We missed our flight and Princess would not let us join at a later port.

PunkiC

Now Princess is saying we can join the ship in Honolulu and disembark in Ensenada.

Now we just have to figure out how to get from Ensenada to San Diego.

Any ideas?

It isn't too hard really. We have a boat that we took to Ensenada (from LA) and left for the winter. We needed to get Back home to LA. We took a taxi (arranged through our hotel and not too expensive considering it is an hours drive) to the border. We then walked across the border with our luggage and there is a red trolley that will take you to the downtown San Diego train station. You can then either catch a cab to the airport or take the train to LA if your flight starts there.

You folks were the talk of the ship for days. Passengers kept hoping that if you were able to fly to Hawaii' date=' you'll be able to board. But the question of the legality came up. It seemed that those from your country that we did talk to, did manage to leave days early. One couple we talked to on New Years Eve had built in a pre-cruise week in Vegas, so that saved their trip

-- they managed to fly out before the snows fell.

Hopefully that snowstorm a couple of years ago was just a freak storm so you'll be able to have a smooth flight. And hopefully it won't be raining cats and dogs in mid-December in LA like it was that week.[/color']

I have never been to Europe, but I think if we finally do that Baltic cruise that's on our dream list (my term for a bucket list), we would go at least a couple of days ahead.

I hope you make it to Europe. We're doing the Baltic next year so that will be another off my list.

I'm glad that some folks from the UK made that Hawaii trip, but due to DHs limited amount of holidays, we don't have the luxury of going out more that the day before. I am so looking forward to this year!

Homelessbear, I remember your pain about missing that cruise, I just can't believe it has been two years.:eek:

I can't believe its 2 years either - time whizzes by! I am so looking forward to it this year and am desperately keeping everything crossed that we get there.

I was absolutely gutted when we didn't make the trip, so I understand how the OP must be feeling. I hope everything works out well.

Now Princess is saying we can join the ship in Honolulu and disembark in Ensenada.

Now we just have to figure out how to get from Ensenada to San Diego.

Any ideas?

As I said earlier, I live north of Enenada and would be glad to look into busses or

taxis. Your best bet is a bus that goes across the border, that way you only have

to take your luggage thru us customs. Some busses will take you to the train station.

From there it is a short ride to the airport.

Greg

It was interesting to see how everyone from Princess and our travel agent's office got bogged down in their interpretations of the Passenger Services Act without stopping to think that a cruise from Honolulu to Ensenada really doesn't fall under the Act. Oh well, it all worked out in the end.

We were able to find a limo that will pick us up at the ship and deliver us to our San Diego hotel, including Quick Pass at the border for $250 which I believe, under the circumstances to be a reasonable price as I have no desire to schlep luggage around in Mexico. Since our 14-day cruise has been shortened to only 7 days, we will probably get that much back from our OBC.

The biggest reason I want to go on the cruise, no matter how long or short, is that we have plans to hook up with old, old friends both in Honolulu and on the ship. It has also been a very interesting experience changing our embarkation and disembarkation. Like my TA and I agreed last night--these have been an extremely educational couple of days. :p

Thank you all for your support, knowledge, and suggestions.

It was interesting to see how everyone from Princess and our travel agent's office got bogged down in their interpretations of the Passenger Services Act without stopping to think that a cruise from Honolulu to Ensenada really doesn't fall under the Act. Oh well, it all worked out in the end.

We were able to find a limo that will pick us up at the ship and deliver us to our San Diego hotel, including Quick Pass at the border for $250 which I believe, under the circumstances to be a reasonable price as I have no desire to schlep luggage around in Mexico. Since our 14-day cruise has been shortened to only 7 days, we will probably get that much back from our OBC.

The biggest reason I want to go on the cruise, no matter how long or short, is that we have plans to hook up with old, old friends both in Honolulu and on the ship. It has also been a very interesting experience changing our embarkation and disembarkation. Like my TA and I agreed last night--these have been an extremely educational couple of days. :p

So glad this worked out for you. Like you, I would have booked the limo rather than try to drag luggage around. Not a fun way to end the cruise. Hope you decide to go ahead and book the Diamond next May. :) There's a really nice group of people going, several of whom I'm really looking forward to seeing again.

Greg, the limo will pick us up at the pier in Ensenada and deliver us to our hotel in San Diego. He said the Quickpass line is usually very fast, as long as we don't have any drugs or guns. :p I hope they let us through with our Glucosamine-Chondroitin and other old-people drugs.

Greg, the limo will pick us up at the pier in Ensenada and deliver us to our hotel in San Diego. He said the Quickpass line is usually very fast, as long as we don't have any drugs or guns. :p I hope they let us through with our Glucosamine-Chondroitin and other old-people drugs.

PunkiC - sounds like things are working out. Sorry you missed out on some relaxing sea days. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Happy to see there is a happy ending to your adventure. I admire your persistance and your positive attitude. My dad' motto is that in the negative there is always some positive, I hope you will find it soon. To keep things in balance you will have to spoil yourselves to make up for all the misses days and the stress ;). Have a wonderful time with your friends and a great cruise!

Let us know if you do get any OBC. I'm guessing not, as it wasn't Princess's fault you missed the flight, and they couldn't fill your cabin with another party (while if you had cancelled at least a few days before the cruise, they may have been able to resell the cabin).

Oh, no, I am not expecting any OBC for the delay. I was just talking about our FCC, Military, Stockholder and TA OBC.

We don't gamble or use the spa so about the only thing we spend money on are extra internet time, a bottle of wine for dinner in the evenings, and tips.

Oh, no, I am not expecting any OBC for the delay. I was just talking about our FCC, Military, Stockholder and TA OBC.

We don't gamble or use the spa so about the only thing we spend money on are extra internet time, a bottle of wine for dinner in the evenings, and tips.

Thats what I figured. Never thought you were expecting OBC for the missed days. However, if you have Princess insurance, it'll be worth your while to submit a claim for the missed days under "trip interruption."

Pam, we have traveled over 1.5 million miles, primarily by air, where there is no such thing as insurance, so we have never really thought about it. In all of that travel we never once had a change or interruption of travel plans that had not been caused by the airlines.

We are relatively new to cruising, having taken our first in 2005, so we are still learning the ropes. Now that I realize that we get a free uprade to Platinum insurance, we will probably think about it more seriously.

On this particular cruise we got a good enough deal that I would not have felt badly about the price even it had originally been an 8 day cruise, so I don't feel badly.

Speaking of good deals, let me know if you ever see one on the China cruise on the Diamond. It really doe intrigue me.

Pam, we have traveled over 1.5 million miles, primarily by air, where there is no such thing as insurance, so we have never really thought about it.

Yes, there absolutely is flight insurance. If you book your airfare online, they always ask if you want the flight insurance before you complete your booking.

On this particular cruise we got a good enough deal that I would not have felt badly about the price even it had originally been an 8 day cruise, so I don't feel badly.

Speaking of good deals, let me know if you ever see one on the China cruise on the Diamond. It really doe intrigue me.

I understand as I often self-insure for air figuring that my loss is the amount I paid for the flight(s). Since I usually use air miles, I've been able to cancel and re-use the miles for a relatively small fee so I don't normally get air insurance. The Princess insurance does not include air.

As for the Diamond, would love to "chat" with you more. My email is in my signature.

Being from the west coast flying to Florida-this is my worst fear with cruising. We always purchase Princess Insurance, even b2b's. We recently flew on another airline to LA for our cruise and cut it very short getting there - knew it and fortunately we made it, but if a huge tieup on LA freeways we may have missed the cruise, we did take Princess tranfers from LAX to the pier. In all of the years we have been traveling and most in January/Feb. we have not had flight problems. Years ago when the cruise line flew us we were nervous with getting in the night before, but never a problem. We always fly in no less than 2 days early for east coast departures. So far we have been lucky. I appreciate your sharing your experience and feel very bad you missed your flight, like you it seems like a no brainer to fly in day of for LAX or SF cruises from where we live. I feel like I got lucky in Sept.

There are credit cards that automatically include some travel insurance when you book your cruise or airline tickets or rental car using their card.

If you have close friends or family members in the insurance business, they can regale you with stories of people who throw away their money buying additional insurance that only duplicates coverage they already have, much to the delight of the insurance companies.

The scare stories told to the consumer are always about the person who did not buy cruise insurance and regretted it when a major illness or injury occurred.

They do not tell you about the thousands who were already covered under their existing policies, and the millions who had no misfortune befall them at all, or only a minor scrape.

Now I would never tell anyone not to buy travel insurance, but only to be an informed consumer who knows what coverage you already have before buying more.

Yes, there absolutely is flight insurance. If you book your airfare online, they always ask if you want the flight insurance before you complete your booking.

What they are selling you is a refund if you decide to cancel a non-fundable ticket, not for an airline problem while traveling and certainly not for consequencial damages such as missing a cruise.

What they are selling you is a refund if you decide to cancel a non-fundable ticket, not for an airline problem while traveling and certainly not for consequencial damages such as missing a cruise.

Where in my post did I state that flight insurance would cover the cost of the missed cruise? That is quite a presumptive leap. However, if the insurance includes missed flight coverage then it would have covered the cost of the OP's missed flight for any reason.

Archived