Missing our cruise ship in Malaga, Spain because of Sandy

jandiart

We are missing Adventure of The Seas today out of Malaga Spain because of Hurricane Sandy. We could not get an alternative flight out to Spain in time. We were supposed to fly on Wednesday giving us a few days in Spain but our flight was cancelled. We have been waiting for this trip for a long time and are unhappy that we could not go. I used a next cruise certificate for this cruise so I hope I don't lose the on board credit associated with it. Also, I cashed in 10,000 points for another $100.00 on board credit. I assume insurance will pay for the rest except for insurance charge.

Our home still has no power and heat. This is since Monday. We have been trying to stay warm. Our bags are packed but nowhere to go.

We are Diamond members and hope that we can get a ship out of Bayonne instead soon. Unfortunately we need an accessible cabin. Royal Caribbean please help us. There doesn't seem to be any cabins that suit our need on tomorrow's cruise. We'd prefer to take one in December now.

If you had insurance on your cruise you need to file a claim with the insurance company you purchased from ASAP. Then contact Royal Caribbean directly to find out what they can do for you.

Definitely. I'm sure they already have, but they need to contact the cruise line first to obtain the amount they will be submitting to the insurance company. :)

Definitely. I'm sure they already have, but they need to contact the cruise line first to obtain the amount they will be submitting to the insurance company. :)

Could they not use their receipts from their cruise booking and airline?

I use a TA when I book a cruise, maybe the OP did the same and their TA can assist them.

Could they not use their receipts from their cruise booking and airline?

I use a TA when I book a cruise, maybe the OP did the same and their TA can assist them.

TA should help. The cruise line will refund taxes and fees and give them a dollar amount. Certainly, they could figure it out on their own.....and they will have to dig out the credit card receipts and confirmations and everything anyway. Hard to do until the power comes back.

What a shame. How disappointing to miss a big trip like that. :(

That's really sad.

I don't suppose there's any chance of you getting an alternative flight that would let you meet up with the ship at one of its ports of call before it begins the Atlantic crossing?

Whatever, I hope things work out for you.

TA should help. The cruise line will refund taxes and fees and give them a dollar amount. Certainly, they could figure it out on their own.....and they will have to dig out the credit card receipts and confirmations and everything anyway. Hard to do until the power comes back.

What a shame. How disappointing to miss a big trip like that. :(

Very true about having to wait for the power to come back on. Hopefully that will be soon.

That's really sad.

I don't suppose there's any chance of you getting an alternative flight that would let you meet up with the ship at one of its ports of call before it begins the Atlantic crossing?

Whatever, I hope things work out for you.

The first flights we could get anywhere in the Baltimore, Washington D.C., New York,New Jersey and Boston area was on November 8. Even our insurance company could. Not get us seats. We are part of a group of 45 that missed the cruise.

We are missing Adventure of The Seas today out of Malaga Spain because of Hurricane Sandy. We could not get an alternative flight out to Spain in time. We were supposed to fly on Wednesday giving us a few days in Spain but our flight was cancelled. We have been waiting for this trip for a long time and are unhappy that we could not go. I used a next cruise certificate for this cruise so I hope I don't lose the on board credit associated with it. Also, I cashed in 10,000 points for another $100.00 on board credit. I assume insurance will pay for the rest except for insurance charge.

Our home still has no power and heat. This is since Monday. We have been trying to stay warm. Our bags are packed but nowhere to go.

We are Diamond members and hope that we can get a ship out of Bayonne instead soon. Unfortunately we need an accessible cabin. Royal Caribbean please help us. There doesn't seem to be any cabins that suit our need on tomorrow's cruise. We'd prefer to take one in December now.

As a person who loves to cruise I can understand your disappointment. With all that has happened to you, you deserve some time to relax. If possible see if you can join our Dec 3, 2012 10 night cruise on Explorer. we have a great group of people and I am certain we will make sure you enjoy yourselves. Nonetheless, I pray for you and all who are suffering as a result of Sandy.

Mike

as I am sure you are well aware, accessible cabins often sell out a year or more in advance. that is the reason you will be unable to get any immediate joy. if you did not need one, I am sure Royal could have gotten you on board somebody somewhere

The first flights we could get anywhere in the Baltimore, Washington D.C., New York,New Jersey and Boston area was on November 8. Even our insurance company could. Not get us seats. We are part of a group of 45 that missed the cruise.

Wow I'm surprised you couldn't get something out of Boston! We were only closed for a day or so. Friends flew out on Wednesday with no issues. Was it there weren't any open seats on any flights to spain??

I hope that you get to cruise again before too long!

I am sorry that that storm ruined your plans. I hope your insurance make you whole again, at least financially.

Accessible cabins can be hard to come by. Naturally, Royal Caribbean cannot boot another disabled person out of a booked accessible cabin to give it to you. Don't they even have to be careful how they ask questions about disabilities (so maybe it can be hard to sort out who really needs them)? You may have to loosen up some of your criteria to find one. Maybe include other ports in your search. Include short back to back cruises as well as one longer one. Or lengthen your timeframe. Good luck.

We are missing Adventure of The Seas today out of Malaga Spain because of Hurricane Sandy. We could not get an alternative flight out to Spain in time. We were supposed to fly on Wednesday giving us a few days in Spain but our flight was cancelled. We have been waiting for this trip for a long time and are unhappy that we could not go. ...........

We are Diamond members and hope that we can get a ship out of Bayonne instead soon.....

Sorry this happened to you and I can relate because I live in the middle of Hurricane Country and know how it feels to be without power and water for days on end.

Why not stay home, take care of your house when the power comes on and take a December cruise. You get double (triple if you book Jr. Suite and above) rewards points to go to your next level - Diamond Plus.

Sorry this happened to you and I can relate because I live in the middle of Hurricane Country and know how it feels to be without power and water for days on end.

Why not stay home, take care of your house when the power comes on and take a December cruise. You get double (triple if you book Jr. Suite and above) rewards points to go to your next level - Diamond Plus.

Sadly but not surprisingly, the OP said they'd like to go in December, but no accessible cabins are available on the couple sailings from their preferred port. To get an accessible cabin from a specific NE port on such short notice is not easy. If the OP was willing to travel to other states (FL, LA, TX, MD) their odds of finding an accessible cabin would rise a bit.

Sadly but not surprisingly, the OP said they'd like to go in December, but no accessible cabins are available on the couple sailings from their preferred port. To get an accessible cabin from a specific NE port on such short notice is not easy. If the OP was willing to travel to other states (FL, LA, TX, MD) their odds of finding an accessible cabin would rise a bit.

We prefer not to fly after this problem with the airlines. It is much easier for us to take a ship from Bayonne NJ. We only booked the transatlantic cruise to be with friends that were also going. They were grounded as well.

We prefer not to fly after this problem with the airlines. It is much easier for us to take a ship from Bayonne NJ. We only booked the transatlantic cruise to be with friends that were also going. They were grounded as well.

I might feel the same way after a frustrating experience. But holding that feeling may result in a longer wait for a cruise on the Explorer with an accessible cabin available. Your call.

I am sorry that that storm ruined your plans. I hope your insurance make you whole again, at least financially.

Accessible cabins can be hard to come by. Naturally, Royal Caribbean cannot boot another disabled person out of a booked accessible cabin to give it to you. Don't they even have to be careful how they ask questions about disabilities (so maybe it can be hard to sort out who really needs them)? You may have to loosen up some of your criteria to find one. Maybe include other ports in your search. Include short back to back cruises as well as one longer one. Or lengthen your timeframe. Good luck.

Yes, legally they can’t ask you about the nature of your disability or require you to prove that you are disabled.

Archived