Sabatini's new ala carte menu

JasmineB

I noticed on the Princess site that Sabatini now has a new ala carte menu; has anyone tried it and how does this differ from their previous menu service.

What I didn't like about Sabatini's was that there was just simply too much food and even if you took a nibble of each, you were bloated before the main course was served.

I'd enjoy less food and a shorter length of time at the table.

There is still a lot of food. You will get a plate of antipasti for the table, then you will select your appetizer, you will get the pasta of the day, then you will select your main course and dessert. It's not a quick meal.

Denise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were given an Amuse Bouche. Then we were given a small but not impressive antipasto plate to share. The rest of the dinner was the typical menu selection from appetizer, salad/soup, entree and dessert. Gone are the days when they served a huge antipasto with assorted pizza and pasta. I agree it was way too much food. They've done a complete 180. There was only one choice of pasta this time that was a seafood selection to which I am allergic. I felt that the quality of the food had been downgraded from our experience 6 and 3 years ago to what we had this year. We had reserved 2 nights and cancelled the second night. It wasn't bad but I didn't feel it was worth the extra money. One night was enough and we did enjoy the evening.

we travelled with 6 friends on our recent Emerald cruise, 4 of which had previously eaten in Sabatinis. We were going to book a night to eat there but after looking at the menu we decided that the menu was not appealing so saved the money. It was disappointing to see the menu change as they had had such a great experience there. I do have to add that our dinner at the Crown Grill was excellent.

Thanks for the input, I don't think these reports have convinced me to try it again. I'm a little picky and wouldn't like the seafood pasta either. I'll be on the Crown next month and really did enjoy the Crown Grill, maybe I'll stick with that.

I have only dined at Sabatini's with the new menu so I can't compare it to how it used to be. We were in a suite on our last cruise so the dinner was complementary - but I'm so glad that I didn't have to pay for it! We really did not enjoy it. To tell you the truth, we enjoyed every meal in the MDR much better than at Sabatini's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only dined at Sabatini's with the new menu so I can't compare it to how it used to be. We were in a suite on our last cruise so the dinner was complementary - but I'm so glad that I didn't have to pay for it! We really did not enjoy it. To tell you the truth, we enjoyed every meal in the MDR much better than at Sabatini's.

With your complimentary dinner. Could you choose either specialty dining or just Sabatinis. We are in a window suite over new years

With your complimentary dinner. Could you choose either specialty dining or just Sabatinis. We are in a window suite over new years

Yes - you can choose either one. We were in a window suite too! It was beyond fabulous- location was so convenient to everything. You're going to love it! Enjoy!

We had dinner in Sabatini's 2 times, also had lunch there for a special lunch for most travelled passengers. This was on the Ruby Princess, we love the location of Sabatini's on the Ruby.

We are very fussy... we tried the salt baked fish and the shrimp, I would not recommend either. The only thing we really enjoyed and would have again is the veal chop. We had the antipasta, a salad and our main dish, we don't wish to eat more than this.. we went more for the atmoshpere of the room then the food but did really enjoy the veal chops. My recollection is the pasta dish changed from day to day... so you might find some without fish.

We did find you have to watch the price for wine... the wine list was outdated and we were charged more, later on our cabin bill, after we signed off the the bar bill because the wine list was out of date. We did get a credit after we complained.

The truth is we eat at the special restrauants more for the atmosphere, less noisy and more intimate than the MDR. The MDRs on most ships today has really gotten to be unpleasant from an atmosphere standpoint often.

Hmmm... we had a wonderful meal last June on the Golden Princess at Sabatini's. Our tablemates (who had never eaten there before) loved it. The calamari was done to perfection, my veal chop was excellent. The service was very good. We had a great time and great meal.

We are very fussy... we tried the salt baked fish and the shrimp, I would not recommend either. The only thing we really enjoyed and would have again is the veal chop.

Salt Baked Fish....The name alone is a turn off for me. I have only had the veal chop from the old menu. It's the reason I go to Sabatini's. I'm happy to hear that it is still a good choice.

We ate at Sabatini's on the Emerald recently and had mixed feelings. The service was outstanding as was my DH's steak. I had the lobster "3ways" and found the risotto fishy and the lobster tail spongy. I think I preferred the old menu.

I also had the lobster three ways - the lobster was dry and the risotto tasteless. Big disappointment!

Hmmm... we had a wonderful meal last June on the Golden Princess at Sabatini's. Our tablemates (who had never eaten there before) loved it. The calamari was done to perfection, my veal chop was excellent. The service was very good. We had a great time and great meal.

As per usual, I agree with Rick Ek. The fish and seafood selections are wonderful at Sabatini's. The salt encrusted branzino (sea bass) was marvelous. It doesn't taste salty. The salt crust merely holds in the special flavor of the fish and herbs. The fish was delicately served to us, table side, by the dining room captain. He came over to our table, special, to serve it. A very nice moment.

As for wine, we enjoyed Verdiccio with our fish and seafood. (I am not usually able to find this kind of wine or fish at home, so for me, Sabatini's is special.)

And, as I just mentioned on another thread, don't miss the espresso creme brûlée! A unique treat.

Salt Baked Fish....The name alone is a turn off for me. I have only had the veal chop from the old menu. It's the reason I go to Sabatini's. I'm happy to hear that it is still a good choice.

Please bear with me on this... My intention here is an explanation, not an attack. I really mean this as a good thing. No offense, please... :)

Salt encrusted fish is a currently chic food preparation, as featured recently, several times, on the Food Channel. I agree, it doesn't sound so great, but it is.

As mentioned earlier, the salt crust holds in the unique flavors. It does not taste salty. The dining room staff delicately removes the salt crust, table side, and the fish is then served on your plate, steaming hot, with the aromatic flavors wafting...

Fab!

We found the fish at Sabatini's lacking because we are use to eating "fresh" fish. I have had better shrimp at Fisherman's Warf (a tourist trap) in San Francisco - so I found the fish disappointing. When fish is fresh it doesn't need special food preparation to be good.

We found the fish at Sabatini's lacking because we are use to eating "fresh" fish. I have had better shrimp at Fisherman's Warf (a tourist trap) in San Francisco - so I found the fish disappointing. When fish is fresh it doesn't need special food preparation to be good.

Yes, I agree, you are lucky if you can regularly get good, fresh fish. I love fish, but I am not usually able to get good fresh fish. So, for me, the fish on Princess is always a treat. I have it for lunch and dinner, every day, on Princess. Sometimes even smoked fish for breakfast! :)

Bon appetit :)

You're welcome! Sometimes with all the fancy menu descriptions a picture can speak a thousand words. ;)

So true. It made me wonder why so many people complain after reviewing the pictures. I had stopped going because I felt the old process was just too much for us. I am going back to try the new menu on my next cruise. Thanks.

So true. It made me wonder why so many people complain after reviewing the pictures. I had stopped going because I felt the old process was just too much for us. I am going back to try the new menu on my next cruise. Thanks.

Because quite often appearance has no bearing on taste. They are also Princess's marketing pictures.

Archived