LIVE from the Grand Princess - 49 days from FLL thru South America to SFO

Pia1913

Is there no mid stairwell for passangers on the Grand? It appears on the deck plans that it is avaialable.

There is a stairway, but above deck 7 it is for crew only except in case of an emergency.

This was corrected on the subsequent Princess ships including the Golden and Star which are the next two ships built after the Grand.

I’ll second Pia on our M&G. More people than I’ve ever seen at one. Everyone on a private CC tour (and there are a lot that have been arranged) were scurrying around trying to find the tours we were on to pay the leader. I got all mine done and for the 2 Rio tours I have, all but 2 people made it to my table to pay.

We're doing the 49 day in 2014, looking for tours, would really appreciate any info. Never too early to book the private tours.

Sue

Happy Thursday, another day at sea. Let’s get Looper out of the way. We lasted 30 minutes; wanted to leave after 10. However, we waited for Bruce Willis. He came in; we left. So we ended up in our cabin watching Fox News. And Cake Boss. Kidding. TV off. Reading only.

As we sail towards Salvador, we can expect the temperature to rise. The humidity too. I recall quite vividly how it was when we were here in 2011. Expected high today will be 90 and the sun came up shortly after 5:00 AM. We always sleep with our curtains open; here and also at home. But even when there’s light, we let the clock tell us when to get up.

So what are we doing on board today? It’s the colloquial “we” since nothing much interests me except usual R & R (reading and relaxing). I am such a creature of habit, that unless there’s something really stimulating, my books are my best friends. Others may be interested in the culinary show and galley tour, the pub lunch or an ice carving demo. There’s also a talk on Capt. James Cook and the movie Total Recall in the theater and Tootsie on MUTS. And, a multitude of offerings by the spa; lots of potential money makers.

Tonight, there’s latin music in Explorer’s, Pitch Perfect on MUTS and Los Gauchos in the theater. We’ve seen these Argentinean guys before; both their comedy and fantastic skills. So it’s showtime for us at 7:45.

Tom: Princess gives no drinks or snacks at any M & G. We had some once, and only because that CD, Richard Joseph, has a different kind of budget than the other CD’s

Re Stairs: the only time they open the mid stairs for passengers is during muster.

Wine packages: none have been offered

Just checking in to say hello - I'm following along with you - You must be feeling OK - your posts are 'UP' - Good for you - remember not to overdue - (Ha, look who I'm talking to!)

FYI Dulce's father had a severe stroke - she's in Brazil for a few weeks.

The cruise sounds wonderful - enjoy!

Enjoy the Hot weather, we are expecting 1 to 2 feet of snow this weekend in Boston Do they charge for the Galley Tour ?

This is tour that follows the cooking demonstration in the theater. You follow a conga line through the dining room and spotless kitchen. The kitchen is impressive in size and scope and is free.

The ultimate ship's tour has a fee but is much more detailed in its' tour of the kitchen and freezers and is only a portion of the behind the scenes tour. On this tour you are served champagne, hor d'ourves and see actual food prep. On our tour we watched someone butcher whole chickens into at least six segments taking an average of 45 seconds per chicken. The bread roll machine was interesting and produces 6000 rolls a day. The amount of food in each of the large walk-in freezers and refridgerators was really interesting. For example, on our 15 day cruise they used 42,000 eggs...imagine! There was a large frozen halibut waiting for action that could easily serve 65 people. The Coral Princess purchased the fish during their Alaskan cruises and use them throughout the year. Princess follows US FDA standards(for the US based cruises) and only fruit is loaded locally in the local ports e.g. mango, melon, papaya, banana.

Tom: Princess gives no drinks or snacks at any M & G. We had some once, and only because that CD, Richard Joseph, has a different kind of budget than the other CD’s

Wine packages: none have been offered

Pia, Sorry to hear about no wine packages :(. It doings like Princess is very serious about enforcing the one bottle/person of drinking age/cruise rule :( :(

We just got off a cruise with Richard and he had arranged for coffee and pastries for a late morning M&G. We enjoyed Richard and his strong support of CC.

Pia,

I have heard, and assume it is accurate but thought I would check the "live" report...Is there no mid stairwell for passangers on the Grand? It appears on the deck plans that it is avaialable.

Thanks in advance, and enjoy!!

We had a midship cabin in December and the stairs are only accessible for the Atrium floors - drove me crazy.:D

This is tour that follows the cooking demonstration in the theater. You follow a conga line through the dining room and spotless kitchen. The kitchen is impressive in size and scope and is free.

The ultimate ship's tour has a fee but is much more detailed in its' tour of the kitchen and freezers and is only a portion of the behind the scenes tour. On this tour you are served champagne, hor d'ourves and see actual food prep. On our tour we watched someone butcher whole chickens into at least six segments taking an average of 45 seconds per chicken. The bread roll machine was interesting and produces 6000 rolls a day. The amount of food in each of the large walk-in freezers and refridgerators was really interesting. For example, on our 15 day cruise they used 42,000 eggs...imagine! There was a large frozen halibut waiting for action that could easily serve 65 people. The Coral Princess purchased the fish during their Alaskan cruises and use them throughout the year. Princess follows US FDA standards(for the US based cruises) and only fruit is loaded locally in the local ports e.g. mango, melon, papaya, banana.

The cooking demo in the Theatre on the December cruise was the best one I have been to, they had some comedy and crew singing and some of them were awesome. We skipped the walk thru the galley as we have been there done that but the theatre was packed and everyone raved about the singing - better than some of the folks they bring on to sing.:D

We had a mid ship cabin in December and the stairs are only accessible for the Atrium floors - drove me crazy.:D

We usually have a cabin near the rear stairs. The only time we had a mid ship cabin was on the Grand and we had to walk to the rear stairs anyway as the mid stairs are closed off to passengers. Drove us us nuts, but at least we got a lot of extra exercise.

Can anyone tell me what lunch cutoff is? It was i n a post from several days ago.

thanks

Pia's post #46:eek:

Now then, Captain Circle status as follows:

ELITE 908

PLATINUM 887

GOLD 459

And, 321 first time Princess cruisers.

Who’s waiting to hear about the lunch cutoff? YIKES! The cutoff is 697 days. We always think we’ve got the lunch sewn up and so did friends who are in the 600’s. You just never know. We’re in; they’re not. Major heavy hitters on this voyage and I believe all the most traveled folks will be on for the entire 49 days.

Can anyone tell me what lunch cutoff is? It was i n a post from several days ago.

thanks

I believe it is for a luncheon giving to the most frequent cruisers on this cruise.

In this case, only those who have sailed on Princess 697 days or more. That would mean if you had sailed less than 697 days you wouldn't be invited to this luncheon.

(Others, please correct me if I am incorrect in this).

Archived