The Snootiest Ship in the DAM fleet!!

IRL_Joanie

Thank you Jade. I'm getting surgery for it in 2013. It took close to a year to see the surgeon. I don't want to have the surgery during the winter so I will be placed on the waiting list at the end of Jan. Health care is VERY slow in Calgary and most of Canada. I'm glad to hear the surgery was quick. I hope the recovery is too. I'm quite worried about it but I really don't want to go on with the way it feels now.

Sorry for the thread drift.

I am sure I have to be missing something but if a doctor was afraid that a patient would run out of a tube of cream on a cruise, would they not just prescribe some extra to tide the patient over rather than advise against going on the cruise?

Joanie, I always enjoy your reviews and your enthusiasm. But perhaps in future it should be more about the cruise and less about your medical condition(s).

After the negatives you posted about the ship/crew not handling your disability in the right manner (which is, I believe, what drew all the criticism), I still find it too much of a stretch to define "against doctors orders" as opposed to "against my doctors advice", and after saying you had a broken back that it was your dermatologist who advised against taking the cruise because of the possibility of running out of ointment:confused:.

I'm speaking more about the part where Joanie said that she had to go through part of the galley to get to the drill. This is what I am speaking about. I don't really understand it because I haven't booked one of those cabins. When I originally tore my menicus in 2008 I got a wake up call as to how difficult it was for handicaped people to get around. Because it's healed to a certain degree it doesn't keep me from doing a lot but it was a huge pain and one I haven't forgotten about. I think sometimes people aren't as understanding as they could be because they haven't been in the situation. I am not speaking of you. Maybe there is something I'm not understanding about her post. I still think that HAL failed in it's communication. Why didn't they just come out and tell her good luck with that instead of leading her on to believe there would be some assistance?

I hear you, that is such a painful injury. As for the communication in Joanie's case, I guess we are all reading between the lines as we really have no idea what HAL's side is, and possibily Joanie misunderstood. They do not normally send a crew member to the cabin to get someone for the drill and especially not the lifeboat captain.

At least we have all become more aware, and it seems most of us have been researching more on HAL's website, so that's one positive that has come out of this thread;)

If I guess the reason, will you tell me?

1. The website cruise contract is different from the final document cruise contract due to an oversight by Holland America.

2. The website cruise contract is different from the final document cruise contract to help litigators rake in the big bucks by having one more thing to argue about in court.

3. The website cruise contract is different from the final document cruise contract because Holland America does not want you to know all the facts until it is too late to cancel your cruise without penalty.

The website's cruise contract follows. You will find nothing about the emergency drill.

The scroll wheel on my mouse...Just turned to dust:eek: Thanks a bunch

Thank you Jade. I'm getting surgery for it in 2013. It took close to a year to see the surgeon. I don't want to have the surgery during the winter so I will be placed on the waiting list at the end of Jan. Health care is VERY slow in Calgary and most of Canada. I'm glad to hear the surgery was quick. I hope the recovery is too. I'm quite worried about it but I really don't want to go on with the way it feels now.

Sorry for the thread drift.

OT, good for you. I saw 6 health care providers before I found the right surgeon. It was really sore for about 4 days and I worked from home for a week, but felt like new within about 2 weeks. You should be pleased with the results.

OT, good for you. I saw 6 health care providers before I found the right surgeon. It was really sore for about 4 days and I worked from home for a week, but felt like new within about 2 weeks. You should be pleased with the results.

We'd be hooped if we did that in Calgary:D. We are crazy short of doctors but I feel mine is competent. Great info about the healing time and I appreciate you posting about it.

Just going to post to this thread this one last time!!

FOR THE RECORD;

NO WHERE in my original post, nor since then, have I stated that I went on these cruises against Doctors Orders!!!!

I stated that I went: QUOTE "against my doctors advice" UNQUOTE

I did not state which of my doctors said this, nor is it anyone's business, but for the record it was my Dermatologist who advised me because she was afraid I might run out of my Anti Itch Cream (Betamethasone Dipropionate and my Atarax (Which I did not run out of.)

Joanie

I don't understand the differance, but fyi I hope you do not stop posting.

My only comment was that I thought anyone with any HC issues was required to be onboard with a caregiver (in this case it would be your husband) as far as getting around the ship.

Unfortunately, when we post in a forum, we don't get to pick and choose what responses we get. Perhaps if we don't want a response to our reviews (and yes, I am including myself on this), the review should be posted in the reviews section of Cruise Critic, not on a specific forum.

I do not post reviews period because I don't want to be eaten alive. I'm going to post good and bad and I don't think that works for some here. If I need agravation I can go to work:D.

<snip>

At least we have all become more aware, and it seems most of us have been researching more on HAL's website, so that's one positive that has come out of this thread;)

I agree. I just wish some folks wouldn't be so toxic and make assumptions such as it being more important to go to a M&G than a safety drill. To me, that's just wrong but maybe that just me.

I agree. I just wish some folks wouldn't be so toxic and make assumptions such as it being more important to go to a M&G than a safety drill. To me, that's just wrong but maybe that just me.

Is it really being toxic to think a safety drill is more important than a M&G??? On the whole I think almost all posters have been very reserved in their responses...I could go on and on re the inconsistencies in Joanie's statements..but no need to rehash it all again...it has pretty much all been said!!!

I am sure I have to be missing something but if a doctor was afraid that a patient would run out of a tube of cream on a cruise, would they not just prescribe some extra to tide the patient over rather than advise against going on the cruise?

Of course any doctor would prescribe more of a medication so one could go on a planned vacation and not run out. And any pharmacist can arrange with. all insurance companies for any extra "vacation prescription refill" before you leave home if you might run out while away from home. Pharmacists do this all the time without having to consult the doctor. Sorry, I don't believe a word of this about the dermatologist advising not to go because of a skin cream.

Of course any doctor would prescribe more of a medication so one could go on a planned vacation and not run out. And any pharmacist can arrange with. all insurance companies for any extra "vacation prescription refill" before you leave home if you might run out while away from home. Pharmacists do this all the time without having to consult the doctor. Sorry, I don't believe a word of this about the dermatologist advising not to go because of a skin cream.

Neither do I, peaches (believe the dermatologist story).

My pharmacy gives me a 3 month supply of prescriptions this time of year for our upcoming cruises.

I'll add that I've been a member here for almost 7 years...and don't recall such an "unusual" thread.

Sorry, I don't believe a word of this about the dermatologist advising not to go because of a skin cream.

The longer it goes, the stranger this thread is getting ... Hard to believe anything anymore :cool:

Is it really being toxic to think a safety drill is more important than a M&G??? On the whole I think almost all posters have been very reserved in their responses...I could go on and on re the inconsistencies in Joanie's statements..but no need to rehash it all again...it has pretty much all been said!!!

What????? That's not what I said, and that is the problem. People reading something else then what was written. I said that a poster accused Joanie of making the M&G more important then the safety drill. Totally different then what you said. Hope you are able to understand on the second go around.

Can we all get on with the rest of our lives here ... before we all run out of cream or some other affliction not covered by the HAL contract... :eek:

Who is stopping you from going on with your life:confused:. It's a choice to read a thread or has something changed here?

Just going to post to this thread this one last time!!

FOR THE RECORD;

NO WHERE in my original post, nor since then, have I stated that I went on these cruises against Doctors Orders!!!!

I stated that I went: QUOTE "against my doctors advice" UNQUOTE

I did not state which of my doctors said this, nor is it anyone's business, but for the record it was my Dermatologist who advised me because she was afraid I might run out of my Anti Itch Cream (Betamethasone Dipropionate and my Atarax (Which I did not run out of.)

My Orthopedist and Primary Care Physician both thought this was an excellent chance for me to get away from it all and that JUST POSSIBLY the warmer climate and higher humidity might just help my acute dermatitis problem(s)!! And they were right!!!

So, instead of sitting in judgement as to someone's ability or capability of cruising, ask before you jump to conclusions.

I will not post another review of any ship since a few of CC's members have decided to sit in judgement and I do not feel like being ripped to shreds again.

My thanks to those few of you who understood what I said and did not read into the review what you wanted to, but what I actually wrote:)

All I ask this one time is that you think before you post......I know I will!!

Joanie

Joanie

I picked up on the "advice" as opposed to "against" doctors orders in your first post but was afraid to mention as I thought I would be pummeled as I have not cruised HAL yet. I am amazed that someone with your history on this board has been treated in this fashion and I will have to re-evaluate if HAL would be a good fit for my family. Best wishes in the future.

Cheers

Christine

Joanie

I picked up on the "advice" as opposed to "against" doctors orders in your first post but was afraid to mention as I thought I would be pummeled as I have not cruised HAL yet. I am amazed that someone with your history on this board has been treated in this fashion and I will have to re-evaluate if HAL would be a good fit for my family. Best wishes in the future.

Cheers

Christine

I'm amazed too. Please don't let some posters deter you from trying HAL. It really is a good cruise line.

My pharmacy gives me a 3 month supply of prescriptions this time of year for our upcoming cruises.

I'll add that I've been a member here for almost 7 years...and don't recall such an "unusual" thread.

Not every medication SHOULD be re-prescribed without a doctor's visit, and possibly lab tests.

I'm simply amazed at some of the comments that some have made on here. Wow, really hurtful. If you don't believe it so be it. Being outright nasty is another.

I too am amazed at how much some people THINK they know, and how they feel that gives them carte blanche to say whatever....

Not every medication SHOULD be re-prescribed without a doctor's visit, and possibly lab tests.

However, neither of these medications falls in that category.

There appears to be some "history" amongst the posters.

I don't have a dog in this fight, as the old saying goes.

As someone who isn't actively involved in the forum, and without much knowledge about the posters, I can only tell you how I interpreted what has been presented.

The way I read it was, when Joanie wanted to emphasize how debilitated she is, she included the section about "against doctor's wishes", without saying it was her dermatologist. When others picked up on this, and suggested that, if that was the case, she shouldn't be on the cruise at all, she further elucidated. The problem then became that the reader feels that he/she may have been mislead... the doctor's advice is presented as an indication of the severity of the illness, but later is minimized.

At that point, the reader feels that, perhaps, he/she doesn't have all the relevant information, and therefore cannot draw conclusions about whether or not the cruiseline dropped the ball or not.

Just how I am reading this.

However, neither of these medications falls in that category.

There appears to be some "history" amongst the posters.

I don't have a dog in this fight, as the old saying goes.

As someone who isn't actively involved in the forum, and without much knowledge about the posters, I can only tell you how I interpreted what has been presented.

The way I read it was, when Joanie wanted to emphasize how debilitated she is, she included the section about "against doctor's wishes", without saying it was her dermatologist. When others picked up on this, and suggested that, if that was the case, she shouldn't be on the cruise at all, she further elucidated. The problem then became that the reader feels that he/she may have been mislead... the doctor's advice is presented as an indication of the severity of the illness, but later is minimized.

At that point, the reader feels that, perhaps, he/she doesn't have all the relevant information, and therefore cannot draw conclusions about whether or not the cruiseline dropped the ball or not.

Just how I am reading this.

That pretty much sums it up, and I think just about all posters who were critical were responding to the facts as posted by Joanie. And her second posting actually made things worse. As to her "history" on the boards, most of those who were critical have even more history and experience with HAL so found it hard believe all that was alleged - in my case, the words that were put into the mind of the crew member (check the first posting). That was quite offensive. But I didn't respond until I found myself being drawn in to this really peculiar thread, and became part of the problem. It's been like watching a train wreck at times.

Archived