Does anyone travel with just carryons?

Jacqueline

I never have... In fact, when I first started cruising in earnest in 2000 I traveled heavy with all the gowns and tuxes. There were formal nights, semi-formal nights, etc.

I plan on staying in Europe for a month after arriving in Barcelona and the intra Europe jets are particular about baggage. Not to mention we will be taking trains, etc.

I just came back from 10 days in Central America (I know not the same, but I had to pack hiking apparel, cold and warm cloths, boots, even towels). I just sent laundry out.

It was very liberating! I just took a lot of care in packing coordinating colorways and layers.

I know from in the past, I never wore half what I packed and no one else really cares how many outfits you have.

Anyone tried this?

we have! - our family did the carry-on only for our first Regent cruise - 2 adults, 2 young teens - the cabin stewardess was stunned! -

but i agree with you - it's a great way to travel - just takes a bit (well a lot) of choosing/editing -

i don't know if Ken and i will be able to manage it for our upcoming Alaska cruise this May though - lots of layers required for that time of year i imagine -

Yes you can. The intra European carriers are even more restrictive on weight than US carriers. The Riviera and Marina have washers and dryers on every deck so there isn't a mad rush for machines. Also, you don't need dress up clothes so with careful planning you can use just carry on. Have fun.

Thanks for all the supportive messages. Fortunately the weather everywhere we are going is going to be the same (cool). My silk dress up clothes fold to nothing.

Looks like i will be flying to Miami wearing all my bulkiest clothes and dress boots for my April TA. Shoes are always my problem. I just need more discipline!

Cruise with just a carry-on? Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Not in this lifetime!

I need a 21" carry-on just for meds (do a lot of drugs), make-up, and jewelry. I do manage to squeeze an extra set of undies and a light dress in there for boarding day.

But I still need clothes, and that takes a suitcase.

Did it last summer... One week in Barcelona, 2 weeks on Celebrity Equinox. Total 21 days. All in a 21" roller, and a big leather purse.

I travel with black or brown bottoms (shorts and skirts) nice pastel tops or polos for day touring, and a few pretty cardigans. And a black dress. A scarf or two. Black and brown sandals, walking shoes. ALL very mix and match.

I am of the firm belief that nobody is paying attention to what I am wearing.

VERY light in the toilettries department. Low maintainance gal.

I could give lessons! But you have to be the right sort of person to do it.

we have! One roller board each,mine is expandable, one tote each for cosmetics,iPad, reading material, last cruise 16 days plus three days on land. I find that if I roll each garment, can pack a lot. shoes are my problem too

I always aspire to do that, but never make it. We have two lovely roll-aboards that we use for short trips, and we intend to use them for a short trip to Portugal this spring. But a cruise? I doubt it, except perhaps the Caribbean. Not Alaska, for sure--we did Alaska this last spring, and I had a small duffle full of just rain and cold-weather gear, including boots (all necessary, btw.)

We spent three weeks travelling Europe four years ago with a carry-on each and our "personal item," just a small bag for our I-pad, a book, wallet, etc. I haven't done it for a cruise, not because I couldn't, mainly because I didn't have to. Many years of travelling via motorcycle make me a pretty frugal packer if I have to be.

Maybe for my upcoming South Pacific cruise aboard Marina I'll try it. Mostly light weight clothes and ready access to the laundry. It is certainly freeing not to have to drag big bags through airports, off luggage carousels, etc. And as others have stated, no one cares how many outfits you have as long as you're clean and neat.

we have! One roller board each,mine is expandable, one tote each for cosmetics,iPad, reading material, last cruise 16 days plus three days on land. I find that if I roll each garment, can pack a lot. shoes are my problem too

We've been working up to it for years. After each cruise, I've inventoried what we used and what we didn't, and have been paring down the list each time. Betsy has always been able to travel with a carry-on and a tote bag, or even just a couple of duffel bags. I've always taken two or three pairs of shoes, a couple of sports coats (I like to wear them every once in a while) and to many shirts, shorts, slacks, etc. But, I've got it pared down to one pair of general purpose shoes (can wear them hiking and to dinner) and a pair of good sandals, two pairs of shorts, 1 pair of zip-on shorts/trousers, 2 pairs of docker-type slacks, a couple of tee shirts and a couple polo shirts, a couple of dressy shirts, and I really pared down with underwear -- a couple of Ex Officio fast dry boxers and some Tide sink packets. I can also fit in a sport coat or sweater, and if I expect the weather to be chilly, I can carry a light jacket.

The problem also has always been electronics -- camera, laptop, iPad, Nooks, phones and assorted chargers, and a power strip; and also medications and toiletries. I finally solved that with this combination -- a carry-on bag with a matching tote that straps nicely to the extended handle. I bought one for me and used it several times for trips up to 2 weeks; I just bought another for Betsy. They're inexpensive enough (~$40 at Amazon) that I don't care how long they last. We'll be using them in December for 10 days, again in April for 14, and in a month-long trip next Fall.

spin_prod_732620312?hei=162&wid=162&op_sharpen=1&qlt=75

Next April, we'll be docking in Barcelona, taking the shuttle to the World Trade Center near the base of Las Ramblas, and walking a little more than a mile straight up Las Ramblas to our hotel (Continental). Having the totes firmly strapped to the handles, it will be a piece of cake to accomplish this with our luggage. It's also light enough to negotiate steps in train stations and such.

Forgot to add, on my 3 weeks, we used ONLY trains or busses, NO taxis. That is a huge reason for traveling light this way. Public transport is much easier with 1 bag.

Parents just came to my house for Thanksgiving.... They DROVE and brought 4 suitcases. That was for a 4 day stay. Reminded me of the George Carlin bit on "stuff".

I kind of think of my packing strategy as "Modern Garanimals".

I haven't done it for a cruise, not because I couldn't, mainly because I didn't have to. Many years of travelling via motorcycle make me a pretty frugal packer if I have to be.

OH how true that is is

One saddlebag each & the trunk (if you had one) for rain gear & other STUFF ;)

Lyn

Lets keep the suggestions going! i am really surprised that so many other people are also going lighter. My impetus is that I will have nearly a month of tripping about on public transport or Rynair type planes post cruise and I cannot be burdened by too many items that need to be carried and supervised.

What do you ladies do about shoes! When I was recently away, I saw a stylish young woman wearing TOMS type sneakers which looked very chic with her leggings. It will be too cool for sandals except for the flip flops to the Spa and pool. Dress boots to wear. Maybe tuck in one pair of my lightest heels...but now I am back to 4 pr of shoes!

Not sure where you are going but it may not be a cool as you think in Europe ;)

I take a walking shoe which I wear on the plane, a pr of flat dress sandals for dinner & a pr of Sketchers look like (mary janes) when too warm for my other shoes & socks

I have the AWD suitcases & the carry-on sits on top when we are walking to the port etc...

We have 26 in ones that I take on the cruise but I have 21 in ones that work well as carry-on for short trips

We always travel with one carry-on each.

Whether it is 7 days or 16 days.

Knowing to wear the heaviest outfit on the plane is a good start. I also bring a larger purse and pack makeup, jewelry etc. in it.

I pack mostly silk and roll everything. One good pair of walking shoes (I wear on the plane), one pair of dressy sandals for evening ( mine are straps of blk, silver, bronze) one pair of brown dressy flats with a sturdy sole.

I also make sure that every bottom can be worn with at least 2 different tops and vice versa. I bring a silk neutral trench coat (worn or carried on the plane).

Shoes take up the most room. Try to find one pair of dress shoes for evenings that will match everything.

Pare your colors down to two or three darks and two or three neutrals. I usually travel with everything being black, taupe, champagne and chocolate. Add pattern and color with silk scarves.

I love stepping off the plane and into a taxi, no waiting for luggage!

Good luck and happy travels.

My husband and I tend to travel light, also. We each have one 19 inch (expandable) carry on that we usally check (for convenience) and one under seat duffle type carry on. Both are matching Travelsmith bags and have gone with us on many trips. This has done well for a 26 day cruise as well as for many other trips. We are booked on a 30 day cruise in South American (Lima to Rio, Jan. 2013) and will probably do the same for this trip. My husband's carry on tends to be packed with lots of electronic stuff and travel documents, etc. plus change in case of lost checked bag. We take underwear for 5 or 6 days and use ship laundry, or wash in sink with shampoo.....works well. We wear our heaviest clothes on plane........husband, travel sport coat and heaviest shoes. I always wear black slacks and jacket and take other slacks (neutral, black, beige) and mix and match with light weight tops, casual and dressy. I take several colorful scarves, costume necklace or two and always the thin, wool black shawl for cool AC in dining room, etc.......goes a long way!! So, it has worked for us. And, who can remember what one wears anyway. As long as you are presentable and clean, who cares what you wear.....and will you ever remember whether a cruiser wears the same outfit twice??? I certainly don't. Pack lean and happy cruising!! Holly

Lets keep the suggestions going! i am really surprised that so many other people are also going lighter. My impetus is that I will have nearly a month of tripping about on public transport or Rynair type planes post cruise and I cannot be burdened by too many items that need to be carried and supervised.

What do you ladies do about shoes! When I was recently away, I saw a stylish young woman wearing TOMS type sneakers which looked very chic with her leggings. It will be too cool for sandals except for the flip flops to the Spa and pool. Dress boots to wear. Maybe tuck in one pair of my lightest heels...but now I am back to 4 pr of shoes!

I travel with a pair of Clarks "ballet" flats, a pair of casual more sturdy sneakers, and strappy pair of black sandals for evening.

I buy in multiples. My golf shirts are all the same brand, in six different colors. "Slinky" knit skirts from JJill or Patagonia 2 of the exact same. Three of the exact same cardigans in 3 different colors. Two white tanks, same brand. Columbia cotton/nylon cargo shorts.

At night (dinner) I always wear a cute black skirt with a different cardi, and black sandals.

Days are cargo shorts and a polo.

There is NO guesswork getting dressed. Boring, yes, but very easy.

If you are willing to wear items more than once in your trip, you can definitely pack light :)

I kind of think of my packing strategy as "Modern Garanimals".

Yes! We are carry-on only unless checking wine. One duffel & one tote/briefcase/bookbag pp (so far no wheels for us, that may change if we bring more/can lift less). That picture of us was at a wine festival 3 time zones away and yes, even formal clothes can go in a carry-on.

There is NO guesswork getting dressed. Boring, yes, but very easy.

A scarf is my attempt to avoid boredom. That and a very stretchy knit dress with asymmetrical sleeves that can be worn many ways.

I take (female list, including what I wear on plane):

+3 daytime lower halves

+3 daytime upper halves (varying sleeve lengths)

+a sweater or wrap (sometimes worn on plane, yes under the blazer)

+blazer and/or outer coat (both worn on plane)

+2 evening items (skirt, dress) generally must be knit & stretchy so low volume from a packing perspective

+silk scarf

+swim suit

+pj's and/or swim cover-up

+2 hats (scrunchy & more presentable, the presentable one worn on plane/not packed)

+socks/underwear for 4 days

+3pr shoes: walk-around (worn on plane), sandals and evening (generally mid-heel strappy so minimal packing bulk).

+toiletries

-Packed total including bag appr 12 pounds

-Plus a bag or briefcase with in-purse items (sometimes a purse in this bag, too), in-flight items (sometimes the toiletries go here, too) and my electronics (phone, small camera & charger typically, used to bring a laptop too)

Spouse takes (male list, including what is worn on plane):

+5 upper halves

+3 pr pants/slacks

+2 pr shorts

+sweater (depending on destination)

+blazer and/or outer coat (both worn on plane)

+swim suit

+sleep/night shirt

+socks/underwear for 4 days

+1 or 2 belts (one worn on plane, he doesn't mind undoing for security)

+a tie (not always worn, but takes almost no room)

+4pr shoes: walk-around, sandals, 2pr loafers/leather slip-ons

+1 or 2 hats (one worn on plane)

+toiletries

-Packed total including bag appr 18 pounds

-Plus a tote bag with reading material, his electronics (phone, noise-cancelling headphones), etc

That said, I do bring plenty of stuff many wouldn't bother toting around. I bring a blanket that takes up more space than my evening items (for AC protection on planes, trains, buses), a travel pillow (inflatable), a tube-hat (for onplane sleeping, pull down to cover my eyes while it keeps my head from freezing) food and a cloth napkin for in-transit (I have a restricted diet), dry laundry detergent if doing machine laundry (to be sure it is unscented).

I actually bring our clothes on their hangers-doesn't sound like packing light necessarily, eh? I use a hybrid of rolled & layered methods - I lay out all to-be-packed hanging clothes for one person in a stack, put that person's non-hanging clothes/socks/undies etc in a "loaf" pile a bit below the bottom of the hangers, wrap hangers-end of clothes over top of pile, wrap other end of clothes around from other side of pile, fold sleeves in carefully. Unpacking is really easy this way :) Helps to have a bag that unzips from end, over top, down other end (you can squish the wrapped bundle in a top-only opening, but it's more of a hassle).

We've done basically all our trips with a backpack and daypack (which attaches to the backpack for ease of carrying).

We also tend to store up clothes ready to be retired, take them on trips, and leave them behind to make room for purchases. We've actually come home from trips with emptier backpacks then we left with!

This works especially well with 1) running shoes ready to be retired from active duty; 2) tshirts you don't especially like (freebies/race tshirts, etc.) and 3) work shirts and pants no longer good enough for work.

We do of course take nice stuff as well. But we're active travelers (slowing down some now, though, and we recently bought some wheeled duffels), so if the stuff is going to be getting dirty, it doesn't need to be haute couture!

YMMV

We've done basically all our trips with a backpack and daypack (which attaches to the backpack for ease of carrying).

We also tend to store up clothes ready to be retired, take them on trips, and leave them behind to make room for purchases. We've actually come home from trips with emptier backpacks then we left with!

YMMV

Definitely different strokes for different folks :D

You got to do what works best for you

I personally would never take clothes that are ready for the bin on vacation I would not even wear things like that off my property ;)

If they are ready to retire then they are ready for the dumpster IMO

I do not take a lot of fancy expensive stuff either

Lyn

Archived