bar crawl / hop ....which bars should i add to my "to do" list

Kajunswty

i guess the question could also be, whats your favorite Key West bar and why? (drinks / atmosphere...etc)

which bars have signature drinks?

this should be a fun thread...let the suggestions begin

I liked the "Flying Monkey" Saloon - they have frozen drinks, kinda like Fat Tuesday - got a cute t-shirt there too!

Irish Kevin's on Duval is a favorite of my sons and daughter-in-law. They like the music and the little shop with cool T-shirts, beer coozies, and so on.

Another favorite is Hog's Breath. It has good entertainment and an even bigger gift shop than Irish Kevin's. Their slogan is "A hog's breath is better than no breath at all."

The Rum Barrel is famous for their Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches. My son won't go to Key West without stopping in for those cheese steak sandwiches.

Of course Sloppy Joe's on Duval is mandatory for the history, but my son and daughter-in-law actually prefer the back room bar there because of its selection of beers. For the life of me, I can't remember if this backroom has a different name.

Another historic bar is the Green Parrot which is the very first bar on US Highway 1. Their slogan is "No sniveling." I've driven by there many times when it didn't look like much was happening, though.

Irish Kevin's for sure. That place is awesome. I would also add Capt Tony's - if you have any Buffett fans they will be familiar with the place from the songs. I also like Rum Barrel although they really don't have a great "bar" atmosphere.

Thanks eveyone! We will be there from 12 - 8

I should have mentioned that :rolleyes:

here's the list....

"Flying Monkey" Saloon

Irish Kevin's on Duval

Hog's Breath

The Rum Barrel is famous for their Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches

Sloppy Joe's on Duval is mandatory for the history

back room bar there because of its selection of beers

Green Parrot which is the very first bar on US Highway 1

Capt Tony's

We've been to the flying monkey and irish kevins on the last trip. Hogs breath sounds like a good time and we'll scout out the rum barrel for sure, LOVE me some philly cheese

Irish Kevin's on Duval is a favorite of my sons and daughter-in-law. They like the music and the little shop with cool T-shirts, beer coozies, and so on.

Another favorite is Hog's Breath. It has good entertainment and an even bigger gift shop than Irish Kevin's. Their slogan is "A hog's breath is better than no breath at all."

The Rum Barrel is famous for their Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches. My son won't go to Key West without stopping in for those cheese steak sandwiches.

Of course Sloppy Joe's on Duval is mandatory for the history, but my son and daughter-in-law actually prefer the back room bar there because of its selection of beers. For the life of me, I can't remember if this backroom has a different name.

Another historic bar is the Green Parrot which is the very first bar on US Highway 1. Their slogan is "No sniveling." I've driven by there many times when it didn't look like much was happening, though.

i was able to find addresses for everything except back room bar...thanks for posting :D

i was able to find addresses for everything except back room bar...thanks for posting :D

Greetings

I believe he is refering to Joe's Tap Room. It is part of Sloppy's and the entrance is located on Greene. They have a variety of craft beers on tap.

Good Sailing

Tom

Greetings

I believe he is refering to Joe's Tap Room. It is part of Sloppy's and the entrance is located on Greene. They have a variety of craft beers on tap.

Good Sailing

Tom

Yes, that is exactly the place. My son and daughter-in-law are big craft beer aficionaods. That is why they prefer Joe's Tap Room to the actual Sloppy Joe's.

Greetings

I personally would never think of visiting and not sitting my bottom on a ricketty chair at Schooner's Wharf and listening to McCloud play. If you want a spot where the locals hang, then Schooners is your place.

Good Sailing

Tom

This is a favorite place of my husband. We have some of McCloud's CDs and play them when we miss Key West. It can get really hot there, but if McCloud is playing, it is worth it.

It's Schooner Wharf, not Schooner's (not picking on tunaman, just a common mistake I note here:)).

For your scavenger hunt assignment, find the Chart Room Bar:D

I second the following: Captain Tony's, Irish Kevins, Hogs Breath and Schooner Wharf.

According to my wife, if you are into a Bloody Mary, Tree House bar is the place. I will second the Flying Monkey for a frozen concoction...good stuff.

Schooner Wharf was also good. Great atmosphere, bad attitudes...love it! They are building a whole NEW section of Schooner Wharf...but I like the run down "dive" feel of the way it is now. If you go, go upstairs and sit on the open deck. Great views of the harbor!

Pete

Update

We're back & made it to 10 bars...had a drink at each one. What a fun day we had :) here's the bar list

Key west bars

1Hogs breath

2Worlds smallest

3Captain Tony's

4Sloppy joes

5Lazy gecko

6Irish Kevin

7Flying monkey

8The porch

9Caroline

10Jack flats

Walked going and took a pedicab back to watch sunset at the square, which was a bust because of cloudy / overcast weather

• 1 month later...

Someone recently told me that "Kelly's Caribbean Bar" is owned by actress Kelly McGillis, and that they have the best margaritas ever? Now keep in mind, I'm not speaking from experience, but, wondered if anybody else had been?

Someone recently told me that "Kelly's Caribbean Bar" is owned by actress Kelly McGillis, and that they have the best margaritas ever? Now keep in mind, I'm not speaking from experience, but, wondered if anybody else had been?

Yes she is the owner; but I would hardly say they are the best margaritas.;)

Mike:)

Archived