuts the price. I think that for the price difference between Royal and X, I can live with slightly inferior food. Service on both lines is good.

I sail both lines. I think the buffet food on Royal is superior to that on Celebrity. Breakfast pastries are much better on Royal. There is a new fleet-wide menu coming out to all ships soon and Royal will be offering a similar nightly menu that Celebrity offers, i.e. escargots, Grand Marnier souffle.

We found the food to be quite good on Grandeur in October, 2012. I thought it was better than Century in April.

The service was wonderful, but it always is on both lines.

Archived