All things wi fi

I have all the info regarding the higher speed internet on the Oasis. They are starting on the Allure now. There was a blog back in March of passengers that

got to try it for 2 hours and said it was fast, even with everyone on the ship signing on for the same 2 hours.

We leave in 2 weeks and can't find anyone that has recently sailed to comment

on the wifi.

Edited by samazach

I will be going on Indy on Saturday and still debating whether to take my laptop or not. What is the speed like for games (I play a game on facebook and would like to pop on each day briefly) - would the internet speed cope with that? If so, it would be worth me pre-paying for an internet package but if not I wont bother.

Also is Indy doing an unlimited package yet since her dry dock or is that still only Oasis Class?

Many thanks :)

I will be going on Indy on Saturday and still debating whether to take my laptop or not. What is the speed like for games (I play a game on facebook and would like to pop on each day briefly) - would the internet speed cope with that? If so, it would be worth me pre-paying for an internet package but if not I wont bother.

Also is Indy doing an unlimited package yet since her dry dock or is that still only Oasis Class?

Many thanks :)

The ship's internet is via satellite, so there will a high degree of latency. That would probably not be good for gaming. I would wait until you are onboard and buy a few minutes to test the game before buying a package. I've not heard of an unlimited package offered on Indy yet.

Edited by clarea

The ship's internet is via satellite, so there will a high degree of latency. That would probably not be good for gaming. I would wait until you are onboard and buy a few minutes to test the game before buying a package. I've not heard of an unlimited package offered on Indy yet.

Thank you Bob I appreciate the advice. :)

If you're talking Farmville or the like my SiL was able to take care of hers. It was slow though. We were on the Liberty. Enjoy your cruise.

Just a quick update, as I happened to be looking at a spaceflight launch schedule - the two launches of the O3b constellation of satellites have been delayed by about a month (the first was supposed to happen about now). Now showing as 24 June and sometime in September.

This is the new network that promises much lower latency (the satellites are in lower orbit), which RCI have signed up to use. We'll have to wait a bit longer to find how well it delivers.

• 4 weeks later...
Just a quick update, as I happened to be looking at a spaceflight launch schedule - the two launches of the O3b constellation of satellites have been delayed by about a month (the first was supposed to happen about now). Now showing as 24 June and sometime in September.

This is the new network that promises much lower latency (the satellites are in lower orbit), which RCI have signed up to use. We'll have to wait a bit longer to find how well it delivers.

And I can now report that the first four O3b satellites were finally successfully launched today - the second load is still due to fly in September, which should give them a functioning network by the end of the year.

Can anyone give a review as to how the ship-wide wifi reception is on the newly refurbished ships? How about on the balconies? Sailing on Legend OTS early next year and unfortunately need the connection. Wold sure be nice to sit on the balcony as opposed to having to be at one of the hotspots.

Can anyone give a review as to how the ship-wide wifi reception is on the newly refurbished ships? How about on the balconies? Sailing on Legend OTS early next year and unfortunately need the connection. Wold sure be nice to sit on the balcony as opposed to having to be at one of the hotspots.

I, too, would love to hear reviews on the same. We will be sailing on GotS in January and DH must have the connection. If he couldn't check in with work daily while away, I wouldn't be able to get him to take any vacations. He'll do the hotspot thing if he must, but like you, would much prefer to sit on the balcony while working.

I, too, would love to hear reviews on the same. We will be sailing on GotS in January and DH must have the connection. If he couldn't check in with work daily while away, I wouldn't be able to get him to take any vacations. He'll do the hotspot thing if he must, but like you, would much prefer to sit on the balcony while working.

I have been asking this question for some time and not a single answer so I don't have much hope that anyone will have information for us. I know your DH and I are not the only ones that must keep up with the office.

Seeing you sail out of Baltimore a lot, we must be close as we are outside Philadelphia. Maybe the having to keep up with the office routine is just a regional thing. :)

Edited by mein18

I have been asking this question for some time and not a single answer so I don't have much hope that anyone will have information for us. I know your DH and I are not the only ones that must keep up with the office.

Seeing you sail out of Baltimore a lot, we must be close as we are outside Philadelphia. Maybe the having to keep up with the office routine is just a regional thing. :)

Hmmm, possibly regional, or possibly job type. You're not in the IT field by any chance, are you?;):p DH owns and runs an IT company, and has to keep in touch with employees and clients. He has even had to 'put out some fires' remotely, while on a few of our cruises. If he hadn't been able to be 'connected', he would have lost clients and $$$ a couple of those times.:eek:

I sure hope we can get some replies from those in the know.

Financial, not IT plus I also run an online portion of the business. If it's not the desktop then it is the laptop and if not the laptop we have tablets and smartphones. Easy access anywhere in the world except for our favorite place and that is on a cruise. I sure hope the new ship-wide wifi takes care of the last frontier in internet access.:D

How much does wifi cost on board Indy?

I am copying this from an earlier post in this forum:

The basic rate is USD 0.65 per minute or choose from one of our pre-paid packages:

USD 35.00 for 60 minutes

USD 55.00 for 100 minutes

USD 75.00 for 150 minutes

USD 100.00 for 250 minutes

USD 150.00 for 500 minutes

Ok, I think I have spend the last 2 hours reading every wifi link. I need some help making a decision here. I do plan to call Verizon for clarification, but thought I would see if anyone has experience as well.

We have Verizon. As posted already, they offer .50 to send and 0.05 to receive. I do not consider that bad, except, I do not want to hear from everybody on my cruise so are you paying for every text sent to you, or just what is opened?

They also have $25 for 100MB. Okay, please translate? How long will that last? We have downloaded an app that allows texting over wifi. Thinking some Twitter and Facebook, just so people at home can be jealous. :D

Would we be better off with ships wifi? Going on Oasis. I see that Allure has unlimited. I saw one post that someone said Oasis has unlimited, but that was one post...no other confirmation.

I never thought I would be worried about keeping in touch on a cruise. Leaving husband and son at home so would like to keep in touch with them, and teenage daughter is cruising with me, and well, you know how that goes.

Anybody have experience with Facetime while cruising?

Planning on using cell phones instead of ships computers. Daughter has iphone and I have Galaxy 3. Although, I would be more tempted to use ships computer and keep phone shut off and locked in safe.

Let me know if you have any preferences and thanks in advance!

Ok, I think I have spend the last 2 hours reading every wifi link. I need some help making a decision here. I do plan to call Verizon for clarification, but thought I would see if anyone has experience as well.

We have Verizon. As posted already, they offer .50 to send and 0.05 to receive. I do not consider that bad, except, I do not want to hear from everybody on my cruise so are you paying for every text sent to you, or just what is opened?

They also have $25 for 100MB. Okay, please translate? How long will that last? We have downloaded an app that allows texting over wifi. Thinking some Twitter and Facebook, just so people at home can be jealous. :D

Would we be better off with ships wifi? Going on Oasis. I see that Allure has unlimited. I saw one post that someone said Oasis has unlimited, but that was one post...no other confirmation.

I never thought I would be worried about keeping in touch on a cruise. Leaving husband and son at home so would like to keep in touch with them, and teenage daughter is cruising with me, and well, you know how that goes.

Anybody have experience with Facetime while cruising?

Planning on using cell phones instead of ships computers. Daughter has iphone and I have Galaxy 3. Although, I would be more tempted to use ships computer and keep phone shut off and locked in safe.

Let me know if you have any preferences and thanks in advance!

Regarding the texting, you will get charged for every text your phone receives, whether you open them or not.

Regarding the 100MB, you should do a test while you're still home. Every phone has a way to display data usage. Just clear the number, use your phone for a day, and then look at the number the next day. You'll get an idea of how many MB you use in a day. The problem with Smartphones is virtually every app running is using data, so you might be surprised at how much is being consumed on your phone.

I would not count on Facetime or any other video app working over the ship's WiFi.

My comments on wifi - cruise lines really have to work out a way to get people online for all of the cruise - it's just something people expect now, in the same way that continuous cell phone coverage is now expected and provided by most cruise ships.

The obvious solution is to move to per megabyte charging rather than minute charging. I have no idea why Allure decided to have an outright unlimited plan rather than a megabyte limit (probably accounting software limitations) but every cruise ship should have something available for continuous low use wifi coverage. (Allowing email, iMessage/whatsapp etc). Society is changing and the people who cruise are changing. If you don't want it, don't use it, but some of us like it, and enjoy being connected to the world.

The current pricing would prevent me from wanting to take a long cruise. Regardless of what you believe I'm sure a lot of people feel the same. I'm looking at a future 16 day cruise. Connectivity is a serious issue. I don't want to waste the few port days (I think there's only 5) hunting for Internet. When there are two of us, the per minute pricing becomes unrealistic over that length of time.

As for shore based wifi, why should I spend valuable shore time looking for wifi rather than exploring? Surely sea days are a better time to be relaxing with the web. I don't see it as any more of a 'waste' than reading or sleeping by the pool.

Written from the middle of the ocean on the allure - without having to worry about my minutes ticking down.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by chrisb74

16 days at sea! I'm assuming that's a B2B+

Would be lovely if they could offer a single price for the duration of one's consecutive cruises.

Nope. It's Fremantle to Sydney via New Zealand. 17 days, 7 port days. The rest at sea, or in the remote sounds of new Zealand's south. (Where they don't dock or stop, it's on ship sight seeing). The longest stretch is five consecutive days without getting off.

However, you raise a good point. B2B should be encouraged in the pricing packages for wifi, and drinks.

Nope. It's Fremantle to Sydney via New Zealand. 17 days, 7 port days. The rest at sea, or in the remote sounds of new Zealand's south. (Where they don't dock or stop, it's on ship sight seeing). The longest stretch is five consecutive days without getting off.

However, you raise a good point. B2B should be encouraged in the pricing packages for wifi, and drinks.

Sounds like my dream cruise. Will keep an eye out for this down the line...

My comments on wifi - cruise lines really have to work out a way to get people online for all of the cruise - it's just something people expect now, in the same way that continuous cell phone coverage is now expected and provided by most cruise ships.

The obvious solution is to move to per megabyte charging rather than minute charging. I have no idea why Allure decided to have an outright unlimited plan rather than a megabyte limit (probably accounting software limitations) but every cruise ship should have something available for continuous low use wifi coverage. (Allowing email, iMessage/whatsapp etc). Society is changing and the people who cruise are changing. If you don't want it, don't use it, but some of us like it, and enjoy being connected to the world.

The current pricing would prevent me from wanting to take a long cruise. Regardless of what you believe I'm sure a lot of people feel the same. I'm looking at a future 16 day cruise. Connectivity is a serious issue. I don't want to waste the few port days (I think there's only 5) hunting for Internet. When there are two of us, the per minute pricing becomes unrealistic over that length of time.

As for shore based wifi, why should I spend valuable shore time looking for wifi rather than exploring? Surely sea days are a better time to be relaxing with the web. I don't see it as any more of a 'waste' than reading or sleeping by the pool.

Written from the middle of the ocean on the allure - without having to worry about my minutes ticking down.

Ahhh, a new way to look at Internet access. I wouldn't necessarily mind paying by MB but I'm a tech geek. But most people have no idea how much data they might use in a typical Internet session. By the minute, everyone understands.

I loved the unlimited access on the Allure. There was no time planning required for photos, Facebook, and email.

By the minute is what I had been used to on all of our other cruises. Our free minutes plus another hour was usually sufficient for a couple of carefully planned 10 minute Internet sessions per day.

I agree with your premise that people will want that 'low level' connection. Maybe that MB limit could be per day and you get shut off after you hit your daily limit. You need to be careful, all cell phone functions (except wifi) are billed by your carrier not RCCL.

Hi All,

I have a couple questions about the WiFi on the Freedom of the Seas. My DD has to register for her classes for the Fall Semester on May 29th. It's very important that she register that day when it opens because she is doing a Semester at Sea and she needs certain classes. We will be sailing that week on the Freedom of the Seas. I was going to tell her to bring her laptop and we could just buy the package for the week. My questions are: is it fast? She needs it to be fast to navigator through the pages to register. Next question: are there hotspots on the ship that are better than our cabin? Last question: do we have to buy the package for the week or can we just purchase for that day?

Thanks so much for any information you can share. We have never brought our laptop with us before just used RCI's computers. They would be too slow for this process. :rolleyes:

Speedy it is not. Is it reasonable? Yes. It does somewhat depend on the time of day. Everyone seems to use the Internet from 4-6pm and it gets a lot slower. Sea days are pretty slow all day. Port days when everyone is off the ship, not a surprise, it's fast. I have found the library is usually the fastest wifi hotspot on any ship.

Bringing your own device will save a lot of minutes and it will seem faster. You have your Internet favorites all set up and your passwords are there. If you use the ships device, just typing in all that information takes precious minutes. If you bookmark everything on your laptop ahead of the cruise everything should go smoothly. Just remember to set up your ship's account before your critical session.

There are no weekly packages, only packages of minutes that can be used as needed throughout the week.

As for reception on upgraded ships we were on Splendour in May 2012 and Radiance in September, both ships had great reception. We were aft on both ships and had great reception for the cabin whenever I logged in.

Now if they would just offer the unlimited package like on Allure I would be completely satisfied. :D

Bill

As for reception on upgraded ships we were on Splendour in May 2012 and Radiance in September, both ships had great reception. We were aft on both ships and had great reception for the cabin whenever I logged in.

Now if they would just offer the unlimited package like on Allure I would be completely satisfied. :D

Bill

I suspect they will offer unlimited packages. Since they no longer charge by the minute when they have unlimited packages you pretty much have to buy them. On Allure I had to spend $149. The other packages were not useable. Usually I spend $50 or $75. And I used the Wifi often. Royal comes out ahead with unlimited packages.