The list of drinks included in UBP

mw_1970

About November NCL started to introduce the trial of this package, they should put out (if they haven't already) a press release if it goes fleetwide and becomes permanent.

As far as I know it is still only in the trial phase, thats why there is such limited and conflicting information on it.

No

It's no longer a trial and for now is here to stay is what I was told by F&B manager onboard Spirit.

Of course, everything has a lifespan.

No

It's no longer a trial and for now is here to stay is what I was told by F&B manager onboard Spirit.

Of course, everything has a lifespan.

Interesting and surprising then that NCL has not had a press release, they appear to have one every time something is concrete.

Just off the Sky and wines that sold for $10 or less by the glass were included. I was served specialty martinis in the Plantation lounge. The bartender rang it up as a vodka purchase ( as opposed to a martini) and used an allowable vodka not the Grey Goose described. Not certain if I broke even or not but it was nice not to have to worry about the final bill and allowed me to try drinks I might not normally try!

Just off the Sky and wines that sold for $10 or less by the glass were included. I was served specialty martinis in the Plantation lounge. The bartender rang it up as a vodka purchase ( as opposed to a martini) and used an allowable vodka not the Grey Goose described. Not certain if I broke even or not but it was nice not to have to worry about the final bill and allowed me to try drinks I might not normally try!

I found the bar tenders on the whole very helpful

Just came back from an 11-day on the Sun. I was in a cabin with 2 others. Total came to $619/each. Honestly, If you're not a HEAVY drinker or if you're mostly drinking beer/cheaper mixes this package probably won't work in favor for you. There are ways to drink cheaply as listed earlier. However, it is nice to not have to think about the bill at the end.

Since you can't see the individual drinks on the final statement you receive, I decided to tally up all my receipts and it brought a total just shy of $800. So...It did work out for me!!...but that also requires consistent, copious amounts of drinking..I was also ordering more expensive frozen or complicated cocktails I wouldnt normally get.

So, about how much is a bucket of beer? We will be traveling with two others. Two of us are wine and mixed drink people and the others are beer people and will probably drink two to 3 buckets a day. I am just trying to figure out if the package will benefit us or not. Thanks.

Buckets (from memory) are around $27.50 +15% so around $31 for 6

You can take any surplus back to your cabin

Buckets are not available from ALL bars.

On our latest cruise, just pool bars and pub.

If you just drink beer I can't see the UBP working for you. The UBP works best for cocktail and wine drinkers in my opinion.

A NCL rep said to someone we are traveling with that they would not be offering the drink package during the spring break season. Has anyone else heard this?

I hope that is not the case for us but it looks like it may be true since the corporate and large group drink packages are unavailable from March 1st- April 15th! http://www.events.ncl.com/assets/documents/18282GroupBeverageFlyer.pdf

Edited by 2boyzmom

Buckets (from memory) are around $27.50 +15% so around $31 for 6

You can take any surplus back to your cabin

Buckets are not available from ALL bars.

On our latest cruise, just pool bars and pub.

If you just drink beer I can't see the UBP working for you. The UBP works best for cocktail and wine drinkers in my opinion.

It depends on the quantity, if someone is drinking 12 beers a day that's the equivilent of two buckets at $62.

A NCL rep said to someone we are traveling with that they would not be offering the drink package during the spring break season. Has anyone else heard this?

It makes sense. It has to be remembered that NCL offers this program to make money, not because they want to do everyone a favor. They take the gamble that most people will not drink the amount necessary to break even with the program. NCL probably figures that during Spring Break they are more likely to lose money on the program so they suspend it during that time frame.

It depends on the quantity, if someone is drinking 12 beers a day that's the equivilent of two buckets at $62.

The down side buying one beer at a time. Nothing better then a bucket or two in the suite to enjoy on the balcony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Thanks Linda. Odd it says nothing about buying a soda package for those in your cabin under age.

I picked up on that. Makes you wonder, doesn't it? Maybe they will do away with that requirement?

Came from NCL to my agency.

I'm debating this.

Last cruise (7 day on the Spirit), I spent ~390 on drinks - and this included a Bon Voyage package that I didn't finish and two bottles of wine.

This (7 day on the Star) would end up being 343 + 52 (gratuity) + 33 (NOLA Sales Tax @ 9.75%) = 428

There IS the convenience of not having to go back to my room to top off (which is why the BV liquor was carried off the ship with me), and I'm sure I'll order more from the bar if it's covered. And really, that 30 dollar difference all goes to NOLA, annnnyhow.

Though, I had an inside room last time, and this time I'll have a balcony, so I might actually spend more time in my room than I did last trip.

Gah! It'll be nice to not have to worry about the size of the bar bill at the end of the trip. But.

I don't know. I think it might be a wash either way.

Edited by justkiya

I am heading out on a 9 night cruise soon ... not soon enough but .... with 4 port days that I know we will get out of the ship, do some excursion and come back late afternoon, then you are left with only dinner time and the evening to drink your "minimum" of 7 or 8 drinks....or even more if you have beer, then you better get 6 beers and a few drinks or glass of wine.

I do not think this will be an alternative for us.... we always bring onboard a few bottles of champagne and red wine, and we order a couple of beer buckets per day.

I read somewhere on CC that you could even get 2/1 on beer buckets during happy hour in a certain bar....if that is the case, no way this package is worth it for us...a few happy hour buckets per day and....voila !

And it's one card per order, multiple drink at a time.....well I think I will pass on this offer.

Did you purchase the package while still in port and were you charged sales tax?

Just came back from an 11-day on the Sun. I was in a cabin with 2 others. Total came to $619/each. Honestly, If you're not a HEAVY drinker or if you're mostly drinking beer/cheaper mixes this package probably won't work in favor for you. There are ways to drink cheaply as listed earlier. However, it is nice to not have to think about the bill at the end.

Since you can't see the individual drinks on the final statement you receive, I decided to tally up all my receipts and it brought a total just shy of $800. So...It did work out for me!!...but that also requires consistent, copious amounts of drinking..I was also ordering more expensive frozen or complicated cocktails I wouldnt normally get.