The Snootiest Ship in the DAM fleet!!

IRL_Joanie

That pretty much sums it up, and I think just about all posters who were critical were responding to the facts as posted by Joanie. And her second posting actually made things worse. As to her "history" on the boards, most of those who were critical have even more history and experience with HAL so found it hard believe all that was alleged - in my case, the words that were put into the mind of the crew member (check the first posting). That was quite offensive. But I didn't respond until I found myself being drawn in to this really peculiar thread, and became part of the problem. It's been like watching a train wreck at times.

With all due respect some of the crew on this cruise was not what I would describe as stellar. I had one server in the lido talk to me in a manner that was very offensive. I found a lot of the staff to be VERY cold. I have cruised with HAL 250 plus days and I've never seen this before. Generally when you walk down the hallways staff will greet you. Not on this cruise. While some of the staff was really wonderful, I would have to say most were not. I found that this was totally different then it was on the N.A. in February. That seemed like a happy ship.

With all due respect some of the crew on this cruise was not what I would describe as stellar. I had one server in the lido talk to me in a manner that was very offensive. I found a lot of the staff to be VERY cold. I have cruised with HAL 250 plus days and I've never seen this before. Generally when you walk down the hallways staff will greet you. Not on this cruise. While some of the staff was really wonderful, I would have to say most were not. I found that this was totally different then it was on the N.A. in February. That seemed like a happy ship.

I don't doubt you. You've been on loads of cruises. Who knows,weird vibe,an off trip? No excuses though,being friendly is part of their job.

But to read of crew looking at people and (cruiser Kreskin knowing what their thinking) and coming up with 'You're Nothing...We're Better Than You" is a really looooooooooong stretch of the imagination.

<snip>

But to read of crew looking at people and (cruiser Kreskin knowing what their thinking) and coming up with 'You're Nothing...We're Better Than You" is a really looooooooooong stretch of the imagination.

Maybe so, but sometimes some people look at you and it makes you wonder what you did to them. They may be upset about family matters etc. or something else so I do understand the comment although others clearly don't. I do want people to understand that the staff for the most part seemed unhappy and I don't recall getting that vibe on any ship before.

Lorene is right about the indifferent staff attitude on this cruise. With the exception of the two wonderful cabana attendants we had, there was no one to write home about. They were all just going through the motions. I did not experience any rudeness to complain about but no stellar service outside of the aforementioned cabana attendants.

It did not take away from our enjoyment of the cruise but it did not add anything either.

Lorene is right about the indifferent staff attitude on this cruise. With the exception of the two wonderful cabana attendants we had, there was no one to write home about. They were all just going through the motions. I did not experience any rudeness to complain about but no stellar service outside of the aforementioned cabana attendants.

It did not take away from our enjoyment of the cruise but it did not add anything either.

I really liked my cabana stewards too. They were very nice! That was a wonderful experience all around except for trying to actually get the cabana:D.

That's really sad when you consider that it's the crews that often bring us back to HAL because of the impeccable and willing service. I wonder what has gone wrong to make this particular ship an "unhappy ship".

That's really sad when you consider that it's the crews that often bring us back to HAL because of the impeccable and willing service. I wonder what has gone wrong to make this particular ship an "unhappy ship".

I wonder as well, because when we sailed on the same ship for 27 days in April of last year the crew was outstanding.

I wonder as well, because when we sailed on the same ship for 27 days in April of last year the crew was outstanding.

The crew was also o/s in February 2012. This is what is so shocking to me. Like night and day. I'll be interested to see what the Noordam will be like in Feb. I'm expecting it to be like "normal" for HAL.

I am surprised by this. It was not the case in October and November, we found it to be a friendly ship. During the last 2 Med cruises as well as during the Trans Atlantic we found all staff to be friendly and greet us in the halls.

There must have been a very large staff turnaround when the ship arrived in Ft. Lauderdale after the TA. It is amazing how people's cruise experiences can vary!

It is amazing how people's cruise experiences can vary!

That is true, but there were several folks who thought the same thing on that cruise so I don`t think it was just one persons perception. I don`t know what happened in that time frame but it had to be something fairly major.

Did senior Officers change?

New Hotel Manager?

New Culinary Operations Manager?

etc

From my cruise log:

Feb 2012

Captain - Edward G van Zaane

Chief Officer - Jochem Bakker

Guest Relation Mgr - Annabel Sualog

Hotel Manager - Stan Kuppens

Nov 2012

Captain - Vincent Smit

Staff Captain - Frank van der Hoeven

Guest Relation Mgr - Jody Becker

Hotel Manager - Don Habets

So it's all different upper management from February. I wonder if Localady has info from her cruise.

From my cruise log:

Feb 2012

Nov 2012

Captain - Vincent Smit

So it's all different upper management from February. I wonder if Localady has info from her cruise.

October 2012

Captain- Vincent Smit

Staff Captain- Rens van Eerten

Guest Relation Mgr- Jody Becker

Hotel Director- Marco van Bellinghem

From my cruise log:

Feb 2012

Nov 2012

Captain - Vincent Smit

October 2012

Captain- Vincent Smit

Staff Captain- Rens van Eerten

Guest Relation Mgr- Jody Becker

Hotel Director- Marco van Bellinghem

Interesting there are three sets of Senior Officers for this ship.

Wonder if relevant to this conversation or not? Some I've never met and others (such as Stan Kuppens and Anabel ) are Wonderful!!!). I usually don't like singly out some for praise but in this case I simply don't know the others except for Captain van Zaane (slightly). Seeing Stan Kuppens has been take out Hotel Manager for the last three ships, it is very safe he is high on the list of the best Hotel Directors HAL has.

I'll be interested to see what the Noordam will be like in Feb. I'm expecting it to be like "normal" for HAL.

We thought the staff and crew on the Noordam a few weeks ago were just delightful, but we don't have any HAL ships to compare the Noordam to.

We thought the staff and crew on the Noordam a few weeks ago were just delightful, but we don't have any HAL ships to compare the Noordam to.

You seem to agree with many of us who think Noordam one of HAL's best ships in the Fleet. :)

We love others as well but Noordam is high on lots of our lists.

You seem to agree with many of us who think Noordam one of HAL's best ships in the Fleet. :)

We love others as well but Noordam is high on lots of our lists.

The Noordam is a beautiful ship. I truly hope they don't ruin her trying to turn her into a Signature class ship. :eek:

Good to hear the positive comments about the Noordam. I'm really looking forward to my cruise in Feb. My first cruise with HAL was on the "old" Noordam in 1984. I'm thinking it might be a little different;):D.

Our first cruise with HAL was also on Noordam III. :)

Noordam IV is VERY different. She's a truly beautiful ship. Whatever mistakes they may have made in her three sisters, were corrected when Noordam was built.

Hope you enjoy her as much as we do.

Noordam IV is VERY different. She's a truly beautiful ship. Whatever mistakes they may have made in her three sisters, were corrected when Noordam was built.

So, now HAL has made plans to go back and add some of those mistakes in. :rolleyes:

Archived