I really want to be excited...

noche_caliente

but I'm not. We have a cruise on Gem planned for June 8th to the Bahamas and Florida. We're celebrating our 10th anniversary on 6/14, and my son's 8th birthday on 6/9. There are four of us all together, including my 2, almost 3 year old daughter. We're booked in one of the forward penthouse suites overlooking the bow. That is the one thing I think I'm looking forward to on the cruise... no, I take that back, sailing out of New York should be pretty awesome too. Things I'm not excited about are:

When we booked the cruise forever ago, 2 year olds were allowed in the kid's program... now they're not.

Going to Port Canaveral (though my son is excited for a chance to go back to Cape Canaveral)

Going to Nassau

We won't know anyone on board :( Our roll call only has one other family posting on it,

I'm used to being super excited about a cruise for months before it's time to go, but with this one, I'm not. I don't really know what to do to get into it, and we're thinking about cancelling. Anyone have anything that can help us get excited?

Good heavens! You've got 6 months to wait. Don't stress about not being excited....get through the holidays, get through the rest of the school year, look forward to Easter and Springtime first.

You have the best area to enjoy the ship! If you don't like Nassau don't get off the ship, enjoy the suite, enjoy the fairly empty ship. Have your husband take your son to the Space Center, and you and your daughter can enjoy the pools or just have quiet time together.

Just sit back and relax! Don't worry about the roll call, if nothing picks up at least you have one other family to contact with. Smile, take a deep breath, and just relax! ;)

If you are that uncomfortable, maybe cancelling is the answer; you don't want to go into a vacation thinking it will not be what you want.

As far as the number of families on your roll call. Keep in mind, that those on cruise critic are only a very, very small number based on how many people are on your ship. There will probably be a lot of families, based on the time you are cruising.

A cruise is what "you" make of it, not what others. If you go in with the expectations that you will have a great time, you probably will. But if you go in being apprehensive, that will also transmit to your family and you risk the chance that no one will have a great time.

Not knowing anyone on board is not a reason not to like your cruise or be prevented from being excited. Cruising is an escape from the mainland. I never want to know anyone on board.

It sounds like to me that you are suffering from the holiday blues. You will get over it and have a great cruise. I have never heard of such trivial things to not get excited about a cruise. You have actually convinced yourself already you are going to have a horrible time.

But if you cant shake the negativity, maybe it sould be better to cancel.

Go on the cruise and have fun. If you want to meet other families on the cruise, you will; if you don't want to meet other families, you won't. If you want to have fun, you will; if you don't think you'll have fun, then you won't. The cruising experience is what YOU make of it. Cruising is a great way to escape and relax - if you'll allow yourself to do so. I bet if you start thinking about all of the fun you'll have, the relaxation, spending time away from the world out on the big blue ocean, you'll get excited about the cruise.

You might rebook for a time your little one can join kids club. With two little ones you need some time to have a little romantic time with your husband while knowing your kids are having a blast.

And by rebooking you might get a more active roll call where you can have made connections to lots of folks with kids.

Listen to your gut.

Wildcatrock Diller12 Here Warren & Linda, Thanks Again For Your Sail Away In Cozumel On The Star. Had A Great Time. We Are On The Jewel November 2013 out of NOLA

Hi Warren & Linda!!!!! We had an awesome cruise with you two and hope we can cruise with you again. We're on the Pearl out of Miami in Nov 2013, and just booked the Jewell out of Houston in Nov 2014. You know, Houston's not too far away from your home in LA...........2014???

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Crusiing and vacations are fun!! We deserve to enjoy them. But they aren't the be all end all in life. Perhaps there is something deeper going on here? You need to perhaps connect to your inner self to find happiness and contentment. You could also just have the Christmas blues. There is so much sorrow going on in the world that sometimes we can't get into the Holiday spirit and we become a little bit depressed missing loved ones, etc. We can't seem to get excited about anything, but this can just be a passing phrase. Put it in it's persepctive. Maybe also you are crusing too much and should take some time off? I took a couple of years off and did some another vacation (Vegas and Napa) and now I have booked a cruise (first time on NCL so that has made it more exciting) and I am very excited about it. Just throwing some thoughts out there. If after the holidays are over and you can't get excited, maybe try thinking of another type of vacation and see if that makes you excited. Let us know what you decide because I think this is something many people go through and thank you for sharing.

but I'm not. We have a cruise on Gem planned for June 8th to the Bahamas and Florida. We're celebrating our 10th anniversary on 6/14, and my son's 8th birthday on 6/9. There are four of us all together, including my 2, almost 3 year old daughter. We're booked in one of the forward penthouse suites overlooking the bow. That is the one thing I think I'm looking forward to on the cruise... no, I take that back, sailing out of New York should be pretty awesome too. Things I'm not excited about are:

When we booked the cruise forever ago, 2 year olds were allowed in the kid's program... now they're not.

Going to Port Canaveral (though my son is excited for a chance to go back to Cape Canaveral)

Going to Nassau

We won't know anyone on board :( Our roll call only has one other family posting on it,

I'm used to being super excited about a cruise for months before it's time to go, but with this one, I'm not. I don't really know what to do to get into it, and we're thinking about cancelling. Anyone have anything that can help us get excited?

I don't understand why you would book a cruise to Port Canaveral and Nassau if you don't want to go there. Don't think anyone on this site can make you "excited" if you don't want to go there.:(

Actually I have been on cruises where the roll calls didn't really get moving until much closer to sailing!!! Give it some time after the holidays to get going....

since that is a summer cruise, I am sure they'll be lots of families on board. Eventhough the 2 year old can't be left alone in the kids' club,there was a special area on the Pearl and the Jewel for kids under two and their parents.

The forward penthouses are great cabins and there is so much to be excited about with just the cabin alone!! The Gem is a Nickelodeon ship so they'll be plenty of activities that you can enjoy as a family and meet other families!

I have done the Florida/Bahamas route 3 times. While it might not be the most exciting, it is a great itinerary for families. The ports are very easy to navigate and you can do things by yourself without worrying like some more exotic ports.

I think this cruise and that cabin will be a perfect celebration cruise!!!

You might rebook for a time your little one can join kids club. With two little ones you need some time to have a little romantic time with your husband while knowing your kids are having a blast.

And by rebooking you might get a more active roll call where you can have made connections to lots of folks with kids.

Listen to your gut.

That's what I was thinking. Postpone a year until the little one is old enough to be in the Kid's Program and you can have some time to yourselves.

A suite is a lot of money to spend when you might not be able to fully enjoy it.

Going to Nassau

Same ship, same itinerary, same cruisers but now no kids program for 2 year olds. I think this is what has taken the excitement out of your trip. If that is what it has come down to I would A) get over it or B) change plans.

How close is the 2yr to being 3? She might still be able to go to the kids club.

The penthouse is great and we love the Gem. Not wild about the Bahamas though since we have been there many times--but maybe for you it would be perfect.

I agree with others--if you are really uncomfortable you have time to change/cancel your reservation but you might want to wait until the last minute just to be sure. Remember, for the suites, you must cancel 120 days prior to the cruise to get a full refund!!

I think a little more research would have probably helped make a more informed decision for you where the kid's club was concerned. The children's program not allowing 2 year olds starting in 2013 was announced back around February 2012.

Do you usually know other people onboard when you cruise?

You still have time to cancel if you really don't think you will have a good time.

Going to Nassau

You're going on a CRUISE!! Do you know how many people would love to be able to?? Be happy! Accentuate the positive.

Here Is My take on it. WE DO NOT CARE WERE WE GO AND OR WHAT "PORTS WE GO TO>!! It's all about being together and not having nothing to do unless we wont to do.!! I can sit on the lindo deck for 12 hours a day for 7 days and do nothing and be VERY HAPPY>. I live just to cruise and cruise to live. Maybe my life is different than yours with 9 hour work days, the kids, the grand kids, the Mom And Mother In-law All ways wonting something .. But I Have to leave the country at least twice a year to get away from it all.! Hell we used to check into any hotel room on Friday night and stay there till Sunday afternoon and never leave the room and was excited about that. With A Cruise You Have the magnitude of the ocean, And the solitude of it, and win you look off the back of the ship you see no past, then go to the front and look and you see no future. It makes your brain go LIMP...

Here Is My take on it. WE DO NOT CARE WERE WE GO AND OR WHAT "PORTS WE GO TO>!! It's all about being together and not having nothing to do unless we wont to do.!! I can sit on the lindo deck for 12 hours a day for 7 days and do nothing and be VERY HAPPY>. I live just to cruise and cruise to live. Maybe my life is different than yours with 9 hour work days, the kids, the grand kids, the Mom And Mother In-law All ways wonting something .. But I Have to leave the country at least twice a year to get away from it all.! Hell we used to check into any hotel room on Friday night and stay there till Sunday afternoon and never leave the room and was excited about that. With A Cruise You Have the magnitude of the ocean, And the solitude of it, and win you look off the back of the ship you see no past, then go to the front and look and you see no future. It makes your brain go LIMP...

I get it. As do other cruise enthusiasts. My SIL tool one cruise for work and said "never again"... But for me a cruise is the best vacation going.

I get it. As do other cruise enthusiasts. My SIL tool one cruise for work and said "never again"... But for me a cruise is the best vacation going.

Yes Donna, I get it too. I've had cousins who cruised once, said they would never do it again. But this isn't OP's first cruise, they have cruise a few times now.

Archived