For US Cruisers To Canada

sapper1

That's OK. People who use the metric system are still generally confused about the difference between mass and force. Forces, including weight, are expressed as newtons and not kilograms. The hopeless cases are those who say "kilograms of force".

A correct expressions would be something like "I gained two kilograms of mass because I ate too much in the Lido", but next to nobody gets that right.

igraf

Like it followed the civilized world into the metric system? Riiiiiight.... :confused::)

That's OK. People who use the metric system are still generally confused about the difference between mass and force. Forces, including weight, are expressed as newtons and not kilograms. The hopeless cases are those who say "kilograms of force".

A correct expressions would be something like "I gained two kilograms of mass because I ate too much in the Lido", but next to nobody gets that right.

igraf

However, the two kilograms are still there no matter how they are expressed. Darn it:eek:

Like it followed the civilized world into the metric system? Riiiiiight.... :confused::)

I still hate the adoption of the metric system and continue to change temps from Celcius to Farenhiet in my head. When ordering stuff like cold cuts I just tell the butcher to give me eg. 8 slices - No use asking for 100 grams as it's never enough.

In South Africa we went metric while I was in primary school so I was familiar with the English system. It was a shocker when I came to the US and found its back to feet, pounds and F. So I had to dig up the old conversion calculations and reverse it.

It was a bonus for my family back in SA since I could take them English measurement gadget for old recipes that weren't converted - and now you can only find metric kitchen gadgets there.

Here is another heads up... for non canadians..

It has been known that some of the new plastic bills can sometimes stick together, so make sure you fold them so you don't have that problem.

For those who have not seen the new bills.. there is a see through area strip. Funny money.... hahahaha

Thanks for the info, sapper. My next cruise will take me to Canada, so this is good to know.

I expect that prices will be rounded up, as opposed to rounded off? I can already guess that prices rounded down is out of the question!

Here is another heads up... for non canadians..

It has been known that some of the new plastic bills can sometimes stick together, so make sure you fold them so you don't have that problem.

For those who have not seen the new bills.. there is a see through area strip. Funny money.... hahahaha

It does look funny. Good tip. I noticed when I went to the bank machine on Thursday I got the old bills. A couple of weeks ago they were all new. They are causing problems.

Thanks for the info, sapper. My next cruise will take me to Canada, so this is good to know.

I expect that prices will be rounded up, as opposed to rounded off? I can already guess that prices rounded down is out of the question!

Prices will remain the same and then tax is added. Since there will most likely be an odd number total the change will be rounded up or down. Credit card purchases will not be affected.

"I still hate the adoption of the metric system and continue to change temps from Celcius to Farenhiet in my head. "

A friend solved the problem for me when she taught me this poem:

Thirty is hot

Twenty is pleasing

Ten is not

Zero is freezing

I never bother to try to convert when thinking about weather or air temp. Does it really matter if it is 62 or 63, 84 or 85 degrees outside? You have a general idea how to dress for the weather. Who really needs to know precise temps, unless baking or doing lab experiments?

Prices will remain the same and then tax is added. Since there will most likely be an odd number total the change will be rounded up or down. Credit card purchases will not be affected.

Thanks for the answer, sapper. Rounded off improves the chances of multiple purchases breaking even. I hate feeling cheated, even for a penny.

It does look funny. Good tip. I noticed when I went to the bank machine on Thursday I got the old bills. A couple of weeks ago they were all new. They are causing problems.

Lorene, my credit union now issues a mix of old and new $20 bills. That seems to have solved the problem of them sticking. Personally, I don't like the new bills - they are too slippery. They are worse than using a new deck of cards.

"I still hate the adoption of the metric system and continue to change temps from Celcius to Farenhiet in my head. "

A friend solved the problem for me when she taught me this poem:

Thirty is hot

Twenty is pleasing

Ten is not

Zero is freezing

I never bother to try to convert when thinking about weather or air temp. Does it really matter if it is 62 or 63, 84 or 85 degrees outside? You have a general idea how to dress for the weather. Who really needs to know precise temps, unless baking or doing lab experiments?

That poem is terrific. Thank you.

I'll now stop doing all that arithmetic in my head.......

You're right. I don't need to know if it is 65 vs. 63 degrees. :D

The old bills used to launder well if they were left in a pocket. I hear the new bills turn into mush in the dryer.

I think they feel creepy and look as though they were designed by someone whose imagination was in overdrive. On the other hand, a potential counterfeiter would just take one look and move on to something easier.

As of February 4th, the Canadian Mint will stop producing the penny. This will affect the way you are given change when you visit Canada. Pricing will not change but change will be rounded up or down to the nearest nickel.

Credit card or debit card purchases will not be affected.

I mention this as I think it is important that our cruise visitors know that the merchants are not trying to cheat them. The penny is simply going to disappear.

http://www.mint.ca/store/mint/learn/rounding-6900008#.UQ24ZmfyCSo

info about the penny

If your bill is $1.41 or $1.42 your bill will be rounded down to $1.40. If you bill is $1.43 or $1.44, it will be rounded up to $1.45. However, merchands are not doing this yet, at least not in Ottawa (Ontario). Yes, our new bills are taking some getting use to. Please ensure if you use a banking machine to count your money as some bills do stick together. But at least they're pretty to look at and can survice the washing machine (lol).

Local bank manager was talking to my DH last week complaining about the issue they are having with bills sticking together at the ATM....people are requesting $40 or $60 and getting $60 or $80!:D

My comment was the banks are finally giving back on their fees:eek:

I would hate to be on the opposite end of the issue and ask the ATM for $60 and only get $40. I always count so I would be right into the bank if it was open. Not sure what to do if is was after hours.....

I think we have enough pennies in this house to last a decade or two without even noticing.

For the record, pennies are still in circulation and are still legal tender. They just won't be produced. If you have them you can spend them. Sapper said the date (I think) that the cash registers will start rounding up or down, I think it is in the spring sometime. Looking out our window, spring seems a long way off and I don't care what the blasted groundhog said yesterday!:p

Archived