LIVE from the Grand Princess - 49 days from FLL thru South America to SFO

Pia1913

We flew home from Buenos Aires in January (reverse trip) and had been to the Faulkands. At the airport, they went through all our pages in Passport. Didn't ask what they were looking for. Don't think we had our passport stamped in Faulkands on our cruise . However, we had several stamps from Great Britain from previous cruises. I have never had someone look through all the pages before at any airport.Apparently all was okay because we flew home no problem.

IECal: We’ve had no information on the Falklands and since politics change from day to day…………who knows. We are due there on Tuesday, Feb. 19th.
I know that the politics between Argentina and Britain/The Falklands are in a state of flux. Just thought the comment from our friends was an interesting change in Argentina's posture. Hope you make it to all the Argentine ports and the Falklands on your next leg.

Capt. Herriott made a shipwide announcement today at 1200 hrs announcing an increase in gastrointestinal illness, and that the ship was moving to "precautions" status. We faced these Noro virus precautions all the way across the Atlantic last Nov/Dec on the Crown, hard on the crew). Haven't been following Pia's Live From, but we echo her recent summaries about the weather, the flat seas, and last evening's comedian (you know when they start with the old gag about re-folding the TP into a triangle end after each use that it's going to be a long, boring routine).

On a positive note, British Invasion was refreshingly well done, with I think different costuming and choreography that we've seen earlier. The 7 piece band and singers and dancers are performing great. All in all, the entertainment has been exceptional and a pleasant surprise. The food has likewise been good, with a varied menu, good selections IMHO, and well prepared. As for escargot, they were on last night's menu (formal night). They haven't yet had traditional onion soup, but have had variations.

Sammi Baker is doing a great job as Cruise Director. She is very visible around the ship, approachable and brings a refreshing, down to earth sensibility to the job. We have come to like her a lot.

Overall, we are extremely pleased by the entire experience offered by Princess on this cruise, and are looking forward to the next 30 days!

I am sorry if I have lost track, but 1) have you gotten to the Falklands yet? 2) were you scheduled for Argentine ports after? and 3) what happened, if anythng?

We are on the Star leaving BA on 2/25, then scheduled for Montevideo, Falklands, and several Atgentine ports after. Just wondering whether we'll be let in or not....

Of course, surprises are always fun....

Just jumping in for a few minutes; internet has been down most of the day. So lucky if this posts at all.

Falklands is next week. Will keep you informed.

Noro: we didn't need an official announcement. When salt and pepper and sugar stuff disappears, we know there's a problem. Whatever there is, we don't know anyone affected. Must have come in from Rio.

I wash my hands so many times a day I'm surprised they still have skin. I wish everyone was as good as I

Hopefully will be able to post in the morning. Goodnite for now at the end of this first leg. What a turnout; over 35,000 hits. I wonder how the rest of this thread will turn out.

See ya.

Happy Valentine’s Day and welcome to Buenos Aires. Today is supposed to be partly cloudy with temp about 80. It supposedly rained all night; hope it’s finished. I will carry an umbrella just in case. This weather report comes from Weather.com, as well as Wunderground.com. Princess Patter says it will be a high of 60.

Most Argentines refer to Buenos Aires as “La Capital” and we in the U.S. call it B.A. Its full name is the City of Our Lady Holy Mary of the Fair Winds. Translated, Buenos Aires means “fair winds.” This is our 4th time here and we have a private tour scheduled. In the past we’ve done winery tours, estancia tour and of course Eva Peron’s resting place Recoleta Cemetery. I recall some years back her body disappeared for a very long time, but when they got her back she was then interred under several feet of concrete in a black marble crypt.

We have been told that we cannot walk in the port and shuttles will be provided. However, they will be using a ticket system and you need your entire party available before tickets will be issued. You then have to wait in DaVinci until your number is called. I am not in charge of our tour, so will just meet our group and “go with the flow.”

For those staying on board they can choose from the movie Hope Springs at 11 AM and that’s about it. All aboard is at 7:30 and muster is at 7:15.

Tonight there’s the movie Bourne Legacy in Vista, Hitch on MUTS and the regular welcome aboard show at 9:45. We also get to lose an hour of sleep tonight. Here we go again!

Internet permitting, I will try to post again tonight. You just never know whether it functions properly on what is technically the first day of a cruise.

Bye.

Just jumping in for a few minutes; internet has been down most of the day. So lucky if this posts at all.

Noro: we didn't need an official announcement. When salt and pepper and sugar stuff disappears, we know there's a problem. Whatever there is, we don't know anyone affected. Must have come in from Rio.

I wash my hands so many times a day I'm surprised they still have skin. I wish everyone was as good as I

Hopefully will be able to post in the morning. Goodnite for now at the end of this first leg. What a turnout; over 35,000 hits. I wonder how the rest of this thread will turn out.

See ya.

Well hope they keep the dreaded 'N' under control:eek::eek:

Im sure the rest of the 'live' will be as great as this first leg has been.

Have fun fun fun!!!

See ya.

Thanks, Pia, and good luck with the Falklands (and later port) visits.

We will be in the air to "Good Air" on Wed. nite, so que sera.....

I can never decide which I need to use more -- purell hand sanitizer or hand cream to help my dry hands recover from hand sanitizer and hand washings.... NM - I would rather do both of those than get "N"!!! Have fun.

We had signed on for a private tour with one of the CC people and off we met at the white piano at 8:15. They wanted all to be present and so we were when we received shuttle #12. Within 5 minutes we were called to disembark. Getting out of the port is circuitous since the shuttle leaves and then re-enters thru an alley way. In any event, we (12 of us) were in the terminal 15 minutes before our tour guide arrived at 9. She, her husband and a drive and an 18 passenger van provided a very comfortable ride.

This tour was basically a general city tour and a jewish tour

combined. We visited a synagogue as well as a cathedral. Very ecumenical. We visited Eva Peron’s resting place (2nd time for us) and the very upbeat area of La Boca. La Boca is an area with colorful houses, but also many restaurants and artsy stuff. Kiosks and stores abound, but I wish they would repair their streets. You really have to watch your step.

Buenos Aires is a city with lots of book stores; all over the place. We visited one interesting place which had a theater setting in the rear. Red velvet curtains; high ceilings. It was a coffee shop, but nothing like Barnes and Noble. I also saw lots of Starbucks, but alas, was never at the right place at the right time. We did stop at a supermarket and I bought several bottles of wine and some cans of beer. When reboarding the ship, it was business as usual. You just put your stuff thru the conveyer and nobody looks.

Having been here twice before, we opted to go back to the ship about 3:15. Four in our group, who had never visited BA, elected to stay in town.

The weather was warm, bordering on hot when the sun came out. Must have been in the 80’s. Too warm for the jeans we decided to wear. We did have a miniscule drizzle at about 2PM, but we were in the bus at that time.

That’s about all I have to offer for now. See you tomorrow in Uruguay.

Good Morning from Montevideo Uruguay, the first port of this second leg of the cruise. We were supposed to arrive just about now, but we left late last night and an announcement was made a few minutes ago that we won’t arrive until about 10. Yes, we’ve been here previously; more than once. So the plan for today is getting my nails done at 9:15 and then meandering off the ship later in the morning or early afternoon. There’sa market right here which will make Mike happy. Quest: a polo that says Uruguay. Thus far, this has alluded him.

Montevideo, the capital, is a city of almost 2 million residents; almost entirely of European descent - chiefly Spanish and Italian. The most prominent feature is the Cerro, a 450 foot knoll with an old fort. The hill, is reputed to have given Montevideo its name when a Portuguese sailor called out on first sighting it “Monte vejo eu” - I see a mountain. Uruguay has often been called the Switzerland of South America because of its small size, its high standard of living and its democratic institutions.

So what did we do last night? Nothing. What had we planned to do last night? Nothing. Right on schedule. Clocks went ahead, so we lost an hour of sleep. Tonight they go back, so we get the hour back immediately. These will be the only time changes for this particular cruise.

On board today is nothing in the morning and the movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith in the theater in the afternoon. Sailaway is at 5:00 PM.

Tonight’s entertainment is a comic guitarist in the theater, the movie The Master in Vista and again and again and again………The Hunger Games on MUTS. How many times are they going to keep showing this movie? Does Princess really think the passengers are intothe Hunger Games?

The bands remain the same and Maurizio is still with us in Crooners. When I get the stats for this cruise I’ll let you know. Meanwhile, we have already received our invitation for the most traveled luncheon which will be on the 18th.

Gotta go.

Good Morning from Montevideo Uruguay, the first port of this second leg of the cruise. We were supposed to arrive just about now, but we left late last night and an announcement was made a few minutes ago that we won’t arrive until about 10. Yes, we’ve been here previously; more than once. So the plan for today is getting my nails done at 9:15 and then meandering off the ship later in the morning or early afternoon. There’sa market right here which will make Mike happy. Quest: a polo that says Uruguay. Thus far, this has alluded him.

Montevideo, the capital, is a city of almost 2 million residents; almost entirely of European descent - chiefly Spanish and Italian. The most prominent feature is the Cerro, a 450 foot knoll with an old fort. The hill, is reputed to have given Montevideo its name when a Portuguese sailor called out on first sighting it “Monte vejo eu” - I see a mountain. Uruguay has often been called the Switzerland of South America because of its small size, its high standard of living and its democratic institutions.

So what did we do last night? Nothing. What had we planned to do last night? Nothing. Right on schedule. Clocks went ahead, so we lost an hour of sleep. Tonight they go back, so we get the hour back immediately. These will be the only time changes for this particular cruise.

On board today is nothing in the morning and the movie Mr. & Mrs. Smith in the theater in the afternoon. Sailaway is at 5:00 PM.

Tonight’s entertainment is a comic guitarist in the theater, the movie The Master in Vista and again and again and again………The Hunger Games on MUTS. How many times are they going to keep showing this movie? Does Princess really think the passengers are intothe Hunger Games?

The bands remain the same and Maurizio is still with us in Crooners. When I get the stats for this cruise I’ll let you know. Meanwhile, we have already received our invitation for the most traveled luncheon which will be on the 18th.

Gotta go.[/quote

Keep up the great work with you postings, Pia. Love to read them. We have sailed on the Grand twice and I can just picture life on board. Enjoy. Lorri H.

Quest: a polo that says Uruguay. Thus far, this has alluded him.

Gotta go.

Now we know why you keep doing this cruise - Mike needs his polo:D:D

Maybe you should tell them while you are enjoying your most travelled that they are way over doing the showing of the same movies over and over and over...:D:D

Enjoy lunch on the 18th, looking forward to hearing about it:)

Did they do any thing onboard for V-day yesterday??

So much grumbling this morning regarding the ship’s late arrival. What difference does it make? Our time in port has been extended for the additional 2 hours 45 minutes that we were delayed. We were supposed to leave at 5 and departure is now scheduled for 8. And the sun won’t set until almost 8 anyway. I forgot to mention earlier, that whatever minutes we had left over from the first leg were credited automatically to this one.

Had my nails done and we got off the ship shortly after 11:00. Walked to the “market” area; not quite what I remembered from our last visit. There’s an internet café right at the foot of the ship and an artisan shop and gallery just outside the port. Across the street (if you don’t get killed trying to get across), are 3 souvenir stores and then up a block or so are lots of kiosks. No polo shirts and very few tees. Believe me, I covered every single store. The don’t even know what a collared shirt is unless you want regulation soccer stuff. So, Mike settled for another baseball cap as his purchase du jour. :rolleyes:

After lunch we decided to go see Mr. & Mrs. Smith. We saw it years ago, but there’s very little I remembered. Don’t know when it came out, but we bought the DVD for a buck in Shanghai in 2005. I was probably confused then, and still am. Besides which, the sound was not that good.

OK. New stats. Not much has changed. The luncheon cutoff is now 716 days, since nobody from the first cruise got off. New Elites embarked in Buenos Aires, but none are high up enough to qualify. The Elite total is now 987.

Gloria: haven't seen Frankie in a week. We are on different time schedules

Julia: Nothing really special for V-Day. There was a cake on a table at the IC and some ribbons. We have a heart with our names on it on our door. That is thanks to Frankie who made it for us last year.

OK folks. Gone for today. See you in the morning after I sleep my extra hour. :D

Archived