(A not so very) LIVE from the RUBY PRINCESS - Dec. 30th to Jan. 6th

Pia1913

Hello from the beautiful Ruby Princess as we start our 7 day New Years cruise into Caribbean waters. The title I have used for this thread is a bit cryptic, so let me explain. My usual LIVE will not be happening and for those who follow me the explanation is simple. On the 12th of this month I had major thoracic surgery and I’m just grateful to have been able to board today. My stamina is such that I tire quickly, so this cruise will be total R & R. We most likely will do zero ports. I will drop in whenever I can and hopefully my friends Tina and Joyce and other new roll call friends will continue giving info and chatter.

Boarding was fast; Elites and Suites went first. We were segregated in the new area where refreshments were available to us. HC lunch and luggage delivered before 2 PM. We are traveling with Tina, Ken, their daughter, SIL and two teens, and we have designated early dinner in DaVinci at 5:45.

Meanwhile, here’s some pertinent stuff:

Captain: Tony Yeomans

Staff Capt: Gavin Pears

Hotel Mgr. Guenther Kopf

Cruise Director Ron Goodman

Food & Beverage Francesco Grasso

Customer Service Sandro Merello

Maitre d’ Fabio Marcotti

Our itinerary will be: Princess Cays tomorrow; New Years Eve and also formal night.

Tuesday at sea, Wednesday St. Maarten, Thursday St. Thomas (2nd formal night), Friday Grand Turk, Saturday at sea.

MUTS will be showing all the Bowls; Rose, Orange and Sugar. Production shows will be Stardust, Once Upon a Dream and Broadway Ballroom. There will be two comedians, Glenn Hirsch and Gary Delena, as well as a magician/illusionist; David Cats.

This is all I have to offer at present. Now I have to relax before muster and advise them there is no way I can put on a life jacket. See you when I can. We lose an hour of sleep tonight.

Pia this is the first time I have checked this site for a few days.

Hope you begin to feel much better soon.

Just relax.I take thyroid tablets myself which is nothing to what you must have gone through.

Lots of hugs and Happy New Year from Kruisey.

Good Morning all and thanks for all the kind words. Sleep is what escapes me. I'm mostly OK during the day but can't find a place for myself at night. I sort of catnap. This will take some time so I just go with the flow. It's a lovely Monday AM and they are tendering to the Cays. Not us of course. We had room service; first time ever. Not my cup of tea. Make that coffee. When we manage to get out of here, will try to find a spot somewhere up top with a comfortable chaise and relax with our books.

Later.

Pia, Joyce and all my other cruise friends.....Happy New Years. Hope you have a great time.

Pia....surgery on the 11th here. Drains came out on the 25th and the 29th. I know your discomfort and difficulty getting comfortable at night. But you are on a ship to recuperate and recover. I envy you. Best way to get back to normal. Enjoy the celebration tonight.

See all of you soon.

Chris and Art

Maybe instead of reporting on port activities , this time you can share some of your readings. Such an interesting person must be reading interesting stuff, and I believe you will have more reading time on this cruise. Just curious also as I am in the process of figuring out what I will bring along bookwise for the next cruise.

Take care of yourself and Happy New year.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! And thanks to a wonderful Cruise Critic friend, I managed to ger 9 hours of sleep last night. Have never taken any kind of aid and 1/2 of an Ambien did it. We never made it even close to midnight, but did manage to see the comedian Craig Hirsch (OK) and most of Once Upon a Dream. I am still trying to figure that show out.

I did go to the gym yesterday and even though it took me 11 minutes to do 1/4 mile I felt I had accomplished a major feat.

Our M and G is this afternoon, so will get to put the faces to the names. Otherwise intentions are to do nothing. I'm reading Criminal, by Karin Slaughter and Mike is reading Steve Jobs. Big fat book.

Wiggling ship; sunny, but cool. Need breakfast.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! And thanks to a wonderful Cruise Critic friend, I managed to ger 9 hours of sleep last night. Have never taken any kind of aid and 1/2 of an Ambien did it. We never made it even close to midnight, but did manage to see the comedian Craig Hirsch (OK) and most of Once Upon a Dream. I am still trying to figure that show out.

I did go to the gym yesterday and even though it took me 11 minutes to do 1/4 mile I felt I had accomplished a major feat.

Our M and G is this afternoon, so will get to put the faces to the names. Otherwise intentions are to do nothing. I'm reading Criminal, by Karin Slaughter and Mike is reading Steve Jobs. Big fat book.

Pia, being one that doesn't like taking medicine I have found a sure way to ease pain or difficulty in getting to sleep. Suggest you give it a try:

Turn down all the lights; close your eyes and have your Mike sing the following:

Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur;

Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr! :)

Seriously, it works!! :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR! And thanks to a wonderful Cruise Critic friend, I managed to ger 9 hours of sleep last night......

Pia

I have enjoyed many of your postings and wish you the best of all things in the coming year - especially good health! Getting that sleep is a good start.

Peggy

Wow Pia...you are a true cruiser....I aspire to be like you and Mike and try to cruise more every year. Thank you for taking the time to do your blog...love hearing what is happening, but use this time to be well. You have a big 2013 planned already...so relax and enjoy.

Hope to catch up with you guys on another cruise soon! Be well, my friend...sorry to hear about your major medical issues. Happy New Year.

Dolores

Just popping in with some info which interests many CC folks.

The Capt. Circle party will be on Thursday; formal night. We are #2. Have no idea yet how many days numero uno has, but I believe it’s over 1000.

Both wine tasting and Most Traveled Luncheon will be on Saturday. Cutoff is 286.

There are a zillion kids on this cruise; 250 teens and many more than that of littler ones. And lots and lots of babies. :rolleyes:

Comedian Glenn Hirsch is on again tonight; this time in the theater. Explorers has a female vocalist; Melissa Wand.

Almost time for M & G. See you tomorrow in St. Maarten.

Ruby was DH's r&r spot three weeks after his by-pass surgery! Nice way to spend the time resting and MUCH better than staring at four walls in our house! :) Not a big adventurous cruise, but literally just what the Dr ordered! Ours was in Feb so not as many kids.

Hi Pia, We will be on the Ruby in Feb.,same itinerary. Look forward to your reviews. Can't help but chime in on the good wishes, and some advice from an old retired RN who worked post surgery: do a little and rest, do a little and rest.:) My best to you. Ahhhhhhhh..... nothing like some fresh sea air on the deck, looking out at the horizon, humming the theme to Pirates of the Caribbean. Perhaps spotting Capt. Jack Sparrow and the crew of the Blackpearl,(that is what I always do),

I know you like to keep fit but take it very slowly.I know its difficult when one has been so active.Give your body a really good holiday. Slowly does it.:)

So pleased you seem to be doing so well .........Kruisey:)

Thank you Pia for sharing what you are reading. Happy New year ! Health, good friends and lots of adventures !

Archived