Belize gone??? Need Help!

jovifan78

We enjoyed cave tubing in Belize a LOT, but the driver we had (rather, the roads) were scary, LOL! I was also pretty scared we'd miss our ship back (non-Carnival excursion) because he let everyone lollygag for photos at the end of the day and STILL stopped off at his sisters little gas station / grocery store.

We made it, though, and got to try several beers we likely wouldn't have otherwise... I thought Belize was beautiful and would not hesitate to return, even though the driving style left a lot to be desired =P

I apologize if this has been discussed on the board, I checked 6 pages but didn't see anything. But has anybody tried to book a cruise with Belize as a port of call? That's one place I really want to go and for the life of me it is not showing up when I do a search for cruises! Is Carnival taking this port away for good?

Thanks

GC

Hopefilly, you will get to Belize on your cruise or at another time in the future. It's a beautiful place to visit. I've been to Ambergris Cay, Shark Ray Alley, Altun Ha, Xanantunich, and cave tubing and some excellent snorkel trips on some of my excursions there. Just my opinion, but Belize (and Roatan) are the reasons I've preferred the western itineraries.

I've been to Belieze twice and loved it both times. I went on excursions out of the fences in area and never felt unsafe. Cave tubing was fun and I also went to Altum Ha (Mayan ruins). Never had a problem. It's interesting that English is the first and main language of Belize.

I went to Belize in November on the Liberty and dont care if I ever get back. Even though we had an excursion booked and enjoyed it. It took over an hour to get there through a very poor country side and another ride back.

I'm glad they took it off. I think there are much better ports out there for people to spend their vacation money on.

We are in the effected group of Glory passengers, and personal opinions of Belize as a port notwithstanding, I am wondering if Carnival will let those of us who booked a cruise to Belize know that we will no longer be going there. We're pretty new to cruising, so we aren't familiar with how this works. Will we be getting a letter or an email, or if I wasn't a CC member, would we just show up for our cruise and discover that we aren't going where we thought we were.

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else, and do you remember if you received notification prior to sailing?

Been to Belize twice an walked freely outside the gates as well and somehow I lived to tell the tale!:p Guess the nervous nellies won't be happy till cruises only go to artificial, man-made ports like the "private islands" so as to avoid running into any unwashed locals. And when that happnes they will still insist on calling what they do "traveling".:rolleyes:

I agree! We stayed a week on Ambergris Caye and loved it. My husband and son are doing a week long fishing trip in Belize.

Looks like the Liberty is going there every other weekend starting 3/23/13 through the end of the year. Glory 4/14/13, 4/28/13, 11/10/13, 11/24/13, and 1/5/14. Conquest 1/27/13, 2/17/13, 3/31/13, 4/21/13, 5/12/13, 5/19/13, 6/9/13, 6/23/13, 7/14/13, 7/28/13, 8/11/13, 8/18/13, 9/8/13, 9/22/13, 10/13/13, 10/27/13, 12/1/13, 12/15/13, and 12/29/13.

There may be even more, but I got tired of looking. Needless to say there are still a bunch of options going to Belize on the Carnival website.

I went to Belize on our 1 year anniversary cruise adn swore that we would never go back. It was so depressing! Kids begging on the streets, our driver almost ran over one because th child hung on to our bus trying to sell us corn or something. I was so sad.

We did, however, go cavetubing which was awesome and had beautiful scenery, but the drive there and back was enough to scare us away from ever going there again...

we will be on the 2/10 sailing on the Legend, I booked a snorkel tour for Belize, they pick us up right from the ship. I am looking forward to this trip, lets hope if they do cancel they will let those of us who have already booked shore excursions through Carnival have 1st priority at rebooking.

have been to Altun Ha ...better Mayan ruins than Mexico IMHO .....

I know it has to do with the eye of the beholder, and all that, but it is hard to believe you have ever been to Chichen Itza. I mean, it is in a completely different league than Altun Ha.

Teotihuacan also, although of course that is Aztec.

We are in the effected group of Glory passengers, and personal opinions of Belize as a port notwithstanding, I am wondering if Carnival will let those of us who booked a cruise to Belize know that we will no longer be going there. We're pretty new to cruising, so we aren't familiar with how this works. Will we be getting a letter or an email, or if I wasn't a CC member, would we just show up for our cruise and discover that we aren't going where we thought we were.

Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else, and do you remember if you received notification prior to sailing?

Macandlucy, we're in the "same boat", pardon the pun, as you. We are on the Glory 2/17 and will be missing Belize. We are bummed because we were going to go cave tubing but I have researched CM and we will go to Mahahaul for a beach day. We still have not gotten notified by Carnival but our itinerary has changed on their website.

[quote name='birdy']Macandlucy, we're in the "same boat", pardon the pun, as you. We are on the Glory 2/17 and will be missing Belize. We are bummed because we were going to go cave tubing but I have researched CM and we will go to Mahahaul for a beach day. We still have not gotten notified by Carnival but our itinerary has changed on their website.[/quote]

We are on the Glory also, we just got our email of itinarary change today.

We sail on the Glory on Jan. 20 and I received two emails and a phone call on the 8th. Not sure if we were contacted sooner because we sail sooner or because we used a travel agent. Either way we are happy with the change.

Understand from a passenger who is on the Magic in March that all US military personnel are not allowed to go on a ship that lists Belize on the cruise due to a warning of gang homicides in the last few days. The warning is issued by under Travel Advisories for Belize. Wonder since no military personnel can go there, if Carnival will cancel all cruises to Belize until tensions calm down? If so, the sooner we find out, the better so that excursions can be changed.

[quote name='Familyfuncruise !']I did notice on Johns facebook page several sailings to Belize have been canceled. Not sure why, although your not missing anything IMO. We went last April and found even the port to be lacking, we did not travel outside of the gates except to get a coconut and that was pretty scary, we are glad we did not book an excursion. Tender is something to be desired as well. We made the best of our time there and enjoyed what we chose to do but would not care to travel back there. I know there are others who have had a wonderful time and loved it there.

Also we found out of all the stops this was the only one that was entirely enclosed with barbed wire and the waters near the port were littered as well[/QUOTE]

because Belize is a tender port, the port of authority in belize wants to charge all ships seventy five cents more per person that steps on there island then they invited a whole bunch more ships so now the port is also over congested

[quote name='CountryFox']because Belize is a tender port, the port of authority in belize wants to charge all ships seventy five cents more per person that steps on there island then they invited a whole bunch more ships so now the port is also over congested[/quote]
I'm a bit confused about this statement.:confused: Are you saying they are rushing there so they can pay the increase?

When I talked to my personal cruise consultant yesterday she said she had just gotten a memo saying the Legend will be substituting Costa Maya for Belize. She said official notices have not been sent out yet but we should receive an email. She didn't say what day it would start. We sail on February 17. So far it stills lists Belize as a stop on the website.

[quote name='sharecruises']I think I read Legend was cancelling Belize...but then it is off to Europe this spring anyhow so maybe they redid her schedule??

I like Belize...have been to Altun Ha ...better Mayan ruins than Mexico IMHO, you can climb them, touch them...really neat

did the cave tubing thru the "Mayan Caves">> that was neat, really different

I have been to a farm/eaten dinner there under a Palupa...yummy

been to another out of the way locals restaurant

another time took a horse/buggy ride , interesting...shopped "outside the gates" at the locals flea market, much better prices

shopped at port...I like Belize...you better Belize it <grin>

PS : 12-21-2012 : Mayan April Fool's Day[/quote]As they say Belize is unBelizeable!
I agree, if you plan excursions with reputable-well recommended guides should be okay. As you mentioned we have done almost 80% of what you mentioned and loved them all. Altun Ha was our first ruins along with a mild mountain bike ride to get there, and near the top highlite of all our cruises. On the other hand once we went without a plan, and outisde gates is very sketchy, and only worth shop at "knock off shops" or else a day to enjoy the ship.

[quote name='relic937']If you have never been to Belize there is a port area with a bunch of shops with about a 12 foot fence behind them. They told us NOT to go beyond the fence unless you have an excursion.

If we ever go back we will stay on the ship......I am a police officer and I did not feel safe taking my family outside of the safe area.[/quote]

We have always felt the same way and my husband is also an Officer and I used to be one!

Archived