We missed our flight and Princess would not let us join at a later port.

PunkiC

About 6 years ago, I was on a rt Hawaii cruise, LA-LA. Since I live n of Ensenada. I

asked if I could disembark there. No problem, I was charged $20. pp for 2 of us.

It was great, I was able to bring my plants from Hawaii. No customs or

immigration agents. I did have to carry my own luggage off.

Greg

Yes, because you are coming back to the same port.. It's only when two different ports are involved is an issue.

First - I just want to say I feel so bad to PunkiC for missing their cruise. We all work so hard for our holidays.

Second - So we are on a two week B2B Carribean Cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. Flying in from Edmonton AB Canada the day before the cruise leaves. If our flight should get cancelled due to weather would we be allowed to catch up with the ship at one of the ports?

Thanks for your help.

From what I understand, things in Mexico have tightened up a bit in the past few years. I don't think they would (or should) have no immigration process now. Or at least they are not supposed to.

About 6 years ago, I was on a rt Hawaii cruise, LA-LA. Since I live n of Ensenada. I

asked if I could disembark there. No problem, I was charged $20. pp for 2 of us.

It was great, I was able to bring my plants from Hawaii. No customs or

immigration agents. I did have to carry my own luggage off.

Greg

Yes, because you are coming back to the same port.. It's only when two different ports are involved is an issue.

It is only when two different USA ports are involved is an issue.

That is why a missed embarkation on a cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage cannot be joined in progress as the only place it could be joined is a USA port. It would be allowed if the passenger was on a B2B and would eventually be disembarking in Vancouver.

Thanks for clarification, I should have been more specific.

It is only when two different USA ports are involved is an issue.

That is why a missed embarkation on a cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage cannot be joined in progress as the only place it could be joined is a USA port. It would be allowed if the passenger was on a B2B and would eventually be disembarking in Vancouver.

From what I understand, you can not knowingly break the rules (join the ship in Hawaii) and pay the penalties. The cruise line is not allowed to let you do this.
I believe that technically, the ship is charged the penalty and that charge is passed on to the passengers. As you say, you cannot knowingly and deliberately break the law (PVSA) even if you are willing to pay the $300/pp penalty. And, the cruise line (none of them, not just Princess) will allow or give you permission to do so. It's not a local law or fine, it's US federal law.

On our Dec. 2010 cruise on the Golden' date=' about 200 Brits were flying out of Heathrow during a week of really bad snowy weather there and arriving the day of the cruise in LA, which was having a record number of days in a row of rain, including the embarkation day. The captain even held the ship for 4-1/2 hours, but the Brits didn't make the cruise. We were speculating about whether they could join the ship in Hilo,the first port, but apparently that was nixed as they never showed up there, either.

On the other hand, every time we met one of their countrymen, I would ask if they were in that group and they said they had made other arrangements so they could get to the states at least a few days ahead of time (someone told us they managed to get to Paris and fly out from there).

I truly believe that the only time someone shouldn't get to their embarkation city at least a day ahead is when they have a quick (less than a few hours) drive to the port, which fits us, if going from San Pedro.[/quote']

We were two of the Brits who didn't make this cruise. What you said isn't quite correct, as we weren't due to arrive the day of the cruise but the day before, stay overnight in a hotel and board the cruise the following day. If we book the package with the cruise line, all of our cruises that start in the USA or Canada, fly us out the day before with an overnight hotel stay (with the exception of a charter flight cruise).

We didn't make the cruise because there were no flights leaving Heathrow to LA (or to lots of other places) due to the deep snow. Flights didn't get out for days, and by that time there was a horrendous backlog, so we had no chance of picking the ship up anywhere else even if we had wanted to.

We are trying again and are booked onto this cruise this year - YEAH!! - flying out the day before. Just hoping that we don't get the snow again and can enjoy xmas and new year as we should have done 2 years ago!

After quoting the Passenger Service Act and many different interpretations thereof, many different times, someone finally listened to my simple question:

"How does the Passenger Services Act apply to a cruise that starts in one US port and ends in a foreign port?"

Oh yeah, it doesn't. ;)

I did find a pretty reasonable limo company that will pick us up at the pier and deliver us to the San Diego airport.

Things are looking up.

Now Princess is saying we can join the ship in Honolulu and disembark in Ensenada.

Now we just have to figure out how to get from Ensenada to San Diego.

Any ideas?

Are they still charging you the full fare? It seems that you'll miss half the cruise - if it were me, I'd collect on the insurance and book another cruise some time. As for the ride from Ensenada to San Diego, it's two to three hours, so it's not just an easy hop in a cab...plus you have to go through customs at the US Border.

Are they still charging you the full fare? It seems that you'll miss half the cruise - if it were me, I'd collect on the insurance and book another cruise some time. As for the ride from Ensenada to San Diego, it's two to three hours, so it's not just an easy hop in a cab...plus you have to go through customs at the US Border.

I agree.

For those of you who keep suggesting that the OP collect insurance, please realize that many, if not the majority, of insurance plans would not cover this situation. Many insurance plans require the traveler to minimize loss by attempting to catch up with the cruise. In this specific case, the insurance would not cover the OP's inability to catch up with the cruise because doing so would break the law, i.e., PVSA. Inability to catch up with the cruise would have to be a covered reason.

You keep bring up insurance but I don't see where the OP said they had insurance. Maybe they have no choice but to try and get on the cruise for as many days as possible. Did I miss it?

For those of you who keep suggesting that the OP collect insurance, please realize that many, if not the majority, of insurance plans would not cover this situation. Many insurance plans require the traveler to minimize loss by attempting to catch up with the cruise. In this specific case, the insurance would not cover the OP's inability to catch up with the cruise because doing so would break the law, i.e., PVSA. Inability to catch up with the cruise would have to be a covered reason.
Princess insurance would cover this as "trip interruption." The OP would receive a credit for the pro-rated amount for the days not sailed.

I'm thrilled the OP has been able to work out a solution. A few days at sea are better than none.

We were two of the Brits who didn't make this cruise. What you said isn't quite correct, as we weren't due to arrive the day of the cruise but the day before, stay overnight in a hotel and board the cruise the following day. If we book the package with the cruise line, all of our cruises that start in the USA or Canada, fly us out the day before with an overnight hotel stay (with the exception of a charter flight cruise).

We didn't make the cruise because there were no flights leaving Heathrow to LA (or to lots of other places) due to the deep snow. Flights didn't get out for days, and by that time there was a horrendous backlog, so we had no chance of picking the ship up anywhere else even if we had wanted to.

We are trying again and are booked onto this cruise this year - YEAH!! - flying out the day before. Just hoping that we don't get the snow again and can enjoy xmas and new year as we should have done 2 years ago!

You folks were the talk of the ship for days. Passengers kept hoping that if you were able to fly to Hawaii, you'll be able to board. But the question of the legality came up. It seemed that those from your country that we did talk to, did manage to leave days early. One couple we talked to on New Years Eve had built in a pre-cruise week in Vegas, so that saved their trip

-- they managed to fly out before the snows fell.

Hopefully that snowstorm a couple of years ago was just a freak storm so you'll be able to have a smooth flight. And hopefully it won't be raining cats and dogs in mid-December in LA like it was that week.

I have never been to Europe, but I think if we finally do that Baltic cruise that's on our dream list (my term for a bucket list), we would go at least a couple of days ahead.

I think the OP will be on tap for the whole fare whether or not they make even a day of the cruise because they're obviously past final payment.

So you're going to fly to Honolulu the day before the ship gets there right?? ;)

Well.........kind of

Remember the old Lucy episode where she misses the ship? Remember how they get her on the ship? :)

Archived