Princess will not sell all available cabins!

photorere

My TA tried to book a 14 cruise for me, yesterday, for next December, 2013. The dates were 14-28 (over Christmas)...they also offer these cruises as 7 day cruises. We have always stayed on the Caribe Deck and after carefully looking at all our options for a cabin with the new structure, we decided on a BE Cat. My TA called and was told (after hanging up with several people and calling back to talk to someone else) that they are only allowed to book those dates for a 14 day cruise on the aloha deck (still cat BE). Yes, they have cabins available on the caribe deck but are only allowed to book them for 7 day cruises!! Bottom Line is that it is approx. $600 more for the two weeks if done for 2b2b. Oh, there was one way we could book the caribe deck and that was to book Cat. B1 (the highest cat) which was another $$$$!!! I just can't believe that I can't choose my cat and deck??? Any comments?

Yes, I know! I'm still upset about it...also remember now each deck is in 4 or 5 cat now, which is also increasing their$$$. I'm not finished with this whole thing...I leave on Sunday for a cruise on Princess and see what I can do at that time.

Sorry, I was writing my reply when you answered about things changing later. They did tell my TA the same thing but the cheaper cats get sold out...believe me the 14 day cruise on the bottom cat on the caribe was still $5300!!

My TA tried to book a 14 cruise for me, yesterday, for next December, 2013. The dates were 14-28 (over Christmas)...they also offer these cruises as 7 day cruises. We have always stayed on the Caribe Deck and after carefully looking at all our options for a cabin with the new structure, we decided on a BE Cat. My TA called and was told (after hanging up with several people and calling back to talk to someone else) that they are only allowed to book those dates for a 14 day cruise on the aloha deck (still cat BE). Yes, they have cabins available on the caribe deck but are only allowed to book them for 7 day cruises!! Bottom Line is that it is approx. $600 more for the two weeks if done for 2b2b. Oh, there was one way we could book the caribe deck and that was to book Cat. B1 (the highest cat) which was another $$$$!!! I just can't believe that I can't choose my cat and deck??? Any comments?

Two things-holiday cruises are great sellers that's why they sell out fast.

Second, I would be concerned about your TA. TO do not consider "hanging up with several people and calling back to talk to someone else" very professional behavior.

As Pam said, your TA should know how this works and should have advised you accordingly.

Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments. The cruise is not sold out...they are not releasing certain cabins on certain decks unless you book a 7 day cruise. I didn't want to go into a long story so I did cut out a few things...one being that my TA was first told that my first choice of a cabin was not available but had.....about three cabins away. She then called me to ask if they were ok, and I said, yes. When she called back, another person told her that no cabins in that cat were available on Caribe deck, at all!!! So after getting no where with him she decided to wait a bit and call again in hopes of getting someone else who was going to help her. You can see that it was a much longer story. Now what she didn't know and I just found out from another thread that I posted this on is that Cruise lines save a certain number of cabins on a deck/decks of their choosing for 14 days crusies, only. This is beacuse they are also offering the same cruises for 7 days, too. This makes sense to me but my TA and I will fight for them to release a cabin on my perferred deck in a cat that I can afford. We shall see what happens.

Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments. The cruise is not sold out...they are not releasing certain cabins on certain decks unless you book a 7 day cruise. I didn't want to go into a long story so I did cut out a few things...one being that my TA was first told that my first choice of a cabin was not available but had.....about three cabins away. She then called me to ask if they were ok, and I said, yes. When she called back, another person told her that no cabins in that cat were available on Caribe deck, at all!!! So after getting no where with him she decided to wait a bit and call again in hopes of getting someone else who was going to help her. You can see that it was a much longer story. Now what she didn't know and I just found out from another thread that I posted this on is that Cruise lines save a certain number of cabins on a deck/decks of their choosing for 14 days crusies, only. This is beacuse they are also offering the same cruises for 7 days, too. This makes sense to me but my TA and I will fight for them to release a cabin on my perferred deck in a cat that I can afford. We shall see what happens.

Well good luck to you!

I'm booked on the Grand 14-day cruise departing December 1, and it is also sold as two 7-day cruises. I really wanted the covered Emerald deck mini-suite, but only Dolphin deck minis were available on the 14-day cruise. My TA tried to get me two Emerald deck minis that were available on each of the 7-day cruises...but was told by Princess that they can not mix cabin inventory. Doesn't make any sense to me either, but I just experienced the same thing.

I'm booked on the Grand 14-day cruise departing December 1, and it is also sold as two 7-day cruises. I really wanted the covered Emerald deck mini-suite, but only Dolphin deck minis were available on the 14-day cruise. My TA tried to get me two Emerald deck minis that were available on each of the 7-day cruises...but was told by Princess that they can not mix cabin inventory. Doesn't make any sense to me either, but I just experienced the same thing.

Just need to go up the chain of command and speak with the right supervisor.

Princess would rather sell the cabins as a b2b than lose the sale. Just need to get to the person who understands that.

Well I'm sorry that you had the same problem! They can make more money selling 7 day cruises so I guess they hold onto cabins that they know people will book for the 7 days instead of the 14 day cruises that they offer. Like I said, I'm not finished with the whole thing...I am trying to book for December 2103, so I have time and I'll have to hope that something will open up where I want to be for those 14 days. I like Princess and have been on many Princess cruises so I'm not ready to change to another line at this time. Have fun on your cruise.

That happened to us on an Alaskan cruise. They had certain cabins held for people doing the land tours. Maddening when there is only one cabin available in the category you want and they are saving it when who knows if anyone will book it or not.

Interesting...and I thought this was something new. I'm glad I started this thread and certainly didn't expect so many responses. Sounds like this has been going on for a long time but unless it happens to you that's when we find out. When I come back from my cruises...I leave on Saturday (cruise Sunday) for 3btb, won't be back till the 24th but I'll have lots of time to work on the booking lady on the ship and I'll write a follow-up to "my problem".

This is exactly the case. Princess (ad every other line) has very sophisticated software that determines how to get the maximum possible revenue for the cabins based on a number of factors. If the system indicates that a certain class will have a higher price point on a 7 day they will be held for that route.

One of the factors is time till cruise. If the system determines that the odds of selling those cabins at a higher price than the 14 day would gather have dropped below X, then it gets opened to the other itinerary.

Note that this happens automatically and sometimes more than once per day. It IS possible for Princess reps to override the system, but they have to have a good reason when the revenue differential is more than X.

Well I'm sorry that you had the same problem! They can make more money selling 7 day cruises so I guess they hold onto cabins that they know people will book for the 7 days instead of the 14 day cruises that they offer. Like I said, I'm not finished with the whole thing...I am trying to book for December 2103, so I have time and I'll have to hope that something will open up where I want to be for those 14 days. I like Princess and have been on many Princess cruises so I'm not ready to change to another line at this time. Have fun on your cruise.

This is exactly the case. Princess (ad every other line) has very sophisticated software that determines how to get the maximum possible revenue for the cabins based on a number of factors. If the system indicates that a certain class will have a higher price point on a 7 day they will be held for that route.

One of the factors is time till cruise. If the system determines that the odds of selling those cabins at a higher price than the 14 day would gather have dropped below X, then it gets opened to the other itinerary.

Note that this happens automatically and sometimes more than once per day. It IS possible for Princess reps to override the system, but they have to have a good reason when the revenue differential is more than X.

Good synopsis.

A couple of things, one of which has already been mentioned. And that is that holiday cruises often sell out a year in advance, if that's the time you're trying to book. The other thing is that your TA can try to book the two 7-day cruises as B2B's. It'll be more expensive but might be less than the available cabins for the 14 days in higher categories. You can also book the Emerald deck mini-suite for 7 days and another cabin for the other 7 days. Changing cabins isn't a big deal. You leave everything in the closet and pack only the stuff from shelves and drawers. Your steward will move it all over for you. Something to consider.

When we booked our Panama Canal cruise, the first after the 2011 Alaska season, the cruise was being sold as a 17 or 18 night (sorry, don't recall the exact night count) out of Vancouver as well as the 15 night from San Pedro.

When I tried to book my selected cabin, the Princess rep said it was not available. I pointed out that if I were to sail out of Vancouver, that cabin could be mine. He kindly referred my request to a Customer Service rep who worked with Yield Management to get that cabin released for us. In less than a week, we were confirmed for our chosen cabin. So, some cabins are allocated for certain sailing segments, but exceptions are made ... and, apparently, the request has to move thru the proper food chain.

I would hope that the OP's TA can work some magic with Princess to get him the cabin he prefers/desires.

Be persistant. We had this same thing happen 6 years ago on our Tahitian Princess b2b. After many phone calls, talking to supervisors and yield management, we were able to get the cabin we wanted, at the price we wanted but the process was slow and very frustrating. Just get a deposit down on something and then work the system.

When we booked our Panama Canal cruise, the first after the 2011 Alaska season, the cruise was being sold as a 17 or 18 night (sorry, don't recall the exact night count) out of Vancouver as well as the 15 night from San Pedro.

When I tried to book my selected cabin, the Princess rep said it was not available. I pointed out that if I were to sail out of Vancouver, that cabin could be mine. He kindly referred my request to a Customer Service rep who worked with Yield Management to get that cabin released for us. In less than a week, we were confirmed for our chosen cabin. So, some cabins are allocated for certain sailing segments, but exceptions are made ... and, apparently, the request has to move thru the proper food chain.

I would hope that the OP's TA can work some magic with Princess to get him the cabin he prefers/desires.

I usually book my cabins directly with Princess before turning it over to a TA. Not having the cabin I want available has happened several times when trying to book a cabin designated for either two 7 days or a 14 day cruise. I've been very lucky as the CSR has "okayed" the cabin for booking immediately or it was released to book within 24 hours. Once they went ahead and booked me in one cabin for a b2b and then the next day gave me the cabin I had really wanted (after it was released from the 14 day cruise inventory).

Archived