FLL - Any comfy areas?

mickide

When I cruised out of Port Canaveral, we flew into Orlando and there was a comfortable sitting area near the Carnival Shuttle counter. Does anyone know if FLL has a comfy seating area?

Call us crazy (or just plain cheap) but my friend and I are flying in to FLL and supposed to arrive close to midnight...we don't plan to get a hotel, but instead just hang at the airport overnight until we take a taxi to the port in the morning. By the time we got to a hotel and checked in, we would only be getting about 7 hours in the room (if that) and it's not worth $200 or whatever the cost would be. We can use that money for the Cheers program emotion-5.gif.

I'll call you crazy! :eek: You're talking 10 hours in the airport, then a quick cab to the port, then security and check-in and waiting to board and your rooms will not be ready until 1:00-1:30!

Before I'd spend all night sitting in an airport and then start my cruise off exhausted and grungy I'd spend $100 or less on a cheap airport area motel, get 10 hours of rest and a shower, and then head to the ship about noon.

Good luck! :)

I agree with John!! Comfort Suites is not super expensive and has a complimentary airport shuttle, clean bed, clean bathroom, complimentary breakfast and $6 pp shuttle to the port. Trust me, you'll look, feel, and smell much better boarding the ship. Besides that, if you do it the other way, you will be exhausted and sleeping, showering and getting ready for fun after you board the ship, missing out on some ship fun time! I would either book Comfort Suites or some other reasonable hotel through Last Minute Travel, Priceline, or Hotwire.

I haven't found really any reasonably priced hotels and since I don't know the area, I'm a bit nervous about getting too far from the port. I'll keep looking and maybe change my mind :).

Thanks John & Grandma for your replies/suggestions :).

Last year, my friend and I sat at the Houston airport for 7 hrs waiting for another group to get there to share a shuttle to Galveston. Great people watching time but it was in the daytime hours.

Even though it wouldn't be ideal, it would NOT affect how much fun I have. A vacation is what you make it and I make them FUN!

I'm just having a hard time finding a hotel under $200, I'll keep looking :).

Go on Hotwire. I think the 3.5 star hotel in the FLL airport area for $110 is the airport Hilton. It's not the greatest hotel, but they have a free 24hr shuttle and you'll have a safe bed and shower. The main drawback at the Hilton is they still have smoking rooms, but I know for some people that is a big plus. After sleeping, you'll have a whole extra day to enjoy on the cruise. Otherwise, you'll be hanging around without a room for at least 13 hrs after landing. I don't know of any comfortable areas in the airport, or even if the airport police will allow you to stay that long.

Forgot to mention, but the Comfort Suites I was talking about is on Federal Highway, and we have stayed there the last two times to Ft Lauderdale(once in August through hurricane Isaac for three nights and once precruise last month. I wouldn't hesitate to book it again, We have also stayed at Riverside Hotel(bid on Priceline), a great price but expensive taxis from airport/to port. I also have friends who stay in Dania Sleep Inn and are well pleased.

If you have a hotel location question, check the Florida port boards. There is a poster who lives in Ft Lauderdale and answers questions frequently.

Go on Hotwire. I think the 3.5 star hotel in the FLL airport area for $110 is the airport Hilton. It's not the greatest hotel, but they have a free 24hr shuttle and you'll have a safe bed and shower. The main drawback at the Hilton is they still have smoking rooms, but I know for some people that is a big plus. After sleeping, you'll have a whole extra day to enjoy on the cruise. Otherwise, you'll be hanging around without a room for at least 13 hrs after landing. I don't know of any comfortable areas in the airport, or even if the airport police will allow you to stay that long.

Thanks, Royalcruz! You are the poster I was talking about being so helpful!!:D

I'm glad you will reconsider searching for a hotel--because the below is exactly right:

I don't know of any comfortable areas in the airport, or even if the airport police will allow you to stay that long.

FLL is definitely not a 24/7 airport. Unlike MIA for example outside the secure departures areas you will find very few services and virtually no seating--and by 10:30 or so most restrooms in the baggage claim areas will be closed for cleaning. There are so few late night flights that you will have a hard time convincing security that you are waiting for a missed connection or to meet your companions whose flight was delayed. Maybe you would have a chance if you bivouac outside Concourse H where Spirit has a flight from IAG arriving at 4 AM on certain days...but I wouldn't bet a citation for trespassing on it.

I'm glad you will reconsider searching for a hotel--because the below is exactly right:

FLL is definitely not a 24/7 airport. Unlike MIA for example outside the secure departures areas you will find very few services and virtually no seating--and by 10:30 or so most restrooms in the baggage claim areas will be closed for cleaning. There are so few late night flights that you will have a hard time convincing security that you are waiting for a missed connection or to meet your companions whose flight was delayed. Maybe you would have a chance if you bivouac outside Concourse H where Spirit has a flight from IAG arriving at 4 AM on certain days...but I wouldn't bet a citation for trespassing on it.

Well said - and I'll reiterate it. I've flown in on what must be the 'last flight' of the evening on JetBlue a couple of times (arriving around 9:30- 10 pm) and shops and restaurants had already closed and I seem to remember staff getting ready to seal (with gates across the corridors) the seating areas. I don't think security would look too kindly on anyone camping out.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I hadn't researched hotels, I have and really can't see myself spending $200 on a hotel. However, I wouldn't want to break any rules at the airport and get a citation (really??).

I really appreciate the feedback you have all given me. I will keep looking for a hotel. Main thing is airport shuttle and close enough to the port so I don't spend a fortune on a taxi!

Thank you all! :p

Arriving that late do not worry about "free" shuttles - just find a cheap room close to the airport (Motel 6? :confused:) and cab it. Several hours of sleep, a hot shower and a "free" doughnut for breakfast will help you to start your cruise on the right foot!

Good luck! :)

I didn't mean to make it sound like I hadn't researched hotels, I have and really can't see myself spending $200 on a hotel. However, I wouldn't want to break any rules at the airport and get a citation (really??).

I really appreciate the feedback you have all given me. I will keep looking for a hotel. Main thing is airport shuttle and close enough to the port so I don't spend a fortune on a taxi!

Thank you all! :p

Priceline..."name your own price".

I've never used the "name your own price" thing because I am not sure I like not knowing which hotel before they charge me. I may have to try it though :).

If you decide to try Priceline or Hotwire, be sure to select the airport or downtown areas so you won't pay high cabfare. If you go 3-4 stars it will be fine.

If you want to try Last Minute Travel, you can reveal the name of the hotel by selecting a hotel, then a rental car, then back out before agreeing to reserve.

If you decide to try Priceline or Hotwire, be sure to select the airport or downtown areas so you won't pay high cabfare. If you go 3-4 stars it will be fine.

If you want to try Last Minute Travel, you can reveal the name of the hotel by selecting a hotel, then a rental car, then back out before agreeing to reserve.

Sharon, is there a hotel/motel near the airport that would be okay but may not show up on the Hotwire/Priceline type websites? I already called my bestie and told her that we need to find a hotel and just suck it up LOL.

...arrive close to midnight... we would only be getting about 7 hours in the room (if that)....

By my count you would actually be closer to 10 hours, if not longer. You can head to the pier by 10:30 or 11 am. We once stayed in a hotel for 3 hours; it was awful, and we had to pay for the entire night, but it was what it was.

Get a room. Please. :)

By my count you would actually be closer to 10 hours, if not longer. You can head to the pier by 10:30 or 11 am. We once stayed in a hotel for 3 hours; it was awful, and we had to pay for the entire night, but it was what it was.

Get a room. Please. :)

Hi Karen, thanks to all the wonderful info & advice from CC peeps, we will get a room...I sure appreciate all the responses :).

Sharon, is there a hotel/motel near the airport that would be okay but may not show up on the Hotwire/Priceline type websites? I already called my bestie and told her that we need to find a hotel and just suck it up LOL.

I think the best deal is the hotwire deal I mentioned yesterday. These hotels are all very close to both the airport and port, on SR 84 (also known as 24th St). Some get good reviews, some not so good, but they are all safe enough. Some have free shuttles:

Crowne Plaza

Hampton Inn north FLL

Rodeway Inn

Holiday Inn Express FLL

Best Western Plus

These are just a few minutes away and have good prices:

LaQuinta Hollywood

Sleep Inn Dania

This is very close to the port and is usually well priced:

Comfort Suites airport/cruiseport

Hyatt Place on valuetrips

I think the best deal is the hotwire deal I mentioned yesterday. These hotels are all very close to both the airport and port, on SR 84 (also known as 24th St). Some get good reviews, some not so good, but they are all safe enough. Some have free shuttles:

Crowne Plaza

Hampton Inn north FLL

Rodeway Inn

Holiday Inn Express FLL

Best Western Plus

Thank you again Sharon! We booked the Rodeway Inn. More than I wanted to spend, but not bad in comparison to others.

Happy New Year!

Archived