Does anyone travel with just carryons?

Jacqueline

I plan on staying in Europe for a month after arriving in Barcelona and the intra Europe jets are particular about baggage. Not to mention we will be taking trains, etc...

OP be sure to check the airlines' weight restrictions for carry-on bags as well as size. Many are quite restricted & will weigh your bag at check in. You run the risk of having to check it/pay to do so if it's heavy. Restrictions can be as low as 20 lbs. which you can confirm with the carrier(s) you'll be using. Some are also strict about allowing only one carry on, not a carry on + 'personal item' as many U.S. carriers allow.

I've spent 2 weeks traveling around Italy by train with a bag setup similar to the one hondorner pictured, roller bag & shoulder bag that slipped over the roller handle. It was during May so jackets & heavier clothing/shoes weren't necessary. This was after an earlier Italy trip taught me that large/heavy bags and train travel do not mix well!

I personally would never take clothes that are ready for the bin on vacation I would not even wear things like that off my property. If they are ready to retire then they are ready for the dumpster

Indeed different strokes. I personally retire clothes from active use long before they're ready for the dumpster. :rolleyes: Things may be getting pilly. Or the slacks hem is starting to fray. I still consider them perfectly appropriate and servicable for, say, walking around Athens or Bangkok.

I look at something and think, I can get a few more wearings out of this. Instead, I pack it away ready to take on a trip and use those last few wearings. The item goes out on a high note. For that matter, I always fold them and label that we left them behind on purpose in the event someone decides they're worth salvaging.

I'm not saying you have to do things my way. The OP asked whether people traveled light, and, if so, their techniques.

You can choose to think of me as wandering around the world looking like a ragamuffin if it gives you a laugh. I'm sure worse things have been thought of me. :p

I'm not saying you have to do things my way. The OP asked whether people traveled light, and, if so, their techniques.

As I said different strokes for different folks :D

You got to do what works best for you ;)

Lyn

I was also going to bring my worn running shoes to spin with on the ship and then ditch them for the rest of the trip.

Good idea! Will wear Toms or a nice walking flat to tour. I will say that an an active trip, such as the one I took recently which included activities like hiking up mountains and scambling over volcanic rock would have been better suited to worn clothing. Everything was covered on fine dust and torn. Of course i had appropriate wear for evenings out but I was in a third world country doing adventure travel. I also go out a lot on dive boats which entails well worn tees, bathing suits and sweats.

I wouldnt judge ones taking over the hill clothing to wear in appropriate circumstances. Most of us would dress one way for the Paris and another for Peru.

OP be sure to check the airlines' weight restrictions for carry-on bags as well as size. Many are quite restricted & will weigh your bag at check in. You run the risk of having to check it/pay to do so if it's heavy. Restrictions can be as low as 20 lbs. which you can confirm with the carrier(s) you'll be using. Some are also strict about allowing only one carry on, not a carry on + 'personal item' as many U.S. carriers allow.

Actually the restriction on many European carriers is less 7kg about 15 pounds.

I do a lot of carry-on's on business trips to Europe and Middle East. I stay away from LH and Austrian because they weigh the bags at the gate or in security. But I can fit two weeks of clothes in a carry on (allowing for some laundry). That includes two suits!!

Our next 12 day cruise I am seriously thinking about Carry On only..

Convenience is king in our world!! That means no dragging suitcases anywhere! We are "checkers"... one bag each. Our electronics go in our "over the shoulder" bags, with hand wipes.... that's about it. Dress to impress is not for traveling, clean and neat is always appropriate. Traveling to colder climates like Alaska is certainly a challenge, but we've managed. No lost bags to this point, but surprises are the spice of life ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacqueline viewpost.gif

I wouldnt judge ones taking over the hill clothing to wear in appropriate circumstances. Most of us would dress one way for the Paris and another for Peru.

That is true

Last edited by LHT28; Yesterday at 06:59 PM.

Oh....I see the issue. No, I can assure you, we're not 'those people' who wear ratty clothes to the MDL. In fact, the last cruise we took (we don't cruise often), I had fun buying lots of new summery clothes to take along and wear on board. :cool:

• 1 month later...

we did a 1 year around the world trip with carry-on only, including cruises on Crystal and Princess. Yes it can be done.

My husband carried a single dark suit and 2 white dress shirts, cleaned often (and replaced once by a tailor in Thailand). I found vintage shops in our cruise departure cities and picked up "formal" dresses to wear (and leave) on board; this added cost of about $200 per cruise which for me was a bargain versus lugging lots of bags and paying luggage fees. It was also fun to discover what one can find in vintage in various spots around the world (Copenhagen, Rome, Florence and Palm Springs, as it turned out!)

As others suggested my "saviour" was carrying 3-4 very light weight short dresses in silk knit that could cross from day to evening and casual to "cocktail" with a single pair of neutral dress shoes that could work with any of them. A willingness to compromise on an "acceptable" look rather than being in competition for best-dressed is necessary (as is a travel partner willing to see you in the same outfit over and over). We were also aided by an itinerary that did not include snow.

I'm amazed by all of these stories of carry-on-only traveling! Essential liquids in non-TSA quantities guarantee I'll never make it, but it's great to hear about.

For cool/inclement weather you can't beat down garments and windproof fleece, layered under a waterproof shell. It's amazing how light they are for the warmth provided, compared to the old wool blazers and jackets. Agree w/ the post about the helpfulness of silk garments/trench - unless you are going where it may be cold and wet. In that case you need more.

A windproof fleece jacket, fleece or down vest and gloves layered under a waterproof shell is ok for anything above the arctic range, and very light to pack. On subfreezing/snowy days in Vienna and Salzburg (in April!) I wore a shirt, down vest, windproof fleece jacket w/a nylon shell on top, plus fleece gloves and scarf. It was a little 'Michelin man'...but I was pretty warm. The REI store/catalog has a great windproof fleece selection, as they make their own in addition to carrying North Face & other brands. Did miss the silk long underwear (also light) that I forgot at home; my legs were cold when it got windy.

Shoes are my biggest problem. In my size they weigh a lot and hog space. I always wear the heaviest pair, and check strappy sandals for evening and Clarks 'Unstructured' shoes for day. They're lighter (but no smaller!) than a typical leather walking shoe. Recently took ASICS gel sneakers (in all-black) for a long trip w/ lots of city/museum walking, and loved them. They were very light, supportive and comfortable - but still huge. If I put shoes in my carry-on there wouldn't be room for much else. :rolleyes:

best carry-on packing advice we've read shared by fellow CCr's harbormaster/John & Kathy:

USING CARRYON ONLY ON CRUISES

For packing using only carry-on luggage, we each take one normal carry on suitcase. I prefer the brand KIVA because it has great front pockets as well as mesh pockets on each side of the suitcase. (You can find it online at Amazon – KIVA 21” rollaboard).

We have done carry-on for 3 weeks in China so this applies whether we’re going for one week or three.

First, we lay out all our clothing that we think we will take. Then we pare it down to “must take.” If it will be a formal cruise, for example, the tux, shirt, cumber bund and tie all must go, along with one pair of shoes that will double for formal and elegant casual. The shoes are soft black leather so they pack flat. He gives the shoes the old Navy drill team spit shine. If a dark suit will work, John will take that and use the coat for a sport coat.

She takes one long skirt and two tops that will work for formal. (Sometimes a shorter skirt will work). One pair of dressy shoes that can work for formal (add clip earrings on the top of the shoe if needed) and elegant casual.

Then, we look at what colors will work. She wears a lot of Chico’s and likes the black, navy, and blue colors. Travelers fabrics from Chicos work, but also their very light chiffon like tops that do not take up much room but can be paired with slacks or the short skirt. One or two short dresses also go in. A couple of their jackets.

He takes navy and black shirts, collared and uncollared, one pair dark trousers, one pair chinos, one pair shorts, one pair expedition type pants. Two dress shirts and ties if more than one week also go in. He wears a sport coat on the plane.

The secret to it all is ZIPLOCK JUMBO bags that can be bought at K-Mart or grocery stores. Not the regular gallon bags, but big ones. Also not the bags you have to vacuum out.

We then each fold our clothes into 4 piles. Each pile goes into one JUMBO bag, we take the air out, and close it. All of John’s formal attire plus his dress shirts and ties fit into one bag.

She can get 6 pair of slacks, 10 tops (jackets and blouses) , two formal outfits, 6 t-shirt casual type shirts, 3 pair capris, one pair shorts, one or two dresses, swim suit and cover up into those 4 bags with the air out. They fit nicely into the 22” suitcase. Underwear and night wear goes into a separate bag.

We then put the shoes on top or into the zipped pocket inside the top cover of the suitcase. She usually takes 2 pair of sandals, one pair loafers, one pair dressy, one pair walking shoes like Earth Shoes – Vegan which mash up and do not weigh anything. She wears them on the plane. He will wear his walking shoes while travelling and pack the formal shoes and one other casual pair of shoes for shipboard wear.

She carries a medium/large Longchamp black bag with our documents, medicine, earphones and ipods, jewelry and a small purse (which has our passports) inside. It also has our “one quart bag each of liquids and gels.”

In our suitcases, we each pack a folded up/zipped up duffel bag to use to come home with our purchases. If we unzip the duffel bags, we put the Longchamp bag folded back up into the duffel bag and put its contents into the duffel, along with the purchases. That way, we always only have 1+1 carryon and comply with all airlines. If it’s a really long trip, we’ll take 2 Longchamp black bags, one each, and put the computer/ipad and books, etc. into it and then put it all in the duffel as well. (We don’t take books now though because we just load up the Kindle). Because we always keep the bags with us, we don’t need to worry about theft, etc.

The two side pouches on the KIVA hold things like umbrellas, rain ponchos, etc.

We always take our own laundry detergent in a small bottle and do laundry once a week or more on the ship.

The main thing to remember is that people don’t care what you’re wearing. They care what THEY are wearing, so you can repeat clothes or mix and match and basically no one will notice.

We have found it so convenient to just carry-on. We don’t worry about missed flights, connections or bags making it. And, there is always a store somewhere we’re going if we forget something. But, we have a list we always use and check it off. And, TSA is not a problem, because they can see in the ZIPLOCK bags and just pull them out quickly if need be. This way our clothes don’t get thrown around by them either and we can rezip the suitcase easily.

I know it sounds crazy, but do try it. We will never go back to the large number of suitcases again. Our motto is, “If it doesn’t fit, it doesn’t travel.”

We always take our own laundry detergent in a small bottle and do laundry once a week or more on the ship.

Laundry detergent is provided by Oceania and they do not let you use your own in their machines. OK however for washing a few things out in the sink.

These things are the greatest for "sink laundry" hand washing of underwear, etc. Sometimes hard to find in local stores, I bought a case of 24 packs (72 washes) on line from Target; they're also available from Amazon. Even though they have a tiny amount of liquid in each, I've never had them questioned by TSA in my carryon.

11139137.jpg

You used to be able to buy packets of Woolite like this (in Canada), they were perfect. But I haven't found them for a long time. I will look for the Tide ones. Sometimes I just put a little powdered detergent in a baggie for the things I wash in the sink.

Ah, I see that Amazon has both, Tide and Woolite.

Ah, I see that Amazon has both, Tide and Woolite

Amazon also has these amazing travel hampers which fit beautifully inside of any Oceania Closet

image.php?type=T&id=18981 They weigh nothing, and fold down to about 1/2 inch!

http://www.amazon.com/DAZZ-Deluxe-Pop-Up-Hamper-Black/dp/B002V91994/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358540104&sr=8-1&keywords=travel+hamper

Once you have traveled with them, you will wonder how you EVER managed without them.

I started travelling by ship back in the 1970's...luggage was piled up beyond belief....my parents & Aunt & Grandparents I recall travelled w/ trunks prior to that.....

Living in NYC I do many black tie events on a regular basis so its not that special....in the last few years my partner & I have kept baggage to carryon & its wonderful. If we sail out of NYC we indulge ourselves but when we need to take a plane we cut it down. 1 Suit(black or blue) 4 dress shirts, beige & blue slacks(linen or wool) topsiders, several gof shirts, 2 bathing suits, socks & underwear. Usually wear jeans to travel in....we send things out as needed for cleaning. Also in warmer climates I swear by linen clothing....

Life is easier and like others noted - noone keeps track... we don't wear t-shirts or sweat suits and are welcomed anywhere we go.

We also ship baggage to hotels when necessary - another wonderful travel tip!

Archived