transfers back to fll airport with 87 year old

munch122

Hi,

This is our first cruise and I am trying to decide how to get back to fll from port of miami with the least amount of hassle. I am traveling with my 87 year old mother and my husband and all 3 of us have never cruised before. I do not want her standing around in the sun waiting for a bus or waiting a long time for bus to fill up. Our flight is 2:30 pm and I was planning on leaving at 10 am. Should i buy it from cruise line$90.00, use sas or qls $45.00, or should I rent a car. We are renting a car prior but we are coming in a day early. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Sheri :cool::D

SAS will be the way for you to go/

I have this booked for us with my 85 year old dad.

When you are released and got your luggage-- call them. they should be outside when you get through Customs/immigration.

The night before you want to appear at guest services and ask for last off zone.

Eat your breakfast in the main dining room away from the masses visiting the buffet.

You will not be able to wait in the cabin- leave your luggage-- eat your breakfast-- stow your mom somewhere comfortable afterward... as low to the exit as you can get then go get your luggage and meet up with her there

Hi Sheri,

Not sure about transportation but many will give you great tips....you may not know this if it is your first cruise.

Even better is to do luggage valet if your airline has it. Your luggage will be sent to your destination and you will get your boarding passes delivered to your stateroom. It is $20 per person and well worth it. You will also get priority grouping for leaving the ship. LOVE it and easy for your mom too!

Celebrity will announce when it is available and let you know. SO easy....you should just put your valuables and meds in a carry on. Do not forget to set out clothing and shoes for the trip home BEFORE putting out your suitcases to be picked up.

Enjoy your cruise and keep checking CC. You will learn a lot of great tips about cruising.

Hi,

This is our first cruise and I am trying to decide how to get back to fll from port of miami with the least amount of hassle. I am traveling with my 87 year old mother and my husband and all 3 of us have never cruised before. I do not want her standing around in the sun waiting for a bus or waiting a long time for bus to fill up. Our flight is 2:30 pm and I was planning on leaving at 10 am. Should i buy it from cruise line$90.00, use sas or qls $45.00, or should I rent a car. We are renting a car prior but we are coming in a day early. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

We have done exactly that, transferring to FLL from Port of Miami after a cruise, and my suggestion is to forget about the ship transfers, forget about the shuttles, but instead ride in comfort in a private limo. They pick you up right in front of the cruise terminal.

The total cost for the limo, including a tip for the driver, would be about $120.

If you want the least amount of hassle, your mother should request a wheelchair for disembarkation (unless she is in good physical condition and absolutely refuses).

That way wherever there is any waiting, she will be sitting in the wheelchair, not standing, and totally avoids needing to walk through those long corridors or standing in line to go through immigration.

Other than saving a few dollars, there would be no good reason to waste your time picking up and returning a rental car, unless you just want to have the rental car for additional sightseeing that day.

Another vote for luggage valet.

They may not make a big push for this so go to Guest Relations when you have a free moment on board and tell them you want it if it is offered. Not all airlines participate and not all flights qualify but if your does it is money well spent

Hi,

If you rent a car, unless you rent from Hertz, they will pick you up in their bus and take you to the airport :) which sort of defeats that idea. Do NOT rent from hertz...the downtown location that services the docks at the hyatt is the worst hertz location I have ever used....just terribly disorganized and they don't even check the cars before renting....trust me..don't even think about using Hertz even if you are dropping the car off on your way to the cruise.

Depending on the ship/dock in FLL, there can be very long walks to get your luggage and then a long wait in line to clear immigration. The wheel chair idea is a good one, as it will also speed you through that immigration line :) Alternatively, hire a porter to help with your bags...they get to bypass the line with you as well.

I am assuming you did not have flight options from MIA.

Your timing looks great, though you may be getting off a bit earlier than your plan. But, after you get to the airport, and checked in... find a nice sit down restaurant and enjoy a meal, since you probably are not getting anything onboard.

I agree; have used SAS twice and have them booked both ways for our upcoming trip (we always fly SW into FLL). Punctual, professional and courteous.
I have also used SAS and agree. I would use them again if traveling alone.

However, for someone who has mobility issues (as may be the case with the OP's 87 year old), riding in a private limo is more convenient and comfortable than riding in a shuttle company's van.

When you have several people going along on the ride, there is really not that much of a price difference.

In any case, using the cruise line's transfers would be my last choice out of all the possibilities available.

We have done exactly that, transferring to FLL from Port of Miami after a cruise, and my suggestion is to forget about the ship transfers, forget about the shuttles, but instead ride in comfort in a private limo. They pick you up right in front of the cruise terminal.

The total cost for the limo, including a tip for the driver, would be about $120.

If you want the least amount of hassle, your mother should request a wheelchair for disembarkation (unless she is in good physical condition and absolutely refuses).

That way wherever there is any waiting, she will be sitting in the wheelchair, not standing, and totally avoids needing to walk through those long corridors or standing in line to go through immigration.

Other than saving a few dollars, there would be no good reason to waste your time picking up and returning a rental car, unless you just want to have the rental car for additional sightseeing that day.

Do the LIMO, it's worth the extra $40 and will be hassle free,.

People send $1K's on a vacation and try to save a couple dollars on transportation. Not worth it.

Archived