We missed our flight and Princess would not let us join at a later port.

PunkiC

Worst case scenario of not buying an extended warranty at Best Buy is you might be out a big screen TV..worst case scenario of not having cruise insurance could be your life savings and your house if you need Medivac.

While I enjoy hysteria, my regular medical insurance covers me

anywhere I happen to be, including emergency transportation

to a hospital.

Can you explain the Mexican visas? I am not familiar with them.

Glad the trip worked out for you!

Sorry, Coral, but they are a mystery to me as well. I thought that US Citizens could enter Mexico without visas, but they told us we had to pay $47 (total) for Mexican visas and we decided it was easier to just get the visas than argue with them. Maybe it has to do with entering the country by ship. We had enough money left over from our OBC to cover the visas and the limo, so it was all good.

All in all, it was a very interesting experience and I certainly know a whole lot more about the Passenger Services Act now than I did when this all began. :)

Sorry, Coral, but they are a mystery to me as well. I thought that US Citizens could enter Mexico without visas, but they told us we had to pay $47 (total) for Mexican visas and we decided it was easier to just get the visas than argue with them. Maybe it has to do with entering the country by ship. We had enough money left over from our OBC to cover the visas and the limo, so it was all good.

What I see on the Internet

"Nationals of the following countries and jurisdictions do not require a visa to enter Mexico as tourists, visitors in transit or business visitors. Tourists and business visitors can stay in Mexico for up to 180 days. Visitors in transit can stay for up to 30 days." USA and canadaian citizens are included for not needing a visa.

"If you are a green card holder, you will not need a visa to visit Mexico, regardless of citizenship. If you are not a green card holder, you may need a visa. Please consult our Mexico visa page to verify whether you need a visa to Mexico. Please note that if you do require a visa, you will have to apply in person at the nearest Embassy or Consulate of Mexico. VisaHQ.com cannot assist with this process. Cruise ship passengers will be allowed entrance into Mexico without a visa regardless of nationality. "

Not sure if there is a special rule for cruise ship passengers who disembark in Mexico.

I think it may have been the Mexican Tourist Landing card, rather than a visa. Most folks flying in to Mexico pay for it in the cost of the airfare, and since you were a one-off case, it was not included in the cruise fare. Technically, you may not have needed it coming just from Baja, but as you said, it was not worth arguing. And the price matches pretty close to what you paid.

http://gomexico.about.com/od/entryrequirements/f/tourist_card.htm

I think it may have been the Mexican Tourist Landing card, rather than a visa. Most folks flying in to Mexico pay for it in the cost of the airfare, and since you were a one-off case, it was not included in the cruise fare. Technically, you may not have needed it coming just from Baja, but as you said, it was not worth arguing. And the price matches pretty close to what you paid.

http://gomexico.about.com/od/entryrequirements/f/tourist_card.htm

I pulled the papers out and reviewed them and they are definitely referred to as visas in one place, but then as immigration forms in another. Who knows?

They are good for 180 days so I think I will hold on to them and see if they happen to become useful to us in the future. We will be returning to Mexico in February and then maybe again--you never, never know.

When you travel a lot, you have to accept the fact that sometimes "stuff" happens and roll with it.

Sometimes the "stuff" is what makes the trip most memorable. We once flew in to Heathrow on Concorde and were almost immediately met with a massive strike that tied up almost 100,000 people from all over the world for days. That was the bad news. The good news for us was that because we were Concorde passengers, British reimbursed our very expensive stay at the Heathrow Hilton, and while we were stuck hanging out in the Concorde lounge we had amazing food, fabulous company, and ridiculously wonderful Chateau Margaux wine which sold for about $650 a bottle. That was pretty cool. We will never forget that trip.

We also once almost missed the QM2 out of Brooklyn, even though we had flown in the night before. We were staying at the Sheraton in Flushing and had scheduled a flat-rate limo from the hotel to the pier--thank God for that. It would have cost a fortune had we taken a taxi. The concierge anticipated the trip would take somewhere between 30 and 60 minutes, depending on traffic. It took 3.5 hours and we had to run like crazy to make the ship. We still laugh about that.

I agree with you, seadeck2, flying up and down the West Coast is usually a piece of cake, presenting almost no problems whatsoever, so we usually fly into Long Beach on the day of flight. Most times you win, but sometimes you lose. Stuff happens. :p I have learned a lot and have actually enjoyed this experience even while it was happening. I am certain it will make even better memories, even before the cruise (for us) begins.

You just never, never know what will happen when you travel. :)

Nice to know there are still people out there who can roll with the punches without all the moaning and groaning some do with only the smallest of inconveniences. :rolleyes:

I pulled the papers out and reviewed them and they are definitely referred to as visas in one place, but then as immigration forms in another. Who knows?

They are good for 180 days so I think I will hold on to them and see if they happen to become useful to us in the future. We will be returning to Mexico in February and then maybe again--you never, never know.

Hi Punki,

Having lived in Mexico for a number of years, I can explain. What you were issued is a tourist visa...usually $20 per person and good for 6 months. Technically, anyone who stays in Mexico for more than 72 hours is required to have one....but it is rarely enforced.

someone brought up alaska. summer 2005, inside passage r/t from seattle. paid for a mini-suite for my parents, nice child that i am. got to the terminal, dad doesn't have a visa for canada. he's not a US citizen. or a canadian. it's saturday so the canadian embassy is closed. they joined us in juneau. big fat fee, i think it was the passenger services act and i've mostly blocked it from memory :eek:. but at least princess let them join at juneau. don't know if they've changed their policies since.

The Passenger Service Act has been in effect for something like 150 years and nowadays affects airlines more than ships, but it still affects cruise ships.

Embarking in Juneau and disembarking in Seattle is a clear violation of the Act and automatically incurs a fine of $300 per person, which I am sure was passed on to your parents. They could have avoided the fee by disembarking in Victoria, which would have exempted their voyage from the Act.

We had also considered just paying the fine and disembarking at LAX but were told that this reflects poorly on the cruise line and flags them for closer inspection. Since disembarking in Mexico was cheaper (even after hiring the limo) and less hassle, we chose that route.

You will also be charged the fine if you disembark early on a round-trip domestic cruise, but they can't stop you from leaving the ship if that is what you choose to do. This usually happens in the case of family emergencies.

I just noticed this post and wanted to add my thoughts. In December 2009, my parents were scheduled to fly out of NY for the Christmas/New Years cruise on the Golden to Hawaii. That was the year they had terrible snowstorms that shut down the entire east coast for several days and my parents missed the ship. American Airlines ended up flying them to HIlo where they boarded the ship and completed the cruise disembarking in Los Angeles. Many people miised the ship but my parents were fortunate to have most of their vacation with us,

Maybe an exception to the PSA or the Jones Act was made to allow people to board the ship because of the extreme weather, but aside from that I see no difference with what happened to my parents and to the OP

Our delayed boarding in Honolulu was a piece of cake. They checked our passports and boarding passes as we went through security with the rest of the passengers returning to the ship, and we then proceeded to the boarding ramp. The agent at the ramp took our pictures with her hand-held machine, a ship's officer came down to the ramp with our cruise cards, helped us to our room with our luggage, and our cruise began.

We were disappointed that we were too late to get into the ukulele and hula classes, as that was a high point of the cruise for many people, but we had a good time and the staff on the ship were very accommodating in every way.

We had to hook up with the Mexican customs people in the Crown Grill at 3:30 p.m. to arrange our departure in Ensenada. Again a staff member came to our cabin and helped us with our luggage. We filled out our paper work, paid for our Mexican visas and the Mexican officials checked out luggage. Well they didn't really check it, but had the opportunity to do so had they so chosen. The Princess officer then helped us take our luggage to the purser's desk for storage while we went up and ate our farewell meal in the Horizon Court.

We then disembarked, took the shuttle to the main gate of the port, where we were met by our limo driver, who was truly amazing. Honestly, prior to our embarkation, the transportation from Esenada to San Diego was my biggest concern--one hears such crazy stories about Mexico these day. The trip, however, was safe and comfortable, taking the toll road the entire way.

Our San Diego-based driver had a Sentri pass for the border, so we got out of the car at the border, walked across with our luggage and met him on the other side. The whole border process took less than 15 minutes for both us and the driver at the airport crossing point. DH and I both had our US Passport Cards, which put us into the "Rapid Card" line, as opposed to the very long and slow line which everyone else had to join. Note to self: Nevery leave home without your Passport Card. :)

All in all it was a very educational, rewarding and positive experience. Of course we would have preferred the extra sea days, but overall we made some pretty good lemonade. ;)

Aloha PunkiC,

It is such a delight to read of your "adventures" with such a positive attitude. I am glad it all worked out for you. Care to try this again? We (the Golden) will be leaving LA on February 13, 2013 and would love to have you join us. Best Hawaiiana duo on board.

I, for one, am ready to do away with the Jones Act so that cruise ships can freely move between the islands and California.

Renee (displaced local gal)

They could have avoided the fee by disembarking in Victoria, which would have exempted their voyage from the Act.

Except they would not have been allowed to leave the ship in Canada.

dad doesn't have a visa for canada. he's not a US citizen. or a canadian.

The Passenger Service Act has been in effect for something like 150 years and nowadays affects airlines more than ships, but it still affects cruise ships.

Embarking in Juneau and disembarking in Seattle is a clear violation of the Act and automatically incurs a fine of $300 per person, which I am sure was passed on to your parents. They could have avoided the fee by disembarking in Victoria, which would have exempted their voyage from the Act.

We had also considered just paying the fine and disembarking at LAX but were told that this reflects poorly on the cruise line and flags them for closer inspection. Since disembarking in Mexico was cheaper (even after hiring the limo) and less hassle, we chose that route.

You will also be charged the fine if you disembark early on a round-trip domestic cruise, but they can't stop you from leaving the ship if that is what you choose to do. This usually happens in the case of family emergencies.

well, um, actually the fine was paid by his nice daughter who was paying for their trip. i don't remember princess even informing us of the fee, it showed up on the final bill. by the time they joined us in juneau they had obtained a canadian visa so they could have disembarked victoria and saved me the 900$ but again, we didn't even know of the fee until it showed up on the bill!

thing that was uh, frustrating was that my parents are actually very well traveled. someone later let it slip that dear ol' dad had done the same thing on their european cruise...i think it was morocco where he didn't have a visa and they dealt w. it by having him not get off the ship at that port. but that was not an option w. the alaskan cruise, something about being in canadian waters.

anyway, i'm glad you were able to have your adventure despite the rather stressful start to it :)

I just noticed this post and wanted to add my thoughts. In December 2009, my parents were scheduled to fly out of NY for the Christmas/New Years cruise on the Golden to Hawaii. That was the year they had terrible snowstorms that shut down the entire east coast for several days and my parents missed the ship. American Airlines ended up flying them to HIlo where they boarded the ship and completed the cruise disembarking in Los Angeles. Many people miised the ship but my parents were fortunate to have most of their vacation with us,

Maybe an exception to the PSA or the Jones Act was made to allow people to board the ship because of the extreme weather, but aside from that I see no difference with what happened to my parents and to the OP

Yes, in the event of flights cancelled by extreme weather, exceptions can be made.

Renee, I would do it again in a heartbeat, but we are already scheduled for another cruise in February. The biggest disappointment of our delay was the fact that we were too late to participate in the hula and ukulele classes.

Eula do such a fantastic job of enhancing the Hawaiian experience. Too bad they can't clone them for all of the Hawaii cruises.

Archived