Dress Shorts in Dining Room

mitchden

I understand that Carnival allows men to wear "dress" shorts in the dining room for dinner. If this is correct, are there a lot of men wearing shorts? I've cruised on other cruise lines and they didn't allow shorts for dinner. Also, if I wear shorts, can I wear sandals?

I have worn shorts and a collard shirt for every meal in the MDR except for formal nights! I have seen people ware sandals but I have only worn tennis shoes. I think the Carnival brand is catering more to the fun and value, and less stuffy! They have the other brands for stuffy.

I understand that Carnival allows men to wear "dress" shorts in the dining room for dinner. If this is correct, are there a lot of men wearing shorts? I've cruised on other cruise lines and they didn't allow shorts for dinner. Also, if I wear shorts, can I wear sandals?

If you think a man looks good in shorts, go for it. Although allowed, they are not prevalent. It's mostly for the boys.

And always depends where you sail from.

Dress shorts are fine.

Sandals are frowned upon (mostly by some other guests). I have seen them worn in MDR but never seen any staff comment about them. Worst I've seen is "looks". Again, mostly by other diners.

I would discourage wearing them ... but it's your call.

Shorts and sandals are worn "everywhere" in the hot climates where I have lived and no one comments negatively on them or even bats an eyelid. And at all the 5 star hotels, resorts, and restaurants they are the wardrobe of choice for many, many people.

Wear what you like to the dining room though I would personally hesitate to encourage anyone to wear beach or swimwear to dinner. Most adults know the difference. And I guess the men I travel with must be considered "boys" by some. I'll have to tell them...they will be pleased.

Just off Fantasy a few weeks ago - saw quite a few men in shorts in the MDR for dinner on casual nights. Elegant night was pretty casual also - lots of tropical shirts and khakis. DH wore a suit, but he was in the minority. Nice casual works for me - tired of schlepping all that extra stuff. Life in general is getting uber casual - even when we go to nice restaurants like Morton's or Ruths' Chris, in general, the dress is business casual.

I have worn shorts and a collard shirt for every meal in the MDR except for formal nights! I have seen people ware sandals but I have only worn tennis shoes. I think the Carnival brand is catering more to the fun and value, and less stuffy! They have the other brands for stuffy.

you mean putting a pr of pants on is stuffy?

I read on here a LOT about men and women wearing shorts in the MDR, and undershirts etc. Hear about it more on CC than see it on ship ...that's for sure!

I honestly don't make it a point to walk around everywhere in the MDR but I can tell you that as our group of 13 waits to get into the MDR and as we walk in, I have not seen very many grown up men wearing shorts. I have seen some children wearing shorts but equal numbers weraring pants.

I have seen casual "Hawaiian" shirts with casual pants. Can't say about sandals cuz I wouldn't linger long enough on someone's feet to notice.

I was surprised how many people did dress up nightly on our Freedom Cruise this past July. Our group always "dresses up"even on casual nights with the women wearing dresses or nice pants/tops nightly and the guys wearing jackets. Our group (starting when my 4 boys were young....and now all are college age and older) always loves Elegant night and we go all out...one night nice suits and women wear cocktail dresses to gowns and tuxes.

I think many people on CC want the MDR of CCL to be very casual, ie., shorts, t shirts, & sandals but I don't see it that much in real life on the ship.

If it wouldn't bother you to be in the obvious minority....wear shorts.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise!!!

Please understand that I am NOT criticizing anyone...maybe just showing my own ignorance. I think shorts are fine in the MDR, except for cut-offs. But "dress shorts?" I never even knew there was such a thing. What the heck are dress shorts? I might own some and not even realize it! And in my opinion, if you can wear "dress shorts" in the MDR then you should be able to wear "dress sandals" there too. But how the heck does the hostess know if you are wearing dress shorts and not your regular old going-to-McDonald's shorts?

Please understand that I am NOT criticizing anyone...maybe just showing my own ignorance. I think shorts are fine in the MDR, except for cut-offs. But "dress shorts?" I never even knew there was such a thing. What the heck are dress shorts? I might own some and not even realize it! And in my opinion, if you can wear "dress shorts" in the MDR then you should be able to wear "dress sandals" there too. But how the heck does the hostess know if you are wearing dress shorts and not your regular old going-to-McDonald's shorts?

They are like Dockers cut off about the knee. AKA Bermuda Shorts.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

It's rare that I've seen a grown man wear shorts to the MDR. Very rare.

But then, I don't go around the room checking out everybody's attire.

It's in the dress code that dress shorts are allowed on casual nights. So if you're comfortable in shorts...wear them!!

short pants for men belong on the playground, not in the MDR. IMO

I agree. If you want to wear shorts to dinner, maybe you ought to consider an all inclusive resort vacation instead of a cruise.

A cruise is about certain experiences, one of which is people looking decent at dinner. Formal nights are one thing, but even non formal nights require a collared shirt and slacks IMO.

I don't need to be looking at your hairy legs while I'm at dinner.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Follow the rules and all should be fine. The most important thing is to enjoy your cruise and make some great memories! Have fun!

I agree. If you want to wear shorts to dinner, maybe you ought to consider an all inclusive resort vacation instead of a cruise.

A cruise is about certain experiences, one of which is people looking decent at dinner. Formal nights are one thing, but even non formal nights require a collared shirt and slacks IMO.

I don't need to be looking at your hairy legs while I'm at dinner.

Suggest you might want to choose a cruise line that doesn't allow shorts at dinner. Many others don't.

Archived