The Snootiest Ship in the DAM fleet!!

IRL_Joanie

whogo: Since you are so concerned with the specifics of the contract itself, here's a quote from page 2 of the cruise contract:The lifeboat drill, safety drill, passenger emergency drill, or whatever else you want to call it, is not an activity. If you follow your own link in post 196 you will not find this drill on the activity list. An example of 'activity' would be trivia, bingo, Digital Workshop, golf putting or a hairy legs contest. Surely you know the difference?

Thanks, Candy. I have to think that whogo was "pulling our collective legs" and must know that it is not an activity!

I am just pointing out contradictions in the information that HAL provides.

I am not stupid enough to miss the life boat drill, but in all honesty I have gained nothing new from the activity in years. I always know where my lifeboat station is and how to get there. I hope that fellow passengers and the crew gain more from it than I do. In an actual emergency the seas may be rough, the weather foul, and it won't be anything like the drill. Imagine getting a motorized scooter onto the promenade deck in heavy seas!

If I have gained one thing from this thread it is the conviction that we will no longer cruise should one of us become unable to get around easily.

Until now I always thought it was wonderful that so many disabled persons are able to cruise. I now think that ”able" and "should" are two different considerations.

I am not stupid enough to miss the life boat drill, but in all honesty I have gained nothing new from the activity in years. I always know where my lifeboat station is and how to get there. I hope that fellow passengers and the crew gain more from it than I do. In an actual emergency the seas may be rough, the weather foul, and it won't be anything like the drill. Imagine getting a motorized scooter onto the promenade deck in heavy seas!

With that logic...Why have policeman and fireman repeat the same drills over and over? Why have schools have fire drills?SMH

With that logic...Why have policeman and fireman repeat the same drills over and over? Why have schools have fire drills?SMH

I was thinking the same thing in regard to crew drilling again and again, week after week. We have never been on any cruise where there wasn't at least one crew drill of one sort or another and almost always more than that which we SAW/KNEW about. There are plenty done below deck etc that we don't know are being done.

If I have gained one thing from this thread it is the conviction that we will no longer cruise should one of us become unable to get around easily.

Until now I always thought it was wonderful that so many disabled persons are able to cruise. I now think that ”able" and "should" are two different considerations.

A lot of people are speaking for HAL on here. As far as I know, none of us work for HAL. If HAL is not prepared to help anyone in any way they should be a lot more careful who they sell cruises to. That should also mean that anyone that need any type of assistance shouldn`t be sold a cruise because they may need help at some point.

There really are two problems here.

1) ... various people on HAL gave the OP conflicting information. I think that is a given... and HAL needs to be sure that everyone is on the same page as far as boat drill information is concerned. HAL staff did not do well on that score.

2) ... the other issue is how much help one can reasonably expect from HAL if one is disabled. The information on traveling with a caregiver who is able to assist you is very clear. Now, in a real emergency, there is no telling if a caregiver is going to be standing next to you .... and there is also no way of knowing that a staff member (who probably has other assigned duties) would be able to reach you, so each person has to think this one through themselves. Can I get myself in the direction of the boat station if need be? I am sure that in an emergency there are people in the lobbies and near the exits to assist. But obviusly the scene is going to be chaotic. Also, remember in a real emergency when you have been ordered to boat stations, the crew will be checking the cabins. And, if you have not read about it, read about the fire on the Princendam.... it will tell you a lot about not only what was done then, but about changes in procedures resulting from that incident.

Susan

Who hopes always that drills are just that and never wants to see the real thing.

I don't believe your room attendant is also trained as a medical practioner. I have to agree with the could versus should comment about considering when to hang up your cruise buttons.

I agree that wouldn't want to put myself, my husband or my fellow passengers and the crew in danger if I had exceptional needs if an emergency evacuation did happen. I know that I can now climb up and down a ladder with little or no help but will closely consider my capabilities and limitations as my years continue to progress. It made me realize that the other passenger's efficient evacuation would be jeopardized if I needed a great deal of help. It would take 3-4 strong men to help some people who are limited in a wheelchair.

One needs to keep in mind, IMO, this whole conversation has taken place without any official HAL comment. We are getting the guest's view of the situation but not anything from HAL crew who were involved. We all know there are three sides to every story.

AND NO, I never would expect HAL would comment on an internet message board but I think it important a lot of words have been put in the 'mouth of HAL' but none of us were there to observe.

JMO.....

The Nieuw Amsterdam is a Snooty Ship!!! From the ship itself to the Captain and most of the crew it exudes snootiness, with a couple of exceptions

It was like the ship and the people manning her thought themselves above all others and had their noses in the air (if a ship can have its' nose in the air), As an example, once hubby thanked an one of the crew who wa polishing omething for doing a great job in what he and others did to keep all of us, the guests, happy and thankful, that young man looked back at my hubby and gave him a look as if to say *What the Hades else do you expect? Weare the best and you are nothing to me." This seemed to be typical on the Nieuw Amsterdam....

I will not say never will I sail on her again, but will say that I will do my best to avoid this SNOOTY ship!!! I Hope y'all understand what I mean as I cannot explain it any better.

Sorry to hear that. I haven't seen any glowing reviews of this ship. That is sad because I wanted to cruise on her, but not seeing any rave reviews.

Do you think the issues are due to staff cutbacks?

Prior to Sail Away from Port Everglades I called the Neptune Lounge and asked to meet with my Life Boat Captain in order to show how nearly impossible it was for me in my scooter and broken back to get to the Drill. The young Lady, forgot her name sorry, called me about 5 minutes later and told me that since I had been on 9 cruise s with HAL previously, did not have to attend the drill, but also asked that I re-familiarize myself with the drill via the TV and the Life Vests themselves, which I did. Hubby also told the Crew Member (Lifeboat Captain?? and he told him he'd already been notified and not to worry.) Apparently, the Staff Captain decided that my ailments were not good enough and I received a letter the next morning directing me to a 5:00 pm Make Up Drill on the Promenade Deck under Life Boat 1 and that if I was not there I would be put off the ship at the next port........I called our concierge and talked to Gilbert and he arranged for a Crew Member to come and get me in a Ship manual wheelchair and take me to the drill. He said I was to stay in my stateroom and the crew member would get me at a little before 5 pm....NOT!!!!!!! 5 pm came and went (along with the AC) and no one came except Gilbert who was coming to check our AC problem (Which also affect ALL of the Aft Wrap Staterooms.) When he saw I was still waiting he called his supervisor and THEY made sure I got to the Drill. Even with the Wheel Chair it took 3 crew members to get me over that freaking arch that separates the inside from the promenade. BUT I made it!!

Moral is: Crew does not communicate and I will get as close as possible to my station and sit there and wait until someone notices me and assists me in getting out there. This is not only my problem but also the problem of most of us who are in wheel chairs and scooters......I will no longer assume that a crew member will be there in an emergency situation on the Nieuw Amsterdam:(

Where was your DH? Maybe I missed something, but I thought it was a requirement to be able to get to these drills, even if it meant the assistance of a caregiver that was traveling with you.

Pre-Cruise:

We arrived in Ft Lauderdale on Thanksgiving Day, 22 November 2012, 3 days before our cruise date of 25 November because we decided (1) The flights on South West Airlines were cheap. (2) We wanted to start our cruise mode early. *As an aside, we rented a car for usage during our extra days in Ft Lauderdale.*

We had Thanksgiving dinner at Lester's (I'd called them months ago to make sure they would be open. The food is absolutely some of the best I have ever eaten!!

Embarkation:

Embarkation was so smooth and impressed me more this time than any other. We were at the Port by 10:30 and on board the ship in what seemed like 10 minutes, but I know it cannot have been because they don't open the ship until 11:30, right? And I had to pick up my Scooter at the Special Needs at Sea Kiosk in front of the Terminal......

Budi our Room Steward met me as I started to enter my cabin and took care of me the entire cruise!! His work taking care of me was awesome and I loved his attention!!!! About 1/2 way into the cruise Budi told me he liked doing things for me as he missed his mother and family and helping me made it easier on him, which made me feel like some one special. I must add here that I went on this cruise against my doctors advice. I have a multitude of health problems that have cropped up on me since May 2012, to include a Compression fracture of the T7 vertebrae (Thoracic spine), which translates to a broken back, Buerger's Disease and 2 major allergies going on that meant taking heavy doses of prednisone over a 6 month time frame, which also caused many more problems, to include forcing me to use oxygen 24/7, which was a good thing because I did not smoke 99.99% of the time. I still am smoking very little and rally do not miss them at all (well rarely).....Needless to say, I was hard pressed to get out of my stateroom and verandah and roam the ship. For me the ship is the reason I cruise, I can vegetate and do not have to worry about anything!!

Maybe I'm missing something here. I don't understand why Joanie couldn't just get to where the crew is waiting inside the lobby, across from the elevators and before you go out those doors. If she got there, someone would have helped her. It seems she was able to fly to Ft. Lauderdale and to go out to a restaurant there. Please tell me what it is I'm missing here?

DW and I have discussed this many times. I am in complete agreement with your post.

Sorry to hear that. I haven't seen any glowing reviews of this ship. That is sad because I wanted to cruise on her, but not seeing any rave reviews.

Do you think the issues are due to staff cutbacks?

I'm not Joanie but I was on her cruise plus the week before. I was on the N.A in February and it was wonderful! This cruise was really different. While there were some people that were wonderful, I would say 75% would fall in the mediocre to poor range. It just seemed to be off. I would sail on the N.A again but I hope it will be more like my first experience.

There is no contradiction. You just stopped reading when you decided you had what you wanted.

Better yet, read item #6 in the contract, then refuse to go to the drill and see how it works out. Post back here on whatever island they put you off on. ;)

For Whogo... the following is an excerpt from all contracts when you print your docs. The bolding is mine.

Guest Emergency Drill

A Guest Emergency Drill will take place before the ship leaves

the dock in the port of embarkation, so that guests know

where to go and what to do if an alarm is sounded. During this

drill, guests will be provided clear instructions to follow in the

event of an emergency, including the location of their muster

stations, essential actions to take in an emergency, and how

to put on a life jacket. This drill is mandatory for all guests

and non-attendance may result in disembarkation. A guest

safety video is available for viewing on the guest channel of the

in-suite television from the start of embarkation until 24 hours

after departure.

For Whogo... the following is an excerpt from all contracts when you print your docs. The bolding is mine.

Guest Emergency Drill

A Guest Emergency Drill will take place before the ship leaves

the dock in the port of embarkation, so that guests know

where to go and what to do if an alarm is sounded. During this

drill, guests will be provided clear instructions to follow in the

event of an emergency, including the location of their muster

stations, essential actions to take in an emergency, and how

to put on a life jacket. This drill is mandatory for all guests

and non-attendance may result in disembarkation. A guest

safety video is available for viewing on the guest channel of the

in-suite television from the start of embarkation until 24 hours

after departure.

Thank you. Why would your copy of the contract be different from the contract on the website? [ http://www.hollandamerica.com/legalAndPrivacy/Main.action?tabName=Cruise/Cruisetour%20Contract# ] Why would your copy only be available when you print your documents? Isn't that a little to decide whether you want to abide by the contract's terms?

The proverbial "Apples And Oranges" comparison.:confused:

Oh DEFINATELY apples and oranges, what I meant is that is is expensive, (about the same rate) and I am sure IRLJoanie did not expect to get medical care for that rate. She only expected communication.

So therefore, I guess what I meant to say, is for that rate, communication and a cohesive plan would be in order.

We all know HAL (no matter how much I love them) has a major communication issue. This, and a cohesive plan is what I think everyone should be after.

IRL Joanie's choice to go on that was her own, and I do not blame her. Id rather be on a Dam Ship on any Dam day. LOL. That was her choice, her perogative.

But the bottom line is from HAL we all need: communication, a cohesive plan of action and an unobstructed escape route to the drill/lifeboats that anyone can get to, is what's needed...

Sorry if my post did not make much sense. I was just thinking, hey thats about what she paid! She deserved good service absolutely (communication and such). I did not think ever for a HOT MINUTE that she wanted medical care.

For that she would just go to the medical office, and there are no crazy door lips, so she could get there just fine. :)

Archived