Has the DSC fee gone up?

towel-animal

Just looked on MyNCL for my upcoming Epic cruise, and was taking a gander at the Pre-pay service charges section. It was my understanding that the DSC was $12 a day, but according to the website, it is requiring $14 a day. Am I missing something? Or was the policy changed?

If it's 14$/day then it went up just in the last month since I booked my Epic cruise...It was close to $12 when I booked, times that by 7 and then times that by 4, wow, our charges are a lot :rolleyes:

I guess an extra $2 a day isn't that much in the scheme of things, but it's a bit annoying, considering the NCL FAQ page still cites the charge as $12.

I guess an extra $2 a day isn't that much in the scheme of things, but it's a bit annoying, considering the NCL FAQ page still cites the charge as $12.

We just came back from our Gem sailing last week and it was still $12 p/p per day. Is this for 2013 sailing or sooner - for your sailing dates?

All things considered, including the rising costs, i.e. specialty dining, Bingo, bar charges, etc. abroad the ships - it's within limits of helping to insure that those hard-working crew members are getting a decent paycheck ... :D

We just came back from our Gem sailing last week and it was still $12 p/p per day. Is this for 2013 sailing or sooner - for your sailing dates?

It's for the March 9th, 2013 7-Day Eastern Caribbean

All things considered, including the rising costs, i.e. specialty dining, Bingo, bar charges, etc. abroad the ships - it's within limits of helping to insure that those hard-working crew members are getting a decent paycheck ... :D

Yeah, I'm not that upset over the $2 difference, just surprised.

Just looked on MyNCL for my upcoming Epic cruise, and was taking a gander at the Pre-pay service charges section. It was my understanding that the DSC was $12 a day, but according to the website, it is requiring $14 a day. Am I missing something? Or was the policy changed?

The last time NCL raised the Daily Service Charge was in 2009. Have not seen any press releases or information saying that it has been upped again. Can someone else check their reservations and see if it is $14. Should be $12 per person, per day.

Does the following text in "Pre-Pay Service Charges" section of MyNCL really say $14 (this is taken from my upcoming Pearl cruise in Feb, I can't see the section for Epic as we booked that through a TA):

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $ 12.00 per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $ 168.00 for all guests, for your entire cruise.

I would guess that you might have just looked at the total and then divided it by wrong number of days:

6 * $14 = $84

7 * $12 = $84

Could it be that?

I sure hope it is not. Take a family of 4 for 9 days is $432 no add $72 more not a killer but it does add up. Less money to spend on shore or on the ship.

I also believe you will see more try to remove it or lower what their DSC is. I know if I booked and they told me it was $12 then raised it I would not be pleased.

Often wonder if some of this type of stuff is a trial balloon. See how many on CC say it is ok or get outraged.

I noticed the increased price many months ago when I booked our upcoming Jewel sailing. I always elect to pre-pay our DSC, and so I had checked it out to see what our total would be.

I just checked it again, and it does show the $14.00 pp/pd. Here's a cut & paste from that section of my Vacation Summary on MyNCL:

"The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $ 14.00 per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $ 420.00 for all guests, for your entire cruise."

I have absolutely no problem with the $2.00 increase, and will still slip extra cash to every bartender, waiter or waitress who serves us anything, as well as our Steward, and of course our Butler and Concierge. Call me crazy, but after working many years in the service industry, I am more than happy to tip generously. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, the DSC is part of the cost of cruising, and I'm delighted that it's not included in the base fare, because that means we're not being taxed on that portion, and that's just fine with me. :D

I noticed the increased price many months ago when I booked our upcoming Jewel sailing. I always elect to pre-pay our DSC, and so I had checked it out to see what our total would be.

I just checked it again, and it does show the $14.00 pp/pd. Here's a cut & paste from that section of my Vacation Summary on MyNCL:

"The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $ 14.00 per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $ 420.00 for all guests, for your entire cruise."

I have absolutely no problem with the $2.00 increase, and will still slip extra cash to every bartender, waiter or waitress who serves us anything, as well as our Steward, and of course our Butler and Concierge. Call me crazy, but after working many years in the service industry, I am more than happy to tip generously. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, the DSC is part of the cost of cruising, and I'm delighted that it's not included in the base fare, because that means we're not being taxed on that portion, and that's just fine with me. :D

You're far from crazy, they deserve every cent they make. I'm just a little confused, I just checked again to prepay and it still says $12...odd. Whatever the DSC, IMHO it's still worth it.

You're far from crazy, they deserve every cent they make. I'm just a little confused, I just checked again to prepay and it still says $12...odd. Whatever the DSC, IMHO it's still worth it.

I agree, they deserve plenty! ;)

Perhaps the increase is only for suites? I dunno :confused:

Agreed, that whatever it is, I'm happy to pay it.

I agree, they deserve plenty! ;)

Perhaps the increase is only for suites? I dunno :confused:

Agreed, that whatever it is, I'm happy to pay it.

They sure do. I'm in the Haven on the 12/31 Gem sailing,so I don't think it has to do with the suites. However it might be sailing beginning 2013.

I also agree with you as far as tipping,I always give extra, these folks work mighty hard for their money.

Larry

I just checked my NCL for my 4 upcoming cruises. All cruises booked in Suites.

2 cruises in 2013 - both are prepaid already and both were $12.00 per day.

2 cruises in 2014 - both are not paid yet and both still show $12.00 per day per person still due.

From my vacation summary on My NCL:

"The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $ 12.00 per person per day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $ 336.00 for all guests, for your entire cruise. "

I am curious if it will still go up for those cruises where the DSC has already been paid.

How many people and how many days is your cruise?

It has to be an error - mathematically it doesn't make sense. $420/7 days equals 60 divided by 12 would be 5 (if you have 5 people) but divided by 14 would be 4.29 and since you can't have .29 of a person, it's got to be an error :)

My sailing is 7 days with 5 people at $420 or $12/pp per day.

That is exactly what mine says when I go to prepay the DSC...that's weird that we seem to be in the minority for the up charge. Wonder why?

Archived