LIVE from the Grand Princess - 49 days from FLL thru South America to SFO

Pia1913

Good morning as we are about to shortly arrive into Salvador on this hot, humid and overcast Friday morning. Overcast is good; hope it stays that way. Salvador is known for its numerous churches; about 170. Salvador was founded in 1549 and was Brazil’s capital in 1763. The early colonists established sugar and tobacco plantations which earned the region enormous wealth. These same colonists used their skills (brought over from Europe) to build their churches and public buildings in the baroque style. Today, Salvador is home to the largest concentration of baroque colonial architecture in Latin America. If our ship docks where I think it will, the walk to the large Mercado Modelo is only about 10 minutes.

Princess only offered two shorex here, which were all sold out before we embarked in FLL.

The tours were a basic tour to the historic city center (mostly walking in that area), a visit to Sao Francisco Church and Cathedral and a view of the new stadium recently built for the upcoming World Cup. The other shorex will also view the stadium, see the financial sector, visit another church and then go to the market.

We’ve been told that the old section of town will be completely bedecked with Carnival decorations and there will be an extra million people here waiting for the upcoming festivities. There’s a good chance we might not even get off, since we don’t need to do the market again. Or fight crowds. Decision will be made later.

Last night we attended the gaucho show which was a lot longer than all the other Princess shows; 55 minutes. Very enjoyable. As stated previously, we’ve seen these performers more than once. And, in the afternoon we peeked in to the art auction and put our names in the bucket. They drew 5 names and mine was one of them. I did choose a free picture for which I will pay $20 S & H. Cheap enough. It’s very cute and I have just the spot for it.

On board today is nothing, unless you count the afternoon MUTS movie (The Artist) as something. Tonight’s movie on MUTSis Premium Rush and an early movie in Vista, The Expendables 2 with Sylvester Stallone in Vista. Showtime in the theater is Vincenzo Gentile a violinist and at 9:45 An Evening with Maurizio in Vista. We enjoy Maurizio, but can always listen to him earlier in Crooners and there’s no violin concert ever on our agenda.

Hi K. Good to see you. No TT for me. ;) And Jim, yes, I forgot. Not to worry. I'm doing my share. :D

Internet connection awful today, so you may not hear from me again until tomorrow.

We usually have a cabin near the rear stairs. The only time we had a mid ship cabin was on the Grand and we had to walk to the rear stairs anyway as the mid stairs are closed off to passengers. Drove us us nuts, but at least we got a lot of extra exercise.

That's what we landed up doing although DH did use it as an excuse to use the elevator more:D

I didn't realize how much it would drive me nuts until I was on the ship for the 2 weeks:D

Even with all the renovations, the Grand is my least favorite ship.

We had a mid ship cabin, and hated the no stairs in middle.

Also the closet in cabin is half the size of the other Grand class ships. The shelves in the closet with safe, very shallow.

We were suppose to take this cruise with Pia and switched to the 30 day on the Star instead. From what Pia has said so far on the ports, this first leg of trip is nothing that I missed by doing the 30 day instead (SF to Buenos Aires).

I do miss however, sailing with our good friends Pia and Mike. Isn't that a good part of cruising these days, being with dear friends.Also Tina and Ken, Frankie and Jack.

Gloria:D

We did lots of reading today. By executive decision (mine) we decided not to get off the ship at all. We just spent a lot of time at the IC watching people getting back on all sweaty and wet and complaining about the humidity. Mike cannot handle walking in this intense heat and we’re happy with our A/C.

TV and internet were down most of the day. TV OK now, as we just left port. I did meet the very nice young man Marian (from Romania) who is the internet manager. Things were screwy this AM, but he gave me back my lost minutes when the computer refused to shut down. FYI, it is now 5:30 and internet connection is not available. Will post this when I can.

See you tomorrow

Pia--my thanks for sharing this with us. I usually find the more "conversational" live-from's less interesting, but this one is brilliant. I look forward to your reports from around-the-horn as I sailed that (great!) itinerary on a different (not-so-great) line last year.

A bit of my 2 cents:

I wonder if this is the first sailing with Sammi Baker and Bernie la Chilena bella on the same cruise staff. For sure it won't be boring!

Someone mentioned the culinary demonstration earlier. On Coral Princess in 2009 Chef Jeremy Snowden held court over the best one I have ever seen. He is quite an erudite gentleman--be sure to pick up the handout with his bio.

And--recalling all the posts about difficulties booking this cruise, with a seemingly record waitlist--I was very surprised to receive a "last minute deals" offer from Princess for the Valparaiso-San Francisco leg of this cruise! (As well as an equally tempting offer for the Star Princess Valpariso-LA a few weeks later). Curious as to how many cabins available, but I'm sure you will have a full ship.

Wishing continued smooth sailing,

Charles

Good Saturday morning, another warm and sunny day and calm seas. We have been blessed with excellent weather since we left Ft Lauderdale two weeks ago. Last night we remarked that 2 weeks had gone by so quickly, and then we realized that we still had 5 more weeks to go. Yes, we do consider ourselves fortunate to be able to cruise frequently and for extended periods of time. Now then, yawn yawn; we lost another hour of sleep last night. I don’t know how many more times we will go back and forth, but at least we get an hour back before we get to Buenos Aires.

So, what to do today? There’s the On Deck for the Cure walk, the movie Overboard on MUTS and “Shall we Talk,” an interview (by Sammi) with the singers and dancers. There’s also the third sale of this cruise of the $10 stuff. Can you imagine how many more we still have coming up? I finally got around to checking out the pop choir to see if the songs have changed. No, they have not.

Some afternoon offerings are a lecture; Australia in WWII, the movie Pitch Perfect in the theater, the movie 9 to 5 on MUTS and wine tasting. Sometimes we go to wine tasting; other times we pass. Today we’re going.

Tonight’s entertainment starts with Hunger Games on MUTS and a juggler, Randy Cabral (doing 3 shows) in the theater. In Vista there is the Tango Club Quintet featuring Jorge and Noella. This couple have been doing short appearances in the Piazza and tonight they will to a whole tango show. She has a body to die for. At 10:00 Vista has another show; the guitarist from two nights ago.

Bye for now

Last night we remarked that 2 weeks had gone by so quickly, and then we realized that we still had 5 more weeks to go.

Over 27,500 views of your "live" so far. Very popular.

the movie 9 to 5 on MUTS

The MUTS movies seem to be getting older and older. This one (although good) is over 30 years old.

see above

Tonight’s entertainment starts with Hunger Games on MUTS and a juggler, Randy Cabral (doing 3 shows) in the theater. In Vista there is the Tango Club Quintet featuring Jorge and Noella. This couple have been doing short appearances in the Piazza and tonight they will to a whole tango show. She has a body to die for. At 10:00 Vista has another show; the guitarist from two nights ago.

Bye for now

Now Pia, if you die for it, it won't do you any good :D. Still, wish I could see.

I have been away for a while and just read your thread. Good stuff, as usual. This one is on my wishlist. Enjoy!

Doug

When I look at Grand deck plans I get the following message: "Please tell us when you plan to sail....sailing between now May 9, 2013 and sailing after May 9, 2013". Anybody know if there making any changes on the Grand or what the message means?

Tom:)

When I look at Grand deck plans I get the following message: "Please tell us when you plan to sail....sailing between now May 9, 2013 and sailing after May 9, 2013". Anybody know if there making any changes on the Grand or what the message means?

I might be wrong But I believe it has to do with the new price structure on the cabins. Some ships are in April and some in May. If you look at both deck plans you'll see the difference.

Only changing the category letter designations.

Only changing the category letter designations.

It does that for all the ships now. I think it has to do do with the restructure of the room categories. I may be totally wrong, but that is my guess. I am sure that Pam in LA will come through with the correct answer!!

It does that for all the ships now. I think it has to do do with the restructure of the room categories. I may be totally wrong, but that is my guess. I am sure that Pam in LA will come through with the correct answer!!

Pam just left today for her cruise so it may be awhile before she responds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Pam, but you are correct. Only difference between before and after is the categories of cabins.

Princess has confused many people by not including wording indicating that when they ask the before/after question.

Pia or anyone else who has been on the Grand. With regards to the anytime dining rooms: Is one nicer than the other, better decor, windows (we will be cruising to Alaska so daylight much later) etc. Just curious. We are thinking of switching to any time dining. Thanks.

Pia or anyone else who has been on the Grand. With regards to the anytime dining rooms: Is one nicer than the other, better decor, windows (we will be cruising to Alaska so daylight much later) etc. Just curious. We are thinking of switching to any time dining. Thanks.

Essentially identical with the artwork different to reflect the name of each room.

Founded in the early 16th century, Rio was once the capital of Brazil. With beaches on one side and mountains on the other, Rio is considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Ergo, its title of “Marvelous City.”

Good morning, as we approach Rio. We are due to arrive at 10 AM and were told there would be 8 ships in port. With all these ships and the fact that it’s Carnival time, I anticipate a fiasco in the terminal. That is of course if we are docked in the main terminal. This is an area we know, so hopefully we won’t find ourselves in new environs. Having just been here, we have seen all the important sites; I.e. Sugarloaf, Christ the Redeemer, the huge cathedral which holds 20,000 and has magnificent stained glass windows rising 200 ft., and the beaches; Leblon, Ipanema and Copacabana. And since it’s also Sunday, I’m wondering what if anything (other than main attractions) will be open. I know that the malls don’t open on Sundays until 2:00 PM. Our quest will be a supermarket, so if we don’t find anything today we also have tomorrow. We are here until 4:30 PM tomorrow afternoon. I also need to get my nails done and that I’m sure will not be available until tomorrow.

Anyone wanting more in depth info if you wish you can search for my LIVE from Santiago to Rio to FLL - Feb/March 2011)

Yesterday we attended the Sammi interview of the singers and dancers. It was very interesting and enlightening. This group is not only talented, but mostly quite educated too. We have teachers, a law school student, an engineer, etc. And last night we made a mistake by trying to see the juggler. Mike thought it might be interesting. He was mistaken. This guy was awful. Kept dropping stuff too. We only stayed a short time. Won’t make this mistake again.

There is nothing really scheduled on board today other than an afternoon movie (which we have seen); The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. In the evening we have a local folkloric show “Brasileirissimo” in the theater (two performances) and the movie Hope Springs in Vista.

Arrival update: Evidently the area in which I hoped we would dock is being occupied by another ship. Or two. Or more. I don’t know where we will dock, but it requires a shuttle to the terminal. Complimentary, but a pain anyway.

Disappearing silverware. Two days ago instead of finding silverware, napkins and coffee cups on each table in HC, everything was gone and we had to pick it all up on the food line. Strange. Couldn’t be noro, since salt and pepper shakers were still on the tables and we could serve ourselves. Tonight we found out that the Brazilian authorities mandated that nothing can be on the tables when there are no people eating there. This is for every meal, not just breakfast. OK. Makes no sense, but it’s their country.

Thanks Bill for answering some of the questions and saving me some precious minutes. Hard to do a LIVE on a 19 day cruise with the same allotment as on a 10 day.

Breakfast awaits.

Disappearing silverware. Two days ago instead of finding silverware, napkins and coffee cups on each table in HC, everything was gone and we had to pick it all up on the food line. Strange. Couldn’t be noro, since salt and pepper shakers were still on the tables and we could serve ourselves. Tonight we found out that the Brazilian authorities mandated that nothing can be on the tables when there are no people eating there. This is for every meal, not just breakfast. OK. Makes no sense, but it’s their country..

Makes a lot of sense - how do you know that cutlery etc. on a table hasn't been handled by someone? (Yes, I know the waiter had to put it there with his questionable hands after clearing the previous dirty stuff, but that's another issue). For an example, I travel solo and read a book at my meal using a knife from one of the other place settings to keep the page open - I could just rewrap it in the napkin and leave it on the table (I don't, of course) - apparently clean cutlery and glasses are not removed with my dirty stuff when I'm done.

I have a vague memory that it is required in land restaurants (in UK, anyway) to remove everything from a table between diners - who knows who has handled, licked, spat upon etc. what? I know this sounds extreme but there's some strange people out there.

This practice would obviously create a lot more washing up on ships so it makes great sense to me to only put the required number of items on the table in the first place. I'd be perfectly happy to pick up my cutlery at the food line all the time.

P.S. Not carping at you Pia, just my two cents! I am, like so many others, glued to your "live from"s - thank you for taking the trouble to take us with you on your travels.

It is hot. It is humid. It is dirty. It is broken. It is disorganized. It is the port of Rio. shuttle? Ha! We got off the ship this morning trying to find the shuttle. There were lines, and we finally found the right one just as said “shuttle” was leaving. It was a mini van. This is what is known as a shuttle. Quite a few people elected to walk to the terminal; a nice long walk when you are in this kind of climate. We waited for the next one, but again a walk from where they drop you off. Having been here before I knew exactly where we should be. Azamara however had my preferred spot. Followed by HAL Maasdam and Costa Fortuna. We are parked in terminal #4. Could be worse. We could have been in #8. There’s a whole lot of reconstruction going on here. Everything I knew on one side of the port has been knocked down and I understand they will be building luxury residences and offices.

We saw lots of floats going by and I took some photos. However, I do not have the capability of posting them. Since Mike has a small mobility problem, I parked him on a chair at McDonald’s while I proceeded to find a pharmacy and a supermarket. No problem with the pharmacy, but other than finding small convenience stores, I never did locate the big one. I would say I walked almost a mile one way searching for it. Anyhow, my main quest was for diet Pepsi and no store had any Pepsi. This is a Coke town it seems. I will try again tomorrow in another direction. I understand that if I take the H. Stern jewelry store shuttle, there’s a supermarket a few blocks from there. This was told to me by a Stern employee, so I just may do it. Mike will need to stay aboard. Just getting to the terminal is too much for him.

Free wifi in the terminal. That’s another thing I might do tomorrow. I could go when the sun goes down today, but that won‘t be until 7:30 and it‘s not important enough to venture out alone at night.

Jolly: the cutlery, etc. will be back when we leave Brazil. This is a Brazil thing. We were ok in all other countries and will be again.

Not much more to tell you so I’ll say goodbye until tomorrow.

Archived