You won the cruise for 2... Is this a scam?

Rafaella

I just received a card in mail saying that I have won a cruise for 2 Norwegian cruise line plus 2 air tickets to the destination of the cruise line. All I have to do is go and listen to the traveling agency presentation. From what I understand, I am not required to become a member of this organization nor do I have to sign up for anything or pay any fees.. Although, they did asked me over the phone my age, my income, and if I own a credit card. They said that credit card needed as a form of second ID for the presentation. I would not need to give them the number of my credit card, according to my phone conversation with one of the reps of this "travel agency." Does this sounds fishy of what? Does anyone has some similar experience with this? You won a free cruise for 2? Anyone? Please, share. Thank you.

look into the company online. we received a notice about getting two free airline tickets if we attended a presentation. before we declined or confirmed, i checked out the company online. most people who attended the presentation never got their flight tickets, other people were unable to use the tickets they received. people who signed an agreement with the company said they were ripped off.

your offer could be completely legitimate, but take a few minutes and look up the company.

My immediate reaction is what part of "timeshare hustle" do you not understand? ;)

And others are "vacation clubs" that are even worse. Some of them give you a free cruise and you have to pay port fees, taxes, etc. to make it not worthwhile.

I always google them to see what the sales pitch (or even scam) is. Another reaction of mine is: how did I win anything when I didn't enter?

Edited by blindrid

Try googling the name of the travel agency, or look them up with the Better Business Bureau to see if there are any complaints.

I don't have any personal experience with this, but it sounds like a timeshare demonstration. If it's legit, then you'll need to sit through a high-pressure sales pitch in order to claim your 'prize.'

If you decide to attend, use your judgment about showing the credit card. I would be suspicious of any business specifically requiring a credit card as a second form of ID. Surely a government-issued photo ID should be enough. What reason did they give for requiring two forms of ID in the first place?

Of course, it's also possible that they do not require a credit card for ID purposes, but they want you to bring one so that you'll have it handy to swipe when you decide to buy whatever they're trying to sell you.

Anything like this that arrives in my mail I am highly suspect of. Too good to be true? then it is likely a scam of some sort. You go to the presentation but have to sign up for something else that costs mucho bucks! To me there is no such thing as a free ride, when you havent entered a prize drawing or bought a ticket on a drawing etc. As the other poster said, check out the company name online. If you cant find anything it is bogus, or something that hides under a cloak of a "business", but you end up spending a lot of money to get that free cruise. Not worth the effort IMO.

It is either one of 2 things. First it could be a come and listen to our timeshare thing, for a 6 hours for 2 days, or they are giving you 1 free person, with the other being the brochure price. Most cruisers travel at 80% off the brochure price. As a person that knows the business statistics, the average price for a cruise is actually 83.1% off the brochure price.

Also if it sounds to good to be true. Likely it may be. Contact the company about the ad. NCL should know who is selling their product. If not you have another issue.

Try googling the name of the travel agency, or look them up with the Better Business Bureau to see if there are any complaints.

I don't have any personal experience with this, but it sounds like a timeshare demonstration. If it's legit, then you'll need to sit through a high-pressure sales pitch in order to claim your 'prize.'

If you decide to attend, use your judgment about showing the credit card. I would be suspicious of any business specifically requiring a credit card as a second form of ID. Surely a government-issued photo ID should be enough. What reason did they give for requiring two forms of ID in the first place?

Of course, it's also possible that they do not require a credit card for ID purposes, but they want you to bring one so that you'll have it handy to swipe when you decide to buy whatever they're trying to sell you.

bingo!

Actually, the front of the card stated " this is NOT a timeshare promotion. and this is NOT an attempt to sell any land or property..." ????? So, timeshare is out of question. Yet, there is still a question how legit is this offer? When I have called to NCL, the rep told me they "don't have anything to do with this kind of promotion." She added that " people call all the time about these free cruises for 2.." The NCL told me that their cruise company, basically, cannot comment on weather it is a scam or not, they just remain without comments. The travel agency did not deny over the phone that the invitation/promotion is coming from them and not from NCL. Although, it is a great deception and a falsification of presentation of their part!!! They have used a logo of NCL on the front of the card to trap the people! So, I pretty sure now, it is a scam. Plus, someone had mentioned if you did not enter, how could you win? LOL

If you can think of a conceivable way this travel agency could possibly be profiting from giving away $2,000 worth of cruise fares and probably another $1,000 worth of airfare simply in exchange for sitting through a meeting, then you should totally do this. Good luck.

Spoiler alert: There is no way. It is a scam.

I get one of these every couple of months. I've written them all off. They are immediately being deceptive when they show all the NCL (or CCL, or United Airlines, etc.) logos and info, only to have in tiny print (if at all) that it's not affiliated with the line. I don't want to do business with any company that does that, regardless of the offer.

One time I got curious and dug deeper. It was for property ownership (saying it wasn't a timeshare was just being technical), and the prize was awarded based on a "drawing". Not everyone got it. Again, fine print that's not even on the card. I just laugh and throw them away now, wondering how many "little old ladies" end up in some high pressure sales pitch and buying something forced on them by unscrupulous sales people

Actually, the front of the card stated " this is NOT a timeshare promotion. and this is NOT an attempt to sell any land or property..." ????? So, timeshare is out of question.

I'm curious what they said you had to do for this? I will admit I went to one of these presentations once for the "free airline tickets". Sat there and listened as they tried to see not a timeshare but a "vacation club" or something like that. And they try hard! $10K too much? How about $5K? I feel so bad for people that fall for it. Never got the airline tickets, but it was worth a shot and only cost me an hour of my time. I say if it only costs you an hour and nothing more, then why not?

I'm curious what they said you had to do for this? I will admit I went to one of these presentations once for the "free airline tickets". Sat there and listened as they tried to see not a timeshare but a "vacation club" or something like that. And they try hard! $10K too much? How about $5K? I feel so bad for people that fall for it. Never got the airline tickets, but it was worth a shot and only cost me an hour of my time. I say if it only costs you an hour and nothing more, then why not?

Vacation club - 'nuff said. Only an hour of my time - 'nuff said.

All for a one-night cruise to nowhere (or something like that). That and airline tickets with more booking restrictions than they are worth.

Thanks but no thanks. They prey on all of us thinking a week long cruise, getting free air to get there - all for the free. Of course our natural instinct to to call. But to me, no way in h***.

Does this sounds fishy of what?

One easy way to tell is to look at the postage on the mailing: Does it say "presorted first class"? or even "bulk"? If so, then it is part of a mass mailing. Thousands and thousands of other people received exactly the same mailing. I used to work as a letter carrier, and I had to laugh when I delivered the same "Congratulations, You're a Winner!" mailing to every person on my route.

So what company is in the business of giving away free cruises worth thousands of dollars with no strings attached to not one person, but thousands of other persons as well? Not a good business model.

Every year I receive dozens of mailers saying that I won free vacations, $1,000,000, etc. and I just toss them in the trash. Sometimes you might an offer for a legitimate 2 night stay somewhere if you go to a timeshare presentation. but you may need to pay tax, travel expenses, or some other expenses. It just isn't worth the aggrevation.

Edited by Lou33

Once again, if its too good to be true, it isn't. I liken it to the thousands who bought southern Florida "retirement ranches". If you intended to be a "mosquito rancher" with names for your "livestock" like "Buzz" Aldrin, "Slappy" White, etc. go for it.

Barnum said, "A sucker is born every minute."

I agree. I laughed all the way to the bank with the money I received selling off my fur coat at a garage sale. The buyer never knew I crossed state lines, spent all day on a timeshare tour, and got home early the following morning with the prized fur coat award that did not cost me a penny. I was happy with my ten dollars and she was happy with her rabbit jacket. What a sucker she was!

OP, do not do it. Throw the brochure away.

coka;)