"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

What are the other ports of call usually when Royal Caribbean ships leave from Cape Liberty?

April -October 5 night Bermuda, 9nt Bermuda/Eastern Carribean, SJU, St. Maarteen

Labadee. Various other Itins in November to April including the Bahamas and the eastern Carribean. (9,10,11,12 nights)

April -October 5 night Bermuda, 9nt Bermuda/Eastern Carribean, SJU, St. Maarteen

Labadee. Various other Itins in November to April including the Bahamas and the eastern Carribean. (9,10,11,12 nights)

and like today she arrived a short while ago in Port Canaveral too :)

For those that think it would not be profitable enough to base a Quantum class ship in New Jersey or think that the port is too ugly for one, think again. The New York metropolitan area is one of the most populous and affluent markets that Royal Caribbean services. Why do you think that Norwegian put Breakaway in New York doing a rather mundane Bermuda itinerary? Because they will make "boatloads" of money doing it! NCL is charging nearly twice the fare on Breakaway as they are getting on older ships with the same itinerary. And they are filling those Breakaway sailings up! People don't want to fly if they don't have to. Explorer has been there a long time and done quite well. Even Europeans will like embarking from there to take advantage of a few days in NYC pre-cruise.

Why build a ship that is "cold weather friendly" if you are going to port it in Florida?

I would be shocked if Quantum and Anthem wind up sailing from anyplace other than Southampton, England and Port Liberty, NJ. In my mind the only question is which one goes to which port.

I for one, would sail more if there were more options close to home. I'm excited for the possibility of a new shipping coming to my home state.

Great find, OP.....another clue added to my excitement.:)

My thinking is that though Cape Liberty might not be a bad choice, the 9/5 night Bahama runs aren't going to be profitable enough for a new ship of this caliber (though it is quite possible that a 9 night voyage could present a decent premium). For all those that desire a ship to go back to the West Coast, this is precisely why they left: they can make more money elsewhere.

I seriously doubt that a new ship in NY/NJ market would not be profitable. Explorer still has premium prices on their sailings and she is what 11, 12 years old? Celebrity Summit in NJ for Summer also has premium prices...another older ship. Crown Princess (new at the time) came to NY offering 9 day Caribbean and at that time those prices were higher than 10 -12 day Europe cruises. NCL's new ship out of NY this year also has some crazy high pricing. Personally, I think the demand is here and the people are ready and willing to pay for it.

Thanks for the information :D

What route do you think Quantum might do ?

If she is to be in St.Maarten on 5th Dec...what then would be her embarkation date do you think ?

I didn't read the whole blog but we are just off Brilliance on Saturday and they announded at the returning guest C & A event that the ships had been named that day and they would sail in the fall of 14 and spring of 15 I believe-they will be Freedom size with add on's

If Quantum sails out of Cape Liberty, what might Explorer do than?

I think the Explorer will replace the Majesty. We all know the Majesty is going to leave the fleet sometime soon, it's just a matter of when, and RCL didn't do that test of turning a Voyager class in Key West for nothing.

Thanks for the information :D

What route do you think Quantum might do ?

If she is to be in St.Maarten on 5th Dec...what then would be her embarkation date do you think ?

Unknown if it would be a 9, 10 or 11nt Voyage. I guess we will find out shortly ?? :)

Guest maddycat
I kinda like the old warehouse type of feeling, lol.

I actually could not agree more, I like the terminal there. Its just a building to check in, and get to the beautiful ship awaiting you to take you on a great vacation. I don't understand the complaints about the terminal, but there are a lot, so maybe I am wrong.

I agree with both comments concerning the terminal at Cape Liberty. It's just a place to check in and get on the ship. It's functional, dry, has heat, ac, restrooms, chairs, etc. Who cares whether it's new and beautiful. The ship is the important thing.

and like today she arrived a short while ago in Port Canaveral too :)

Yes, i'm on Explorer right now, at Port Canaveral. Tomorrow is Nassau, then CocoCay, then 2 days at sea back to Bayonne. Cape Liberty is a pain, as far as traffic goes, when arriving for a cruise. It backs up for a good 45 minutes...so not my favorite place. Then they make you ride that bus for a few measly feet, and board on deck 1, which is not as impressive as boarding into the centrum or royal promenade. But, that won't keep me away. It's just not my favorite.

Peter

Hi emmy!

Nope. The first date listed is actually December 2014. That timeline matches up quite well with when Quantum of the Seas is expected to come out. With a scheduled October 2014 delivery to RCI, they would then maybe do a few shorter cruises to show her off. Plus the 12 or so day Trans-Atlantic. So you are looking at a late November 2014 start date for normal scheduled cruises from her home port.

Won't happen in October 2014, my opinion.

I was on the Explorer last week. This is what I took away from the questions at the top tier event.

Explorer OTS will get its refit in 2015 and no replacement will happen until then.

Straight from the captain and hotel director; "There is a strong possibly Anthem OTS will replace Explorer OTS; IF.... a new terminal is built by 2015 @ Port Liberty." Sounded to me that unless a new terminal is built, a Quantum ship will not dock in NJ. The Captain and the Hotel Director sounded pretty firm about the new terminal being a deal breaker. Because adding 1,000 more passengers to the existing terminal and tram setup would overwhelm the boarding process.

Everyone is speculating, and no one's information is any better than anyone else.

Won't happen in October 2014, my opinion.

I was on the Explorer last week. This is what I took away from the questions at the top tier event.

Explorer OTS will get its refit in 2015 and no replacement will happen until then.

Straight from the captain and hotel director; "There is a strong possibly Anthem OTS will replace Explorer OTS; IF.... a new terminal is built by 2015 @ Port Liberty." Sounded to me that unless a new terminal is built, a Quantum ship will not dock in NJ. The Captain and the Hotel Director sounded pretty firm about the new terminal being a deal breaker. Because adding 1,000 more passengers to the existing terminal and tram setup would overwhelm the boarding process.

Everyone is speculating, and no one's information is any better than anyone else.

The Captain, Hotel Director, Chief Purser on the EXOS in 2006 stated that the New Liberty Of The Seas would be replacing the EXOS in 2007. I'M still waiting :)

LOL, good point. They are probably speculating themselves. Who knows, but it's fun!

And every year here on Cruise Critic since 2007 in the Months of March & April (New Itin's released for the following Year) we always speculated that a "New" Freedom class ship would replace our beloved EXOS. I will miss the EXOS which we sailed on 11 times since her arrival to Bayonne. I'M glad that we have 2 more trips on here in our favorite D-1 Aft Corner Cabin. :)

so do i....it works...ugly, but well...i like it. less than an hour from casa megr1125 to the ship...i am there..

Parkway to the Turnpike only a 45min trip for us here in Northern Ocean County. Nice and convient :)

Fingers crossed :D Would be nice to have a different port for a change for an Inaugural :D

I'M hoping for a Thanksgiving cruise on her in 2014. I have the NCL Breakaway booked also

for our Thanksgiving 2014, but the Itin sucks :(

Yes, i'm on Explorer right now, at Port Canaveral. Tomorrow is Nassau, then CocoCay, then 2 days at sea back to Bayonne. Cape Liberty is a pain, as far as traffic goes, when arriving for a cruise. It backs up for a good 45 minutes...so not my favorite place. Then they make you ride that bus for a few measly feet, and board on deck 1, which is not as impressive as boarding into the centrum or royal promenade. But, that won't keep me away. It's just not my favorite.

Peter

Hi emmy!

Hi back at ya Peter ~ watched you sail into Port Canaveral today!

Fourth Thursday in November, 27-Nov-2014

Thanks Bob :D

Isn't Thanksgiving usually an expensive time to fly ? With the cost of an Inaugural sailing usually more expensive than other cruises I would guess Royal Caribbean will do the Inaugural after Thanksgiving...but hey I could be wrong of course.

Great find, OP.....another clue added to my excitement.:)

I seriously doubt that a new ship in NY/NJ market would not be profitable. Explorer still has premium prices on their sailings and she is what 11, 12 years old? Celebrity Summit in NJ for Summer also has premium prices...another older ship. Crown Princess (new at the time) came to NY offering 9 day Caribbean and at that time those prices were higher than 10 -12 day Europe cruises. NCL's new ship out of NY this year also has some crazy high pricing. Personally, I think the demand is here and the people are ready and willing to pay for it.

It's not that EOS or QOS will not be profitable. It is ensuring the maximum profit by having the maximum margin. Keep in mind that Mariner was profitable when out of L.A. to Mexico. RCI determined that it could make more money with a different itinerary and moved it - despite that also very large contingent of folks who did drive to the port.

EOS does have a premium over Jewel, but not by much. And it does not have a premium over Oasis. The suggestion of Breakaway doing "boatloads" of money; it's premium is barely above EOS, but is already publishing prices that are less than EOS. And this is the new flagship which should be commanding a significant premium - especially since there definitely won't be a Quantum of the Seas in the same run for at least 18 months.

Oasis/Allure set the bar for Quantum/Anthem, such that prices for equivalent cabins should be at least the price as Oasis/Allure. Why: because they could easily move Oasis to the Mediteranean after her dry dock (which would allow her to continue getting the current - or more per cabin). Then move Quantum to Oasis's previous route and get more than what Oasis is getting now. The question then is if Quantum can reasonably sustain $1500 to $2000 pp for a balcony stateroom (possibly adjusted by local cost differences) if running out of the New York area with a Bermuda/Bahama/Caribbean/Canada run? Because it can if it took Oasis's spot (and Oasis possibly does better - shareholders like this).

Further, local passengers still don't make up any majority on the major ships (with the possible exception of ships sailing from San Juan), so though there probably will be more interest from locals, it is important that this isn't offset by a reduction of traveling passengers (which will drop demand, and drop prices). Not to mention potential bad press/goodwill should the inaugural winter months be mired by weather.

Demand has been good for EOS, but it still hasn't been as good as Oasis or Allure. I am unconvinced that this market can sustain the new flagship of RCI. And RCCL shareholders don't care about appeasing locals, but maximizing profits which is best suited by best matching ships, ports, itineraries and prices. But again, I don't have the marketing studies, and I don't make the decision.

Then again, maybe what it will do is similar to what Royal Princess is doing: have a couple of months of "tour" cruises before settling into it's home port.

Archived