"Sunshine" or Quantum of the Seas from Cape Liberty,Starting Decembe 2014 ???

FIRELT5

Thanks Bob :D

Isn't Thanksgiving usually an expensive time to fly ? With the cost of an Inaugural sailing usually more expensive than other cruises I would guess Royal Caribbean will do the Inaugural after Thanksgiving...but hey I could be wrong of course.

Yes, Thanksgiving is a very big travel period here in the US.

Just got off the Independence Charter. In the Q&A session, which was held the afternoon following the press release, the RCI Charter Manager announced the ship names to us. He said one would replace Explorer at Port Liberty.

This is only worth 2 cents, as all CC members know information from crew is rarely infallible.

I would be in heaven if it came to NJ. I travel to my sis in PA quite often and pass right by, love it when a ship is in port. While most of our cruises lately have been more exotic, we might be inclined to fit in a caribbean one more often if it were nearby.

I would understand that for embarkation/debarkations that go well, its the ship is late ones where you might be stuck there for hours where that could be a pain.

I have been in many airports where there were delays, I can't remember thinking well at least this is a nice building. If you are delayed, all terminals suck. I live two hours away from port liberty so it was very convenient to drive to the port. I was also able to take a nine day cruise for less money than flying to florida and taking a five day cruise. With that said I am more than happy to check in at a converted warehouse, especially if it involves going on Explorer or a new ship!

My first thought was, this means nothing, celeb doesn't arrive in San Juan til that afternoon, but the evidence is pretty strong.

I agree as many of suspected for so long that one goes to Bayonne.

It's the other that has me stumped...

My first thought was Alaska/Pacific Northwest.

But then I have a hard time believing one of these new builds won't be in florida, even if it were built for colder weather.

I think Indy and Adventure going to Southampton is probably all they will get.

I think the big question remains what ship will hand San Juan.... could one of the sunshines spend part year there, and the other part in alaska?

I also can see Explorer replacing Majesty. Hmmm.... the chess game.

They will NOT send a ship to Alaska that cannot go through the Panama Canal.

For sure the old canal, but when the new one is finished the cruse line might look at it differently. They have a couple of years till that occurs though.

My first thought was, this means nothing, celeb doesn't arrive in San Juan til that afternoon, but the evidence is pretty strong.

But then I have a hard time believing one of these new builds won't be in florida, even if it were built for colder weather.

I think the big question remains what ship will hand San Juan.... could one of the sunshines spend part year there, and the other part in alaska?

I was told by the Adventure's concierge that the AOS is probably moving to Florida after the 2014 refurbishment. Disney Cruise Line announced yesterday that the Magic is going to homeport from San Juan in 2014. I'm not going to play the chess game, but I'm allowed to dream :) And most of us agree that the Southern Caribbean is the best!!

FYI...I pulled up the list that the OP is referring to and all is says is SUNSHINE...Carnival has a ship coming out this year called Sunshine so I would still be hesitate to accept that info until it says "Quantum of the Seas" cause that could be Carnival Sunshine listed there...

Just Saying!

PS I will jump to NCL Breakaway for at least 1 cruise to say I sailed her...

For those questioning this and thinking it must be the Carnival Sunshine, all you have to do is look at the unique port times to see that this is Quantum of the Seas taking the place of EOS. The very unique 12:15 arrival time should be clue enough. If you look further you can see that the dates and port times are direct drop-in replacements for Explorer of the Seas.

Look at the Month of May for the next 3 years for instance....

Monday, May 6, 2013 12:15 - 20:00 Explorer of the Seas

Monday, May 20, 2013 12:15 - 20:00 Explorer of the Seas

Monday, May 12, 2014 12:15 - 20:00 Explorer of the Seas

Monday, May 26, 2014 12:15 - 20:00 Explorer of the Seas

Monday, May 11, 2015 12:15 - 20:00 Sunshine

Monday, May 25, 2015 12:15 - 20:00 Sunshine

FYI...I pulled up the list that the OP is referring to and all is says is SUNSHINE...Carnival has a ship coming out this year called Sunshine so I would still be hesitate to accept that info until it says "Quantum of the Seas" cause that could be Carnival Sunshine listed there...

Just Saying!

PS I will jump to NCL Breakaway for at least 1 cruise to say I sailed her...

Hi Jeanne,

The first post I have quoted above shows why we believe it is Quantum rather than Carnival Sunshine :D

I think it's final location will be NJ/NY, but not before it helps out in FLL. I think it will be at Pier 17 in FLL while Oasis is in dry dock, which is the fall of 2014. Many CCers say that RC promised Port Everglages with lots of people through there and with only one of the big girls there it will drop their numbers greatly. With Allure being in dry dock the next year, that will also have an effect on those numbers.

My guess is when Oasis returns then the Sunshine class ship will head up the coast to NJ. If other CCers say the terminal sucks in NJ would they be willing to send it there ASAP, or fulfill the needs of FLL? It might be for a period of 3 months of Oasis dry dock time. I am not sure how long it would take to build a new terminal in NJ, but even simple construction will take at least a year from start to finish.

Hopefully the third Oasis class ship would be done in time for Allure to go to dry dock, and they would swap with each other. Perhaps Allure will go as soon as Oasis is done as there is only a years age difference. If that was the case Quantum could stay in FLL a bit longer and at the same time the new terminal in NJ is being finished. But, as I think about it that plan wouldn't work as ship schedules just don't get changed a drop of a hat. When the new terminal is completed in NJ they have a relatively new ship to sail on.

Lets face it, where ever she goes to the people will follow. NJ or FLL our family will be there.

Just some complemlation,

Andrew

I think it's final location will be NJ/NY, but not before it helps out in FLL. I think it will be at Pier 17 in FLL while Oasis is in dry dock, which is the fall of 2014. Many CCers say that RC promised Port Everglages with lots of people through there and with only one of the big girls there it will drop their numbers greatly. With Allure being in dry dock the next year, that will also have an effect on those numbers.

My guess is when Oasis returns then the Sunshine class ship will head up the coast to NJ. If other CCers say the terminal sucks in NJ would they be willing to send it there ASAP, or fulfill the needs of FLL? It might be for a period of 3 months of Oasis dry dock time. I am not sure how long it would take to build a new terminal in NJ, but even simple construction will take at least a year from start to finish.

Hopefully the third Oasis class ship would be done in time for Allure to go to dry dock, and they would swap with each other. Perhaps Allure will go as soon as Oasis is done as there is only a years age difference

Oasis will have had her dry dock before Quantum comes out. Her drydock should be 6 weeks approx.

The third Oasis Class will not be built before Allure's drydock in 2015.

Why do people still keep thinking that Oasis is going to take an eternity while in dry dock and therefore RC needs another ship to take over. Sept/Oct is hurricane season and the demand is low.

What can happen is that after dry dock Oasis will be home ported somewhere else and thus Quantum taking over.

If you look at the December 2013 schedule, Enchantment of the Seas is still scheduled to be in St. Maarten on December 6, 2013. This is probably left over from a tentative schedule of a few years ago, but it hasn't been updated yet to remove it.

So, I have to agree that the 2015 schedule is tentative. It's probably plan A to have Quantum of the Seas sail out of Cape Liberty (or maybe a return to the Manhattan Cruise terminal) and sail routes that include St. Maarten; but I wouldn't read a tentative schedule of port calls for 2015 to be conclusive of Quantum replacing Explorer.

Despite the times on the calendar, this is far enough out that it could easily change. When Mariner was cruising the Mexican Riviera, port schedules showed her visiting long after she left (though I think they were all updated by the time she left).

I guess we will find out more in the coming months.

M

Good question - but Sunshine in Alaka I do not think so. ;)

San Juan is an interesting question - I think between winter 2014 and spring 2015, Adventure and Jewel could sail there.

But which ship could sail form San Juan in summer 2014? :confused:

For sure the old canal, but when the new one is finished the cruse line might look at it differently. They have a couple of years till that occurs though.

RCI also has a couple of years until they have the second of the "Sunshine" ships to deploy.

Can we all get some "consultant's fees" for doing all this planning for the corporation? :D

Ray in NH

Why do people still keep thinking that Oasis is going to take an eternity while in dry dock and therefore RC needs another ship to take over. Sept/Oct is hurricane season and the demand is low.

What can happen is that after dry dock Oasis will be home ported somewhere else and thus Quantum taking over.

Quantum is not scheduled to float out of the MW building dock before mid-October, which means she won't be transferred to RCL until mid-November, so any thought of slotting her in to backstop Oasis is pretty much a moot point. She will probably not do her maiden cruise until after Thanksgiving.

If you look at the December 2013 schedule, Enchantment of the Seas is still scheduled to be in St. Maarten on December 6, 2013. This is probably left over from a tentative schedule of a few years ago, but it hasn't been updated yet to remove it.

So, I have to agree that the 2015 schedule is tentative. It's probably plan A to have Quantum of the Seas sail out of Cape Liberty (or maybe a return to the Manhattan Cruise terminal) and sail routes that include St. Maarten; but I wouldn't read a tentative schedule of port calls for 2015 to be conclusive of Quantum replacing Explorer.

In the spring of 2006, the BLRA enters into a 35-year, $140 million agreement with Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines, ie Cape Liberty.

I highly doubt that RCCl will be going back to Manhattan.

This is what I have suggested as the baseline for pricing Quantum. Oasis can not only retain her pricing, it could increase if moved somewhere in the Mediterranean. And Quantum would cause an increase in price per berth taking Oasis' slot. This is nearly a guaranteed revenue stream, so any other choice has to be at least as good.

Quantum is not scheduled to float out of the MW building dock before mid-October, which means she won't be transferred to RCL until mid-November, so any thought of slotting her in to backstop Oasis is pretty much a moot point. She will probably not do her maiden cruise until after Thanksgiving.

May not be such a big problem As noted, there is lower demand in these months, so it might work with just Allure. And certainly Independence could do it's transatlantic earlier to make up the required terminal load.

Lets look at the booking trends of the Breakaway which will homeport in Manhattan starting in May.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/8698-sheehan-ncl-on-growth-trajectory.html

You would expect execs of a company to suggest bookings are doing well (and from their perspective, maybe they are). But less than three months from the transatlantic and maiden voyage, there are still lots of cabins available.

They will NOT send a ship to Alaska that cannot go through the Panama Canal.
The current ships doing Alaska go to Australia for the winter and don't go through the canal. Voyager and Mariner are, or will be, in that hemisphere and could easily do Alaska cruises without needing a canal transit.

Archived