Tipping

catr13

You're probably referring to Japan. From the New York Times: Where to Get the World’s Best Service:

This has been studied as well. From 'National Personality and Tipping Customs':

BTW, the site 'Tipping Expert' is a good source for scholarly research on the whole topic.

One wouldn't think a subject as mundane as tipping would be the subject of rigorous empirical analysis. Why not?

With respect to Japan, everyone seems clueless. The it might be "giri" observation demonstrates how enigmatic Japan is for the west. It may just be that the Japanese strive for perfection in everything, including service, as the way to do business. A tip in the traditional sense is insulting.

Still, presentations of gifts humbly accepted is not uncommon - belying the giri explanation.

It just all comes down to doing the right thing in cultural context. I wonder how you model for that?

Is there any info on the % of people who remove there tips/sc ? This topic was discussed in the pool on my last cruise, and there were 3 people removing there's out of about 24 people in the pool.

One guy from Aus said He had 4 in his room and was going to remove all and leave His room cleaner apx 20. Another was several ladies that said they had spent to much on drinks and they were removing there's to lessen the blow of the bill at the end of the cruise.

Thanks for any info!

One wouldn't think a subject as mundane as tipping would be the subject of rigorous empirical analysis. Why not?

With respect to Japan, everyone seems clueless. The it might be "giri" observation demonstrates how enigmatic Japan is for the west. It may just be that the Japanese strive for perfection in everything, including service, as the way to do business. A tip in the traditional sense is insulting.

Still, presentations of gifts humbly accepted is not uncommon - belying the giri explanation.

It just all comes down to doing the right thing in cultural context. I wonder how you model for that?

Actually, the study noted above ('National Values and Tipping Customs') refers to research in this very area:

This study examined the relationships between national values, as measured by Hofstede (1983) and Schwartz (1994), and the customary size of restaurant tips in a sample of 54 nations...

I think you are all missing the point with the question that the OP asked, maybe because I am Australian and booked to take my very first cruise next year on the Oosterdam, I understood.

The OP is not trying to get out of paying tips but wanting to know the socially correct manner in which to behave on an American based (where tipping is the norm) ship that will contain a lot of Australians sailing from an Australian port (where tipping is not the norm). In fact DH and I almost did not book with HAL because the idea of knowing when, where and how much to tip stressed both of us. It was with relief that I found out about the Gratuity Charge – that meant that we did not have to worry about doing the wrong thing.

Since then I have been on Cruise Critic, got lots of good hints and tips and answers to a few questions from the good people on line. The one thing I noticed however is how emotive tipping is to Americans. That got me stressed again – will I be looked down upon by my newly met fellow travellers because I don’t know the correct tipping formalities.

In the end I have gone ‘what the heck’ they are going to have to take this little Aussie chick as she comes, so this is what DH and I will be doing:

• leave the gratuities charge where it is, in fact I have already organised OBC to cover it,

• be friendly and open with all the staff, treat them with typical Aussie egalitarianism, and

• if at the end of our cruise our cabin staff provide good, friendly and efficient service personally give an extra tip in a small white envelope.

What I won’t be doing is running around the ship on the last morning handing out little white envelopes to everyone who I may remember may have given me good service. Though hearing some stories if we eat in the MDR every night with the same staff serving and they are excellent, an extra tip to them on the last night would be appreciated but not expected.

One question though, on a two week trip what is a recommended amount to give your cabin staff – see I am again stressing about the correct thing to do :)

Actually, the study noted above ('National Values and Tipping Customs') refers to research in this very area:

No definitive discourses there so lots of room to muse over.

I suppose there are algorithms to identify cheapskates which might profitably be applied to the whole tipping issue here. I'd like to see it.

As to the correct tipping formalities, just pay the service charge.

This brings us to something my father used to say: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.:D

Smooth sailing...

I think you are all missing the point with the question that the OP asked, maybe because I am Australian and booked to take my very first cruise next year on the Oosterdam, I understood.

The OP is not trying to get out of paying tips but wanting to know the socially correct manner in which to behave on an American based (where tipping is the norm) ship that will contain a lot of Australians sailing from an Australian port (where tipping is not the norm). In fact DH and I almost did not book with HAL because the idea of knowing when, where and how much to tip stressed both of us. It was with relief that I found out about the Gratuity Charge – that meant that we did not have to worry about doing the wrong thing.

Since then I have been on Cruise Critic, got lots of good hints and tips and answers to a few questions from the good people on line. The one thing I noticed however is how emotive tipping is to Americans. That got me stressed again – will I be looked down upon by my newly met fellow travellers because I don’t know the correct tipping formalities.

In the end I have gone ‘what the heck’ they are going to have to take this little Aussie chick as she comes, so this is what DH and I will be doing:

• leave the gratuities charge where it is, in fact I have already organised OBC to cover it,

• be friendly and open with all the staff, treat them with typical Aussie egalitarianism, and

• if at the end of our cruise our cabin staff provide good, friendly and efficient service personally give an extra tip in a small white envelope.

What I won’t be doing is running around the ship on the last morning handing out little white envelopes to everyone who I may remember may have given me good service. Though hearing some stories if we eat in the MDR every night with the same staff serving and they are excellent, an extra tip to them on the last night would be appreciated but not expected.

One question though, on a two week trip what is a recommended amount to give your cabin staff – see I am again stressing about the correct thing to do :)

Sounds like you've got it all figured out. No stressing just enjoy your cruise.:)

this conversation (and MANY others) only goes to reinforce my contention that they should call it what it is... a SERVICE charge.... and not permit it to be removed. If the service you received was that awful, then don't book again with that particular line. I still don't get the folks who spend $3k plus for a week (for 2 counting airfare, hotels and incidentals) and then want to quibble about $168 (2X7X$12) so that the staff make a decent income.

Sales tax isn't optional... hotel "resort fees" aren't....I can't reduce my property tax payments because I don't think my road got plowed as often as it should...

Make the darn thing mandatory.... no exceptions .. and then the cheapskates can either ante up or stay home.

Surely this is exactly what some people are already asking for, to include the grats into the cruise costs so there are no ambiguities. That way everyone has already paid, no-one can opt out and everyone can relax..EXCEPT....here we go again, Americans would start another ball rolling by once again feeling the need to tip everyone (as per they do in USA) therfore making other passengers who don't feel obliged to do the same and it will be back to square one!

The bolding is mine - there is no 'correct' amount IMO. Everyone does this differently depending upon what they think is appropriate. Anything extra is appreciated by the staff. How much is so dependent upon how extraordinary they were and how many little things you needed done:)

In my time here, I've never seen a 'correct' amount given. It is very subjective depending upon your cabin experience:)

Our highest tips went to the stewards on the Prinsendam who were truly exceptional and literally knew what we needed before we could even ask;)

If you've done what I always recommend, ie to leave the daily charge on, then there is no "recommended amount". Zero is then absolutely fine if they have done their job. If they've been exceptional in some way, then you'd need to judge how much you want to give them by how exceptional they have been - and that's impossible for anyone to advise you about as they won't know what you've experienced, and it's impossible for anyone to guess in advance of the crew's actual performance.

Surely this is exactly what some people are already asking for, to include the grats into the cruise costs so there are no ambiguities. That way everyone has already paid, no-one can opt out and everyone can relax..EXCEPT....here we go again, Americans would start another ball rolling by once again feeling the need to tip everyone (as per they do in USA) therfore making other passengers who don't feel obliged to do the same and it will be back to square one!
icon14.gif Hence it is probably a better compromise to leave it as it is.

If you feel that any staff member has done a great job, mention them by name on the passenger survey form you will receive before the end of the cruise. ( Just make sure you spell their name correctly)

If you feel that any staff member has done a great job, mention them by name on the passenger survey form you will receive before the end of the cruise. ( Just make sure you spell their name correctly)

absolutely - that means a lot to the people you mention:)

Archived