The list of drinks included in UBP

mw_1970

Initially it was stated that anyone who shares a cabin must participate in the program. I am sailing with BFF. Obviously we will have different folios. So, she doesn't have to participate if I want to?

I believe you will find you both have to purchase the plan even if using separate credit cards. You are on the same booking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Re: beer and wine, someone posted in another thread recently that NCL has also begun offering an unlimited beer and wine package for much less than the UBP (something like $20 per person per day, I think), although I believe it has many restrictions (only draft beer and only served from particular bars or restaurants on the ship).

$18 a day per person for the duration of the cruise. Only wine and beer in the main dining rooms. I thought it was only at dinner also, not lunch.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The UBP is the Ultimate Beverage Package. It is a new program that NCL is offering fleet wide sans the Pride of America. It includes beer, wine by the glass, well drinks, soft drinks etc. Cost is $49 USD per person + a 15 percent automatic gratuity. Must be purchased for the length of the cruise at the beginning of the cruise. Also, everyone that is listed on your shipboard account aka "folio" must purchase the package. If they are underage, they must purchase the soda package. Doesn't include premium liquors, wines by the bottle, anything from the mini bar, sodas by the can (only glass) and bottled water.

Cans were included on Spirit since the only bar with soda pump/gun is in maharinis.

Also they gave people until the 2nd or 3rd day to purchase package but they were billed for the full 9 day cruise @ $49 a day each.

Hi

Don't want to start a new thread and since most people in this thread do drink....

I don't think I can justify the UBP so next steps would be sales or specials. I know there is a "Drink of the Day", but is there a 'happy hour' or something like that? I have heard of 'Beer Tasting'

The only other special I am aware of is the buy 5 beers, get 6.

Thanks

Hi

Don't want to start a new thread and since most people in this thread do drink....

I don't think I can justify the UBP so next steps would be sales or specials. I know there is a "Drink of the Day", but is there a 'happy hour' or something like that? I have heard of 'Beer Tasting'

The only other special I am aware of is the buy 5 beers, get 6.

Thanks

There will be the Drink of the Day specials, souvenir specials, buy five, get six bottles of beer, happy hour at a designated bar, beer tasting, wine tastings, margarita tastings, mojito tastings, martini tasting and just heard of a whiskey tasting on another review this morning. Also, the pub crawl and you can bring on unlimited amounts of wine for a $15 per 750-ml bottle corkage fee.

I've enjoyed happy hour martini specials and the "buy five, get sixth beer free" specials in the past, but I wonder if those will still continue with the roll out of the UBP. I can't see why they wouldn't, unless not offering any specials is another way to entice people into buying the package.

Just got off the phone with our cruise representative from Vacations to Go, who hadn't heard of this offering yet. She called NCL and got the low down and let me know the following:

The only package the Gem is offering is the 49.99 package that includes well, call, beer, wine, coffee, soda. Top shelf is additional.

Each person in a shared cabin must purchase the pass. This is a quandary for us in particular as there are 3 sharing a cabin.

Hope this helps.

Just got off the phone with our cruise representative from Vacations to Go, who hadn't heard of this offering yet. She called NCL and got the low down and let me know the following:

The only package the Gem is offering is the 49.99 package that includes well, call, beer, wine, coffee, soda. Top shelf is additional.

Each person in a shared cabin must purchase the pass. This is a quandary for us in particular as there are 3 sharing a cabin.

Hope this helps.

I missed that coffee is included-that's cool!

Clarified a few details with Norwegian just now. Drinks that are included in the purchase price of your cruise: water/milk/tea/coffee.

A soda pass is 6.25 per person per day + 15%

The UBP doesn't include bottled water.

There are coffee makers in the room, and you can bring coffee on board.

Apologies if this info is redundant, I'm new to this.

For anyone who has purchased this first day: were you charged sales tax while in port? That's a big nut to the port city. I know when we are in the NYC pier that anything we purchase until sailing is taxed.

thanks

Kathy

So are you saying not to buy it till we leave port??:confused:

So are you saying not to buy it till we leave port??:confused:

I don't know, that's why I posted the question. Any of our cruises out of NYC we have paid sales tax on our drink purchases before we set sail. With this package for the two of us we'd be looking at forking out at least another $65 to cover the sales tax.

Kathy

For anyone who has purchased this first day: were you charged sales tax while in port? That's a big nut to the port city. I know when we are in the NYC pier that anything we purchase until sailing is taxed.

thanks

Kathy

Ok.

We boarded in Barcelona and tried to sign up straight away. We were told we couldn't due to port taxes so, we were told to order drinks (that were included on list), sign for them and then return to atrium at 10pm once ship was sailing to officially sign up and then all drinks purchased up to that point would be credited back to our account.

Was very straight forward and well organised.

I have an interesting situation. My wife, daughter and I will be cruising later this month. I would definitely be interested in the UBP, and I know that you MUST purchase it for everyone in the room.

Now...my situation:

My wife will be 4.5 months pregnant with twins (so she is showing already) so they can't think we are making it up to save a buck! So, obviously she can't/shouldn't drink. Will they still make us pay for the UBP for a pregnant woman??? Seems a bit irresponsible?!

Also, My daughter is 2 1/2, and there is NO WAY she will HAVE TO pay for a soda package! We have never given her soda, and will not start on the cruise.

So will I have to waste $50/day on a pregnant woman and $7/day on a toddler that does not drink soda?? If so, looks like no UBP for me!!

Edited by NJEMT65

Hello All: Thinking of booking a sail on the Gem in September through Canada. I cannot see anything on the Norwegian site that talks about the UBP package. Why would they not immediately publicize this offering?

I appreciate all the input here, and I was wondering....when you say coffee is included, does that also mean specialty alcohol coffees? Of course, using the alcohol within the package.

I would guess that by September, NCL will have all this worked out. I remember Celebrity going through the same newness curve back in 2010.

If the Gem is offering this package, it certainly would sway our decision to sail with them.... I hate the surprising drink tabs at the end of a cruise. :eek:

Thanks

Hello All: Thinking of booking a sail on the Gem in September through Canada. I cannot see anything on the Norwegian site that talks about the UBP package. Why would they not immediately publicize this offering?

I appreciate all the input here, and I was wondering....when you say coffee is included, does that also mean specialty alcohol coffees? Of course, using the alcohol within the package.

I would guess that by September, NCL will have all this worked out. I remember Celebrity going through the same newness curve back in 2010.

If the Gem is offering this package, it certainly would sway our decision to sail with them.... I hate the surprising drink tabs at the end of a cruise. :eek:

Thanks

They said "specialty coffees"are not included, whichi took to mean lattes, mochas, etc. I had no trouble getting a Baileys and coffee though :-)

Thanks

About November NCL started to introduce the trial of this package, they should put out (if they haven't already) a press release if it goes fleetwide and becomes permanent.

As far as I know it is still only in the trial phase, thats why there is such limited and conflicting information on it.

I have an interesting situation. My wife, daughter and I will be cruising later this month. I would definitely be interested in the UBP, and I know that you MUST purchase it for everyone in the room.

Now...my situation:

My wife will be 4.5 months pregnant with twins (so she is showing already) so they can't think we are making it up to save a buck! So, obviously she can't/shouldn't drink. Will they still make us pay for the UBP for a pregnant woman??? Seems a bit irresponsible?!

Also, My daughter is 2 1/2, and there is NO WAY she will HAVE TO pay for a soda package! We have never given her soda, and will not start on the cruise.

So will I have to waste $50/day on a pregnant woman and $7/day on a toddler that does not drink soda?? If so, looks like no UBP for me!!

IIRC the soda package for those 12 and under is less than it is for adults and I believe that I read that only passengers over a certain age are required to get the soda package. I see two options for you:

1) Make your drink budget what the total of the UBP would be if you did have to get it for everyone. (If you are going to drink more than that total then it would make sense to just go ahead and buy the package in the first place because you will still be saving money.);

2) Go to the Bar Manager with your wife and politely ask if he will make an exception to her having to buy the package because of her condition. If he says no revert to plan 1.

Now...my situation:

It's hard to say at this point what exceptions, if any they will make. But I don't think your situation is that different than a lot of other people. There are many reasons that one adult only in a stateroom may not be able to drink. It may be due to pregnant, breast feeding, illness, medications, non-drinking alcoholic etc. All very understandable, but that would somewhat defeat their purpose.