LIVE from the Grand Princess - 49 days from FLL thru South America to SFO

Pia1913

We are booked on Crown 2014.....What kind o fweather are you experiencing?

We can take heat as we live in Phoenix...but humidity get us.

Enjoying your travel notes

Michelle

If you had read any of Pia's prior posts, you would know that the weather in Brazil is very hot and VERY humid!

Hi Pia! Good to know that you are doing better and hopefully better every day! Thanks for doing your live from... We who are landlocked (at least for now) are much appreciating the time you take and the information given!

I hope you continue to have a fabulous time and please make sure to say hi to the penguins for me! ;)

$749 for a show? must have very rich people on board.

i would never pay that for a show . Could take another cruise for that cost.

Thanks for all the Live reports. we leave on Saturday to pick up the Star and sail from BA to LA.

To see show, at carnival, that you will never forget, I would. It's like going to a ten hour concert, with dancing and endless lightshow. Once in a lifetime experienceand timing is perfect, this is the last days before Lent. Enjoy Fat Tuesday on board Pia and thank you for the updates.

Good morning; the beginning of what appears to be another wonderful day. I can’t believe what perfect weather and calm seas we’ve had since we left FLL. Somewhere along the way I have a feeling I will begin to complain of being cold. So far, so good.

We did nothing after dinner last night except go back to the cabin and attempt to watch a movie. We tried two; neither one held our interest. They were: Alex and Emma and Touchback. Forgot to mention that you had until 8 PM last night to sign up for a Valentine’s Day Group Renewal of Wedding Vows on the 13th. This will be held in the Piazza at 12:15. I wonder how many couples will crowd into that small area at that time.

And now that we’ve left the Brazilian territory, our schedule this morning will include both Julio Delgado with a Buenos Aires lecture and John Maxtone-Graham talking about Titanic Tragedy; A New Look at the Lost Liner. Also this morning is a passenger talent show sign-up and another “Up to 75% off 3 hours only” sale.

This afternoon there’s another pub lunch (they seem to be having them almost every sea day), the movie Arbitrage in the theater, the movie The Natural on MUTS and the Pop Choir concert in the Piazza. Unfortunately the choir performance conflicts with trivia.

Tonight is the last formal night of this cruise and also the night we gain an hour of sleep. Clocks go back one hour. Since I usually manage 8 hours, tonight I can have nine. Entertainment wise there’s British Invasion (love that show), a comedian Jeff Nease in Vista and the Amazing Spider Man on MUTS. Conflicting with everything is a Farewell Mardi Gras party with a speech by the captain, in the Piazza. It’s either feast or famine around here. We may just catch the comedian and pass on British Invasion until the next leg of the cruise. We have already seen it 3 times.

To those who thought you got a 10 hour show for your $750 with Princess............. forget it! Show started at nine and Princess had them back before midnight. You could stay on your own and make your own way back, and some people did.

Silverware not back yet in HC. Breakfast time for me now. Later.

Good morning; the beginning of what appears to be another wonderful day. I can’t believe what perfect weather and calm seas we’ve had since we left FLL. Somewhere along the way I have a feeling I will begin to complain of being cold. So far, so good.

We did nothing after dinner last night except go back to the cabin and attempt to watch a movie. We tried two; neither one held our interest. They were: Alex and Emma and Touchback. Forgot to mention that you had until 8 PM last night to sign up for a Valentine’s Day Group Renewal of Wedding Vows on the 13th. This will be held in the Piazza at 12:15. I wonder how many couples will crowd into that small area at that time.

And now that we’ve left the Brazilian territory, our schedule this morning will include both Julio Delgado with a Buenos Aires lecture and John Maxtone-Graham talking about Titanic Tragedy; A New Look at the Lost Liner. Also this morning is a passenger talent show sign-up and another “Up to 75% off 3 hours only” sale.

This afternoon there’s another pub lunch (they seem to be having them almost every sea day), the movie Arbitrage in the theater, the movie The Natural on MUTS and the Pop Choir concert in the Piazza. Unfortunately the choir performance conflicts with trivia.

Tonight is the last formal night of this cruise and also the night we gain an hour of sleep. Clocks go back one hour. Since I usually manage 8 hours, tonight I can have nine. Entertainment wise there’s British Invasion (love that show), a comedian Jeff Nease in Vista and the Amazing Spider Man on MUTS. Conflicting with everything is a Farewell Mardi Gras party with a speech by the captain, in the Piazza. It’s either feast or famine around here. We may just catch the comedian and pass on British Invasion until the next leg of the cruise. We have already seen it 3 times.

To those who thought you got a 10 hour show for your $750 with Princess............. forget it! Show started at nine and Princess had them back before midnight. You could stay on your own and make your own way back, and some people did.

Pia;

Sounds llike another great day.....:):):)

Bob

This intrigues us in that, all during our recent fourteen days in Brazil on our Amazon/Manaus adventure, cutlery was always presented on all tables every day. Something else must be at play?

For those asking about the weather, it will be warm in Buenos Aires and Montevideo .

Puerto Madryn a little cooler but not cold. The Falklands will be chilly and will remain cool until Santiago Chile.Weather was beautiful there.We were there earlier in the season (December-Jan) and probably much colder than Pia will experience. Brought a Down jacket and wore it with a scarf and gloves.Pia knows how to layer clothes and packs like a pro.She won't be bringing Down jacket but will remain warm.

I think we are all aware of the number of cutlery settings placed on tables but never used that are removed and returned to the washing stations. We have witnessed on more than one occasion a DR table being fully set with china, stem ware and cutlery late evening only to be taken down a half hour later unused and everything sent for washing. Perhaps Princess is introducing this new procedure of issuing cutlery to each user in the HC in an effort to eliminate the wasteful double or triple handling of cutlrey.

I just read on this forum "no escargot or French onion soup on the new menu"? I sailed in the fall and had new menu's on the Emerald Princess and we did have those choices. Whats the scope on the Grand?

I just read on this forum "no escargot or French onion soup on the new menu"? I sailed in the fall and had new menu's on the Emerald Princess and we did have those choices. Whats the scope on the Grand?

There has to be escargot on one of the formal nights!!!! It's my husband's favorite. He would be soooo disappointed if they don't have it.

Updated Carnaval/Sambadrome information

What I stated about needing to take taxis back to the ship was incorrect. These folks were not on the Princess shorex. They had booked privately and that was their only option.

Princess people could have stayed all night and some did. One person on our trivia team did not get back until after 6:00 AM. She said there were shuttles runnning all night and their seats were wonderful; dead center near where the judging was taking place. She loved it and was very happy to have spent the big bucks. I’m telling you this now, so that those who are booked on next year’s cruise will have this info in advance. Princess also gave each person a goodie bag with hats and noisemakers and a cushion to sit on. These are stadium seats; no back unless you are in the last row of a section. They were also all given tee shirts in advance so they all could wear them when they left the ship.

RE: Escargot. There is one couple I know who has this almost every night. Just order it in advance and you can have it. Don't know whether it's on the menu tonight and won't know because we're not going to the DR. It wasn't on the last formal night.

See you tomorrow.

We had both on the new menu on the Grand in December. Maybe just on this cruise they don't have it:confused:

That was a 2007 thread that someone just resurrected. They were referring to changes in 2007 :eek: Escargot was on the menu one night on our 14 day Panama cruise in January and offered "off menu" on our two 7 day Alaskan cruises on the Golden last September. We did not order because snails are not our preferred delivery system for butter and garlic :D

Escargot is served as an appetizer on the 2nd formal night (the menu with the lobster). French Onion soup is on the 1st formal night menu. As Pia said, you can order in advance if you want such items on other nights. This should apply to all the ships.

And, thanks, Pia, for another informative "Live from".

Pia,

We have friends currently doing a 48 day South American cruise on the Oceania MS Regatta. They were supposed to be in the Falklands last Sunday but this is information from their e-mail sent Sunday:

"Today we should have been touring the Falkland Islands, but Argentina is making trouble for them again. Their officials will let no one into Argentina whose passports have been stamped in the Falklands"

Have you heard anything on board regarding the next lag of your cruise?

While I must agree with you that the $750. value was surprising, just think of it this way; these 170 people got to see something that none of those who stayed behind will ever see. They will likely not pass this way again and will not be presented with the opportunity to do what these people did. One's life is the total of all our experiences and although we may not be able to go out into space to see the stars, they could have experienced the once in a lifetime Sambadrome had $750. not taken precedence. Just saying.

Folks pay more for Super Bowl tickets.

Whatever floats your boat.

I agree it is a unique experience something to see.

How many times do you visit Rio.

Folks pay more for Super Bowl tickets.

Whatever floats your boat.

I agree it is a unique experience something to see.

How many times do you visit Rio.

Totally agree. Maybe this sailing and attending Carnival is something on the bucket list of many people. I say spend your money where you choose and enjoy!

We have friends currently doing a 48 day South American cruise on the Oceania MS Regatta. They were supposed to be in the Falklands last Sunday but this is information from their e-mail sent Sunday:

"Today we should have been touring the Falkland Islands, but Argentina is making trouble for them again. Their officials will let no one into Argentina whose passports have been stamped in the Falklands"

Wonder what happens when a passenger on a ship has a Falklands stamp from a previous trip.

Happy Wednesday to all on this, our last sea day of the first leg of the cruise. The outside temperature has become decidedly cooler, with an anticipated high only in the 70’s. We have been told that only 640 passengers are getting off tomorrow in Buenos Aires, so embarkation should be a breeze for all the newcomers.

Last night we skipped British Invasion and wasted our time seeing the comedian. Not very good. Old, old stuff. I do hope he’s getting off in B.A. BTW, Tina doesn’t agree. She thought he was good.

Today’s schedule offers a Uruguay lecture in the morning and the Maxtone-Grahams (John and Mary) doing their skits and stories titled; “All you ever Wanted to Know about Passengers but were too Polite to Enquire.” We’ve seen this a few times, but each one is a bit different so will probably see it again. After all, we don’t have to pack. ;)

Also in the afternoon is the passenger talent show, Mamma Mia in the theater and My Big Fat Greek Wedding on MUTS.

Entertainment tonight in the theater is a triple header; the yucky juggler, the not so good comedian and the tenor (whom we heard nothing about; good or bad). MUTS is showing Moonrise Kingdom and Vista has the movie Expendables 2. Later in the evening will be the International Crew Show.

IECal: We’ve had no information on the Falklands and since politics change from day to day…………who knows. We are due there on Tuesday, Feb. 19th.

Escargot again: It was not on the menu on the 2nd formal night.

Carnaval/Rio: some of us do go to Brazil more than once.

DR: Michelangelo and DaVinci are both anytime

Later.

Archived