We missed our flight and Princess would not let us join at a later port.

PunkiC

When you travel a lot, you have to accept the fact that sometimes "stuff" happens and roll with it.

Sometimes the "stuff" is what makes the trip most memorable. We once flew in to Heathrow on Concorde and were almost immediately met with a massive strike that tied up almost 100,000 people from all over the world for days. That was the bad news. The good news for us was that because we were Concorde passengers, British reimbursed our very expensive stay at the Heathrow Hilton, and while we were stuck hanging out in the Concorde lounge we had amazing food, fabulous company, and ridiculously wonderful Chateau Margaux wine which sold for about $650 a bottle. That was pretty cool. We will never forget that trip.

We also once almost missed the QM2 out of Brooklyn, even though we had flown in the night before. We were staying at the Sheraton in Flushing and had scheduled a flat-rate limo from the hotel to the pier--thank God for that. It would have cost a fortune had we taken a taxi. The concierge anticipated the trip would take somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes, depending on traffic. It took 3.5 hours and we had to run like crazy to make the ship. We still laugh about that.

I agree with you, seadeck2, flying up and down the West Coast is usually a piece of cake, presenting almost no problems whatsoever, so we usually fly into Long Beach on the day of flight. Most times you win, but sometimes you lose. Stuff happens. :p I have learned a lot and have actually enjoyed this experience even while it was happening. I am certain it will make even better memories, even before the cruise (for us) begins.

You just never, never know what will happen when you travel. :)

When you travel a lot, you have to accept the fact that sometimes "stuff" happens and roll with it.

Sometimes the "stuff" is what makes the trip most memorable. We once flew in to Heathrow on Concorde and were almost immediately met with a massive strike that tied up almost 100,000 people from all over the world for days. That was the bad news. The good news for us was that because we were Concorde passengers, British reimbursed our very expensive stay at the Heathrow Hilton, and while we were stuck hanging out in the Concorde lounge we had amazing food, fabulous company, and ridiculously wonderful Chateau Margaux wine which sold for about $650 a bottle. That was pretty cool. We will never forget that trip.

We also once almost missed the QM2 out of Brooklyn, even though we had flown in the night before. We were staying at the Sheraton in Flushing and had scheduled a flat-rate limo from the hotel to the pier--thank God for that. It would have cost a fortune had we taken a taxi. The concierge anticipated the trip would take somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes, depending on traffic. It took 3.5 hours and we had to run like crazy to make the ship. We still laugh about that.

I agree with you, seadeck2, flying up and down the West Coast is usually a piece of cake, presenting almost no problems whatsoever, so we usually fly into Long Beach on the day of flight. Most times you win, but sometimes you lose. Stuff happens. :p I have learned a lot and have actually enjoyed this experience even while it was happening. I am certain it will make even better memories, even before the cruise (for us) begins.

You just never, never know what will happen when you travel. :)

I hope you will come back here and let us know how it all works out.

Of course I will come back and let you know how it goes. Since it has been so interesting thus far, I am even thinking of writing a trip report, which I always plan to do but never seem to manage to do.

As I was rereading my last post I realize that I didn't point out that the fabulous wine in the Concorde Lounge was free, which is the only way that I am ever going to have wine of that caliber. I am definitely not a wine snob and am usually pretty happy with Trader Joe's Viñas Chilenas Merlot at $3.49 a bottle. As a matter of fact, I actually prefer it to the fancy fine wine they serve in first-class on Lufthansa. :o

caribill, we don't fly into Honolulu until Monday evening. We will spend Tuesday with our friends there as the ship doesn't leave until 11:00 p.m.

Jim and Ann, please do join us on a future cruise. We will be taking the Crown on 2/23/13 out of Galveston and then we are eyeing the Beijing to Anchorage cruise in early May. This cruise was listed as either Beijing to Anchorage, or Beijing to Vancouver. Unfortunately, the Anchorage to Vancouver leg is already sold out so the only remaining option is Beijing to Anchorage. We will keep watching the prices and jump on it if we see a decent price and can get award ticket to Beijing and then home from Anchorage.

we are eyeing the Beijing to Anchorage cruise in early May. This cruise was listed as either Beijing to Anchorage, or Beijing to Vancouver. Unfortunately, the Anchorage to Vancouver leg is already sold out so the only remaining option is Beijing to Anchorage.

Princess web site shows that the 23 days from Beijing to Vancouver still has cabins available inside and mini-suites. So you can book this cruise now and hope that the type cabin you really want (if not an inside or mini-suite) becomes available later.

As you indicated, if booked seperately, no cabins are available on the 2nd leg except for full suites.

Sorry you had the misfortune of missing the ship and all the added costs.

But what really bothered me was the nightmares your tale of woe created. I have awoken in a cold sweat more than once, since reading about your problems. I've had nightmares about missing my flight, getting on the wrong plane, getting a cabbie who got lost, and another dream about wayward cabana boys. Yikes!

Regarding trip insurance, I priced it out and it worked out to be about 10% of the price of the cruise. I can't imagine anywhere near 10% of cruise passengers missing their cruise. Seems to me to be about as cost effective as extended warranties at Best Buys.

Regarding trip insurance, I priced it out and it worked out to be about 10% of the price of the cruise. I can't imagine anywhere near 10% of cruise passengers missing their cruise. Seems to me to be about as cost effective as extended warranties at Best Buys.

Worst case scenario of not buying an extended warranty at Best Buy is you might be out a big screen TV..worst case scenario of not having cruise insurance could be your life savings and your house if you need Medivac.

Yes, 10% of the cost of the trip for insurance is about right. In addition to the trip interruption insurance, lost baggage, etc. the foremost reason many of us get it is for emergency medical coverage including evacuation which your insurance or Medicare may or may not cover. Many of the destinations you visit on a ship may be nice to visit, but probably not quite as nice for state of the art emergency medical treatment!

...the foremost reason many of us get it is for emergency medical coverage including evacuation which your insurance or Medicare may or may not cover.
FYI, Medicare doesn't cover anything on the ship or outside the US. If you have Medicare, you need to make sure you have supplemental health insurance as well. Also, many cruise insurance policies, including Princess, cover only getting you to the nearest medical facility. If you're in a hospital thousands of miles from home, they'll cover a commercial flight but you may not be in any condition to do so. That's why we have MedJet Assist. :)

Being relatively young, and (by the grace of God) very healthy, we have never really thought about insurance while we travel, but I suppose, as we age, that would be a good idea. My husband told me that he did get insurance for his ski trip to Switzerland next month, but I have no idea what it covers. I think I will ask him.

Pam, I did send you an e-mail.

Jim and Ann, please do join us on a future cruise.

as you can see we have a grand 6 week european plan for 2013

we have put deposit on tahiti & hawaii on golden prin for 2014

but am waiting to see the 2014 paul gauguin cruise schedule

we would fly to tahiti non stop from lax to papeete - stay for a few days

before and after one of their 14 day cruises which includes more time &

ports so we could really see more of tahiti and enjoy lots of snorkeling

as much as we dislike flying, just cannot see spending 28 days on ship

with only 8 or 9 days in ports - would rather spend the $$ to experience more of polynesia

have read marvelous reviews of paul gauguin cruises !

have you ever considered doing this ??

So how sad is that. Due to circumstances beyond our control, we missed out flight to LAX and missed our cruise to Hawaii. Alaska Air was able to accommodate us with a flight to join the ship in Honolulu, but Princess says we can't join because of the Passenger Services Act.

What? The ship stops in Ensenada on the way back and that is definitely a distant port from Honolulu. I even offered to disembark in Ensenada, but they say no dice. This sounds really fishy t o me.

Thoughts?

Ensenada is not a "distant foreign port". There are no distant foreign ports in North or Central America. A cruise from Honolulu to Los Angeles would be a violation of the PVSA.

However, a cruise from Honolulu to Ensenada would not violate the PVSA. In fact, there are several cruises that do exactly that itinerary. I even helped someone arrange exactly that with Princess. However, that was done before the cruise, not during the cruise.

All I can say is, I hope you had insurance.

Ensenada is not a "distant foreign port". There are no distant foreign ports in North or Central America. A cruise from Honolulu to Los Angeles would be a violation of the PVSA.

However, a cruise from Honolulu to Ensenada would not violate the PVSA. In fact, there are several cruises that do exactly that itinerary. I even helped someone arrange exactly that with Princess. However, that was done before the cruise, not during the cruise.

LOL, you are exactly right. They were, however, so polarized on the PVSA that it was difficult to to get it through to Princess that a Honolulu to Ensenada did not fall under the purview of the act. Finally after two days of arguing, the light dawned and it all worked out OK in the end.

as you can see we have a grand 6 week european plan for 2013

we have put deposit on tahiti & hawaii on golden prin for 2014

but am waiting to see the 2014 paul gauguin cruise schedule

we would fly to tahiti non stop from lax to papeete - stay for a few days

before and after one of their 14 day cruises which includes more time &

ports so we could really see more of tahiti and enjoy lots of snorkeling

as much as we dislike flying, just cannot see spending 28 days on ship

with only 8 or 9 days in ports - would rather spend the $$ to experience more of polynesia

have read marvelous reviews of paul gauguin cruises !

have you ever considered doing this ??

We love flying and we love sea days so a long sea voyage would be just fine with us. Unfortunately, we still work so "long" is the issue. Hopefully we can find a way to retire within the not-too-distant future.

LOL, you are exactly right. They were, however, so polarized on the PVSA that it was difficult to to get it through to Princess that a Honolulu to Ensenada did not fall under the purview of the act. Finally after two days of arguing, the light dawned and it all worked out OK in the end.

Well, I'm glad you were able to make the best of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Our delayed boarding in Honolulu was a piece of cake. They checked our passports and boarding passes as we went through security with the rest of the passengers returning to the ship, and we then proceeded to the boarding ramp. The agent at the ramp took our pictures with her hand-held machine, a ship's officer came down to the ramp with our cruise cards, helped us to our room with our luggage, and our cruise began.

We were disappointed that we were too late to get into the ukulele and hula classes, as that was a high point of the cruise for many people, but we had a good time and the staff on the ship were very accommodating in every way.

We had to hook up with the Mexican customs people in the Crown Grill at 3:30 p.m. to arrange our departure in Ensenada. Again a staff member came to our cabin and helped us with our luggage. We filled out our paper work, paid for our Mexican visas and the Mexican officials checked out luggage. Well they didn't really check it, but had the opportunity to do so had they so chosen. The Princess officer then helped us take our luggage to the purser's desk for storage while we went up and ate our farewell meal in the Horizon Court.

We then disembarked, took the shuttle to the main gate of the port, where we were met by our limo driver, who was truly amazing. Honestly, prior to our embarkation, the transportation from Esenada to San Diego was my biggest concern--one hears such crazy stories about Mexico these day. The trip, however, was safe and comfortable, taking the toll road the entire way.

Our San Diego-based driver had a Sentri pass for the border, so we got out of the car at the border, walked across with our luggage and met him on the other side. The whole border process took less than 15 minutes for both us and the driver at the airport crossing point. DH and I both had our US Passport Cards, which put us into the "Rapid Card" line, as opposed to the very long and slow line which everyone else had to join. Note to self: Nevery leave home without your Passport Card. :)

All in all it was a very educational, rewarding and positive experience. Of course we would have preferred the extra sea days, but overall we made some pretty good lemonade. ;)

Our delayed boarding in Honolulu was a piece of cake....

All in all it was a very educational, rewarding and positive experience. Of course we would have preferred the extra sea days, but overall we made some pretty good lemonade. ;)

Glad it ended up being a positive experience.

Thanks for coming back to let us know how it went.

We had to hook up with the Mexican customs people in the Crown Grill at 3:30 p.m. to arrange our departure in Ensenada. Again a staff member came to our cabin and helped us with our luggage. We filled out our paper work, paid for our Mexican visas and the Mexican officials checked out luggage. Well they didn't really check it, but had the opportunity to do so had they so chosen.

Can you explain the Mexican visas? I am not familiar with them.

Glad the trip worked out for you!

Archived