Kind of a Random Question

RedLightVegas

I've never tried this before because I've never felt the need for it.

What is the cruise policy on bringing outside food onto the boat? More importantly cookies and/or cake? My husbands birthday is on the week we're going on the Epic and I wanted to surprise him with this cheesecake he's been begging me to make practically ever since we got together. I thought it'd be cute to do it in our stateroom balcony one night just as a random surprise. If I brought it on a small carryon do you think they'd say anything if they saw it in my bag at Xray/check in?

It's not like the cruise line will lose a boatload of money off of it.

Also, with NCL can you bring soda on board? I know the obvious is to sneak it on, but can you bring anything in your carry on soda wise?

We have brought water, soda and cheesecake. My husband loves cheesecake and and found some before we boarded in Los Angeles. We took it on board without a problem. I don't think they let you bring food from ports on board.

Wow, that's awesome. I had no idea you could bring food on the ship at embarkation.

We bring soda bottles and some water bottles with us each cruise. We bring the bottles because I think they would travel better than cans. We put the bottles in a rolling suit case. Usually about 10 sodas and 8 waters, or there about. This was we have an extra suit case when bringing home stuff we collect while on the cruise. The soda and water is great to have back at the cabin when you don't feel like traveling out for a drink. As far as bringing food onboard, it was my understanding that only pre-packaged food was allowed on board.

This may be a very port specific practice - so you may want to be prepared to lose the cheesecake. In LA, we had donuts from a local bakery (outside of our carry on luggage) and the did not let us take them on. Now, if we have something, we always put it in our bag and be prepared to have them taken away by not being allowed.

We have had luck bringing back some local food in some ports (Cozumel for one comes to mind).

I believe the general rule is that outside food is not allowed.

This may be a very port specific practice - so you may want to be prepared to lose the cheesecake. In LA, we had donuts from a local bakery (outside of our carry on luggage) and the did not let us take them on. Now, if we have something, we always put it in our bag and be prepared to have them taken away by not being allowed.

We have had luck bringing back some local food in some ports (Cozumel for one comes to mind).

I believe the general rule is that outside food is not allowed.

The cheesecake was in a rolling carry on bag. Maybe they just missed it? As for the soda, the first time we sailed the port guy said if it was in a suitcase or a closed bag other than the plastic store bag, we could have just placed a luggage tag on it and it would be taken to our room with our luggage. Since we left it in a grocery bag we had to carry it with us until we could go to our cabin. Another time we brought a case of water and put a luggage tag on it and put it with our luggage. It was in our cabin later with our other luggage. I think we may have just gotten lucky that time though!

My last cruise out of Miami there were people outside of the terminal having passengers throw away any food that wasn't in a factory-sealed package. One family was eating a bag of chips and, because they were opened, they had to toss 'em!

I took bagels from NYC on at embarkation, but I almost had the Dunkin Donuts confiscated at Port Canaveral.

I've seen a thread about pizza not being allowed to be taken on the ships during the Med cruises. Dude sat and ate the whole thing instead of trashing it, so the story goes.

on a med cruise they wouldn't even allow us on with Gelato that we purchased at a stand directly across from the ship...and forget pizza or anything else yummy....They did let us bring on bottles of Limoncello..found that strange since they were so strict about all other alcohol/

I don't know about the cheesecake, but I will tell you that if you bring water or soda, you may want to consider keeping it in your carry on luggage. We had some bottles of water in a checked bag and had to go stand in the "naughty line" to get it the first night. They were aware it was water because there was a sticker they had put indicating so, but it was kind of a hassle and we won't be doing that again!

I have no clue if you are allowed to bring a cake or not but if you can't here is an option.

We just sailed on NCL and my son decided he wanted to surprise his dad with a "Surprise Party" as a thank you for our 3 weeks of holidays over Christmas. All we did was go to Customer Service and with 24hrs notice and less than $30.00 we had ordered a fresh cake to our specifications and decorations and Balloons (that they put up) for our cabin at our specified time.

It was really special and very economical... :)

Instead of us all speculating, I think it would be best if you called NCL to find out if the cheesecake would be allowed. If not, could you make it and just give it to him the day before? It is a lot of work to prepare a cheesecake, I would hate for it to be thrown in the trash upon embarkation if not allowed.

Re: soft drinks and bottled water. You are allowed as much as you want to bring on. NCL serves Pepsi products, not Coke. No Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper either. Feel free to bring it aboard.

Let us know what NCL says about the cheesecake. I have a feeling that it will not be allowed as it is not commercially prepared nor is it in a sealed package. Definitely different from rum cakes as someone else mentioned above.

Archived