What's going on with the Connie?

fgc15527

I sailed on the December 20th short four day cruise. Before I start the review you should know that this is my 6th Celebrity cruise in 2012 so I am very loyal to Celebrity and I am very familiar with what a Celebrity cruise experience should be. This cruise was not a typical Celebrity cruise experience – something was not running right in several areas of the ship. If this was my first Celebrity cruise experience I don't think I would book another Celebrity cruise again. I know this cruise experience was an abberation from the norm and hope that with the feedback that people were providing on the comment cards Celebrity will fix the issues onboard.

Issues that Celebrity should address.

1. MDR – The staff did their job but did not make you feel like you were welcome guests. This was noted from the MDR management down to the Assistant Wait Staff. At our particular table we felt that our staff were food carriers, not waiters. No suggestions or descriptions were given each night. They could not answer questions about how dishes were prepared. Food came out cold – congealled butter in escargot, smashed salads from plates being stacked .The food was not prepared according to Celebrity recipes – so food you ordered was not as you expected and was prepared poorly. We also noted cost cutting in the food quality – smaller portions, canned shrimp, spinach salad supplemented with cheaper romaine lettuce as well as many others. This may sound minor but it happened everday with several dishes in one evening. In retrospect we should have been more assertative and asked for different dishes or mentioned about quality but we were at a larger table with others who were not in our group and we didn't want to hold up their meal.
  2. Seaside Cafe – We comment on our comment card that the staff working the tables were very helpful carrying trays and getting extra things that we needed. The Waffles -This may seem minor to some but to us it is something we look forward to on Celebrity. They were always raw. Seems so strange since they are always so good and not hard to make. The syrup was in a pot – not in individual packets. Bagels were stale at times.
  3. Cabin – We were in a 1A cabin on the hump. We chose this cabin for it's midship location and the larger balcony. Unfortunately this was the spot where the cabin attendents stored their things. The bags of dirty towels, trash and two other bags were hung outside our cabin door until mid afternoon each day and then again at night. The cart was also there along with the cleaning water buckets. I would not book this cabin again if this is the norm.
  4. We felt that there was not enough activities scheduled onboard. We have been on other 4 day cruises where there was always many options throughout the day and night. For example on day 4 the top hightlighted activity in the daily activity sheet was crepe making at Bistro on 5. It was cold out and on other ships they have made accomdations to take into account that people need more activities since there can't be more pool and outside time.

There were other issues but I don't want to bore you all with all the details – hopefully future cruisers will have a better onboard experience on the Constellation.

Be on Connie in 12 days and willsee if things change for the better. Do youhave the list of Senior Staff who were on the ship? I remember when Connie was the ship that had the most experienced crew, now they appear to be a "training" ship for new staff. I really hope that my observation is incorrect. I last cruised Connie in 2011 when I did the Holy Land and TA. We had noro for the entire cruise. Certainly not an enjoyable experience, but the crew were fantastic!

As the Connie was inexplicably moved to the short itineraries, the crew began to steel themselves for what the were calling the "booze cruises" and "beer runs". I think we are already seeing the sea change in the traditional Connie experience. I had been mourning the fact that I would never sail other again now that Perry is no longer there but this news makes me even sadder.

Be on Connie in 12 days and willsee if things change for the better. Do youhave the list of Senior Staff who were on the ship? I remember when Connie was the ship that had the most experienced crew, now they appear to be a "training" ship for new staff. I really hope that my observation is incorrect. I last cruised Connie in 2011 when I did the Holy Land and TA. We had noro for the entire cruise. Certainly not an enjoyable experience, but the crew were fantastic!

Hi Orator,

I think you may be right. When I last sailed on Connie, many of the crew that I spoke with, said they had no desire to be onboard for the short sailings (I understand they very exhausting on the crew). At the time, many stated they would request transfers to other X ships. What a shame, as Connie always had an incredible crew - perhaps the best in Celebrity's fleet. Of course, crew members come and go, but Constellation was often requested. When we first learned that Constellation would be sailing 4 & 5 nights, I predicted Connie's "chemistry" would likely be damaged. Sadly, that seems to be the case.

We also had similar issues on Eclipse last month, as the crew seemed new to Celebrity or the ship. We experienced disorganization, along with some attitude & service issues during the cruise. I'm not sure if there's an onboard training and/or management issue, but things were not up to the usual Celebrity excellence.

I'm sailing on Connie next month, and look forward to your observations. Have a wonderful time, and Happy Holidays !

I had been mourning the fact that I would never sail other again now that Perry is no longer there but this news makes me even sadder.

Hi Cruisestitch,

Let's not say never. Let's just say for now. We can hope that Celebrity will come to their senses, and return Connie to longer Caribbean sailings for the 2014/2015 season. At this point, they are probably well into their itinerary development, and I'm sure that many Connie fans are hopeful that Celebrity has other plans for Connie. She's too beautiful of a ship to be wasted on short sailings. IMO, Century should be doing the short sailings, until Celebrity decides their long term plans for her. Based on the low pricing I'm seeing - along with Princess moving into the short sailing market next year, I feel that Celebrity should consider getting out of the short itineraries altogether.

I continue to root for Connie to be sailing a combination of alternating 10/11 night (or 9/12 night) deep South Caribbean & Round Trip Panama Canal sailings from FLL or MIA. Princess currently offers a 10 night RT Panama Canal from FLL, and they are usually in strong demand. Connie would be a perfect fit for this type of itinerary. Who knows ? If this happened - perhaps Perry would return home too :). As Celebrity rarely does much to change, or show some creativity with their Caribbean itineraries, I know this may be a longshot - but we can dream, right ?

Our first experience with Celebrity will be the Connie in February. What I am reading concerns me. We went with Celebrity because we had heard such wonderful things about this cruise line. Now I am reading reviews that make me wonder if we should have stayed with Royal Caribbean. I hope that the January cruisers will report that things have improved.

Minnie

Our first experience with Celebrity will be the Connie in February. What I am reading concerns me. We went with Celebrity because we had heard such wonderful things about this cruise line. Now I am reading reviews that make me wonder if we should have stayed with Royal Caribbean. I hope that the January cruisers will report that things have improved.

Minnie

Hi Minnie,

Hopefully, it's not time to worry. Both Orator & Myself will be sailing on Connie over the next month. Let's hope we will find the previous concerns to be resolved. I have faith :)

Happy New Year !

We saw the same thing happening last year on Millie, but after a couple of sailings the crew adapted to the short sailings and service improved again, up to theoint that now, Millie boasts a splendid crew.

Never dispair, I am sure that things will get better.

Cabin – We were in a 1A cabin on the hump. We chose this cabin for it's midship location and the larger balcony.

Can you please tell us your cabin number? Seems to be one to avoid. I think you mean a 2A as there are no 1As on M-class ships.

We're doing a b2b on the Connie starting Jan 3rd and I'm going in with an opened mind. Last winter we sailed on the Millie and had two wonderful 5 day cruises that certainly weren't "booze cruises" or "beer runs". I'm hoping that some of the current problems are caused by the adjustment to the new routes and new personnel.

Earlier this month we did a b2b on the Reflection and were quite nervous about it having read negative reports about the previous sailings. We had a great time, excellent service and loved the ship (well maybe not the Sky Lounge).

I'll be sure to post my thoughts when I return.

As the Connie was inexplicably moved to the short itineraries, the crew began to steel themselves for what the were calling the "booze cruises" and "beer runs". I think we are already seeing the sea change in the traditional Connie experience. I had been mourning the fact that I would never sail other again now that Perry is no longer there but this news makes me even sadder.

Exactly what we predicted would happen to the Connie when they switched her to short cruises. Very sad. She used to be my favorite ship. The last 2-week cruise I did on her had one of the best crews I've ever encountered. I'm sure they've all moved on.

I sailed on the December 20th short four day cruise. Before I start the review you should know that this is my 6th Celebrity cruise in 2012 so I am very loyal to Celebrity and I am very familiar with what a Celebrity cruise experience should be. This cruise was not a typical Celebrity cruise experience – something was not running right in several areas of the ship. If this was my first Celebrity cruise experience I don't think I would book another Celebrity cruise again. I know this cruise experience was an abberation from the norm and hope that with the feedback that people were providing on the comment cards Celebrity will fix the issues onboard.

Issues that Celebrity should address.

1. MDR – The staff did their job but did not make you feel like you were welcome guests. This was noted from the MDR management down to the Assistant Wait Staff. At our particular table we felt that our staff were food carriers, not waiters. No suggestions or descriptions were given each night. They could not answer questions about how dishes were prepared. Food came out cold – congealled butter in escargot, smashed salads from plates being stacked .The food was not prepared according to Celebrity recipes – so food you ordered was not as you expected and was prepared poorly. We also noted cost cutting in the food quality – smaller portions, canned shrimp, spinach salad supplemented with cheaper romaine lettuce as well as many others. This may sound minor but it happened everday with several dishes in one evening. In retrospect we should have been more assertative and asked for different dishes or mentioned about quality but we were at a larger table with others who were not in our group and we didn't want to hold up their meal.
  2. Seaside Cafe – We comment on our comment card that the staff working the tables were very helpful carrying trays and getting extra things that we needed. The Waffles -This may seem minor to some but to us it is something we look forward to on Celebrity. They were always raw. Seems so strange since they are always so good and not hard to make. The syrup was in a pot – not in individual packets. Bagels were stale at times.
  3. Cabin – We were in a 1A cabin on the hump. We chose this cabin for it's midship location and the larger balcony. Unfortunately this was the spot where the cabin attendents stored their things. The bags of dirty towels, trash and two other bags were hung outside our cabin door until mid afternoon each day and then again at night. The cart was also there along with the cleaning water buckets. I would not book this cabin again if this is the norm.
  4. We felt that there was not enough activities scheduled onboard. We have been on other 4 day cruises where there was always many options throughout the day and night. For example on day 4 the top hightlighted activity in the daily activity sheet was crepe making at Bistro on 5. It was cold out and on other ships they have made accomdations to take into account that people need more activities since there can't be more pool and outside time.

There were other issues but I don't want to bore you all with all the details – hopefully future cruisers will have a better onboard experience on the Constellation.

We were on the same cruise and, unfortunately, felt the same way as you. We've been on about a dozen Celebrity cruises; and if this was the first time, I doubt we'd go again.

You did not exaggerate the MDR issues. The food and service was really regrettable. Actually, even worse than you reported. (Ocean Liners, however, was excellent.)

We also had a cabin attendant who neglected to provide ice for two days despite a verbal request and a written note reminder; did not put robes in the room until day 3; did not clean the bathroom the first evening, which meant our damp towels stayed on the floor; and did not make up the room until noon or later.

This is the only cruise we've been on where we did not give an additional gratuities to the cabin attendant. Although we did not give an extra gratuity to the waiter (grumpy and neglectful), we did slip $20 to the assistant waiter who was pleasant and efficient.

I guess we should have filled out the customer service cards, but it was a matter of "If you don't have anything nice to say..."

We were on the Millie 5 day cruise late Feb and early April just before solticization. We were impressed. Crew was wonderful. CC host Lionell was the best we have had. Served Lobster in April. To die for. Entertainment fantastic. Feb cruise had the best accapella group. Just proves that Millie can do a 5 day cruise with exceptional Celebrity standards.

We were on the Dec 15 sailing. Other than the rack of lamb food was not good. It appeared to overseasoned leaving no taste. Chef Oliver came to the table to explain to one couple about the quality of the veal. The trout my wife ordered appeared to be stale with mashed potatoes on the trout. Chef Oliver explained to her the mased potatoes kept the trout moist. NOT SO. Wait staff did their best. I felt sorry for them as almost every dish was sent back. The aloff Maitre D was not very helpful. Enough of that I made my point.

At 7:40 the F & B Manager was notified that the wafflle did not open until 7:30. Thirty minutes late. When advised he seemed put out that I told him. How can the wait staff and other attendents be good if there is no direction by the staff.

The positive. Rose Captains club Hostess was attentive. Wait staff Limon and Denis along with Effraim and his asst were excellent. I guess the ironic part is that fact we bragged to our tablemates how great the food and service was on a prior Connie cruise.

We are sailing Connie for the first time in about 3 weeks. It'll be our fourth Celebrity cruise. We LOVE Celebrity and have been really talking up the cruise line to the point that we've got some friends who will be joining us on their first Celebrity cruise when we sail Connie. They'd only previously sailed RCCL and NCL. Part of me wants to show them this thread as a heads up/warning, but on the other hand, I don't want to give anyone a heads up about something that might improve by then.

Maybe I'll just use this thread as a heads up for me, and keep my fingers crossed that they have a good experience and love X as much as we do. ;)

We are sailing Connie for the first time in about 3 weeks. It'll be our fourth Celebrity cruise. We LOVE Celebrity and have been really talking up the cruise line to the point that we've got some friends who will be joining us on their first Celebrity cruise when we sail Connie. They'd only previously sailed RCCL and NCL. Part of me wants to show them this thread as a heads up/warning, but on the other hand, I don't want to give anyone a heads up about something that might improve by then.

Maybe I'll just use this thread as a heads up for me, and keep my fingers crossed that they have a good experience and love X as much as we do. ;)

Hi TravlGrl,

I second your thoughts. The odds are good that things will improve in coming weeks - so why concern them ? It might be all for nothing. I have 8 family members joining us on Connie in Late January, and I have no plans to have this conversation with them, as I'm not going to worry about it. As I always say... a day on a Cruise, is better than a Day at work :)

Hi TravlGrl,

I second your thoughts. The odds are good that things will improve in coming weeks - so why concern them ? It might be all for nothing. I have 8 family members joining us on Connie in Late January, and I have no plans to have this conversation with them, as I'm not going to worry about it. As I always say... a day on a Cruise, is better than a Day at work :)

Absolutely! :D

We were in Key West for a few days over Christmas, and while there I bought a cute beach sign that I hung at my desk today to help me get through stressful moments. It reads,

"Just think of a beach and smile."

I guess the word "beach" could really be anything, i.e. cruise! ;)

We were on the Millie 5 day cruise late Feb and early April just before solticization. We were impressed. Crew was wonderful. CC host Lionell was the best we have had. Served Lobster in April. To die for. Entertainment fantastic. Feb cruise had the best accapella group. Just proves that Millie can do a 5 day cruise with exceptional Celebrity standards.

My first Celebrity cruise was on a 5-day on the Millie. This is where I fell in love with Celebrity. The service was superb!! All proof that Celebrity can make the 5 day cruise exceptional! Hopefully the Connie will come around...

We ate at the buffet each day for both breakfast and lunch. We usually ate the same kinds of food each day. We also enjoyed 4:00 tea each afternoon with scones.

Omletes, Pizza, Indian/Thai dishes, Salad Bar, Make your own Pasta Bar were all very good.

Archived