New Wine Policy: No wine to be boarded at ports of call

PunkiC

As a non wine drinkers, we think it is equitable for only one bottle to be brought on board w/o a corkage fee. That's one bottle more than we could bring of alcohol.

I agree. I do not drink wine , but enjoy my spirits. The poster who stated the bottles of liquor of liquor are reasonably priced sure doesn't live near my part of the U.S. It is 25 to 35% more than I pay and a watered down drink from a bar on the ship is outrageous in price.

I agree. I do not drink wine , but enjoy my spirits. The poster who stated the bottles of liquor of liquor are reasonably priced sure doesn't live near my part of the U.S. It is 25 to 35% more than I pay and a watered down drink from a bar on the ship is outrageous in price.

25-35%?? I pay those prices for a full 750ml bottle usually, not the 375ml that Princess tries to pawn off at the same price.

I don't think you understood my post. In the past we never considered taking our own wine into the dining room at all. Under the new policy, the corkage fees will already have been paid, so it won't bother me at all to take my own wine into the dining room.

It is apparent that you do not enjoy trying wines from different countries as we, and most of our friends do. That is what makes the new policy against boarding wines at ports of call so untenable for us.

Yes, I am aware that some of the lesser cruise lines do not allow wine to be boarded, which is one of the reasons we don't sail. them. :p

I totally agree with you. We sailed the med in 2008, as a trip of a lifetime. We bought local wine in EVERY port. We drank it on our balcony as we sailed away from places I had only dreamed of seeing. It was something the two of us shared as a precious life experience.

As far as people saying, "good luck trying to change a cruiseline", well, you don't get anywhere in life if you don't speak up for things you want changed!!:eek:. For us, it's not about being cheap or saving $15. It is about enjoying what we enjoy. Having the right to bring wine on the ship at ports is disappointing for us. If it is not disappointing for you, great! But it is to us.

Janet

We are taking a Panama Canal cruise next month and just realized on the luggage tag that there is a statement about the $15.00 corkage fee, it was not the a couple of weeks ago. I am wondering if this is going to be strictly enforced. The same with bringing wine on board at ports. The one bottle per person has never really been enforced. Also, is it possible to pay the $15.00 corkage fee on wines brought on board at ports? There is a lot of chatter on our roll call right now about this. I think Princess is going to really feel the dissatisfaction of many passengers with this new policy. One of the reasons we choose Princess is because we like to bring our own wine on board for a drink on the balcony before dinner. At least however with publishing this new policy there is no question as to what you can or cannot bring on board. We always wonder if we are going to get "caught" with our over the limit bottles. :D

I don't get the outcry. I don't blame Princess one bit. This has been the policy for some time. But how many posts have we read where in essence, people are bragging that they beat the rules?

I'm not a big wine drinker, but what makes wine different than a good single malt?

I say we all should just chill and relax about this and bringing spirits on board. Be thankful what they allow already.

And it's not like the TSA where they dump it. It'll be back in your room before you leave.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but a few a you really do sound like big w(h)iners.

I don't get the outcry. I don't blame Princess one bit. This has been the policy for some time. But how many posts have we read where in essence, people are bragging that they beat the rules?

I'm not a big wine drinker, but what makes wine different than a good single malt?

I say we all should just chill and relax about this and bringing spirits on board. Be thankful what they allow already.

And it's not like the TSA where they dump it. It'll be back in your room before you leave.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but a few a you really do sound like big w(h)iners.

Thanks for the post!!!!!! I almost posted about w (h)iners, but didn't want to create an outcry. I've never ubderstood the difference between wine and spirits and why wine was allowed and spirits not. I love to sit on my balcony with a drink, too. Why should I have to pay when a wine drinker can bring it on with no penalty??????

Oh, well. Still like Princess and will continue to sail with them!!!!!!!

Good luck changing a cruise line policy. I can see your disappointment with this new rule but there are wines on the ship from all over the world as well so why not enjoy those instead.

Because they are mostly ordinary wines that I can find in my local supermarket (and will bring onboard, pay the $15 and save money the way Largin will). We've been on several winery tours that visited out of the way wineries that have limited production, and it's always fun to try a unique product.

I have no problem paying the corkage to bring it back onboard. I would just like to be able to continue to have that experience, as well as to stock up on wine for the cabin if I run out.

I don't understand how the duty free rules come into play - if I buy a bottle of wine at a "duty free" shop in Mexico and drink it onboard the ship, I haven't brought it home (except for the extra weight:p), so I would have nothing to declare. I always thought that the "duty free" sign was just a come-on to get people in the door. I can't buy 5 bottles of Ketel One at a "duty free" store in Mexico and not pay duty on 4 of them. Can I???

REASONABLE for a cruise!! For instance- a bottle of Absolut will cost you $20 to order on Princess. That's 8 shots, I know...not the big bottle. But, for $20, you are getting the equivalent of 8 bar drinks, and good vodka, not plastic bottle, yellow label, dumped into a nicer bottle behind the bar. And those 8 shots would cost you about $64 from the bar. So. $20 for make it as you like, or $64 for a Vegas special rotgut watered down drink. Hmmm. Seems pretty reasonable to me, since I'll be on vacation and not in my backyard mixing bloody mary's from the bottle that was a great sale at my local Walgreens.

The point is that passengers didn't try to hide the fact that they were bringing wine on board. It was out in the open and allowed by Princess. Cases of wine were marked with a luggage tag and delivered to passenger's rooms by Princess employees. I haven't brought that much wine on board but I have boarded in Buenos Aires, Santiago, Seattle, Vancouver and San Pedro with more than one bottle per person openly exposed in a 4/6 wine bottle bag. This is not a case of smuggling alcohol in Rum Runners but a major change to past Princess practice.

The point is that passengers didn't try to hide the fact that they were bringing wine on board. It was out in the open and allowed by Princess. Cases of wine were marked with a luggage tag and delivered to passenger's rooms by Princess employees. I haven't brought that much wine on board but I have boarded in Buenos Aires, Santiago, Seattle, Vancouver and San Pedro with more than one bottle per person openly exposed in a 4/6 wine bottle bag. This is not a case of smuggling alcohol in Rum Runners but a major change to past Princess practice.

And.......Princess has now changed that policy (or at least, is enforcing it). I say let every single adult bring on ONE bottle of whatever. After that, I'll be happy to pay the price of a bottle or drink at the bar......since I do that already. Let's be fair.....booze is booze whether you call it wine or spirits.

The difference with Duty Free is the execution not the rule. Under Duty Free rules, items purchased free of local tax are expected to be consumed in your home country, subject to the customs rules of that country. Basically you pay the duty at home, subject to exemptions if any. Duty Free is a misnomer, you are expected to pay the customs duty on arrival, it just means you don't get double taxed.

If you purchase duty free and drink it on ship, you have not paid the duty on either end of the transaction which is technically illegal and why Princess could never have a stated policy allowing it.

Everyone knows the system is full of holes, but when it comes to the cruise line, they have to at least make a show of compliance, by doing things like holding packages purchased duty free (again technically, they are supposed to be given back just prior to customs, night before is stretching it and justified by the claim they need to be packed in checked luggage due to airport security)

Because they are mostly ordinary wines that I can find in my local supermarket (and will bring onboard, pay the $15 and save money the way Largin will). We've been on several winery tours that visited out of the way wineries that have limited production, and it's always fun to try a unique product.

I have no problem paying the corkage to bring it back onboard. I would just like to be able to continue to have that experience, as well as to stock up on wine for the cabin if I run out.

I don't understand how the duty free rules come into play - if I buy a bottle of wine at a "duty free" shop in Mexico and drink it onboard the ship, I haven't brought it home (except for the extra weight:p), so I would have nothing to declare. I always thought that the "duty free" sign was just a come-on to get people in the door. I can't buy 5 bottles of Ketel One at a "duty free" store in Mexico and not pay duty on 4 of them. Can I???

There's an economic component, but also a safety one.

Think of it this way, in terms of intoxication, what is the net effect of 750ml of wine consumed versus 750ml of jack daniels.

On another forum I frequent, there was a running joke for a while. Every time there was a pos about someone falling overboard (usually on Carnival, oddly) we would start taking bets when the phrase 'alcohol was involved' would be used. And almost always, if you read the details it wasn't wine it was way too many rum drinks, etc. And this was WITH supervision.

While most people are responsible drinkers, I have to admit I'd have concerns about large quantities of hard liquor in cabins. You can get equally sloshed on wine, but it takes quite a bit more in some cases.

Thanks for the post!!!!!! I almost posted about w (h)iners, but didn't want to create an outcry. I've never ubderstood the difference between wine and spirits and why wine was allowed and spirits not. I love to sit on my balcony with a drink, too. Why should I have to pay when a wine drinker can bring it on with no penalty??????

Oh, well. Still like Princess and will continue to sail with them!!!!!!!

These threads about wine remind me of all the discussions that went on when Princess changed the smoking policy last year. Those threads have pretty much died off now, as will these ones about wine.

But, I keep seeing people saying that they will change their loyalty to Princess and go elsewhere because of the not so new (but newly enforceable) policy. My initial thoughts were... and go where?? Isn't Princess just following what other lines have been doing all along? Then I read this....

I'm usually on another line which allows unlimited amounts of wine to be brought on with NO corkage fees at the pier. . . . just saying'

My question is... what is this other line?? And are their prices similar to Princess prices, or are they higher to offset the loss from people bringing on their own alcohol?

But I do agree that we should be allowed to bring back wine from visited ports - and pay the $15 corkage when reboarding.

Has this already changed? Because my friend and I boarded the Caribbean Princess in Aruba last Wednesday, each with a bottle of wine and nothing was said. As a matter of fact, I said to the crew member operating the scanning machine that I had a bottle of wine in my bag. He just smiled and said, "Yes, I see that." And we continued on! I was under the impression that we were allowed to bring one bottle each at a port of call.

My question is... what is this other line?? And are their prices similar to Princess prices, or are they higher to offset the loss from people bringing on their own alcohol?

But I do agree that we should be allowed to bring back wine from visited ports - and pay the $15 corkage when reboarding.

I keep trying not to mention them, as I'm sure it gets just as annoying as the person who just moved across the country and keeps saying "Back in Vermont..."

HAL allows as much wine or champagne as you want. No liquor, and if you bring wine to dinner or a bar, they have an $18 corkage fee. We usually bring 6 bottles on in a carry-on. Thankfully, I don't cruise with them for the wine. For Alaska, I like their itineraries. I'm not a cheerleader. And I'm loving what I hear of Princess dining options!! I haven't even gone on my April trip, and I'm ready to book next years.

Other cruise lines that limit the wine, beer or liquor you bring onboard, in ports or at embarcation, do not destroy or confiscate the items. They hold it until the end of the cruise and return it the last night. Still not much help when you want to sit on your verandah and sip it as the port lights fade into the setting sun, but better than Princess's new plan to take it away from you entirely.

Now, the big question, has anyone had them actually take a bottle away yet? During implementation, some of us booked on the 'old policy' where wine was exempt and some have boarding passes without the new policy.

So, recent cruiser, please tell ALL!

thanks!

Key npte - this is not a policy change, it is a potential enforcement change. Wine has never (or at least for a long time) been officially allowed at ports. They just have not enforced it prior and we are not sure if they will now. They have always had the table set up for 'mandatory' collection.

Other cruise lines that limit the wine, beer or liquor you bring onboard, in ports or at embarcation, do not destroy or confiscate the items. They hold it until the end of the cruise and return it the last night. Still not much help when you want to sit on your verandah and sip it as the port lights fade into the setting sun, but better than Princess's new plan to take it away from you entirely.

Now, the big question, has anyone had them actually take a bottle away yet? During implementation, some of us booked on the 'old policy' where wine was exempt and some have boarding passes without the new policy.

So, recent cruiser, please tell ALL!

thanks!

All talk from 1! Yes 1 onboard supervisor and a Princess rep/supervisor in Santa Clarita.

Anyone have actual experience with this happening on a consistant basis in a port of call?

This all came about on Monday, Jan 28th, when someone noticed the change in the boarding passes and luggage tags. I'm sure if anyone has boarded since Monday, they are busy on their cruise and don't really care about updating us at this moment. Heck, they aren't even aware.

For those who feel that whether it's a bottle of wine or a bottle of spirits it's the same thing then check the alcohol content. A bottle of spirits contains 3 to 4 times the amount of alcohol found in a bottle of wine.

While it might be not be as big of a problem on Princess as on some other cruise lines, I feel that part of the reason for the restrictions is to limit the amount of 'alcohol' brought onboard.

Obviously besides not wanting people to get too drunk there's also a big financial consideration for such changes. ;)

Spirits= 1 oz in 6 oz of mixer

Wine= 6 oz of 6 oz.

I found a really cool explanation of this-

I have a quirky calculus I will employ to figure out how much I have had to drink. It was basically borne out of the growth of higher alcohol, craft beers and the bigger American wines that seem to have proliferated. Since I commonly change drinks over the course of the meal, it helps to comprehend the amount of intoxicant consumed.

Fundamentally, one just takes the percentage of alcohol and multiplies it by the ounces in each drink. Thus, a shot of tequila is 40 x 1.5 for 60 booze points. A bottle of Flying Dog's Raging B**ch beer is 12 x 8.5 for 102 points. A big pour of a punchy Zinfandel might be over 130. It's easy to see that from a "gettin' drunk" perspective, a drink is not always just a drink - even if ethanol is always ethanol.

I can nurse mixed drinks all night, but two glasses of wine is my limit. This is probably the reasoning for liquor shots being popular. Not to mention...boxed wine! :D

The key is 6 oz of mixer. I've seen a serious drinker polish off a medium sized bottle of jack, neat, over the course of several hours then try to drive until the host (me) physically took their keys.

Spirits= 1 oz in 6 oz of mixer

Wine= 6 oz of 6 oz.

I found a really cool explanation of this-

I have a quirky calculus I will employ to figure out how much I have had to drink. It was basically borne out of the growth of higher alcohol, craft beers and the bigger American wines that seem to have proliferated. Since I commonly change drinks over the course of the meal, it helps to comprehend the amount of intoxicant consumed.

Fundamentally, one just takes the percentage of alcohol and multiplies it by the ounces in each drink. Thus, a shot of tequila is 40 x 1.5 for 60 booze points. A bottle of Flying Dog's Raging B**ch beer is 12 x 8.5 for 102 points. A big pour of a punchy Zinfandel might be over 130. It's easy to see that from a "gettin' drunk" perspective, a drink is not always just a drink - even if ethanol is always ethanol.

I can nurse mixed drinks all night, but two glasses of wine is my limit. This is probably the reasoning for liquor shots being popular. Not to mention...boxed wine! :D

Archived