Empty Cabins

Do they exist? I know the cruise companies will adjust the prices according to the law of supply/demand and do their best to fill their beds. But surely some cruises do not go out full.

When it is known that X% are empty Y days before the cruise, do more people get upgraded or they simply sail empty? I guess I'm asking - Are the empty cabins typically interiors or junior suites?

Does a Royal/Owner Suite ever sail empty?

Do they exist? I know the cruise companies will adjust the prices according to the law of supply/demand and do their best to fill their beds. But surely some cruises do not go out full.

When it is known that X% are empty Y days before the cruise, do more people get upgraded or they simply sail empty? I guess I'm asking - Are the empty cabins typically interiors or junior suites?

Does a Royal/Owner Suite ever sail empty?

Upgrades will occur.

Leftover insides will be offered to RC employees at minuscule rates - cost of taxes/fees only, I believe.

Leftover insides will be offered to crew members for family members.

Some insides will remain empty.

An empty RS will be BINGOed off.

I dont know if this answers your question:

We did a B2B on the AOS out of San Juan on Jan 6th this year. We booked the same cabin 7616 for both cruises so we wouldnt have to move. When we checked in we found out we had been upgraded to a Jr Suite 9264 for the first cruise.

We asked just about everyone if it was possible to stay in the Jr Suite for the second week. During our inquiries we found out that 7616 was not being used by passengers, but an officer who was on his week vacation.

So after our upgrade 7616 was vacant and probably would have gone vacant if that officer had not occupied it that week.

And we do know for sure that he was in there because on the last day we were hanging out in the corridor near 7616 so we would know when it was empty, and we could move our stuff. We saw him go into the room and two workers with a trolley pulled out a huge foot locker and several dress shirts, and they all three left together.

On a side note: that officer had smoked in the cabin, it really wreaked when we went in, but our cabin steward washed the walls and changed all the linens so when we went back it almost not noticeable.

We did a B2B on the AOS out of San Juan on Jan 6th this year. We booked the same cabin 7616 for both cruises so we wouldnt have to move. When we checked in we found out we had been upgraded to a Jr Suite 9264 for the first cruise.

We asked just about everyone if it was possible to stay in the Jr Suite for the second week. During our inquiries we found out that 7616 was not being used by passengers, but an officer who was on his week vacation.

So after our upgrade 7616 was vacant and probably would have gone vacant if that officer had not occupied it that week.

And we do know for sure that he was in there because on the last day we were hanging out in the corridor near 7616 so we would know when it was empty, and we could move our stuff. We saw him go into the room and two workers with a trolley pulled out a huge foot locker and several dress shirts, and they all three left together.

On a side note: that officer had smoked in the cabin, it really wreaked when we went in, but our cabin steward washed the walls and changed all the linens so when we went back it almost not noticeable.

interesting about the smoking in the cabin as it is prohibited.

Dang, an officer had a week vacation and he stays ON the ship...Must be for convenience or budget purposes. I can imagine most people that work on board would like nothing more than a week OFF the ship!

Dang, an officer had a week vacation and he stays ON the ship...Must be for convenience or budget purposes. I can imagine most people that work on board would like nothing more than a week OFF the ship!

He could have been moving to another assignment.

According to RCCL's 2012 financials, occupancy was 104.4% for 2012, so not many empty cabins.

104% - hmmmm. OK, I'll dine at a table with strangers:(, but I'm not sharing a cabin!!! Well, depends...........................

The 104% takes into account the cabins that can hold more than 2 people. I would imagine that 100% (or close to it) is all cabins with 2 people in them and the extra 4% is those cabins that have more than 2 people.

You are correct, for accounting purposes they define 100% occupancy as 2 guests in every stateroom, regardless of stateroom type.

Archived